> Personal Website, Need helpz lol
BigMistake
post Dec 20 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Obsessive

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 17,519

Hey guys,

I've got a few spare minutes so I wanted to ask for some advice. As some of you may know I'm studying International Game & Architecture Design. This means that in a few years when I'll graduate I'm supposed to like, work. Of course getting work is easier if you have a good resume and webpresence. A few days ago I bought a domainname that I thought was totally awesome (arrowtotheknee.nl) and started working on a design for my personal website, which I'll use to put stuff that I make online so people can look at my work and think "Hey, we want to hire this guy!". Now I've never done something like that before, so I was wondering if anybody had advice on how to make it look professional and fun at the same time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mata
post Dec 20 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

At the moment the trend is for simple designs with easy navigation. Facebook is the classic example. Keep images simple. Don't use flashy animations where they don't need to be used (expanding a window plane is fine, a pane bouncing open and closed a few times before settling would be bad).

Work out your message - what do you want people want to understand from your site? Who is your target audience? Are you trying to build a following of non-gamer types who want to be entertained (such as I did with this site) or are you solely aiming your information at potential employers?

Bear in mind that trends of web design change - curved corners were all the rage eight years ago, now they look dated. The Facebook style will also probably age too, but keeping your design simple and clear will help avoid this.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:19 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!