IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas Eve Worker's Support Group, Gentlemen, start your whinging!
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 23 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I'll be working tomorrow, and I'm not happy about it.

I also know that I'm not alone in this. Christmas Eve, damn your eyes, should be a day for sitting about watching seasonal films (Muppets Christmas Carol being a personal fave), sipping mulled wine and generally putting your feet up, not slaving away at your nine-til-five whilst other people are out having a good time.

This thread, then, is for the poor and put-upon among us who have had fate pee in their ice cream, and now find themselves working the 24th. Moan! Complain! Be pathetic and whiney to your heart's content, without fear of judgement!

For a kick-off, I'd like to point out that my shift tomorrow is entirely redundant. I work in store technical support, and the latest that our stores will be trading til is 4pm. I'm in until 9:30. Where's the justice in that, I ask you! The upside of this is that I'll most likely be able to give each one of you the sympathy and encouragement you will need to get through your seasonal shift, given that I will have nothing better to do. More accurately, nothing else to do. At all.

That's me done. Anyone else?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 23 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

Get his, I'm working Christmas Eve to get the sale prepped, will be out at 6 at the earliest, then I'll be starting 9am Boxing day to open by half past to get buggered sideways by hammer wielding customers! Best of all, the big shopping center in town doesn't even open on Boxing day!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 23 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I have four hours to do tomorrow: one in the morning at 9am and then three when I get to my mum's house in the afternoon/ evening time.
On Christmas day, I am working six hours scattered through the day- the first at 8am and the last at 11pm.
On Boxing Day I am working again at 8am, on the 27th I'm working 3 hours and on the 28th I'm working for an hour. Doesn't sound like much, but I don't have a day off until I go up to Orkney and hide away until the new year comes!

I guess it's not as bad as having to be in an office, though- I can work in my jamas and eat mince pies whilst doing so!

However, I will be in with the moaning biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Dec 24 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I'm working 9 - 2pm though we have a "if you know what you want to buy we'll let you in past close on the 24th" policy so we may very well not get out until 4 pm.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 24 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #5

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Working 9 - 5. Have to give those shoppers a last chance to get their medications.
Please Santa, send the doctors in to check their fax machines and respond to urgent requests for heart pill prescription refills.
Still, I then get two glorious days free. No relatives to see, no one expected to visit. Just me, the cats, a good book or four, peace, goodwill toward fellow mankind, and maybe a walk through the snow. Luxury.
I have to work saturday or I'd be able to have 4 days of freedom. dry.gif
Maybe next year.

Shudder with me. I work in a retail pharmacy. Last minute shoppers a plenty. ph34r.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 24 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Light On The Surface

I'm so glad I'm not alone. It brings tears of joy to my eyes. Solidarity, brothers and sisters!

Daria - for once, couldn't they just let the pregnant lesbians flame each other? Is that not the spirit of Christmas?

Last Christmas, instead of giving you my heart (you'd just have regifted it to someone else, I know what you're like), I was in a sale prep situation much like our gender-bending SpussyCat. Mine was done overnight, though. I started at 9pm on the 23rd, and only got home at about 6am the following morning. Inevitably, I slept through most of Christmas Eve, and then couldn't get to sleep all night. I've not been so awake in the early hours of Christmas morning since I graduated from junior school...

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 24 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I was going to be working 8:15am to 4:45pm then taking a wander around the shops to pick up a few small bits, but my boss didn't turn up to the building until 9:30 so I've got no idea when I might be going home... Hopefully at the same time as I planned but technically I won't have worked a full day. Buggrit.

I don't mind too much - it's nice that the office is quiet and I can get on with what I need to do at my own pace. I have a friend who is going to be orking in a pub until 1:30am tonight, so that's going to be a long one for him. Then again, he does live above the bar so at least he hasn't got far to travel afterwards.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 24 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Light On The Surface

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 24 2008, 01:51 PM) *
orking in a pub

I've never done that. Does it hurt?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 24 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #9

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Ha ha haaaa ha ha haaa ha haa haaaaaaaaaaa laugh.gif

Sorry but it HAD to be done tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm off down the pub wink.gif

*runs away before getting pelted with staplers, screwed up paper and coffee mugs*

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 24 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Light On The Surface

-________________________________________________-

I will be burning an effigy of you tonight, slaaaaaaaaaaaaag... ;P

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Dec 24 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Dec 24 2008, 04:42 PM) *
-________________________________________________-

I will be burning an effigy of you tonight, slaaaaaaaaaaaaag... ;P

I've already got one of you smouldering nicely as I had time to fashion that today while you were WORKING tongue.gif

I repeat....HAAAAAA you slaaaaaaaaaaaaag wink.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 24 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Light On The Surface

You are a complete bumhat, Sam. But I still love you. tongue.gif

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 24 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #13

Light On The Surface

449 of our stores have cashed up and closed for the night. We have 451 stores. I'm in for the best part of two hours.

For. F@ck's. Sake.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Dec 24 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #14

Kiefer > Jason

Yay I got to actually come home by 3 p.m. today!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 25 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #15

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Work an extra 2 hours. We don't have enough stock for more than a week of sale, and I just got back from my sister's where I've been helping with the wrapping....and drinking wine.

My duvet is like a giant marshmallow, not relevant, but awesome.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 26 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #16

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

It's not Christmas eve but can I grumble about interrupting a potential 4 day weekend to go to work on Saturday?
Rant
*grumble* people wanting *not quite audible* heart drugs that they haven't renewed their prescription for. No, the pharmacist can't write you a script for antibiotics because you're unwilling to wait at the clinic to see a Doc. No, the pharmacist can't advance you more of the antianxiety pills you overuse and regularly come in 2-3 weeks early to beg about that you haven't renewed your prescription for. I don't care if you've been on them longer than I've been alive, your prescription has run out and your Doc doesn't take calls for renewals from the pharmacy. You've got to go get a new Rx yourself. Why didn't we warn you that you were almost out? The no refills on the label isn't a big enough hint? Because you're a grown adult?
End Rant

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Dec 26 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #17

Light On The Surface

Post-Christmas ranting is perfectly acceptable, Ashbless. Otherwise this thread would now be utterly redundant. Heck, why not just make it an outlet for complaining about having to work when you don't want to? Such as on Boxing Day, after shovelling large amounts of food and booze down your throat for the entirety of the previous day.

Once again, I am some distance away from happy. -__-

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Dec 26 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Kiefer > Jason

I get to work today too and tomorrow....woo looking forward to being trampled by hoards wanting after christmas sales. Oh and explaining to many people how not all ornaments are Christmas product and how trees aren't Christmas product either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Dec 27 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #19

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

I took some holiday to allow me to miss the X-day eve work misery (although it may have been a giggle in the office), I've got to go back in on the 2nd though, work gave us the festive week or so off but why make us come back on the Friday... it's just not right! wink.gif

I've also got to work about 6 Saturdays looking after exams through the year, they invariably get in the way of my LARPing! sad.gif

I've not got much to whine about in all reality but it does me good to get it off my chest wink.gif heehee

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jan 5 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #20

Roger Rabbit, having hit the skids, is now busking for a living.

Member No.: 95

Aww, how sad sad.gif I booked annual leave so I could bail out at lunchtime on the 22nd and I've just started back in this morning tongue.gif

But I'm not going to be a complete arse about it.

Last year, due to a monumental cock-up in the holiday booking arena, I ended up having to work a half day on New Year's Eve. Which was a pain enough, but due to family celebrations and the like, and in order to get some peace, I ended up having to go in to the office, which is a 70 mile round trip. Waste of time, really, cos there was absolutely nothing doing and I had the entire wing of the building to myself.

And next year I suspect I'll be working on at least one day twixt celebrations, as it's more than likely my turn to volunteer.

--------------------
The author of this post is entirely fictional and is intended for entertainment purposes only. The views of the author are not necessarily representative of the views of Matazone, Mata himself nor any of his assorted cronies, friends, allies, associates or hangers-on. Any resemblance to other posts, alive or dead, is purely coincidental and is not intentional. Except when that's the point of the post, in which case it is intentional and no coincidence is applied, inferred or otherwise described by another long legalese term which temporarily escapes me.

No animals have been hurt in the production of this post, although I did kick the cat before I sat down at the computer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 04:05 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!