post Apr 1 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CT...ub=MontrealHome

You ok out there, Elphaba?

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Daria
post Apr 2 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

Aberdeen, being in Scotland, is in an odd position. The cap on tuition fees in England has been raised from 3,000/year to 9,000/ year. In Wales, I think they're capping it at 5,000/year and the Welsh assembly will pay the shortfall. Currently, Scottish students get free tuition in Scotland. EU students get free tuition in Scotland because of EU rules. English students, however, currently have to pay up to 3,000/ year (although it's usually less- at my uni, it's 1,800/year) but this could go up with the tuition fees in England possibly rising. There are huge cuts to department funding, with some universities completely cutting whole departments. At my uni there's a non-replacement policy for many areas, and offers of redundancy packages. Students are starting to mobilise, which is nice to see, and in many places there have been occupations and marches on campuses. At Glasgow University, they have occupied The Hetherington which used to be a bar/ social space for postgrad students that was closed to be turned into university offices. They've been in occupation for the last 60 days, and managed to resist eviction by police recently. (In Scotland, squatting is a criminal offence instead of a civil offence as it is in England so they've done pretty damn well in staying there.)

I was in London last weekend, for the Trades Union Council-organised march. It was lots of fun. This happened:

among other things.
(ignore any talk of petrol bombs or ammonia-filled lightbulbs. It's rubbish)

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 09:10 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!