IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Of 2008, Get yer nominations in now!
Industrial Kybos...
post May 31 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

Whenever year's end comes round, I can never reliably remember which albums have really floated my boat. With that in mind, I invite you all to give props to the quality releases of the year as they happen. It needn't just be albums either - good films you've watched, quality televisual entertainment and excellent gaming has its place herein also.

Sticking to the albums, I've been all over the following:

Portishead - Third. Not every 'head fan's cup of char, but I love it. Very different to the earlier triphop days, but still a tremendous release.

Pete And The Pirates - Little Death. Ramshackle indie-rock, low on originality but high on tunes and energy, there's not a single song on it that doesn't put some bounce 'n' swagger in my step.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes. Only listened to it for the first time yesterday after it dropped through the letterbox from Rough Trade, but it had an instant effect on me. Several times during listening I had to drop what I was doing, lean my head back, close my eyes and soak up the harmonic beauty.

A further shout is needed for the Rough Trade Shops Counter Culture 07 comp, too. Technicallt the best of last year, its release in the early months of this one qualifies it for entry. A simply stunning comp packed with a little bit of everything, and a cherry on top.

There will be more, I don't doubt...

--------------------
the
end
is
nice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 31 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

For me, Camille's Music Hole is a brilliant album. Although without the French cuteness of her last one, this record has her miaowing.
I think Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip's first offering of Angles is definitely in my top list so far, as is The Inevitable Rise And Liberation Of Niggy Tardust by Saul Williams.
Ditto on the Portishead.

Edit- just remembered. You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into by Does It Offend You, Yeah? has to be on there too.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Felander
post Jun 15 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #3

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

Frank Turner - Love, Ire and Song. It's a fanastic second album. Frank sounds more polished and professional, without compromising his sound.

Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. For no other reason than it was free ¨_¨

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 16 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing. Enjoying that one mightily.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Nov 22 2008, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Light On The Surface

Possibly my favourite album of the year now is 'Dear Science' by TV On The Radio. Utter perfection from start to finish - I was totally sold on it within the first three tracks.

Also 'Inside Over Here' by Rozi Plain. So impossibly lovely that it's almost hard to believe that it was created by a real person, and not transported mystically to us from an etherial plane of folky joy. Thanks, Daria. wink.gif

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Nov 22 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #6

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

I think Leo should nominate Rihanna. tongue.gif

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Nov 22 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Light On The Surface

I think leo would like to do something to Rihanna, but I don't know if 'nominate' is the right verb... wink.gif

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 23 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Flobots - Fight with Tools. Mhari put me onto that one with a few tracks. It's really not something I'd usually listen to, but the live band and lyrical content just makes it for me.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Nov 24 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #9

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

QUOTE (Yannick @ Nov 22 2008, 03:38 PM) *
I think Leo should nominate Rihanna. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Nov 22 2008, 04:37 PM) *
I think leo would like to do something to Rihanna, but I don't know if 'nominate' is the right verb... wink.gif

Well, not unless "nominate" has another meaning which the Oxford mob have yet to cotton on to.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Nov 24 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #10

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Rinominate (verb) - to become associated with imaginary (as in i) nomming (nomnomnom, yeah) of Rihanna.

Except here nomming means tearing up into tiny shreds and setting on fire rather than a cute way of eating.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 17 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Light On The Surface

I think it's probably safe to get the final votes in here.

Best album for me has got to be 'Dear Science' by TV On The Radio, with podium placings for Portishead and Rozi Plain.

What about you lot?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 17 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Ooooo I was just about to say Inside Over Here!

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Dec 17 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 15 2008, 06:04 PM) *
Frank Turner - Love, Ire and Song. It's a fanastic second album. Frank sounds more polished and professional, without compromising his sound.

WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE! Nuff sed! (for now)

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jan 22 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #14

Light On The Surface

It was a late entry into 2008, but it dropped right into my top five for the year - 'Alpinisms' by School Of Seven Bells. One ex-Secret Machine and two women with etherial folky voices, making music that sounds like a collision of space rock, folk and electronica, shot through with a dose of lovely.

Interested? Check out 'iamundernodisguise' and prepare to swoon.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 11:24 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!