Forum Rules 
> New job... And moving to Holland!
Mata
post May 1 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As some of you will have seen on Facebook, I've got a new job.

I'm going to be a senion lecturer in games design at NHTV university in the Netherlands (AKA Holland). This means that in three and a half months time I'm going to be moving country for at least a couple of years.

For those who come along to Crawley Juggling Convention - yes, I will still be here for that - that's my last weekend in the UK.

There are many reasons for the move:
Very good money
I love teaching
I love talking about games
12 weeks holiday per year
One day per week for research or my own projects
Shorter hours per day
Living in a new country is pretty exciting!
Getting away from production deadlines into a more academic environment that encourages experimentation.

One of the things that I'm really going to miss is being so close to London and all my British friends; I'll no longer be able to hop on a coach for the night to head up to meet you all. This said, Holland is definitely not the other side of the world and I will definitely be heading back to the UK a couple of times per year I think so we'll have to arrange meet ups for those dates.

All of my lectures will be taught in English (as is everthing at Dutch universities) but I'm going to try and get at least a basic level of Dutch language skills. It would be rude not to, although even the Dutch say it's a difficult language to learn - it's also a little pointless considering how many people speak it globally, but considering that nearly 100% of the people I'll be living around will all speak Dutch I can't see any other way of doing things. The Dutch all speak various levels of English, mostly they are very fluent, so there will be no problem in shops until I've learnt more, but that's still a slightly intimidating aspect of the whole thing.

Moving house is never much fun, but moving across a border is going to be even more tricky. Fortunately Laura likes moving house (weirdo) and she is coming with me, so that should make things a bit easier.

There is a side benefit to all this - one of the things I'll be teaching is Flash 2D animation. In other words, they'll be paying me to work on my animation skills. Yes, this could mean that I start making animations again. No promises, but it is possible!

Overall, this is enormously exciting for me, but it's also quite scary too!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cath Sparrow
post May 1 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #2

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I'm going with spuss on this one Squeeeee!

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Mata   New job... And moving to Holland!   May 1 2010, 09:11 AM
- - CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon   Amazing news! It sounds like the perfect job. ...   May 1 2010, 10:53 AM
- - SPEAKERfortheLOST   Mata you are one lucky guy. I may have to take a ...   May 1 2010, 12:24 PM
- - michael1384   Oh wow! That's pretty amazing! Good lu...   May 1 2010, 12:58 PM
- - LoLo   Congratulations! It's really amazing news ...   May 1 2010, 03:18 PM
- - Yannick   That's awesome! Congratz, and have fun...   May 1 2010, 04:46 PM
- - candice   Yay! Congratulations! That is so aweso...   May 1 2010, 05:50 PM
- - Sir Psycho Sexy   Squee!   May 1 2010, 09:31 PM
- - Cath   I'm going with spuss on this one Squeeeee!   May 1 2010, 11:13 PM
- - Mata   There has been quite a substantial vote for the ...   May 2 2010, 08:23 AM
- - Hobbes   Belatedly forum-based, but Congratulations!   May 7 2010, 10:01 PM
- - Snugglebum the Destroyer   QUOTE (Sir Psycho Sexy @ May 1 2010, 10:3...   May 7 2010, 10:14 PM
- - Mata   SPS has grown into a handsome strapping man these ...   May 9 2010, 02:23 PM
- - Sir Psycho Sexy   Oh Mata, you're making me blush...   May 9 2010, 11:01 PM
- - Mata   I'd noticed it myself, then Laura was rather m...   May 10 2010, 07:38 AM
- - Lurker in the Dark   Damn him and his alice band. Also, woohoo   May 10 2010, 05:40 PM
- - Sir Psycho Sexy   Arrrrgh! Crushed by the weight of my own ego...   May 10 2010, 06:20 PM
- - Cath   Mata are you trying to knock the planet off course...   May 10 2010, 11:12 PM
- - leopold   I didn't see this on Facebook. Largely becaus...   May 11 2010, 11:13 AM
- - Mata   No, there's no professorship with this place. ...   May 11 2010, 12:59 PM
- - Faerieryn   Congrats Mata!!!!! Squee!...   May 11 2010, 05:39 PM
- - Mata   Sorry, I'm off clubbing tonight, but I'll ...   May 11 2010, 06:40 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!