Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firefox and Chrome hanging/freezing, web browsing sadness
gothictheysay
post Jan 8 2010, 02:00 AM
Post #1

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

So, a while ago, Firefox started doing something that I have discovered is called "hanging". I surf the web for a while, and then Firefox just stops loading - I click a link, it says "loading..." at the top of the tab, but at the bottom of the page it says "stopped". I have no trouble hitting X to close firefox, but then I try to reopen it and get the "Firefox is still running and not responding" message. I go to Task Manager to Stop Process and this does not work. I have to restart my computer. This didn't use to happen quite as often as I think it does now - I thought it was ZoneAlarm (I am running Windows Vista, unfortunately) but even after I uninstalled the program this is happening...

So I downloaded Chrome to try out because I was curious and because I was frustrated with Firefox. Guess what. Chrome freezes up often, and after I close it, I open Task Manager and for some reason there are like five or six chrome.exe processes. I hit "end process" on like four of them, and then I can reopen Chrome, although sometimes it freezes on reboot too. I've run a virus scan, I've defragmented my computer, I disabled all my plugins in Firefox, I've run spyware programs... I don't know what to do next sad.gif

I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop that's a year and a half old.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Jan 8 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #2

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Clear your cache? That's all I can think of, but should be a temporary solution until the computer experts get here and sort it out for you.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Jan 8 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #3

Transdimensional Traveler

Member No.: 1,244

Sounds like you have too many temporary files built up. Try using CCleaner. It will clean out the crap thats on your computer. If that doesn't work try the registry cleanup tool thats part of CCleaner. Run both cleaners more than once and you should be good.

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 8 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I sometimes get that with Firefox too. Firefox won't connect but IE will. I was very distrubed by the idea that I might have to go back to IE! I'll have to give that software a go. Thanks for the suggestion Speaker smile.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Jan 9 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #5

Thanks Mata. It is very tasty software.

On a side note, I don't have that problem with Firefox... but then again I use Gentoo Linux instead of Micro$oft anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 9 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Thanks Speaker, that looks like a useful tool - I did use it but my problem still happened - maybe restarting my computer will help? I think it's a problem with my Task Manager, as it has now failed to close Pidgin for me. sad.gif I have a friend coming over that will probably just end up wiping my computer and reinstalling my OS. I blame Vista, personally...

edit: also just had to shut it down manually because an error about not being able to load the security login dialog came up when I tried to restart. Eugh...

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jan 9 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #7

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I'd definitely restart before trying anything else if something like that starts happening every time you open a program. Not sure what else to suggest for that though. Windows specific problems aren't really my thing since I avoid using it when possible. >_>

Edit time: One thing to try might be installing Process Explorer. It's an alternative to Task Manager that was actually so good that Microsoft licensed it from him. It basically does the same job as Task Manager but gives a lot more information and is a lot better at forcing programs to close. It can either completely replace Task Manager (probably not worth it for now) or you can just run the program manually to see what's going on. In fact, if Firefox or Chrome continue misbehaving it might be worth PMing or posting a screenshot of Process Explorer showing Firefox to see if the extra information gives any clues (maybe blur out any of the info that has potential privacy/security implications).

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 9 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #8

Hmm, interesting. I am running process explorer, which also does not want to kill firefox. I will test to see if it kills chrome in case chrome freezes, or if any other program does. Question though - what should I take the screenshot of? I assume something under the Properties panel?

Oh, and thanks much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jan 9 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jan 9 2010, 06:13 PM) *
Question though - what should I take the screenshot of? I assume something under the Properties panel?

I was thinking it might be useful to see the process list but it seems like most of the useful info is turned off by default. I'll have a look later when I'm on my Windows computer and check how to turn it on if you like. smile.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Jan 9 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #10

A memory of a previous issue that I faced reminds me of a possible fix to your problem...

I had an issue where if I went to a website with Java or Flash in the site that it would either freeze up or become excessively choppy. I finally decided, after many other 'fixes', to check and see if there were updated drivers for everything in my laptop. That helped some. What fixed it was uninstalling every version of Java, Flash, Acrobat, Firefox, Chrome, et cetera. I then ran CCleaner until there was nothing left to clean or unfixed registry errors. After that I downloaded and installed the latest versions for each program that I previously removed. That definitely fixed it.

You could try that and see if it fixes the issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jan 10 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #11

I had a chance to poke around Process Explorer finally. If you right click the process (either Firefox or Chrome) in the list and choose properties it would be interesting to see the contents of the Performance tab. It's not 100% but it might give some clues as to what's wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 10 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #12

this is shortly after trying to reopen it and getting the "already running but not responding" message.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jan 11 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Hmm. Nothing looks particularly weird but it might be worth checking how much disk space you have remaining. If it's less that a few gigabytes then it might be worth freeing some up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jan 11 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #14

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

I suspect Speaker may be on to something here. I had the same problem a while back with firefox, and if I remember correctly the java client was causing the freeze-ups. A clean uninstall of firefox and java might work, but as Moop says its difficult to be certain what's wrong here.

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 13 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #15

Yeah, I disabled the Java at one point and it still happened. Sooo, I ended up installing Windows 7. That, uh, seemed like the best solution. tongue.gif Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully it won't happen again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Jan 13 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jan 13 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Yeah, I disabled the Java at one point and it still happened. Sooo, I ended up installing Windows 7. That, uh, seemed like the best solution. tongue.gif Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully it won't happen again.

>.< THAT MADE MY DAY!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:24 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!