IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weird email - surrealist email harvesting?
Mata
post Nov 16 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

In my shop, there's a contact form so people can send me questions. I've just had a very peculiar one:
A friend sent me this site, as i have just nearly been attacked by these birds yesterday, got the pics showing them after me, iff you want the pics e-mail me and i will send them to you. they are a bit out of focus but i was running at the time when they were going beserk, had my little dog with me was wondering iff this was the reason.
regards linda nash

I can't think of any reason this would have been sent to me, other than to try and scam my shop's email address from me. Am I just being too suspicious, or do you think I'm on the right track?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Nov 16 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Transdimensional Traveler

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,244

I would bet on the e-mail harvesting bit...

I received almost the same exact e-mail...

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Dec 4 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #3

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I must admit, that's pretty...uh..fascinating? Can't help but wonder why anyone would care about a bird attack...who writes these?

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 4 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #4

Well, it did get me wondering, which is more than most spam emails. I usually don't even read any of the words - just the page layout is enough to tell me it's junk, but this one really puzzled me. That's better than most spam manages, and it might get a reasonably high number of people replying, even if their response is only 'WHAT?'

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Dec 10 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Carcinogenic Donkey

Member No.: 1,656

Man, I never get spam as cool as that. I do get a lot of unintentionally surrealist (dadaist, perhaps?) spam, mind - the sort of spam where they've just harvested a load of text and strung it together automagically. Usually it's just enlightening gibberish, of course, but sometimes it's beautiful, or hilarious, or amazingly apt. Spam is not without its upsides, I find.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post
-TheKasbah-
post Dec 16 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #6

This guy has no life.

Member No.: 4,877

I just delete most of my emails if I don't know who they are from. It seems to work as I don't seem to catch viruses or anything.

--------------------
Kasabh.

I'm secretly dying to be, anything that you want me to be, we got hope dispersed through these regular intervals, keeping me intact.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 16 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #7

This one was definitely a scammer. They contacted me through my shop. It's always interesting seeing how far they think they can push it:

> Faiz Husaen wrote:
> > Dear sales,
> > my name is Faiz
> >
> > i'm an overseas costomer and after i browse your site, i ' d
> like an
> > order with you.
> > can delivery to indonesia using Air Postal Service (EMS)
> worldwide express.
> > by the way i ' d preffer using credit card for this payment, so
> please
> > confirm me what
> > type of credit card that you accept for this transaction payment.
> > thanks your attentions.
> > i hope you can confirm me shortly.
> >
> > best regards
> > Faiz

I'm not sure why, but scammers always place a lot of emphasis on the type of delivery service shops use. Maybe they don't want their stolen goods going missing?

I replied:
> Hi Faiz,
>
> I accept Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, and a few others.
>
> You will be reassured to know that I have bank-standard security
> checks
> on all credit card transactions on my site, which has resulted in
> local
> police arresting international credit card thieves when they have
> attempted fraudulent purchases, so your details will be completely
> safe
> with me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> The Matazone Shop

You'll note here the way that I have emphasised that anyone trying to scam me is going to get caught. I thought I'd give that a go, even though this indirect route has rarely worked in the past.

> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you so much for reply my email. After i browse your site, i interest for :
>
> - 6 Little Goth Girl - Do You Have My Size In Black, T size : Medium
> - 1 Corsets, Sophisticat - standard
> Available options:
> 1. Waist size - Please choose 2-4" below your natural size: 18"
2. Colour & Material (non-satin costs extra where indicated): Black satin
3. Suspenders (free): Black
4. Binding - the edging on your corset: Black
5. Back panel - covers skin under back-lacing: No thanks
>
> Do you have ready stock right now? if you have, please calculate for this order include shipping cost to Indonesia using Express Mail Service (EMS) or another local Postal Service.
>
> Thank you so much for your attention and looking foward hearing from you soon.
>
> With kind regards
> Faiz

You might notice here how the entire description of each item option is included. The options next to these are in drop-down boxes in the shop and so to get them easily included and numbered in an email then the simplest method is to put it all in your shopping cart then cut and paste the contents - at which point he would have been told the total cost.

I decided that I'd had enough of messing around by this point and went for the direct approach:
Hi Faiz,

If I don't have enough stock then I can get more made for you. The shop will calculate the cost and the shipping.

I never process card orders manually - it is always through the shop software. This prevents you from having to email your card details, which is an insecure method of communication. When you purchase through my shop software your credit card will be checked by international banking agencies to ensure that there is no problem with it, giving you absolute security during your transaction.

To get the details you have written in your email below, in the way that you have written them, suggests that you have already put the items into your cart in my shop, after doing this you then copied and pasted the cart's text into your email. You will already have seen the total amount that it will cost when you put them in your cart, and to see the shipping you would only have had to go through the checkout process until you reached the shipping stage. There is no need for me to calculate this for you, because the shop will do (and probably already has done) it for you.

I'll be honest with you: I've had people from Indonesia attempt to steal things from me before, using stolen credit cards, and usually ordering unusual combinations of items, such as six of one particular style. Those people were reported to their local police and arrested for fraud. I felt bad about this, because I understand that they were probably in a bad situation and trying to make a living; however, this shop is currently my only source of income and I need to make a living too. Stealing from my shop by trying to use other people's card numbers is the same as people walking into my home and stealing my food. I sincerely hope that you are not like those people, but I am a naturally cautious person.

It strikes me as odd that you don't simply place the order yourself through my shop, instead asking me to calculate the cost for you, and it seems strange that you want six of the same T-shirt, all in the same size. This is a pattern I've seen before, from people all over the world, and it's never ended happily. Whenever I've seen this pattern, whether the person is from Africa, Indonesia, or America, it always ends up with people trying to steal from me. I am not accusing you of this, but I am making you aware that if you were to attempt to use stolen credit card numbers to trick me out of my living, it would be a crime, and I would make sure that your local authorities heard about it. If I tell you in advance about the security that your transaction would go through, and you chose not to do it, then no crime would have happened and we can both go on with our lives, me without a sense of guilt, and you without police looking for you. If you are a person who wants to use stolen cards then I hope you can see that I am very aware of this type of crime, and I would prefer you to not try because it won't end well for you if you do.

So, in summary, I really do hope that your enquiry is open and honest, and I apologise for what I have written above if that is the case. Please understand my caution, because I have had people attempt to steal from me before and your enquiry does bear similarities to those times. If you were looking to use stolen card numbers then I beg you to please find an honest way of working, rather than stealing from someone on the other side of the world. I am one man trying to make a living. If you are genuinely interested in buying from me then please place your order through my shop like everyone else in the world does.

Best regards,

Mata

I didn't get an answer to that one. Possibly because the person was real and offended, but I sincerely doubt it. I wasn't lying when I said I've seen this exact pattern before, but previously it has always come from Africa, usually Nigeria although sometimes other countries, and even America has people trying this. My favourite one was a Nigerian guy who, through a process of Googling for information, I found his photo and home address. That one was even more clearly trying to scam me than Faiz Husaen, so I had no problem with emailing him the details that I had found and suggesting that if he did scam me then I would be in touch with his local police station (which I also gave the contact details for).

Like I say, I'd feel mean doing this, but I've got a business to run too.

For the sake of people googling for info on this person, in case he contacts them and they are uncertain about his veracity, his email address was faizhusaen@gmail.com .

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:57 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!