IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you have done without computers?
Mata
post Jun 12 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I occasionally ponder what I would have done if I had been born in the middle ages. If I had turned out with a similar set of skills and interests, I think I probably would have gone into making locks. There's something about the constant challenge of making locks more and more secure that appeals to me.

So, if you had been around a few hundred years ago, what would you have liked to have been doing?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jun 12 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 606

Hmm... I don't even know what I'd like to be doing now!

Sure there's plenty of things with a decent history that would appeal though. Cryptography sounds like fun.

Although the further back we go the more limited my options are going to be. Don't think I'd do very well in the middle ages. A monk?

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 12 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #3

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

If we're going on our merits, I'd probably have chosen to be an artisan of some sort too; I find great peace in the art of taking my time over crafting something.

That said, I'd probably not have been born into a position of any authority, so I'd more likely have been scooping mud into sacks and complaining about the violence inherent in the system to anyone who would listen...

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 12 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #4

Yes, all probability would suggest that we'd all end up putting mud in sacks, but I think the mental exercise of trying to work out what fit we would have found in older societies. My literary side would suggest something like a monk, but my interest in combat would suggest a soldier. In the far east I could have found a match for both of those in either monkhood or among warriors, but in the west I don't think those different sides were ever really united.

I suspect I wouldn't have made a good playwright - my interests seem to be too far off from the mainstream to ever have had much appeal to a wide audience that an old playwright would have needed, so in the end I'm wittled down to working with my hands. I think I could have been happy as a locksmith.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jun 12 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I'd love to say I'd have been a musician but I'm a woman (and no Clara Wieck...) so I think I'd have just been a housewife. Gladly, though - I really enjoy this sort of thing.

Actually, I think I belong a few hundred years in the past. But would we necessarily be living where we live now? No chance of my parents meeting back then... I may have been living in Iraq! In which case I would still be a house wife smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jun 12 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

My immediate, knee-jerk reaction was that I'd answer this question much differently if I was a man, of course. tongue.gif

But assuming gender, social status, and access to education weren't an issue and I wouldn't be forced to spend my life alternating between cooking, cleaning, farm work, and giving birth...hmm. I think I would have liked to be an apothecary. Ooh, or a cartographer. I like making maps have since I was a kid. The maps I draw are always places that only exist in my head, but hey. Details.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 13 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jun 12 2011, 04:36 PM) *
If we're going on our merits, I'd probably have chosen to be an artisan of some sort too; I find great peace in the art of taking my time over crafting something.

That said, I'd probably not have been born into a position of any authority, so I'd more likely have been scooping mud into sacks and complaining about the violence inherent in the system to anyone who would listen...

Hahahaha. I just realised that this is what I do anyway. (See: comment to Mata on my fb wall about violent protest)

Continuing with the Monty Python theme, I'd have probably been a witch. Creepily perceptive, working knowledge of herbs (not that kind, stop the sniggering at the back), headstrong, curious, and I like to think I could pull off the Tattered Rags look. Also, I like leaping about on hills and howling at the moon as modern past-times, so I think it could work well.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Jun 13 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #8

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

And, of course, you weigh the same as a duck.

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jun 13 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #9

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Hermit! Dibs on hermit!

I would be flipping amazing as a hermit. Brewin' things, fermentin' things, growin' things, scribblin', meditatin', wandering into town tryin' to marry my cat and causin' general unrest. I have this job currently, but I have things such as a bike, a paycheck and a laptop which as of now have constituted the "thin line" between Civilized Human and Should We Call Someone.

Can I be a traveling hermit? Am I pinned to my continent of origin, or can I pick anywhere? The Middle East had a medieval era about a zillion times cooler than Europe, for example, and I don't know much about what Canada was up to around that time. Probably dudes were brewing cool things as well, but in a snowier milieu. Also, bark canoes?

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 14 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #10

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

If it were anything like my (up until recently) life, I would end up being an old spinster living with family members who were willing to put up with me. lol

I think though that I would have just ended up being an artist or a teacher or one of the women in the women's movement trying to get women the right to vote.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 14 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #11

If I can skip across the oceans to suggest far eastern warriorship then I see no reason to not go to the middle east for their medieval period.

I would have loved to have been an alchemist, but I suspect I would have blown myself up. Chemistry never was my strong point... However, I can talk a load of tosh for extended periods, and I think that was a job requirement there too.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 14 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #12

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

/me may have read this as "a hundred years ago" instead of a "few hundred years ago." Teehee

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 03:54 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!