Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it just me
BigMistake
post Jan 17 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Obsessive

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 17,519

or do "young people" these days don't appreciate anything older then 2000? Today I talked to FIVE people, between the ages of 18 and 26, and none of them had seen Point Break. Or Casablanca, or Easy Rider. At this point I don't have any hope for the future, and I'm 22!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jan 17 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Well you can't appreciate something without actually watching it. And most people don't make an effort to watch old films.

Out of those three I've only seen Casablanca :/

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Jan 17 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #3

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

do you spend a lot of time chasing them with the hose and telling them to get off your lawn?

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 17 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Obsessive

QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Jan 17 2012, 09:42 PM) *
do you spend a lot of time chasing them with the hose and telling them to get off your lawn?

I would if I had a lawn to chase 'em off of. I did actually catch myself saying "bah humbug" during Christmas, and I had the urge to bang a broomstick against my ceiling during a pre-New Years Eve party and shout "keep it down!". Does that count towards anything?

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Jan 18 2012, 03:37 AM
Post #5

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Heh. I read your first sentence and was ready to dispute whatever statement that followed. Then I sighed.

...Make that six young people. tongue.gif

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 18 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Those people are missing out on Keanu Reeves's finest moment, in a wet T-shirt in the rain. I'm not certain, but I suspect that it takes a female director to make men look that good.

I was talking to a law student on the coach back to the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago. She's about 20 and has never seen Jurassic Park. Something about that didn't compute. I know it's probably just due to my age, but I thought that pretty much every person in western civilisation had seen Jurassic Park. She hadn't seen The Matrix either.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 18 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #7

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 18 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Those people are missing out on Keanu Reeves's finest moment, in a wet T-shirt in the rain. I'm not certain, but I suspect that it takes a female director to make men look that good.

I was talking to a law student on the coach back to the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago. She's about 20 and has never seen Jurassic Park. Something about that didn't compute. I know it's probably just due to my age, but I thought that pretty much every person in western civilisation had seen Jurassic Park. She hadn't seen The Matrix either.

I'm more a fan of the chase, where Keanu has a clear shot on Bhodi and instead empties his clip in the air. Not sure why, but that scene just made sense.

Anyway, that sounds like someone who doesn't watch a lot of movies at all, so I wouldn't be bothered by it too much.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jan 18 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #8

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 18 2012, 11:09 AM) *

I've never seen Jurassic Park. Or many other films that apparently you "have" to have seen. I just don't watch a lot of films.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jan 18 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 18 2012, 11:09 AM) *
I was talking to a law student on the coach back to the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago. She's about 20 and has never seen Jurassic Park.

Ok, that one made me sad sad.gif

I think I have missed a lot of those kinds of movies though, ones that "everyone" has seen. When I was growing up I didn't have many VHSs or DVDs. I think I spent my childhood just staring at a wall or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 19 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #10

"Hey, what's on the wall today?"

"Paint."

"Awesome, I missed Paint yesterday. I hope I can still follow what's going on."

I can't remember the exact sequence, but in a class last year I started discussing the corridor fight scene in Old Boy. No-one had seen that, which is fair enough, albeit a criminal shame. I suggested that perhaps The Usual Suspects might be an English language equivalent in terms of the quality of story telling. No-one had seen that. I kept on going for another three or four films before ending up discussing John Williams's scores and finally having to use Harry Potter which at last most people had seen.

I understand I'm a bit of a movie buff, but there were a lot of films along the way that were fairly mainstream and that are informing developing media. I think games developers will be a bit out of touch if they aren't aware of them... Then again, when I was in my late teens I probably hadn't seen enough of the useful cultural touchstones to talk about them either.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 19 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #11

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 19 2012, 01:51 PM) *
"Hey, what's on the wall today?"

"Paint."

"Awesome, I missed Paint yesterday. I hope I can still follow what's going on."

I can't remember the exact sequence, but in a class last year I started discussing the corridor fight scene in Old Boy. No-one had seen that, which is fair enough, albeit a criminal shame. I suggested that perhaps The Usual Suspects might be an English language equivalent in terms of the quality of story telling. No-one had seen that. I kept on going for another three or four films before ending up discussing John Williams's scores and finally having to use Harry Potter which at last most people had seen.

I understand I'm a bit of a movie buff, but there were a lot of films along the way that were fairly mainstream and that are informing developing media. I think games developers will be a bit out of touch if they aren't aware of them... Then again, when I was in my late teens I probably hadn't seen enough of the useful cultural touchstones to talk about them either.

I personally haven't seen Old Boy, but that's probably because I'm usually not a big fan of Asian films for the same reason I'm not a big fan of Asian games. But any decent storyteller should have seen The Usual Suspects. Maybe you should give a brush up course in cinematics tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 20 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #12

When my work schedule relaxes a bit I might start a film club if I can get a venue for it. It would be nice to be able to get people to have seen a few more of the classics. I've no idea where I'd do that though (and it would likely break the license of any premises too).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jan 20 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #13

Can't you just project a DVD in a lecture theatre? That's what they did in my film club at uni...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 21 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #14

They'd have to keep the building open late for that - it shuts at 6pm sharp. For special occasions we keep it open later, but it requires all kinds of things like first aid trained people on the premises and suchlike. Also, lecture threatres aren't very comfy and don't serve beer! I could fit a reasonable number into my house, but much as I like my students, I don't like them *that* much smile.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Phantom
post Jan 21 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #15

To Lame For A Member Title

Member No.: 16,678

QUOTE (BigMistake @ Jan 17 2012, 11:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Jan 17 2012, 09:42 PM) *

I would if I had a lawn to chase 'em off of. I did actually catch myself saying "bah humbug" during Christmas, and I had the urge to bang a broomstick against my ceiling during a pre-New Years Eve party and shout "keep it down!". Does that count towards anything?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA XD rofl

--------------------
facebook.com/EleanorUmbra

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 21 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #16

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 21 2012, 06:51 PM) *
They'd have to keep the building open late for that - it shuts at 6pm sharp. For special occasions we keep it open later, but it requires all kinds of things like first aid trained people on the premises and suchlike. Also, lecture threatres aren't very comfy and don't serve beer! I could fit a reasonable number into my house, but much as I like my students, I don't like them *that* much smile.gif

And I'm not totally sure you can legally show DVD's like that. Anybody ever seen those disclaimers where they tell you you can't play the DVD in hospitals, oil rigs, community centers, etc? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jan 21 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #17

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I think it's probably legal - you aren't getting any money for it, right? We had an optional film viewing type thing in one of my classes. Never made it, but they just watched movies in the building Friday nights.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 21 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #18

Obsessive

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jan 21 2012, 10:47 PM) *
I think it's probably legal - you aren't getting any money for it, right? We had an optional film viewing type thing in one of my classes. Never made it, but they just watched movies in the building Friday nights.

True, but you never know with those copyright people. I mean, they only tried to break the internet with PIPA/SOPA :S

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jan 22 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (BigMistake @ Jan 21 2012, 06:41 PM) *

And I'm not totally sure you can legally show DVD's like that. Anybody ever seen those disclaimers where they tell you you can't play the DVD in hospitals, oil rigs, community centers, etc? tongue.gif

Well that rules out the oil rig.

You could always start by organising cinema trips, if there's any decent ones near you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jan 22 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #20

Obsessive

QUOTE (CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane @ Jan 22 2012, 11:50 AM) *
QUOTE (BigMistake @ Jan 21 2012, 06:41 PM) *

Well that rules out the oil rig.

You could always start by organising cinema trips, if there's any decent ones near you?

If by decent you mean "shows more then just the latest blockbuster" then I think the answer is no :/

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 8 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #21

My home is a cinema. One of the joys of owning my own house is that I now have a HD projector showing on a 120 inch screen with 5.1 surround sound. It's often better quality than you get at the cinema, especially with an HD signal. The downside is that it tends to make going to the cinema a bit disappointing!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Feb 8 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #22

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 8 2012, 12:28 PM) *
My home is a cinema. One of the joys of owning my own house is that I now have a HD projector showing on a 120 inch screen with 5.1 surround sound. It's often better quality than you get at the cinema, especially with an HD signal. The downside is that it tends to make going to the cinema a bit disappointing!

One of the joys of Mata owning a HD projector showing on a 120 inch screen with 5.1 surround sound is getting him to play Sexy and I Know It on said screen.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 9 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #23

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (BigMistake @ Jan 17 2012, 06:09 PM) *
or do "young people" these days don't appreciate anything older then 2000? Today I talked to FIVE people, between the ages of 18 and 26, and none of them had seen Point Break. Or Casablanca, or Easy Rider. At this point I don't have any hope for the future, and I'm 22!

It's naturally easier to experience media that's current. And thus taking the time to try and watch 'old' stuff means giving up time on the 'new' stuff. And since we all like to try and be at least a little bit relevant and "with the times", it is sometimes just a bit too much effort.

I'm 28. I haven't watched Point Break, Casablanca, or Easy Rider. I am aware of all three, and appreciate that they are considering "worth seeing". But I've never felt a compulsion to watch them. There's plenty of other 'old' films that I have seen, that I know many other people haven't.

But personally, just because something is "older than 2000" doesn't necessarily mean it is good. There's awful cinema every year smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Mar 5 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #24

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

Hey man, it's a perfectly good lawn if those kids would just stop mucking it up.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Mar 5 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #25

Obsessive

QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Mar 5 2012, 03:19 PM) *
Hey man, it's a perfectly good lawn if those kids would just stop mucking it up.

Truer words have never been spoken.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 09:17 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!