IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving out & finding somewhere to live!, aaaah!
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 7 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 606

So I'm about to start my first real job and I'm planning to rent a flat in london (where the job is) ph34r.gif

I stayed at home with my family while at uni so I'm totally clueless about the whole thing...

Anybody got any advice? If you have any tips about what to look for when looking for flats, what questions to ask potential landlords etc. that would be really helpful smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 7 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Just make sure you'll have enough money to live on after rent and bills, those buggers are expensive. Don't over stretch your finances to the point where you're constantly relying on credit cards or overdrafts, it's a slippy slope.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 7 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Always check on what the expected bills might be and find out who is responsible for them, especially things like water rates.

Check plug sockets. Lots of older buildings don't have nearly enough plug sockets for modern living. Discuss this with your landlord or letting agent if you don't think you'll have enough. If they listen sympathetically (even if they don't do anything about it) rather than telling you to shove off, then you've probably got an alright bunch to let from.

Always check the heating - see how many radiators are in the house. I stayed in a place that had one radiator for the entire building but we didn't notice until we moved in. It's not a deal breaker, but it's worth being aware of.

Find out what the phoneline is currently doing - is it disconnected? Is it on hold? Is there even a line installed?

Check to see if you can switch power/water/gas suppliers? Most landlords will allow you to do this and you can save money if you do.

Look at the neighbours' gardens. You can tell a fair bit about how much trouble they will be by the state of their house (not always, but it can help).

Trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right then don't go for it, no matter how desperate you feel to find a place.

Check the windows. See how difficult it would be to break into the flat. If you are really in doubt then ask for decent locks or to get the police around to strengthen the property. The police will usually do this free of charge and they are constantly amazed by how few people know about it.

Err... That'll do for the moment.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Sep 7 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

Check out how much the Council tax will be. Bane of my existance!

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Sep 7 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Plumbing! Check for signs of water damage--any kind of discoloration on the walls, baseboards, etc. Find out the name of the apt's janitor (dunno anything about London, but here just about every place has a landlord, to whom you pay rent, and a janitor, to whom you say hello when your pipes have exploded) and make him your best friend. He is from Peru? Your mother is from Peru! He likes to eat pizza? You adore MAKING PIZZA FOR PERUVIANS. Etc. This is a nice relationship to have with the man who makes sure your pipes do not explode again.

Give yourself plenty of time to find a place. Watch out for sneaky roommates (if you have them). Be excited! Have a big housewarming! Explore the neighborhood and meet your neighbors if they seem like they'd be into that! Find out when Bulk Trash Day is and go on a mad furniture dash, picking up all type of semi-functional IKEA bookshelves and incredibly heavy antique armoires and slightly squeaky office chairs (by far the top three most frequently dumped-out-without-entirely-good-reason furniture items on Bulk Trash Day).

Good luck! Congrats on the job!

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 7 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Thanks everyone! biggrin.gif Lots of good advice, I will try to keep it all in mind when looking round places.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Sep 7 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #7

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Ooooh moving out!
I have moved many times in the last 6 years but I still forget about things when looking at places so my main advice is this - if you look at lots of places and a lot of them are dire don't be too excited about the ones that seem decent because you will overlook little things like Mata mentioned (the place I've just moved into has a ridiculously small number of plug sockets D: ).

At the same time don't be put off looking at as many places as you can possibly find (RightMove is your friend) if something looks promising then arrange to see it. Letting agents are generally pretty decent, they may try to push the good points of a property but I've never met one who hasn't taken "it's not for me" as an answer.

Are you going to be looking for somewhere on your own or a house share? If it's a house share try to see it at a time when other people will be there so you can see what they're like - do they stick to their rooms or are they pretty sociable? Do they rota cleaning, is there a kitty for shared goods (toilet roll, cleaning stuff etc) and have they got any weird schedules (eg working nights) that are likely to cause you issues with noise when you're trying to sleep.

Good luck!

--------------------
IPB Image
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 7 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (snoo @ Sep 7 2009, 06:39 PM) *
I have moved many times in the last 6 years

^ Sounds like me!! Not good for the ol' credit check, mind you.

One word to keep in mind, from a financial perspective, is contingency: try, if you can, ensure you have money set aside for the unexpected. Even just a few untouched quid can help when something suddenly needs attention.

There is a massive difference between being able to 'afford' a place, and being able to 'afford a place and live'. It's all very well acknowledging that you have the £XXXX.XX each month to cover the £XXXX.XX bills/food each month. But then what? Do you have enough money to enjoy a bit of life occasionally? Will the odd cinema trip push the budget? Will visiting friends by car/bus/tube/hovercraft cost a little bit too much. As Sir. Psycho Sexy said, quite rightly, you do NOT want to become dependant on loans and credit cards. Indeed, if you can avoid them altogether, then all the better! Due to various circumstances and bad decisions, I have my fair share of credit card debt that I will soon be back in a position to hack away it. But having those numbers having over your head can affect everything from your stress levels, to the chances of getting positive credit checks for things you DO need.

Be aware that no matter how good your forecasting, you will probably forget to include a particular cost in your budget. For example, Mata suggested checking if the phone line is there/operating/connected, etc. If has been disconnected because the previous person did not pay their bill on time, or the property has been empty for a while, etc, then you may have to incur a charge to get it connected again. It's nothing backbreaking usually, but it's yet another cost.

Some of your monthly bills like council tax, and utilities like electric, water, and gas, often have discounted rates for people living alone. I don't know if this is going to be the case for you but, for example, I get approximately 30% off my council tax as a "Single Person's Allowance." Every little helps smile.gif

As a tenant, always check in your agreement who is responsible for maintaining items that remain in the property - from furnishings (if any), to electrical applicances, boilers, radiators, etc. Some landlords will expect you to cover the costs of repair, and some will do it themselves.

Finally... negotiate! No matter what the agent's price is, you should not expect to pay that. I got about 12% off the monthly rent of my current flat. Sometimes negotiation isn't as simple as getting cheaper rent. Sometimes you can get the landlord to pay your council tax instead, or your water rates (because he can put this through as an expense, thus reducing his tax bill, rather than just taking a cut in income), or create a more flexible agreement. Obviously, negotiation is a lot more limited in high-demand areas. But give it a shot smile.gif

I was shown around my current flat by a letting agent who told me it had been on their books for a couple of months without any real interest, and that initially the landlord had actually wanted to sell it, but got no takers. He had chucked out his previous tenants prior to putting it on the market, and so I could assume that by this point he was fairly eager to start making money on it once again. Through the agents, I offered about 12% below his asking price and was told that he would drop about 5%. I said no, I wasn't willing to go to that price and, a little later that day, I got another phone call from the agent saying that he was willing to go to my price, but only if I had a 1 year minimum lease. My reply? No... I want it at my price, with a lease that includes a six-month break clause in case I want out earlier. He accepted smile.gif

To be fair, you can't always push the landlord/agents too far in all cases.

I know that the general rule for buying a property is that, ordinarily, you should be able to pay at least 5% below the marketed value. I'm not sure how it stands with renting, but saving money is always worth a shot. Anybody that agrees the rent or purchase price without at least TRYING to negotiate is foolish, I think.

And finally (I know I said finally earlier, but I just remembered something else): never agree on a property based on one viewing. This might seem obvious, but I know several people that have signed documents and moved in, having only viewed the property once. You need to see those bricks at least twice before you even make the offer.

Oh... also... biggrin.gif ... take a drive, if you can, around the area at night and during school exit times, to see what kind of "behaviour" takes place in the area. During the day, when most of the street is at work or school, it might seem wonderfully pleasant. But once the schools empty, or the sun comes down, things can change drastically.

Good luck smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Sep 7 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #9

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Ugh. I'm seeing all this from the other side at the moment, trying to rent out a room in the flat I just bought. Being a landlord getting people round to view and possibly rent is a nightmare. Especially as I'm landlord/occupant.

Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add to this, just complaining about people really.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 8 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #10

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I don't really have anything to add apart from good luck happy.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 9 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #11

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Firstly: good luck!
Secondly: whereabouts in London are you settling down in?
Thirdly, to add to everyone else's excellent advice: if the estate agents seem dodgy, then check them out. Look them up on the business register, if they have a website then check it for content (i.e do they actually have properties on it?) and make sure you have the contact details of the agent you're working with.

Estate agents are jerks. However much they may seem nice, or amiable, they aren't- they are just trying to pressure you into doing what they want. If they ask for personal data for things like a credit check, then stop and think about what they are asking for: when I was looking for flats in May, a couple of friends and I had put down a deposit and were in the process of the credit checks. They had asked for a copy of my last tax return, because I am self employed, and got really snotty when I asked for their data protection reference number. In the end, the guy who ran the business said he didn't want us moving in because we seemed like trouble. Quite specifically that I seemed like trouble. However, you have rights, so stick to them!

Check how much the agents charge for admin fees, inventory fees etc etc. It can add up to a lot more than you would have expected, and on top of the deposit it can dig a big hole in your pocket.

Read the contract. You're perfectly welcome to, and if there is something you don't understand then get someone to explain it to you.

Check whether you'll be renting via the agency, or straight from the landlord and the agency just get a finders fee. The latter can be good if you want to do things like change the date when you pay rent (sweet talking one person is easier than sweet talking an estate agent), however if you just rent through an agency then you can usually be safe in the knowledge that they will do things by the book- you will have an emergency number to ring for plumbing/ gas/ electricity faults etc.

If you are shown a pretty grubby but gorgeous flat, then point out to them that you're interested but the state of it isn't acceptable. Most agencies will get places professionally cleaned before you move in, but it's always good to be on top of them about things like that.

As Mata said about the radiators, make sure they are there. Electric heaters eat vaaaast amounts of electricity and you won't want a big winter electricity bill. Also, check for double glazing and proper fittings to hang curtains. A blind may look pretty, but it doesn't keep out most of the light in the mornings, and it doesn't keep in the heat.

Halogen bulbs make everything look cool, but they also eat up lots of electricity.

There's probably more, but I think my post's big enough already.
Also, can I join the Hobbes/ Snoo party? I've moved 5 times in the last 2 and a half years happy.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 9 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #12

Oo, good one. If possible, always go for double glazing, and make sure you get keys for the windows.

Always get household insurance. It's worth it, as I discovered when several thousand pounds of my stuff was stolen last year.

As Daria says, if it's not clean then point this out while you're looking around. Get them to clean.

Take photos of the place when you arrive, especially grubbby bits or broken things. If you think the agents are going to be picky then email a copy to the agents for their records as soon as you can, so there is evidence for when you move out.

Always check the inventory. If they don't do one (they might charge you for this if they do) then do one yourself. Note every single minor scratch, dent, grease smear on the walls... Everything! Send a copy to your letting agents as soon as you can. This can save you a lot of bother later on.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread (probably a scary amount) but try to trust your instincts. You'll be fine.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 9 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #13

To answer some questions:

I'm moving to west london... my job is in chiswick but I'm considering anything within walking distance of a tube station at the moment. Most of the the flats I've bookmarked are in the ealing area, and I'm going to visit a few there tomorrow (through an agency). It seems like a nice enough place from afar (google streetview ftw) but I will have a lot of time to walk around when I'm done tomorrow.

I'm planning to get a small studio flat to myself rather than share. Not so keen on living with people I don't know.

I don't drive, so the amount of exploration I can do is limited, but the train to london is quite cheap if I book online so going back to a flat for a second look is still an option.

I think I'm going to be alright for money - I've got a rough idea of how much I want to be spending on stuff and I should have plenty left over as long as I don't make any silly purchases. There's no way I'm getting a credit card. I've got a starting bonus and some money saved up so deposits/advance rent shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, thanks again for all your excellent advice! I will have to write it all down so I don't forget anything...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 10 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #14

Oh, and take a digital camera so you can compare flats afterwards!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Sep 10 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #15

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

And a list of questions you want to ask dont rely on remebering them.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 10 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Daria @ Sep 9 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Also, can I join the Hobbes/Snoo party? I've moved 5 times in the last 2 and a half years happy.gif

Sure thing! In the last 6 years I've made 7 "full" moves (i.e. staying somewhere I called 'home' for X amount of time). If I include non-"full" moves (i.e. the temporary arrangement of a bed or room for Y amount of time), then it's 9 times.

And I might yet still move again before the end of this year. Lucky I've got at least one friend who doesn't mind helping me lug stuff in and out of a van each year smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 10 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Wait for the uprising

I like moving house! I've moved 14 times in total happy.gif

Crazy, I'm afraid I know *nothing* of West London because I am Cool Like That and have only lived in crappy areas in the east and southwest. Well, it was technically a squat in Brixton and it was for a few months. It was considered home, though... However, you seem to be on top of things!

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 13 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #18

I hope so!

On second thoughts I'm a bit concerned about money and how much I can afford to spend. After taxes it looks like I'll have to spend nearly half of my income on rent, and on top of that there's bills, transport costs and food to worry about. It seems doable but I'm thinking it may be better to settle for somewhere that's less expensive than I'd like just so I'll be able to save some of it unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 13 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (crazymat @ Sep 13 2009, 11:04 AM) *
I'm thinking it may be better to settle for somewhere that's less expensive than I'd like just so I'll be able to save some of it unsure.gif

I'd definitely recommend that if you want to have any money for doing "fun" stuff that might often involve parting with the cash. Also, you never know when SOMETHING suddenly needs an influx of money. And it's nice to know you have some sitting around being 'spare' for such an occasion.

I think to be able to "afford" to live somewhere, you should be able to cover your rent, all bills and expected outgoings, and still have some money left each month. Not that it's always possible, or even an option, but if you CAN cope with a smaller place then... smaller place = fuller wallet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Sep 13 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #20

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Remember it's a lot easier to move from a smaller place to a bigger place once you can afford it than moving into a big place and having to downsize due to money issues!!

--------------------
IPB Image
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 13 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #21

Wait for the uprising

Last year at uni, my rent was two thirds of my income (not including student loan, but that managed to fizzle into surprisingly nothing) and it was awful. This year, different flat, it should be about one third which is, if I remember rightly, what one should aim for when figuring out finances. I was spending all my non-uni time working, which meant no time for socialising... but I needed the money to socialise.
And London is expensive. Oh so very expensive- it is very easy to spend £100 on one weekend and not notice, only to find on monday that you've just spent that week's wages on... not a lot. Not that I have ever done that >_> However, there are plenty of free things to do, you can get your cycle on and you can shop carefully and cleverly. Maybe having a Funtimes Jar would be useful (note to self: make one) which you put cash in now and again to use for going out. If you have no cash in it then you don't go out: thereby getting rid of the Just Take My Card With Me And Won't Have More Than A Couple Of Drinks line of thought. Not that I'm guilty of that one, either dry.gif

Going back to food: just make sure you have a well stocked dry-foods cupboard. Rice, pasta, noodles, fufu flour (African shops will sell it: ground cassava you mix and beat with boiling water and eat with very spicey stew. Surprisingly good and fills you up), tinned tomatoes, tinned beans, spices, soy sauce, Maggie sauce etc etc. That way, you can get away with buying a very small amount of dairy and fresh fruit/ veg each week. (Last December, I was so poor when I found a pound coin on the floor I was actually overjoyed as I could buy some fresh veg!) Whether you just can't afford it, or whether you just want a larger proportion of money freed up for funtimes, it can be useful. Also, you'll probably have a local market with plastic bowls of produce where any bowl costs £1.

Sorry, I feel really patronising now. Tell me to shut up if I am!

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Sep 13 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #22

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Fufu! Waaaant. Want.

*ponders whether she can cycle 15 km roundtrip to the African part of the city*

*on a bike with no brakes*

*probably not*

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 13 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #23

Wait for the uprising

I found cocoyam fufu last time. It's pink and looks like Angel Delight biggrin.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 14 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Daria @ Sep 13 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Sorry, I feel really patronising now. Tell me to shut up if I am!
Not at all! Thanks for the advice smile.gif The funtimes jar is an awesome idea. Should make me much more aware of how much money I don't have!

Cycling is a great way to save money but I will need to get a bike and learn to ride it first (yeah, I never learnt to ride to a bike...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 14 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #25

DEATH BY FUFU! /Futurama

I mostly have a cupboard of condiments and tins of tomatoes. All it takes then is a minimal amount of actual ingredients and you can make great tasting dishes for not much dosh.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 04:04 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!