Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laptop problems
gothictheysay
post Jul 14 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #1

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

So lately my Dell laptop (XPS 1530) which is going to be two years old in September has been yelling at me about how I'm going to need a new battery soon. I am skeptical and poor, so I have just been using it plugged in (like I do most of the time anyway). The battery does seem to last a little less longer than usual when it's unplugged. I don't know when I will/need to get a new battery - it's been telling me that "it charges normally but is reaching the end of its usable life" for about a month.

The other thing is my laptop has always been kinda hot. However, lately it is getting hotter faster, and reaching some scary temperatures. It's made some scary whirring noises which I assume are fans going into hyperdrive, and then I shut it off. This has only happened a few times but it is pretty disturbing.

So my question is, do you think the battery problem could be making the heat issue worse? I was considering getting a laptop cooler (borrowed one for a bit from someone and it worked wonders) and I think that might be substantially cheaper than a new battery, so that is a more feasible purchase at this point in time. However if the battery thing is making it worse, then hopefully after I get a new battery my computer would cool down a bit. I should probably get a laptop cooler regardless, but I do not know when I'm going to have to replace my battery.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 14 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Ah, good old laptop issues! I've seen many of these in my time and what you've described here are some common ones.

First, the battery. Because you use it on the mains pretty much all the time, the battery becomes unconditioned. It's commonly referred to as "lazy battery" and it's down to the fact it doesn't get used in anger. It's like people; if we don't use our energy, we run out of it more quickly. The answer to the battery issue is the same as the one for people - use the battery more. If you fully charge the battery and let it run completely flat a couple of times, you should see some improvement. Laptop batteries should last for 5-7 years, or at least that's the theory.

The overheating issue is most likely caused by dust. Do you use it on your lap, your bed covers or any soft furnishings? If you do, this is where your problem is coming from. The intake fans are all located on the underside (generally speaking: They have been on every Dell I've used) and they have to pull against fabric, sucking in any crap that happens to be in the way. If you're feeling brave, you can dismantle it and blow all the dust out. If not, grab a can of air duster and spray it into every orifice you can find. Then remember never to put it onto anything soft in future if you can help it. Invest in one of these laptop lap desks if you wish.

Hopefully you should be able to eke another couple of years out of your beloved lappy smile.gif

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jul 16 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #3

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 959

Thanks Leo smile.gif I will do both of those things and they should help. I'm sure I'll be able to keep using my lovely lappy for a while!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:25 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!