> Happy Turkey Day, Thanksgiving in Canada
Ashbless
post Oct 12 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yep, we're strange here. We rush the turkey season. The States has it later in the year. Basically a harvest fest with family and friends gathering to eat way too much.

Part of the tradition is to state what you're thankful for this year. So? What are you thankful for?

Me? My brothers, my Aunties (the lot of 'em), a roof overhead, being employed, food on my plate, my friends, the cat and getting almost all my debts paid off. Tonight I'm glad the kitchen gods are smiling and the food is turning out okay. I hope they continue to smile tomorrow as I roast the turkey. Why'd I agree to host the feast again?

How about you?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Oct 12 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #2

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

Meh, I like the fact it's in October, as does everyone else I've talked to around here. Perhaps it's because the sooner the turkey'n'stuffing, the better lol. Who knows.

Anyway this thanksgiving on the 13th is my mother's birthday, and I'm planning on taking her to this awesome Japanese resturant we all like to go on random occasions and special ones too. It might not be the turkey, but it satisfies us juuuust fiiiine!

Knowing my mom though she'll steal some turkey from someone to make sandwiches later or buy a smaller one just for that purpose. Nothing makes her happy like turkey sandwiches LOL.

As for the thankful stuff, I'm happy to have my family and my friends and a roof over my head. I got my own gripes and such still like being single and such, but I have it a lot better than some people out there so I'm not gonna take what I have for granted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Oct 12 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I know American Thanksgivings about a bad harvest heading towards a bad winter and being helped out by the locals (to many hollywood movies tongue.gif (not so sure how the Canadian one fits)) but it does make more sence to me having it in October as it also strikes me as a Harvest Festival. But anyhow. *shrug*

Erm... thankful stuff...... Parents for helping me out over the last couple of years more than is good for them.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 12 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I'm thankful for this holiday. Our Canadians here in residence have been blissed-out the past few days at the prospect of seeing their families and friends at home, and everyone who's still here is calm and happy and fat with food smile.gif

I'm glad I've got such great people in my life, and that I might be getting a kitten (!) and that the weather is still quite lovely here. I'm glad I have a nice place to live and enough money to get by; a family that loves me, great music, stimulating classes and a life full of challenges and ways to grow. I'm incredibly thankful for the prospect of basil and mint growing on my windowsill and the fact that I have a kitchen to cook in every day. I have a boy to kiss and warm clothes for the winter, a cheap grocery store to voyage to and good strong boots.

It's kind of insane to think that at times I'm unhappy about the stuff I don't have.

(I'm thankful that I get to do this twice! Twwwooo thanksgivings!)

(and about the differences: yes, American Thanksgiving is about being helped out by american indians when otherwise colonists would have died. we have it in November because that's when the weather begins to turn cold in the NErn states and that's when we needed the most help. Canadians, given their freakishly chilly climate, would have died in October had they been in a similar situation to American colonists. Also, their harvest is in early-to-mid-September (in New Jersey (the gardeniest of the NE US), I think the harvest ends in early October)).

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:17 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!