Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phone interviews
Mata
post Nov 8 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've got a phone interview on Monday. Has anyone had one of these before? How did it go? I'm really not sure what to expect!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 8 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #2

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I've done a few. They're ok just usual interview stuff queston's etc. Do your usual interview research except you can have it all layed out in front of you rather than having to remeber it completely.
If they're interested you'll propbably get a face to face interview then.

Oh! Yeh and you dont need to wear a suit! tongue.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 8 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #3

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I've had plenty and in my experience they're just the usual interview questions and not usually very in depth - I'd expect the whole thing to last less than 20 minutes. Usually they just do it to narrow down the number of people they see in person, which is where the more indepth stuff comes in - make sure not to say anything on the phone that you'll regret them pulling you up on in person.

One thing I liked about having phone interviews before the real interview was the ability to make certain of things before going in for a real interview, dress code and stuff like that. Standard interview technique of having some good questions ready to ask at the end and not probing too deeply about pay, holiday and that sort of thing applies.

Like Cath said having notes infront of you is a good idea (though try to make sure they don't hear paper rustling before every answer tongue.gif). When I was looking for a job I had a few pages of standard answers to awkward interview questions printed out in case of badly timed mental block along with a bunch of information on the company (really useful when they ask what you know about them), my CV and whatever else seemed like it would be useful.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 8 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #4

Interesting, you both sound like you prepare a lot more than me. I do some research about the company and products, but I suspect I usually know a fair bit about the company otherwise I wouldn't want to work for them!

A face to face interview could be interesting - they're based in Amsterdam! I hope they cover travel costs smile.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 9 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

Where would you be working from if you got the job (what with them being based in Amsterdam)?
Congrats on the interview and fingers crossed that it goes well smile.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 9 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #6

I would be in Amsterdam. I've got an interview in London for a different job this afternoon. I really hope I get this one, it would be very cool. the Amsterdam one would be good too. If I got offered them both I'd have to think very hard about which to go for.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 9 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

Wow! Moving to Holland would be a big, but probably very fun thing to do. Not the moving part, but living there etc.

Good luck for both!

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 9 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #8

I've been brainwashed

*has fingers crossed*

Hehe! Mata think I'm prepare LMAO! Nope I just know what your surposed to do (had lot's of trainning in what I'm surposed to do over the years). Definate case of do what I say not what I do.

I've some friend who lived in Amsterdam for a couple of years, Ooo! and some dutch friends on WoW as well I can get information from if you do find your moving there

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Nov 9 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #9

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Good luck with both. smile.gif

For me the amount of preparation depended on the job. Applying to games industry jobs I didn't really need much info on the company but for the jobs I was applying to as backup (mostly financial companies I'd never heard of) I had a few sheets of info to hide the fact I knew barely anything about them.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Nov 10 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #10

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Phone interview? An abomination! The deity of your choice alone knows why people would try to do an interview without being able to observe the myriad physical reactions which hint at whether someone is lying, how they act under pressure, or even if you'll want to stab them in the face after ten minutes in the office.

As for travel expenses for interviews, look at it this way: If a company will expect you to relocate to suit them, what sort of beast are you dealing with if they won't spring for the price of the travel to have a look at you. While you want a job, they're advertising a position because they need a warm body. If they're not willing to make an outlay on that there's a very real question over how they will treat you if you work for them.

Note: This is all from the perspective of an ornery git, albeit one who has a fair amount of success once some poor fool is finally persuaded to let me walk around the workplace. They only find out their folly later.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #11

Most games software companies do two interviews to filter out timewasters (such as those that go to interviews with a company without having played their most recent games!). If I get a second interview I would expect that would be face to face, although it might be more practical for one of them to come to the UK rather than exporting all their potentials over to Dutchland.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 11 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #12

I've been brainwashed

Aye I think that's more likely the case. But Fuzzy has a point in if they wont pay your travel expences if they do want you to go out there then how would they treat you after. But I also dont think it would be to big a problem for them them what little I know about how the treat employies in europe (the little I know tends to lean to the alot better then they do here side).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 11 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Unfortunately I don't really know much about whatever benefits there would be with the company yet, but I do hear good things about European employers too.

If they do want me to jet off to Amsterdam for the day I would certainly hope that they would pay the fare! It would also be very cool because I could visit my favourite painting in the world, 'The Milkmaid' by Vermeer. http://www.essentialvermeer.com/catalogue/milkmaid.html

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 12 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Well, that went pretty well I think. It was a little odd in that it sort-of seemed like he was trying to work out if the job was good enough for me, not the other way around. How bizarre.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 13 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #15

I've been brainwashed

Hehe Cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:23 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!