Forum Rules 
> Real heroes
Mata
post Mar 13 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Today I met and had a chat with a guy who worked at Bletchley Park during WWII. He was one of the small team who built the first ever computers. Those computers were essential in decyphering the messages of the Nazis and their allies. I think it's safe to say that he literally was one of the people who saved the world. He wasn't out there with a gun, but his contribution saved millions of lives and helped turn the tide in our favour. I'm actually feeling incredibly emotional about having met him, because people like him are real heroes to me, and I feel very honoured to have been able to thank him for everything that he has done.

On a different side of things, I met William Gibson a few years ago. This is the author that I wrote my PhD thesis about and who is creditted with inventing (or certainly popularising) the word 'cyberspace'. His novel Neuromancer influenced the way that people thought about technology to an enormous degree and shaped the way that computers have developed. He's one of the most important authors of the 20th century. He's also very tall, and a nice guy!

A friend of mine met Neil Armstrong (of moon landing fame) yesterday. He's understandably very excited about that.

Who are your heroes? Have you ever met them?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Silver Star Ange...
post Mar 13 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #2

The Six Train.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 636

I think it's about time the real heroes got recognized. We always read in the textbooks about the men with the guns and the men with the money. But it's the little guys, the guys behind the scenes who really got us to where we are now. They deserve all the laurels and glory.

As for myself, I don't know who my heroes are. I've never identified with anyone that much.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Mar 13 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #3

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

a while back when i was in tenth grade, there were a couple of murders here - a man killed his girlfriend, her son, and intended to rape/kill her daughter and other son. the second son and daughter survived, thankfully, but the killer escaped. a few weeks later just before the funeral, the surviving boy went with a family friend to pick up some things for the funeral in their house, only to discover the killer was waiting inside. this family friend quickly shoved the boy down and took a baseball bat in the face to keep him safe. even though he was dazed, he managed to fight off the killer long enough for he and the son to escape, getting mangled in the process.
i was following the story very closely and eventually found out that said family friend was, gasp, my favorite teacher! he was the sort of teacher who would go above and beyond for his students no matter what they needed, and it didn't surprise me in the least that he'd gone so far to keep this boy from getting hurt. i'll never forget him, or all of the things he did for me, including massive support while i was very sick and after dayan/my father passed away. all in all, he's an amazing man.
i like this thread. :)

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 15 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #4

He sounds like a brilliant guy. There's something about a good teacher that always sticks with you, but it's amazing to hear of that kind of bravery.

A good teacher changes your life. There was one from back when I was 9 or 10 who I think saw I was a bit odd but knew that it was okay. He encouraged me to be silly, but also to work hard. His good humour showed me that growing up didn't necessarily mean growing old. That was Mr Roberts, and I think that a lot of kids from that school have fond memories of him.

Another was a woman called Gaynor. She was the art assistant at the same school. While most people were painting still life, I was making paper sculptures inspired by the Italian Futurist movement. She encouraged me to be myself.

During my degree I went through a very rough time emotionally but one of the lecturers would always make time to sit and talk with me about my studies, supporting me and making sure I was okay. He looked over my work and made sure I stayed on the right track when he wasn't even taking me for a class at the time. Phil Cardew went well above and beyond what was called for, but he did it happily and I'll remember his kindness.

I'm not sure if that kind of thing counts as being a hero, but they were people who made a special effort for me and who influenced my view of the world for the better, or helped me through difficult times. Everyday heroes whose openness to the challenges of the world makes life better for the people around them.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Mar 18 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #5

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Good to know my profession is appreciated! Teachers are some of the least likely people tto hear how much we respect them. It is only when we are waaay out of their influence that we realise how much they've done for us. It was thanks to three amazing teachers that I was given my singing scholarship at school. Without them I wouldn't be the person I am today. They did nothing more than support me but when I was 14 that was more important than anything else anyone has ever done for me

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 19 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #6

Kind words at the right time and place really do mean a lot smile.gif

I always try to make efforts to be kind to bus drivers. They've got one of the most stressful jobs going and I think they rarely get shown the right amount of appreciation. I even write emails to the company to praise them when they've done something particularly good. More people deserve to be thanked in this world, I think!

Anyway, there have got to be more heroes out there. Who do you think of as a hero?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Mar 19 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #7

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I'm appreciative to the many bus drivers who wait for me when they see me running towards the bus stop. Especially the one who stopped late last night when I was desperately running after it when I hadn't noticed it get to the stop and hadn't flagged it down. Top man.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 19 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #8

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Mar 18 2010, 09:05 PM) *
Good to know my profession is appreciated! Teachers are some of the least likely people tto hear how much we respect them.

I've been lucky to have several teachers during my schooling that have had a positive influence upon me. I've tried to "find" several of them over the last couple of years, just in the hope of being able to say, "Hey... you probably don't remember me, but you were fab!"

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Mar 23 2010, 04:23 AM
Post #9

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

On the topic of telling teacher's that they're awesome - Last year I wrote a two-page letter to my English teacher, Mrs. Riha, telling her in detail why I thought she was so exceptionally awesome. I haven't talked to her since, but I like to think she appreciated it regardless. I'm planning on writing another to my current English teacher at the end of this year.

My boyfriend and I had a discussion awhile back about how people who just do little, nice things are some of the best people around. Like the person waiting behind you in line who pitches in a quarter so you can buy your items, or the person who goes out of their way to make you smile when they can tell you've had a bad day.
Little things like that are always appreciated, but the idea of strangers doing these things is so much more inspiring to me. Whenever I see a complete stranger help another stranger out, it just give me the most amazing feeling.
er, basically, what I'm saying is that the people who just do nice, random things are my heroes. Horray to them for putting a little effort into making the world a better place. smile.gif

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:25 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!