IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> US Elections
Who do you want to win?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 26
Guests cannot vote 
Mata
post Nov 4 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

For goodness sake, make sure you vote!

And I'll go out on a limb and say that you should vote for Obama. McCain is a big bunch of crowd pleasing quotes without a real sense of policy behind him (I'm the opposite of Bush! But I'm not!), and Palin is just about the scariest thing to happen to presidential politics in a long time. Please, we really don't want a fundamentalist Christian being only one heart-attack away from leading the world's second-or-third most powerful nation. (After China and possibly India.)

I'm a bit worried. In the UK every vote counts for the candidates, but the US system of having a barely populated state have the same weight in elections as somewhere like New York feels very wrong to me. I understand the history of it, but it still seems stupid.

Anyway, I'm really hoping that all those people who said they would vote for Obama really do go out and do it... I'm just scared that they won't.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Novander
post Nov 4 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #2

Take apart your head

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,599

Hello everyone. I vaguely have internet. I plan on staying up watching this election unfold through the medium of bbc news and was wondering if anyone else will be in irc at ungodly o' clock? That's assuming I make it in there, of course, I'm on a friend's laptop at the moment and thus don't really want to install anything on here, so I'll need to find a browser based way to enter.

edit: Chatzilla seems to be win.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Nov 4 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #3

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 4 2008, 01:39 PM) *
I'm a bit worried. In the UK every vote counts for the candidates, but the US system of having a barely populated state have the same weight in elections as somewhere like New York feels very wrong to me. I understand the history of it, but it still seems stupid.

I thought they were weighted? Like some states get more college votes than others, depending on population. I'm not totally sure about that, but I do know that the states all have different number of votes in the college system, so it would suggest some weighting.

EDIT: After some brief research, I've found that this is broadly true. Each state has the same number of electors as it does Senators + Representatives. The number of senators and representatives is based roughly on the proportion of the US population that resides in that state, updated every 10 years (last updated in 2003). This means that for example New York has 31 electoral votes, whereas Montana has 3.

I might be online later Nov, depends what time it goes on til, as I'll probably be out from about 8pm-3am or so.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Nov 4 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Yes. The Electoral College. I just came back from voting and I too plan on watching the coverage on BBCA tonight. Hurrah!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 4 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 4 2008, 01:39 PM) *
I'm a bit worried. In the UK every vote counts for the candidates, but the US system of having a barely populated state have the same weight in elections as somewhere like New York feels very wrong to me.

Sparsely populated states have fewer electoral votes, as Cheesemoose mentioned. The minimum is 3, I believe. Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and both of the Dakotas have 30 all together. New York has 31. I wouldn't say that each state is given equal weight at all. It is unbalanced, though, since it's based on population but no state can have fewer than 3 votes. New York's population is 19,297,729, while the combined populations of those six states is just 7,061,637.

The electoral college has its problems, but the vast majority of the time the electoral vote matches up with the popular vote. The only years that a candidate won the popular vote but lost the election were 1876, 1888, and of course, 2000 (which was the first election I voted in). The chances are pretty slim that either candidate will lose the popular vote but still get elected. I'd like to say don't worry, but I'm pretty nervous about this election myself!

I am staying up all night to watch the coverage. I'll probably be on IRC until silly o'clock. I cast my own (obviously absentee) ballot for Obama weeks ago. This is the third presidential election since I've been eligible to vote, and it is about freaking time that a decent candidate wins.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Nov 4 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #6

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Obama all the way.

We just spent all of Language Arts getting our teacher off-topic and talking about this. About the electoral college thing, I think some states (like Florida?) are all or nothing? Obama had 4/5 of the votes at our school election. We think anyway - the principle screwed up the amount of votes we had in 8th grade, so she very well might have screwed up the whole school..

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Nov 4 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

We did a mock-vote at my high school during the last election--Kerry won 70-30. I'm not allowing myself to think about last election though.

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE IF YOU CAN!! Vote in the place of my roommate who's two weeks too young, because there are buses of mentally retarded Kansasans that the Republican groups in Topeka will drive to polling places, for somebody who can actually DO something to make this flailing country better, because for the first time in a long time you see the difference voting can make.

Waugh, obama. I'm gettin the Election Night Jitters. Definitely excited to stay up until 4 doing linguistics/midterm-studying/biting fingernails off.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Nov 4 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Nov 4 2008, 05:14 PM) *
We did a mock-vote at my high school during the last election--Kerry won 70-30. I'm not allowing myself to think about last election though.

I remember that one too! And the one I voted in in Kindergarten. Bush won both, and I started crying in Kindergarten, because everyone knows blue pwns red. And Bush looked old on the picture he had on his box, and I didn't want our country to have a President that died. sad.gif

Kerry succccccked.

Obama better win. I get the feeling either might die if elected, and Biden > Palin so much. Palin's just... horrible.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Nov 4 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #9

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

We did a mock election at school. Obama won, 79.4%.

I know nothing about politics and would only vote Obama because I wouldn't want a woman running a country (just my opinion....)

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 4 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #10

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Nov 4 2008, 10:13 PM) *
We did a mock election at school. Obama won, 79.4%.

I know nothing about politics and would only vote Obama because I wouldn't want a woman running a country (just my opinion....)

Very weird stance to take, but *shrug*.

I will be up and in IRC for a while, (but I have lessons in the morning. Maybe I can nap tomorrow? >_>) and will be backing Obama, if only because America needs a non-republican president.

Edit- actually, no. I'm not just going to leave it. I really and truly can't believe that you said you wouldn't want a woman running a country. Please, for the love of feminism, tell me why the hell you think that a woman should not run a country?

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 4 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #11

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Nov 4 2008, 09:13 PM) *

I'm sorry, but that is absurd.

I wouldn't want Sarah Palin running a country (she is out of her depth and does not belong in politics on a national level), but any woman? Seriously?! Genitalia does not determine leadership ability.

It makes me really sad to think that you genuinely believe that. Do you actually think of yourself as being inferior to men?

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Nov 5 2008, 04:02 AM
Post #12

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

They just called it.....Obama won!

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 5 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #13

Candbrush Threepwood

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

YES.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Nov 5 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #14

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Go Michigan! Medical marijuana and stem cell research were passed (so far)!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 5 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #15

Thank goodness for that. That's some good news today.

I'm also interested in why IATB wouldn't want a female president. I personally thought Palin was an extremely dangerous person to put in any position of power, but we had a female Prime Minister in this country for over a decade and she didn't do a worse job than anyone else.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 5 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #16

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

So, so excited to wake up and find Obama won XD

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
sirdudly
post Nov 5 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #17

Super advanced member

Member No.: 2,657

Sic transit gloria, all glory is fleeting.

--------------------
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be really f***ed up" -Mitch Hedburg
When John McCain was my age, Alaska wasn't even a state.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 5 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #18

He's got a huge set of problems to face, but he's also got the good will of almost everyone in the world behind him, so that will make life a lot easier. There's a definite sense of Kennedy about him. I really hope it doesn't end the same way.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
leopold
post Nov 5 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #19

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I heard the news about this this morning. I always hoped that Obama would get in. He just seems a much better choice, on paper and in reality. McCain just wasn't going to cut it. I always saw him as a bit of a Neil Kinnock, all show and no go.

Here's hoping he takes the USA into a new and better place than it's been left in by Dubya.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Nov 5 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #20

Haha, 19 votes Obama, 0 McCain on this. Obama killed.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Nov 5 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #21

Light On The Surface

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 5 2008, 08:19 AM) *
we had a female Prime Minister in this country for over a decade and she didn't do a worse job than anyone else.

*cough* Really? You reckon? True, there have been worse, but still...

Of course, Maggie's example shouldn't mean that female leaders are a de facto bad idea.

On the original topic, Obama's win makes my face do smiley things. Puts my natural pessimism in its place - I'll own up as one of the two on the poll that reckoned McCain would get in.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Nov 5 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 374

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 5 2008, 05:53 AM) *
He's got a huge set of problems to face, but he's also got the good will of almost everyone in the world behind him, so that will make life a lot easier. There's a definite sense of Kennedy about him. I really hope it doesn't end the same way.

I've always said that he won't be assassinated because he's too important to the country. We need to improve the world's opinion of the US and Obama is the perfect person to help do that.

But that's just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Nov 5 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #23

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

How many neo-nazis do you think paused in their raging and thought to themselves, 'Hey, he'll really improve our world view!'

That said, I'm really happy. And..in disbelief. While everyone's happy McCain didn't win, I thought he had a very good, very humble concession speech. His crowd could have stfu'd for a few minutes, but the speech itself was excellent.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Nov 5 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Good on Obama. smile.gif

Well obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but my (insignificant) opinion is that women don't make as good leaders because often they have a lot of 'want', and are quite manipulative and needy and are a lot less noble than men. Myself included. But! It's only my opinion, and yes I am aware that there are some really great women out there too.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Nov 5 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #25

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Nov 5 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Good on Obama. smile.gif

Well obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but my (insignificant) opinion is that women don't make as good leaders because often they have a lot of 'want', and are quite manipulative and needy and are a lot less noble than men. Myself included. But! It's only my opinion, and yes I am aware that there are some really great women out there too.

I don't think your opinion is insignificant at all - but I do have to wonder how you can generalize an entire gender. Haven't you ever met a manipulative man that isn't noble?

for instance - witless, being male, posted this link to irc to try and cause chaos. noble? it seems very..manipulative, purely for his own entertainment!

This sounds like it might be a good issues topic.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 01:56 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!