IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not so Dumb questions, For those questions you feel dumb for needing to ask.
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 19 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #1

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

This is for those question which would be usefull for you to know the answer to but feel dumb for asking. There's a fair few people on this forum who know stuff about stuff so I recon between the lot of us we can cover most.

I don't particularly want this to turn into a silly questions thread we've got plenty of those already. So if there is any random bit of information you want to know about anything ask away.

I'll start off with are GameCube and WII memory cards the same?

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 19 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

The Wii takes SD memory cards. Those are the slim little things that you can use in cameras. I'm fairly sure there is a way to get the Wii to use Gamecube memory cards, but they will only save Gamecube data on them. All Wii-related game data will be saved on the Wii's card.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 20 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

It's actually the GameCube I'm after the memory card for. My brother gave me his PS2 and GameCube and TV because he's moving to China in May, but he's lost the memory card so I was moochin on Ebay for a cheap one and most the descriptions were Wii gamecube or Wii and GameCube etc. So am a little confuse as to what I was trying to buy.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 20 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Hmm... I'm not so sure, but I think that the old ones can somehow be plugged into a bit of the Wii.

My question - I'm looking for a cheap and easy to use, portable as possible, way of playing .avi and other video files on a normal TV. Sometimes it would be nice to play downloaded stuff on the TV in the bedroom, but there's no way I'm unwiring the PS3 to take it up there. I've seen a few options online but there doesn't seem to be any major brands that are clearly recommended. Does anyone know anything about this stuff (or think it sounds cool and have time to look into it)?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Apr 21 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #5

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I did this before by converting my avi file into one that is compatible with a DVD, and then burning it onto a DVD. I couldn't remember how I did this so I just googled it and came up with this.

Alternatively, if you have a laptop and an hdmi cable, and a TV that has a hdmi port, you could hook your laptop to your tv and watch it straight from your quicktime player. If I had had a TV that allowed this and hdmi cable at the time I did the conversion, I would have done that vs burning to the DVD, because the quality of the picture seems to degrade with the conversion.

Hope that helps.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 21 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #6

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 20 2009, 11:55 PM) *
Hmm... I'm not so sure, but I think that the old ones can somehow be plugged into a bit of the Wii.

Yeah, there are a couple of hatches on the side, one with Gamecube controller ports and one with Gamecube memory card sockets.

As for a Gamecube memory card, this guy is the Gamecube memory card: Amazon Linky which will work nicely for you. On the other hand, if it looks like this it's an SD card and will only work on the Wii: SD Card

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Apr 21 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #7

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 20 2009, 11:55 PM) *
My question - I'm looking for a cheap and easy to use, portable as possible, way of playing .avi and other video files on a normal TV. Sometimes it would be nice to play downloaded stuff on the TV in the bedroom, but there's no way I'm unwiring the PS3 to take it up there. I've seen a few options online but there doesn't seem to be any major brands that are clearly recommended. Does anyone know anything about this stuff (or think it sounds cool and have time to look into it)?

Ah, now I've been looking into this, but possibly not from the same angle as yourself. My plan was to have streaming clients (such as the Hauppauge MediaMVP) running content from the server in my home. Are you after something like that, or are you planning on something with it's own storage?

The MediaMVP comes in two flavours, a wired version which costs about 45, and a wireless version which nearer 95.

If you're after the other variety, I saw an article on those a few weeks back, I'll have to take a look again and let you know.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 21 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #8

I was looking into hard media rather than streaming things. That way I don't need to rely on leaving other computers turned on all the time and network issues. It's just easier if I can put it directly onto the device and plug it in.

I'll look into the laptop-to-TV connection, but I'd rather have a seperate device so I can work on the laptop if I want while Sues watches TV.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
leopold
post Apr 21 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Gotcha. I'll dig the article out and see what's what. I suspected you'd prefer that, most people do as it's preferable to running network cables everywhere or relying on wireless stability.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 21 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #10

I've been brainwashed

Thanks now I know what I'm looking at and for I can now go find a cheap one. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Apr 21 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 21 2009, 06:01 AM) *
I was looking into hard media rather than streaming things. That way I don't need to rely on leaving other computers turned on all the time and network issues. It's just easier if I can put it directly onto the device and plug it in.

I'll look into the laptop-to-TV connection, but I'd rather have a seperate device so I can work on the laptop if I want while Sues watches TV.

Do you have an iPod that you can put videos on? If so here's a kit to connect it to your tv.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 21 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #12

I use an iRiver. It's a bit like an iPod but without the DRM nonsense, plus when I bought it I could get three times the memory for the same cost. It's a thought, but I don't think my player is set up for that kind of thing - it's pretty ancient now.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:57 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!