IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ok so what is it and how do I eat it?, the amusing nature of random farm produce box
Ashbless
post Mar 13 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I recently signed up for a home delivery of local and/or organic produce. For a smallish chunk of bills a tote of veggies appears once a week at my door. It's fairly random as to what comes but it is possible to let them know what should not come. So far I've left it open.

This fine evening I found something that vaguely resembles a lumpy skinny beet. The helpful list of contents identifies mystery roots as sunchokes or jerusalem artichokes. I also have a double handful of fresh basil.

Er, anybody have any idea how to cook/eat/dispose quietly of these things?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 13 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

No idea about the sunchoke, but ohmygod fresh basil.

Take some tomatoes, slice em, put em on a slice of bread. Add chopped basil. Add mozerella and a drizzle of olive oil (or balsamic vinegar if you are adventurous). Melt. Put more bread on top, cut in half. Hold onto something solid while you eat it.

Take basil, put in food processor. Add two cloves garlic, some olive oil and sundried tomatoes (or an eense tomato paste). Blend. Put on EVERYTHING.

Take basil, boil it for a very long time in a small amount of water. Put in a squirt bottle; dab behind ears.

OK that last one was a joke (I love basil + the way it smells) but you can do a million things with it, honest. Also very good on homemade pizza and in some stir-fry-rice-soup variations.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 13 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Jerusulem artichokes are very good washed, boiled and eaten. Do them like baby potatoes, add butter, salt and pepper after cooking.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 31 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #4

I found I liked the taste of the sunchokes but that boiled or baked they tended to cause gas. Not a great date food.

Anyone know what to do with leeks? I'm trying them roasted with other veg tonight but any other ideas?

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Mar 31 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #5

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Leeks! Mmmmm, we have them all over the place in the woods here.

Good for parties: Take ham and cream cheese. Spread cream cheese on ham. Roll cheese covered ham around the leek.

OR! Potato leek soup! Do a cream and chicken base. I'd saute the leeks in butter with some shallots or onions, boil the potatoes in chicken broth until they're soft and mush them up a bit (not looking for mashed potatoes here though) and add the leeks/shallots/onions and boil it down until you're at a consistency you like then add cream. Or do a vegetable broth if you're not into the chicken idea. Fresh ground black pepper, salt to taste, any other spices you think will go well. Possibly lemon grass.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Mar 31 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

You can use leeks in casseroles as well. Try a couple next time you do one.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 31 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You can slice leeks (like a tree trunk) and fry them. Put loads of salt on them while you're frying and they will go nice and soft, and the salt takes away the bitter taste that leeks sometimes have.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 7 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #8

It's fun to find out things about friends that you never knew. I hadn't realized that my best female friend out here absolutely loves eggplant. You would have thought I'd found german chocolate in the veg. basket. On her advice I stuffed and baked it. It went a strange olive green colour and looked like it might be slimy. It wasn't slimy, which I'm very thankful about, and was quite tasty.

I have kale again this week and next week they're threatening asperagus. The fruit has been good but I'm not sure on what to do with the two limes. The friend mentioned above really likes the idea of a margarita night. Pity she works most evenings and I work most days. This aspect of grown up life sucks. I have a lemon pie filling recipe that I'm very tempted to adapt and play with. Lime pie? Might work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Apr 7 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Absentee Mod

Lime pie should work, and I know of one - Key Lime Pie - which is pretty tasty. Limes tend not to lend themselves to desserts as well as lemons do, I think this might be due to them being a bit sharper. You could try mixing them in with lemons in desserts and see what happens. You can also have lime wedges with any Tex-Mex and many Spanish and Italian dishes, which the diner can squeeze on if they wish. Try mixing a little of the juice in with tuna mayonnaise, it lends a nice sharpness and stops it being cloying. Or squeeze it over fish instead of lemon. You can use the zest as well, like you can with lemons. Or slice it and serve with vodka, gin, tequila or in a long glass of water, cola or lemonade. Or google "lime recipes" for a zillion pages on what to do with them. Just don't eat them raw, unless you're feeling a bit masochistic!

Asparagus is lovely. I'm really envying your produce basket! You eat the tips and the soft part of the stalk, although some will argue on the stalk point (but I just ignore them biggrin.gif) To prepare, trim off the woody bit at the bottom (unless it comes ready trimmed). Steam it or boil it gently in lightly salted water, keeping the tips out of the water if possible, until it goes tender. Serve with a Hollandaise sauce, or drizzle with olive oil and black pepper, or just put a knob of butter on them if you're feeling very lazy. You can have that as a starter, or serve it alongside salmon, trout or a good steak, or in a salad. It's supposedly an aphrodisiac too. One note, if you eat a lot of it in one go, you may notice your wee smells a bit funny, so don't eat loads if you're planning on any passion wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Apr 8 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (leopold @ Apr 7 2009, 01:56 PM) *
Lime pie should work, and I know of one - Key Lime Pie - which is pretty tasty.

Key lime pie is made with Key limes, though, not regular ones. tongue.gif

I love using limes in just about everything. Try making a homemade salsa and squeeze a lime into it as it's cooking. Or make some pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeņos, lime juice, and some people add cilantro but I don't as moop thinks it tastes of soap). Or make a nice salad with baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, olives, onions, some steamed asparagus and a squeeze of lime juice and mix it with cold pasta. Or make limeade!

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Apr 9 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (candice @ Apr 8 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Key lime pie is made with Key limes, though, not regular ones. tongue.gif

A mere technicality. Although I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a "Key lime", I just assumed it was because the pie came from the Florida Keys that it got it's name. You learn something new every day.

But I still want Ash's basket of goodies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Apr 9 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #12

Lord of the Keys

Limeade is awesome. I make it with about a third-cup of lime juice in a glass, add some honey and mix super crazy well, then water + ice. Plus mint! Crazy refreshing and only as many calories as the honey you put in. It is delicious before bed or anytime.

I use lime for cooking fish, as well. Salmon with ginger likes lime, so do other big meaty fishes like tuna, swordfish and shark. Tilapia like lime and almonds. Softer, more boring fish like lemon better (sole, flounder + cod).

MOJITOS ARE DELICIOUS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Apr 10 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

Limes are also good if you're cooking haloumi, or chicken.
-Heat up a couple of spoons of honey, add juice of a lime, soy sauce, salt, pepper, chilli, herbs and grate in a bit of cream of coconut. Mix it all together, wait until it's very liquidy then add chopped up chicken breast.

Is good, I am told (my recipe, Wytu's food) with noodles or rice.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 18 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #14

I took a week off from the tote as I wasn't eating quickly enough. From prior veggie deliveries I have loads of apples and oranges, 3 or 4 onions, and swiss chard still in the fridge. I've guests coming over to play Arkham horror on sunday so I thought I'd cut up the fruit into finger food.
Any suggestions for onions? I know they go well into homemade soups and added with hamburger but does anyone know how to go about making french onion soup?

My choice may have been a good one. Apparently this weeks tote included nettles. Aren't nettles weeds? The info sheet suggested steamng them to avoid the narsty stinging sensation. Still - can't say I'd've been very keen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Apr 19 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #15

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

French onion soup!!!

Its honestly supposed to be really super simple and not involve any wine. Just onions, butter, stock and flour. Slice up the onions thinly, toss in a large pot with butter and cook them down until they're mushy and brown, make a roux with butter and flour (I've honestly never had much luck with this part.... my roux always ends up very lumpy and yuck.... try making the roux in a separate pot or just buying the pre-made stuff that comes in a jar) add in stock and cook until heated.

Put some in a bowl (a bowl just a tiny bit larger than what you want your serving to be) top with slices of french bread and cheese (something you like, I think traditionally its gruyere, but emmentaler or swiss works nicely) pop it under the broiler untill the cheese is a little bubbly and a tiny bit brown. Enjoy!

Alternatively, if you don't want to mess with the roux you could thicken it with a bit of corn or potato starch mixed with cold water and then poured into the soup (if you add starch directly to hot liquid it clumps up and is impossible to fix....)

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Apr 19 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #16

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Kitty @ Apr 19 2009, 03:54 AM) *
make a roux with butter and flour (I've honestly never had much luck with this part.... my roux always ends up very lumpy and yuck.... try making the roux in a separate pot or just buying the pre-made stuff that comes in a jar)

Don't you stir milk into a roux to stop it going lumpy and yuck? (I've only done it once and I can't really remember, so may be wrong.)

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Apr 20 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #17

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 19 2009, 06:08 AM) *
Don't you stir milk into a roux to stop it going lumpy and yuck? (I've only done it once and I can't really remember, so may be wrong.)

Nope. A lot of cream sauces have a roux base though, so maybe thats what you're thinking?

You do have to slowly add the liquid to a roux to make sure it doesn't get lumpy. Don't dump all the stock in at once!! add maybe a quarter of it and get it mixed in really well before you add the rest.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
leopold
post Apr 21 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #18

Absentee Mod

Apparently, nettles are supposed to be quite nice (apart from the stingy bits!) and they can be used in much the same way as other cookable greens like spinach and spring cabbage. They have to be cooked in order to wilt the stings, but if you're brave you can eat them raw. There's a soup recipe which sounds like it'd be nice, but I've never tried it; I guess in a way I'm lucky I don't get much in the way of nettle growth in my garden.

Yes, nettles are weeds. So are dandelions, which have edible leaves and can be brewed to make wine, which is very nice! Dill is also a weed, and that stuff is great on fish, better than parsley IMHO. So don't write it off just because it's a weed. Genus means nothing. I'd not be tempted to eat rat, but rabbit tastes nice, and yet they are both rodents.

Onions can be used in just about anything. Try roasting them with other vegetables, such as potatoes, parsnips, butternut squash and carrots, with a good dose of salt and pepper. You can use them as part of many dishes. I could list them, but they'll work with just about anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eli
post Apr 21 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #19

M.I.A.

Member No.: 7,112

Came across a website earlier this week which actually reminds me a lot of this thread. A shame I can't remember the site. Anyways. Apparently a certain corn-infecting disease is harvested along with the disease-rotten corn and is sold in a nice can by...Goya? not sure. It's usually served in a nice soft taco. Delicious stuff. (NOOO.) Never tried it, but the thought of eating puss-filled corn that looks like its been attacked by the mumps and a good helping of a possible staff infection just gets my mouth watering.

--------------------
"I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failure to live up to these possibilities." -Ayn Rand

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Apr 22 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

You can make nettle tea!

Onions -- do you have a crock pot? Peel the onions, chop them into quarters, stick them in the crock pot with a couple of tablespoons of butter, and leave them to slow cook for about 6 hours. Best caramelised onions ever. They can be added to all sorts of things, and the leftovers freeze really nicely.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 2 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #21

Oyster mushrooms? Can they be used like any ordinary white mushrooms or are there preparation things I should know about?
I was also happy to find blood oranges. I'm getting a bit fruit heavy again in the fridge so it's time to go back to fruit salad for breakfast I suppose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 4 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #22

Wait for the uprising

Oh god oyster mushrooms are SO good. Tougher in texture than "normal" mushrooms, with a deeper flavour. Really really really good cooked in butter with thin slices of zucchini (I usually use a potato peeler to slice them), some garlic and black pepper and eaten with pasta. Or just in stir fry. Or on toast. (Things are good on toast >_>)

I had some for tea in a thai-esque curry I made with peppers, carrots and lime. As a long-time vegetarian, I sometimes get chew-cravings and oyster (and shiitake) mushrooms are good for sating the carnivorous-teeth needs.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 5 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #23

Freshly squeezed orange juice is very good. Freshly squeezed orange juice cut with freshly squeezed lemon juice (3:1) is an interesting taste sensation that I may not repeat for a while. blink.gif
It'd sure wake me up if I'd've chosen to drink it in the morning. As it is I've at least maxed my vitamin C requirement. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post May 5 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #24

Lord of the Keys

Oh no! The orange juice!

There's a juice stand I go to sometimes that has a pineapple-apple-lemon mix they call the Hangover Cure. Not sure about the ratios, but you should try it if you've got a pineapple on hand--though I doubt it'll come in a BC farm-produce box.

(from my experience it doesn't really work, but--still delicious)

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post May 5 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #25

Absentee Mod

I dpn't think oyster mushrooms need any different prep to any other mushrooms. As Daria says, they're good in place of ordinary mushrooms, but I'd save them for use in dishes where you'd need a mushroomy flavour, such as the more delicately flavoured Far Eastern dishes. Or on toast smile.gif I don't think they work as well in a steak and mushroom pie, it'd be a waste of the taste and texture.

QUOTE (Ashbless @ May 5 2009, 05:14 AM) *
Freshly squeezed orange juice cut with freshly squeezed lemon juice (3:1) is an interesting taste sensation that I may not repeat for a while. blink.gif

Ooh, zingy! That's quite a high ratio of lemon juice and I'm not surprised you found it so, erm, intriguing. That much citrus juice is going to be a lip-shrinker whatever ratio you use, so if you're going to mix orange and lemon then you might want to cut it with a sweeter fruit juice such as apple, pear or pineapple.

As for a hangover cure, the only thing I've found that comes close (without reaching for pharmaceuticals) is a tall glass of ice-cold, full bore cola. If it's missing either the caffeine or the sugar - or, god forbid, both - then it doesn't work. Alas, this won't come in a farm produce box of any variety.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 08:44 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!