post Feb 7 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

Gung hay fat choy!

Happy Chinese New Year.
*sets off fireworks*

Should be a great start to the year. I've sweets and pumpkins seeds ready to take into work and for home. This weekend I'm off to Chinatown to watch the Dragon and Lion dances.
I was born in the year of the Rat which hopefully means that this is my year.
biggrin.gif

Good Luck, Good Fortune and Good Health!

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 7 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Happy new year!

That's the Cantonese phrase, and apparently it doesn't really mean 'happy new year'. It means something like 'may your pockets be bulging in the future'. I'm told the translation is tricky. There was a Mandarin phrase that I was told which does actually mean happy new year. I pronounced it surprisingly well (judging by the delighted reaction of a nearby old Chinese lady) but only because I echoed it, and I then forgot it instantly!

I'm a dragon. My birthday slips into the main 1976 Chinese year despite being born in 1977, because it's slightly before the Chinese calendar's switch over. It was also a fire element year, making me a fire dragon, which is apparently the most dragony dragon you can be. Theoretically I'm eccentric, intelligent, but sometimes a bit detached. So... Nothing like me at all then *cough*

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 7 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

No not at all Mata I cant see what they would mean in the slightest. tongue.gif

I'm a wood bunny/hare/cat which means Rabbits are kind, affectionate but often over cautious and can be superficial at times.

Oops forgot to say Happy New Year. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
selina
post Feb 7 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,357

happy chinese new year to everyone!

i didn't know Britons are familiar with this custom. =) i also didn't realise there are dragon and lion dances there too. Are there a lot of chinese in England? or in UK for that matter.

oh mata, if i know it right, think that phrase is "sin nien kuai luh".
oh and i heard that this year is a good year for dragons monkeys and rats.

cheers to you all!

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Feb 7 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #5

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Happy New Year! *bark* Yeah, I'm a doggy!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 7 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #6

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I'm an Earth Dragon. Apparently, my favourite colour is green/ blue. Also:
Dragons are usually popular people, but because of their personalities, they seem to gather as much criticism as they do esteem. Due to their tumultuous temperaments, Dragons are not the most sensitive friends to those in need of a shoulder to cry on. Those who truly know the Dragon know he is a loving soul who will become your best ally in times of need. Once the dynamic Dragon has given his friendship, he will not let his friends down and will never falter in his allegiance to his companions. To a Dragon, a friend is a friend for a lifetime. Incredibly honest, Dragons are known for sincerity and are trusting souls. Because of this honesty, Dragons don't realize others may not demonstrate or uphold the same codes of ethics. Making the discovery that they placed their trust in someone who is dishonest makes the Dragon person quite sad, yet much more perceptive for future encounters.

Compatible Friends

Best Friends: Rats and Monkeys

Mortal Enemy: Dogs

Sorry Izzy tongue.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Feb 7 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Yay happy new year! Chinese New Year is the bomb; I'm impossibly depressed about missing out this year (though apparently all Horses are supposed to have a god-awful time in the year of the rat.)

I'm probably seduced by the vagueness of it all, but I think I'm pretty Horse-ish. Metal Horses are, apparently, stubborn, impatient and sometimes mean. Into and enjoy people but like being alone. Except for the whole "you are awesome at getting the makeouts" I think I am your basic Horse.

Man, best holiday ever. Making people get all introspective and then lots of tasty food, fireworks and crazy puppeteering skills. Regular New Year kind of sucks next to this.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Feb 8 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #8

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

*Looks up Dog stuff*
People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other peopleˇ¦s confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.

That is insanely accurate.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Eli
post Feb 8 2008, 01:14 AM
Post #9

M.I.A.

Member No.: 7,112

QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 7 2008, 07:17 PM) *
*Looks up Dog stuff*
People born in the Year of the Dog possess the best traits of human nature. They have a deep sense of loyalty, are honest, and inspire other peopleˇ¦s confidence because they know how to keep secrets. But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money. They can be cold emotionally and sometimes distant at parties. They can find fault with many things and are noted for their sharp tongues. Dog people make good leaders. They are compatible with those born in the Years of the Horse, Tiger, and Rabbit.

That is insanely accurate.

"But Dog People are somewhat selfish, terribly stubborn, and eccentric. They care little for wealth, yet somehow always seem to have money."-That is soo true.

*get bored and searches up chinese new year stuff*
Anyways, in other news, I'm a cold-hearted sarcastic water rooster who has a serious case of narcolepsy. I have cynical mind and a laid-back attitude. I am one hardcore devil of a water rooster.

--------------------
"I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failure to live up to these possibilities." -Ayn Rand

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Feb 8 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #10

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

QUOTE (selina @ Feb 7 2008, 05:31 PM) *
oh mata, if i know it right, think that phrase is "sin nien kuai luh".

That sort of looks like what I vagely remember it being, woo! I studied chinese for a while when I was college (there were optional language lessons we could take in addition to our A-levels) and thats one of the few things I remember. I don't know the proper pinyin for it but it sounded like "shin nien how ya" and we sang a song! Must have looked hilarious to anyone who could actually speak the language smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 8 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #11

You were probably unintentionally swearing vigorously while trying to discuss butterflies biggrin.gif

Yes Selina, that does sound familiar to the phrase that I parroted.

More about dragons:
People born in the Year of the Dragon are healthy, energetic, excitable, short-tempered, and stubborn. They are also honest, sensitive, brave, and they inspire confidence and trust. Dragon people are the most eccentric of any in the eastern zodiac. They neither borrow money nor make flowery speeches, but they tend to be soft-hearted which sometimes gives others an advantage over them. They are compatible with Rats, Snakes, Monkeys, and Roosters.

I wouldn't say that I was short-tempered but otherwise that's about right.

Fire dragon:
The Fire Dragon - challenging, compassionate, fair, motivated by aspiration and is virtuous.

Well, yes, but doesn't everyone think that about themselves?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Feb 8 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #12

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Happy New year all - May your year of the rat be a good one smile.gif

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Feb 8 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 8 2008, 01:16 PM) *
You were probably unintentionally swearing vigorously while trying to discuss butterflies biggrin.gif

yep! It was quite fun though, and apparently there was a photo of me writing chinese characters in our prospectus thingy! cool.gif

I'm a rabbit, and according to wikipedia that means I'd make an excellent president.

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 9 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #14

I've often thought we need more rabbits in office: free carrots and condoms for everyone. I'd vote for that.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:20 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!