Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first post uni animation.
Witless
post Jun 12 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

So I FINALLY finished my first solo animated project since I finished uni. But I learnt a lot out of making it, going to take a short 3-4 day break from doing proper project work to job hunt 12 hours a day (and also to escape the "joys" of freelance work (or lack of work even). Before I start the next project which I already have the rough script penned down in the most scruffy note book in the universe.

Anyways, here it is.

Hope you like.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 12 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

It's absolutely fantastic! You did a great job and I really enjoyed watching it. You will be a famous animator, I can tell. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Jun 13 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

That was adorable! Really well done as well. I loved it. smile.gif

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 13 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Very cool! Would you like a few bits of critique on it?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jun 13 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #5

happy.. sad.. happy

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 13 2010, 10:06 AM) *
Very cool! Would you like a few bits of critique on it?

Yup always.

To be honest I can see 1000 things wrong with it, but if you can spot some things I haven't, it would be good to hear.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jun 13 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Yann Tierson ftw!

I liked it, but I think the art style was kind of inconsistent in some points (not sure of this was intentional) with some of it looking quite realistic and detailed and some of not at all due to the textures used and lighting. Some of the fine movements of the character seemed a bit off as well but overall the animation was good. It definitely felt very dreamlike.

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jun 13 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #7

happy.. sad.. happy

QUOTE (CrazyIsAsCrazyMat @ Jun 13 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Yann Tierson ftw!

I liked it, but I think the art style was kind of inconsistent in some points (not sure of this was intentional) with some of it looking quite realistic and detailed and some of not at all due to the textures used and lighting. Some of the fine movements of the character seemed a bit off as well but overall the animation was good. It definitely felt very dreamlike.

I wouldn't go so far to say it was intentional, but basically like I said I learnt a lot while making it. My uni wasn't great, so almost everything I know was self taught. The art inconsistency was simply due to me improving in skill as a I made it and experimenting a bit. Same with the animation really. Hoping to pretty much continue on the trend and improve more when I move onto my next project.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jun 13 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Cool smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Jun 13 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #9

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

so so so so so amazing. you are VERY talented and i enjoyed watching a lot!

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 13 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #10

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

This was totally awesome!! I loved it. So intriguing and pretty. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jun 13 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Awesome. I do agree with the comments regarding the animation, but as a whole it was amazing! I loved the story- very intersting and engrossing. I want to know whether he thought what was on the other side of the door really was there! Why is it called Stark btw?

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jun 13 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #12

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I loved how perfectly you timed movements with the music. And yeeeeeaaah my boy Yann-who-looks-suspiciously-like-Neil-Gaiman! Beautiful animation, Dave!

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 13 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #13

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Glorious! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 14 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #14

Okay, the list of pickiness (mostly done from memory):

Quite a few times the keyframing is fairly obvious - the tweening needs some work because the movements are sometimes quite in their precision, move->reach the next pose->move->reach the next pose. Could you apply small extra animations over the top of the existing ones to disguise the blends more easily? We call these delta animations, but that might just be an in-house term.

Texture choices are a bit plain and possibly out of scale - the texture on the corridor wall looked a bit scaled-up. Go for a few smaller textures and try blending them with alphas (or something like that, sorry this isn't my field). Try and dirty things up a little, not much is needed (it's very easy to go overboard), but just enough to randomise the way the light reflects off of objects.

If I'm being picky about the art, the broken wall could do with more rough edges, and the water effect wasn't very convincing. Maybe some more crumbling powder PFX when the wall breaks would have helped.

The bouncing of the ball from the wall animation was very precise - the ball returned to the same spot every time. It was a lovely loop, but no-one is that precise in the real world, so the ball should have been rolling back to different spots each time.

It was tricky to say, but there was something slightly off in the walk loop. I ~think~ the weight of the character hadn't swung forward enough, but it's hard to say for sure.

The re-use of the wind-up-to-running pose doesn't sell your skills!

So... That's me being hypercritical! I really enjoyed it, the rigging on the character is lovely, the animation is good, and I liked the story smile.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jun 14 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #15

happy.. sad.. happy

To be honest I am suprised to hear people describe the animation in my project as mildly as "a few problems". Since when I left uni I still couldn't really do a walk/run cycle in 3D since my lecturers were too busy making us watch movies about the history of animation to give us any practical skills.

So it's nice to hear that I have improved since then. I am not really sure how much time I want to spend working to continue improving this animation since realistically speaking I am only going to use about 1 minute or so of if for my showreel and I really want to start working on my next project which I have planned to be one that would force me to improve at character animation (this current project was about me pushing my ability to tell and direct an interesting story).

I don't want to risk working on the same project forever, and as I said, I can see 1000s of problems. I'd pretty much re-texture, re-rig, re-animate the whole thing. Which would be another however many months. But I'll see what I can do in a reasonable time frame.

I want to know whether he thought what was on the other side of the door really was there! Why is it called Stark btw?

Well the animation was based on a dream I had. In my dream when I escaped through the red door I had this strange, but awesome feeling. Then I woke up. It's called stark as in the definition "devoid of any elaboration". In my dream and in the very first draft idea I wrote down, the hallways weren't dark and and dimly lit. The walls and room were pure white and sterile and empty, but that was very uninteresting to look at. So I changed them out for the dark, but still empty concrete hallways. But the name Stark still hung around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 15 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Plain walls can be made to work - the game Mirror's Edge did a fantastic job of making a very plain world look interesting.

It's interesting to hear about that problem of your uni course - I'm going to make sure my students have similar problems!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 06:36 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!