IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allergies - would you rather not know?
Mata
post Apr 6 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

After Laura was recently diagnosed with an allergy to yeast, I'm beginning to wonder if I might have something similar: every time I drink beer (or pretty much any alcohol) I get very bunged up. I live in a perpetual state of barely-able-to-breathe-through-my-nose, but beer makes it much worse.

The weird thing is that I don't know if I really want to know. If I knew that a whole slew of things were bad for me then I'd probably avoid them, and I quite like my current range of food and drink. Other than sneezing and breathing (through my nose) problems, I think I'm fit and healthy most of the time...

I'm pondering trying to get a doctor to do some tests to help me find out for sure, but I also think that I might be happier in ignorance.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Apr 6 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 17,519

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 6 2012, 08:02 PM) *
After Laura was recently diagnosed with an allergy to yeast, I'm beginning to wonder if I might have something similar: every time I drink beer (or pretty much any alcohol) I get very bunged up. I live in a perpetual state of barely-able-to-breathe-through-my-nose, but beer makes it much worse.

The weird thing is that I don't know if I really want to know. If I knew that a whole slew of things were bad for me then I'd probably avoid them, and I quite like my current range of food and drink. Other than sneezing and breathing (through my nose) problems, I think I'm fit and healthy most of the time...

I'm pondering trying to get a doctor to do some tests to help me find out for sure, but I also think that I might be happier in ignorance.

Well my answer is: would it hurt that much to know? If you get some tests done and it turns out you are, are you going to stop drinking beer, or do you accept the fact that beer = good but has the con of having to breathe through your mouth? Nothing would change, except for the fact that you might know why it happens.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 7 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #3

I know what I'm like - if I know something is bad for me then I usually avoid it... Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Apr 7 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #4

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 7 2012, 02:37 PM) *
I know what I'm like - if I know something is bad for me then I usually avoid it... Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

I am completely the polar opposite of that. I know that if I eat a big shoarma pizza from the pizzeria one town over that I'll have the runs a few hours later, but hell if that isn't one good tasting pizza! =D

+Quote Post
Lurker in the Pa...
post Apr 7 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Worrying

Member No.: 15,656

I'd rather not know I have hayfever. Sadly my nose has other ideas.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Apr 7 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #6

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Lurker in the Park @ Apr 7 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I'd rather not know I have hayfever. Sadly my nose has other ideas.

It would be nice if it was that subtle. sad.gif

I seem to be developing an allergy to superglue, which is annoying since I use it a lot building model planes and occasionally other things. Steering clear of it and using slower drying, lighter, less brittle glues is probably a good thing in the end though (and better for one's respiratory bits too).

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Apr 8 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #7

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

What else does the potential allergy do apart from block your nose? Is there more long term, serious stuff that might happen? If so then I'd like to know. Otherwise I'd happily live in bliss and drink beer. Though I think I'd avoid the runs for a pizza :/

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 9 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #8

Ah, now that is a very good question. I tend to get bad headaches, but that's from the congestion. I think I should stop being a chicken and try and talk the Dutch doctors into testing me. This is easier said than done - they are notorious for not wanting to do anything if they can avoid it.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Apr 9 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #9

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 9 2012, 10:31 AM) *
Ah, now that is a very good question. I tend to get bad headaches, but that's from the congestion. I think I should stop being a chicken and try and talk the Dutch doctors into testing me. This is easier said than done - they are notorious for not wanting to do anything if they can avoid it.

They're not notorious, just a bit less panicky. After all, they are the gatekeepers to healthcare! tongue.gif

Seriously though, you shouldn't have any problem getting tested for allergies, or you should get another GP. If I tell mine that I want to get tested, I'm standing in line for the test in less then an hour.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Apr 10 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #10

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Personally I think I wouldn't want to know if it's something that I enjoy. You can have your suspicions and figure out how to deal with them, or do it less and it is a lot easier than if you don't know. Could always take allergy medication beforehand if it won't affect you poorly with the mixing of the alcohol.

I personally can't eat eggs unless they are cooked completely because they cause me much pain if I do. If I am going to eat them a little gooey (which I don't really care for), I'll usually pop an allergy pill beforehand so the pain isn't too bad. I had forgotten about my egg issue yesterday and Fuzzy made carbonara, which resulted in the lovely esophageal swelling and stomach cramps for a bit, but a pill helped out to an extent.

Anyway, if I were allergic to something like wheat, I don't think I'd want to know because I like bread and beer way too much. I'm rambling. *goes and sits in the corner*

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 13 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #11

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Seeing as I take allergy pills all year round I'm likely allergic to more than I realise (have been taking them for a very long time). But a friend of mine found out alcohol was giving him breathing problem (astma style).

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Apr 17 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #12

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

I'm allergic to metal, and have reaction to large amounts of chlorine. I'm happy that I know so I stop hopping into pools and ending up sick, but now I have this really hyperactive fear of metallic things that happen to be sharp or pointy. I could do without that.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 08:34 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!