IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Christmas Memories, (surely not too early a topic?)
Hobbes
post Nov 30 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Well, tomorrow is the 1st of December and, what with the amount of snow the UK has been receiving the last few days, I don't think it is too awful to mention Christmas. Plus, I've had a few wintery songs entering my ears today so (right now, at least) I am feeling rather festive.

I think Christmas, for most people, tends to have two opposing feelings about it. Assuming you aren't totally pre-ghosts-Scrooge-esque, and thus hate it, or for religious/personal reasons you do not take part in the holiday, there is a certain amount of excitement that begins to brew up as the 25th approaches.

However, I think there's often some sadness at Christmas, too. Being one of the major events in the year, it is usually when friends and family get together, so it is undoubtedly a time when we recall the people we have lost in our lives.

But I don't want to depress people...

--

I find Christmas terribly nostalgic, and so it'd be nice to focus on some lovely yuletide thoughts.

What I would like you lovely people to do is post some jolly memories about Christmas. They can be from your childhood (those of you that aren't still in it wink.gif), from a few years ago, or just last year. And they can feature yourself, or your friends and family, or people that are no longer with us... or your dog, etc.

But... they must be stories that are a source of happiness for you smile.gif

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, but a different event during this holiday season, then share appropriately smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Hobbes
post Dec 7 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Although this often happened during the year, too, it seemed to happen more often at Christmas:

We would walk back and forth from the kitchen prior to Christmas dinner, taking dishes of vegetables, stuffing, sausagemeat, etc. from my mum's hands to the table. Then we'd all sit down, tuck in, and enjoy...

At some point, either when we were approaching "full capacity" of the main course, or often just as someone went to get dessert, my mum would suddenly go, "Oh! Dammit!" (or, when I was a bit older, something a little less savoury). She would have just remember that there was a tray of roast potatoes in the oven. Or a dish of yorkshire puddings. Or a bowl of something-or-other.

I don't recall it especially from my very-early-years, but as a teenager it seemed to happen every year smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:18 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!