Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Facebook, be gone.
Witless
post Mar 19 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

So uh, yeah. I have been a bit down of late, but I don't generally talk about my stuff much, and am not planning to start today, especially not in the daily section of the forums.

But one thing I have decided to do is reduce the amount of people I am in contact with since, a lot of people is a pretty big source of stress for me as of late.

So yah, I deactivated my facebook account. Tadah, woop, gone. Felt pretty good to do. A big source of social spammage removed. I recommend it, it's like detox in a way.

I am still active on msn messenger sometimes though, which brings me to the point of this post. If you're not on either my msn or skype friends list and want to be, just throw a pm here on the forums and I'll add ya.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 19 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #2

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Bummer! I love your facebook posts. But it's true, Facebook is social spammage. I had a long conversation the other day with someone where she recommended deactivating facebook accounts, as she had done with hers, to relieve stress.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 19 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Fair play if it's making your life worse. I find it makes my life better and I'm in closer contact with old friends than I have been for years. I guess it works for me because I don't see the people on there very often so it's a way of us feeling like we're still in touch (because we are still in touch through Facebook).

One thing I have thought about is that while the quietness of these forums is mostly to do with how long it's been since I had time to add new things to my site, I also suspect that it's partly because social networking sites have taken over from forums. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, because I made lots of new friends on here but I don't really make new friends on Facebook.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Mar 19 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Forums aren't going away any time soon, and I don't think facebook has anything to do with forum activity. It's mostly meant for keeping in touch with friends and the groups on there are pretty much just something you can join to make yourself look more interesting as opposed to actual communities. What I have noticed with my friends is a move away from IM networks like msn, and using facebook as a replacement for that. The asynchronousness of it is kind of useful, as sometimes you just want to say "hey, whats up" and the alternative of sending an email is a bit more effort and doesn't really seem appropriate.

I've found myself using facebook less and less lately, as I regularly chat to several of my close friends through irc and twitter, while facebook continues to bombard me with the fleeting thoughts of people I talk to less often. I used to use it a lot more when I played games (scrabble and go) on there but now it's purely a stay in touch thing. I wish my friends would go back to using msn, though, because facebook chat is crap, and having to have a browser window open to talk to people is stoopid.

I'm still going to keep my account though... I find I like to check it occasionally and facebook is pretty good at letting you filter out people who should be banned from the internet forever (although twitters follower model is far superior IMO).

P.S. I removed my msn from my profile cause my email was showing up google searches (dunno if invision boards still do that or not), but will pm it to anyone that wants to chat, although maybe I should just figure out how to join that irc channel (we still have one right?)

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 19 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #5

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Like Mata said: "Fair play if it's making your life worse!"

I've gone through various moments in my life when I've thought, "How different would be life be now, had I not repeatedly bothered my parents to get Internet access?". I have no real answer to the question yet, but I'm aware of some negative aspects of me/my life/my attitude/my personality that I can attribute - to some extent - to Internet access. Not that I'm just blaming away to get me off the hook... it's all part and parcel of other stuff too. But, well, I'm sure some people here know what I'm rambling on about anyway.

*breathes*

Needless to say, I can see your point regarding 'social spammage'. I've restricted what posts I receive on FaceBook, and I am relatively fussy about who I add to my 'friends', especially compared to some people I know, where the quantity of 'friends' seems to equate to some kind of awe-inspiring success. In their eyes, anyway.

I've enjoyed a lot of your posts as they almost always were of interest/amusement to me, so they shall be missed. But I'm happy with your reasons smile.gif

I just hope it wasn't me doing the spamming!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Mar 20 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #6

: P>

Member No.: 991

Despite having gleefully deleted my MySpace a few years ago and never really looked back I'm not sure I'd be happy deactivating my Facebook at the moment. I think as long as the bulk of the content Facebook throws at me doesn't require a response then it's cool, I can usually skip past it. It does suck up far too much time each day but I'm trying to limit that at the moment. I do find the stuff that needs replies stresses me out as it's usually important stuff from people I care about. The nature of Facebook makes that sort of thing seem more time limited that it is as stuff rapidly scrolls off the bottom of the page.

Regarding Facebook vs IRC, MSN and email, it does cover quite a nice bit of territory. It has the asynchronicity of email but the ability to just throw something out there and let just the relevant people reply without feeling like you're spamming everyone. For real time conversations I'd prefer to use IRC or MSN but unfortunately loads of the people I used to talk to on MSN now seem to prefer Facebook.

Crazymat: There is still an IRC channel. I think the instructions in Today in IRC are still up to date but it's pretty empty lately. Maybe a recruitment drive is needed.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 20 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #7

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

A couple of years back I managed to get away from FB because I got really fed up with it and wasn't doing anything of any use on it. Then the less technological inclined of my friends (my group of friends from uni) started using it to organise thing and keep up to date and stuff and I found out I was missing out on usefull info like them being pregnant and stuff and had to start using it again which I was actually that pleased about. So from that point I cant not use it which just leads me into wasting stupid amount of time on silly apps.

Dave poke me anytime you want to chat you know same as always. tongue.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Mar 20 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #8

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Brave move

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Mar 20 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 374

Don't worry, Mata. The forums will never go away. I hardly ever post and I'm here every single day. Even if I don't read much. It's one of the main websites I visit constantly.

As for Facebook, I can understand how that would happen. Good on you. I've yet to consider deleting my Facebook, but I prune that sucker with an iron fist. I also hide a bunch of posts and block nearly every application out there. The main thing that's made Facebook tolerable is the Greasemonkey script Facebook fixer. It allows for much more customization. The one thing that I've always said and will always stand by is that if my mother gets a Facebook account, I'm gone.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 20 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Mar 20 2010, 04:37 PM) *
The one thing that I've always said and will always stand by is that if my mother gets a Facebook account, I'm gone.

Mine has one. So does my grandma. blink.gif I cringed when she added me. I like to use Facebook to keep in contact with my sisters and a few cousins, but my grandma seeing all of my status updates = eek!

I refuse to add my mom. She calls me every week. That's plenty of contact.

Witless, don't lie. You deleted your Facebook because I'm onto you being a robot, didn't you? tongue.gif

In seriousness, if it was causing you stress, then I'd say that's a pretty good reason to delete it! I can't see me deleting mine anytime soon. I live on the other side of the world from my family (not to mention a ton of my friends), and vastly different time zones means we're often not online at the same time to chat on MSN. And, well, I'm rubbish at responding to e-mails, so Facebook helps to assuage my guilt about being horrible at keeping in contact with people.

If I could remember the password for my MySpace, I would delete that sucker in a heartbeat, though.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 21 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #11

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

regarding facebook chat: it is AWFUL. I can never talk to more than one person at a time without it freezing, and sometimes it freezes with only one. If I'm going to have a decent-length conversation, I ask the person to switch onto AIM/MSN if they have one.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 22 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #12

It seems weird that their chat app is so awful yet they still haven't improved it in months. Surely there's got to be a coder somewhere in Fb's employ who can do a better job of it?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 22 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Candbrush Threepwood

I have the chat function disabled on Facebook. I can't stand it.

Does anyone else get nostalgic for the days when status updates were all forced to begin with "[Name] is"? I kind of liked it. It was a challenge to make it grammatically correct.

A challenge some people ignored, of course. "Hezekiah is I am so annoyed right now!!!!11"

And oh, Lord, don't encourage them to go updating things again, Mata. tongue.gif I am still bitter that there is no handy little "Status Updates" button in the side panel anymore. I'm not averse to change, but with Facebook it generally seems to make things worse.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 22 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #14

I didn't really notice much of a difference last time, except the updates bit became more useful... I might even go as far as saying that I think it was an improvement!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Mar 22 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #15

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

agreed. and, i love facebook. i tend to be very busy lately and can't see all of my friends when i want to, so it's easier to keep in touch through a social medium like that. there are also usually some good debates, so, i can't complain..

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Witless
post Mar 23 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #16

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

Hmm.. I didn't mean to put everyone into a mode where they felt the need to defend facebook.

It's just a place that is getting on my nerves a lot, and I think not for me, between anything interesting being washed away by the streaming news feed, people refusing to contact me in any other medium than facebook and somehow being stalked by people I ldo not regard as friends list because mutual friends seem to report my life to them via tagged photos made me question why I was on that procrastination black hole.

The only thing I used it for nowadays was posting links and like a twitter feed to spam out thoughts via statuses. Wasn't really worse the trade off.

I have to say I am liking forcing people to use the phone to contact me again, it's a nice filter to see who bothers to make the effort. Plus, falling off the grid a bit has been nice. I'm not as visible to quite so many people that seem to report my life to others which is pretty liberating.

But the best thing is to actually hear about people's social lives primarily real time, rather than notifications. I find it a little scary now how a joke I made to someone a year or two ago that went along the lines of "can you imagine if in the future myspace became the official way of announcing things in your life". Only for relationships, engagements, parties and all that seem to only happen facebook ways.

Well now, people have begrudgingly started texting and (shock and horror) ringing me again when they want me, and if information about my life lately is out, it's because I have recently spoken to someone about my life, it is a wondrous thing.

But if it works for your own life, go for it. It just gets on my nerves a lot. That said posting random links and statuses was fun, and an occasional note rant was nice. I might start a new blog (that will probably be a lot more geeky than the haphazard livejournal account I waffled on with in the past) to spam people with, and also my own film shorts.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Mar 23 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #17

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

what about those of us who can't call? sad.gif

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 23 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #18

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 22 2010, 10:35 PM) *
I didn't really notice much of a difference last time, except the updates bit became more useful... I might even go as far as saying that I think it was an improvement!

But...but! No more "status updates only" option! It was the best thing Facebook ever had going for it. I do not care if Ste's 16 year old cousin became a fan of [something with sexual innuendo that makes me cringe because she's still 12 in my eyes] and 92384342934 other profiles. If I had the status updates only thing, I could block that from showing up. I don't want to block her from appearing entirely. I have just about every application blocked, so that's not a problem, but the becoming fans and group joining things really clog stuff up sometimes. And and and on the "Top News" feed, I really don't care if my second cousin commented on a photo of some people I don't know, posted by someone else I don't know. And yet, it shows up in my feed if that person has their privacy settings set to "friends of friends." There's no way for me to prevent this from happening short of blocking all of my friends' friends, as far as I can tell. Aaah! And, at least at first, posts were all out of order on the "Most Recent" news thing, and sometimes they just disappeared entirely. I think they've fixed it now, but it'd be lovely if they fixed such things before forcing everyone to change to the new Facebook.

*breathes*

Ahem. Yeah. Not so much a fan of the latest update.

If I wasn't so far away from my family/US friends, I might seriously consider deleting my Facebook. Almost everyone else I have on there I can speak to on here, with the exception of elementary school friends. I don't even interact with them on Facebook beyond the initial, "Hi! How have you been for the last 20 years? Etc."

Has anyone noticed how quiet the Birthday Thread has gone since we all tend to say happy birthday to people over on Facebook now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 23 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #19

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 22 2010, 09:38 PM) *
Does anyone else get nostalgic for the days when status updates were all forced to begin with "[Name] is"?

Yep smile.gif Which is why I continue to post status updates in that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 27 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #20

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Bit of a relief. I thought you'd vanished because I'd accidently deleted you when I was paring down my friends list.

I'd found that I didn't actually know who a couple of the people were, that I hadn't talked to a couple others in more than 20 years, and that I'd be just as happy if that ex never came back into my life at all. Style o' fing.

I also find it a relief that people have turned off the spammy applications. Farmville is particularly obnoxious and it is one that I play. : ) Nice to know I'm not annoying people too much with it.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 27 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #21

There was a new batch of spamming apps that came out recently so I had another clear out - it's good to not hear about the new mouse someone has adopted, or whatever it was!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 27 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #22

I've been brainwashed

Ash I think I need to hunt you down and you can help me with my bad Farmville habbit. (and lolo to tongue.gif)

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 27 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #23

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Sort of a Farmville Anonymous thing? "Hi I'm Ashbless and I spend way too long trying to collect items for my imaginary farm"

I'm the rotten friend who drives you with the announcements that I've found a <whatever> on the farm and would you like it? I'm just glad to hear that friends don't have to endure my spamming and can block out that app. : )

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Mar 27 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #24

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 27 2010, 06:46 AM) *
Ash I think I need to hunt you down and you can help me with my bad Farmville habbit. (and lolo to tongue.gif)

It really is a sick habit. I'm annoyed by the updates from it and even have it blocked despite the fact that I play it way too much. lol I have to stalk my friends profiles to get the random cows they find. haha

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 27 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #25

I've been brainwashed

Indeed it truely is a awful habbit but I cant help it!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!