IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Halloween... story.
Animation or audio book - maybe read my first post before voting!
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
Mata
post Sep 9 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

After the enormous amount of effort it took to make last year's Halloween special animation, I've come to the conclusion that it's just not going to be practical for me to do that again this year. I'm going to be working a lot of overtime and I've got other out-of-work commitments that I need to attend to.

So, my solution is that I've written short horror story and I'm going to record it and distribute it as a free audio book. I'm going to record it myself to see how my voice comes across, if it's not up to standard then I'll get a friend with a very good reading voice to record it for me. Hopefully it should be a reasonably slick production, and it means that people will be able to enjoy something from my site when they're not in front of the screen.

This signals a new direction for my output. I'm hoping in future to release small compendiums of short stories in audio book format, charging a few pounds for them. The Halloween story will always be free for the foreseeable future - I wouldn't mess with that, but I do want to become self-employed again at some point and this seems like a good potential way to achieve that.

I get 30k visitors to this site every month, and my comic has 3k regular readers per month. These are good numbers, but I sell very little merchandise, the Amazon links income probably doesn't even cover the hosting for the year... In other words, I've got a lot of people coming here and being entertained, but I don't get any profit from this. It's lovely to help make people happy, but smiles don't pay the rent. To put it another way, if one twelfth of the people who visited this site gave me 1 then I would make considerably more money than my day job.

Like I say, this story will be free, but in future I will be charging a small amount for the stories.

My plan is set for the moment, but I'm interested to hear what you think.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Sep 9 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 606

I voted "How dare you break this tradition!" but I am intrigued by the short story idea. This seems like a good way to gauge interest, so maybe you should just ignore the poll and do it anyway. Or do both biggrin.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 9 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I love audio books, and I especially like those that are read well. You've always been a good story teller, and the voice overs you've done for your animations make me think that your audio books would also be fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing, or rather hearing, what you come up with.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Sep 9 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

I'm all up in this audiobook idea.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Sep 9 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I put I'd prefer the animation but understand why it's not practical and dont blame you in the slightest. My reason for my choice is I dont do well with horror but can handle it with the animation where as spoken or written word would leave it to my own imagination which where horror's conserned is never a good plan.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Sep 9 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Go for it, man. Diversify. I'll still respect you in the morning happy.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 9 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #7

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

It makes me sad to see that you don't make animations anymore. It used to be every two weeks! But the idea of being able to purchase an inexpensive and entertaining short story while supporting a good friend seems like a great idea.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 10 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #8

I miss the days when I had enough time to animate regularly, but it's not a practical way of story telling. As I get older, my ambitions get greater for what I want to do, and I can't afford a month or two of work for a three minute story. I'm a reasonable animator, and a reasonable cartoonist, but I'm not among the best at either of those things. I also suspect that I think too much about jokes for 99% of people to actually find them funny, so spending that long working on an idea isn't a great plan if I don't know what the result will be.

The times have changed on the internet - animators have generally either got a solid reputation for lo-fi nonsense (such as Joel Vietch) or have gone professional and really polished up their style by making steps into advertising and hiring animators (such as Jonti Picking). I don't really have the time to compete. What I can do though is write, because the technical challenges of the written word are a lot lower than creating an animation. It's a level playing field.

A story is never likely to be as popular as an animation, but I hope that it will stay with people for longer.

I suspect part of this is that I want to move into making things that are a little bit less disposable. There's a bigger market for disposability, and a lot of talented competition among writers, but I've got a good platform here to start from and I think it's worth a shot.

Don't worry Cath - my stories aren't likley to be more 'horror' than my previous Halloween animations were. There are many different types of horror. I tend to fall into the 'bizarro' bracket, I think, not the 'teen slasher' kind of thing. Though it might be interesting to try the latter at some point! Do people write teen slasher novels, or are they purely a film-based genre?

Anyway, thanks for your views and understanding. I'm a little sad to have to make this decision, but life has pushed me in this direction and I think it could lead to some good things. I don't think my animating times are completely behind me, but it will be a rare time when I've got enough free hours to do it again.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 10 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

Well, I voted "How dare you...!", merely because you gave the option and everyone (including you, I'm sure) misses those days when you had the time to sit in front of the computer and concoct a bizarre new animation wink.gif

But... I'm sure we also are well aware of how "life" catches up with all of us, in one way or another. Due to various circumstances, I've back in a position these days where I do have a lot of free time, but I'm not necessarily happy about that - or, more importantly, necessarily using it for anything constructive! biggrin.gif

So I've pretty much seen this coming, hehe. It's certain, I believe, that all of us regular Matazonians will support your new creative direction because we all think you're lovely, and we're eager to see the things you've put your mind to - whether that's via the written word, the spoken word, the 3D model, the paintbrush, or the trusty cursor.

Whilst your book finds its publisher, Halloween can give us a tantalising glimpse of your writing style :]

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing it - whether you do it yourself, or get a trusty assistant.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 10 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #10

Aww, cheers Hobbes smile.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Sep 17 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #11

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Ooooh, sounds like a pretty good idea to me. smile.gif

Naturally, I do miss the days when the animations were coming out constantly, but at the same time I'm glad that you're working within your limits to get your creativity out there in some form.
Of course, I've always prefered stories to animations - they provide a bit more space for my imagination to go wild, and in the case of a scary story, that'd be perfect.

We'll just see what my mind goes to whenever I listen to it, and who knows - you may end up with some illustrations (though, not top-notch ones) to go with it after all. smile.gif

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 17 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #12

Thanks Voices.

Doing things this way will allow me to release things more often - let's face it, it couldn't get much less often than once a year!

I've already written two stories and I've got a third planned. I've recorded one, but I'm undecided about the quality of it, so I'm going to try and get to use my company's sound booth, which should give excellent results.

It's taken a fair bit of investment to get my shop to support MP3 downloads (this is going on in the background, so you won't see any changes there yet), so I need to sell a fair number of stories to even break even, but if things go well then I'll buy myself some better recording equipment for my home so I can get good results here instead. That would be a lot more convenient.

I'm really keen to release these. It's very exciting for me to be moving in this direction, and I hope lots of people enjoy them!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 17 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #13

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

You should be able to get good quality home-recording equipment very cheaply, for spoken-word productions. Producing high quality music, which has a greater range of frequencies, requires a bit more effort and money, but you can even get USB-based microphones now with superb quality at a really good price.

Looking forward to Halloween though... smile.gif ... assuming that's when we'll hear the new stuff, that is.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 17 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #14

Yep, I think I'll wait until the week before Halloween before putting these online.

I'll have a look into USB microphones. I guess you know a little about this field, is there any model or type that you would suggest?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
michael1384
post Sep 19 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #15

^ For gods sake kill it!

Member No.: 2,134

I am intrigued by this new idea.

--------------------
I have Facebook
click here, here or here to improve my city.
free cookies!
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, put this in your sig.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
It's not my bunny, I got it somewhere else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 03:25 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!