Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How did you wind up here?
Pikasyuu
post Oct 1 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #1

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

*yet another possibly already made topic, shhhh.

I was telling a newer forumite earlier how much of a coincidence/near miss it was for me to have ever heard of Matazone. I had a friend online when I was much younger whose username was MitsukaiSiryuse, and we frequently teased him by calling him 'Mittens'. Out of the blue, another friend IMed me one day with an animation featuring a cat called Mittens and thought it would be hilarious to use to mock our Mit. I checked out the website, enjoyed some of the anims, and noticed the word 'forums' floating around. I had no idea what a forum was, so I decided to click it and find out..

And boom, entire life course set on a different path, all because of an IM joke to mock someone with an unfortunate nickname.

What got you here?

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Oct 1 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 17,519

QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Oct 1 2012, 09:00 PM) *

I was telling a newer forumite earlier how much of a coincidence/near miss it was for me to have ever heard of Matazone. I had a friend online when I was much younger whose username was MitsukaiSiryuse, and we frequently teased him by calling him 'Mittens'. Out of the blue, another friend IMed me one day with an animation featuring a cat called Mittens and thought it would be hilarious to use to mock our Mit. I checked out the website, enjoyed some of the anims, and noticed the word 'forums' floating around. I had no idea what a forum was, so I decided to click it and find out..

And boom, entire life course set on a different path, all because of an IM joke to mock someone with an unfortunate nickname.

What got you here?

Mata. BAM

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 1 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

How the hell do you expect me to remember that? It was 10 years ago!

Edit: Okay, nearly 10.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Oct 1 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #4

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

QUOTE (BigMistake @ Oct 1 2012, 12:02 PM) *

What got you here?

Mata. BAM

showoff.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Oct 1 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #5

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Mata gave me a business card with the URL when I met him at circus camp a couple of years before I joined.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Oct 1 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #6

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I think I saw one of the animations on another site, maybe Newgrounds or something like that. That lead me here to watch the others, and then I clicked forums and eight years later here we are.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Oct 1 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Obsessive

QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Oct 1 2012, 09:10 PM) *
QUOTE (BigMistake @ Oct 1 2012, 12:02 PM) *

What got you here?

Mata. BAM

showoff.

What? It's totally the truth!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 1 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #8

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I came back from the dead and floated as an incorporeal spirit for several years before taking possession of this body. You can imagine how surprised I was to find out he had his own forum!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Oct 2 2012, 01:01 AM
Post #9

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

I saw some animations somewhere, and went to the animator's profile. Thought he was cute, so checked out his website. In retrospect, ten year old Izzy had pretty good taste in guys. tongue.gif

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Oct 2 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #10

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Mr Snaffleburger on MTV|2

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 2 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Wow! Someone actually came to my site after watching those on TV? It made no difference at all to the number of visitors I had, as far as I could tell. It's good to know that at least a few people were curious. I remember one comment on the MTV2 forums on the day of the first Mr Snaffleburger broadcast: 'I feel like my brain has been raped'... I wasn't really sure how to take that.

I also remember that some people were accusing MTV2 of trying to brainwash them. Bless. I guess satire was a bit complex for some of the viewers.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Oct 2 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #12

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Maybe they did brainwash me?

I think it took me a while after watching them before I joined, I think I googled it because it was stuck in my head one day randomly and ta-da!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Oct 3 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #13

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I frequented a chat program that had us use Avatars in chat. I didn't like the ready made ones from websites so I would steal pictures to make my avatars. I googled "goth girl" as I often did for finding the look that I wanted and I came across the website. I watched the animations and would frequently come back to check for new ones, then one day there was a link to the forums, so I joined. After bringing Cand over and CrissiLove, I ditched the old chat program and just moved in here.

I think at one point in time I jokingly said to my mom, after I had just watched the animations, "If there's one man in this world I'll marry, it's this guy," based completely on the humour of the animations. I didn't think I would ever actually meet Mata or even speak to him on something like the forums, so I thought it was safe in making that joke. Don't worry Mata, I'm over the fangirl thing and I'm totally smitten with Fuzzy. wink.gif

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 3 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #14

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

A friend of mine from school sent me a link to a Snowdrop/Mittens animation because we both liked cats and both liked somewhat offbeat humour wink.gif I think it was the only animation on here at the time (perhaps there was one other Mittens animation?), but I watched it several times. I then took a look at the other stuff on the site (photos, art, some short stories I think?) and then decided to email the wonderfully talented creator to just say something along the lines of: "Hey! A friend showed me your Mittens animations. I like them!".

I recall that there were several emails exchanged between myself and Mata before he told me he was setting up a forum and that I should definitely join.

So I did.

Then I didn't visit it for about a year or something... ahem.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 3 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #15

Actually, I think we exchanged emails for several years before I started this place!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 4 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 3 2012, 11:11 PM) *
Actually, I think we exchanged emails for several years before I started this place!

Yeah, could well have been. I knew it was a fairly lengthy period of time, but I really couldn't place exactly when it was I first visited Matazone. When did you put the first Mittens animation online? 2001-ish?

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Oct 5 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #17

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I completely blame my brother for this, always have. When I was living down in London in a flat share with Ryn he showed us both the LGG animations he'd come across on B3ta and knew we'd both be interested in. So I later went back and work through all of the the animations by this point there was something like at least a couple for each of the characters. I then noticed the forum button, so I push it with great trepidation as I'd never join a forum before and was sure what to expect from it. I then went to the 2nd meet the forum had in Winchester and have since been to as many as I could manage after that, and in doing so met many lovely people who have since come and gone who I still miss and made some really solid friendships with people I now see reasonably regularly (for hurling bread at ducks smile.gif ). Mata has alot to answer for! (one of which is on our very first meeting giving me directions that involved wiggles. Damn him!)

and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks Mata.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 5 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #18

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Wiggles? Do tell.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 5 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #19

Trying to explain the one way system of Winchester when you don't own a map and GPS isn't around yet... This requires wiggles!

Hobbes, I think the first Mittens animation was 2001 or 2002. I know for sure that 2002 was the first Halloween animation - this year's one is the tenth anniversary!

BTW, I'm working on making it a bit special - I've got a proper actor to do the voiceover, a good friend is taking photographs for the story with a couple of other actors as the models, I've got an electronica musician who will be working on the score, and of course I've written the story and will be pulling all of the pieces together... I can't wait! I'm really excited to see how it turns out!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Oct 5 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #20

Obsessive

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 5 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Trying to explain the one way system of Winchester when you don't own a map and GPS isn't around yet... This requires wiggles!

Hobbes, I think the first Mittens animation was 2001 or 2002. I know for sure that 2002 was the first Halloween animation - this year's one is the tenth anniversary!

BTW, I'm working on making it a bit special - I've got a proper actor to do the voiceover, a good friend is taking photographs for the story with a couple of other actors as the models, I've got an electronica musician who will be working on the score, and of course I've written the story and will be pulling all of the pieces together... I can't wait! I'm really excited to see how it turns out!

You're not creating high expectations, not at all tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 6 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #21

I generally deliver... The only worry is whether everyone else is as good at keeping their word as I am - if I say I'll do something then it gets done, but now I'm asking favours of a guy who is in America and four people in the UK, and all of them need to do their bit otherwise it all falls apart... Eek!

It's a bit nerve-wracking. Until I get the work from them there's not a lot I can do, but if they deliver late or can't deliver at all then I'm going to have to find a very quick way to get the whole thing put together, probably in less than a week! I'm hoping it all goes smoothly, but I've got two weeks to wait to find out. Scary stuff! (Which I guess is appropriate for Halloween...)

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Oct 7 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,112

A then friend of mine passed the Night of the Zombie Kitties game on to me. I found it to be very amusing and snooped around the rest of the site.
Not sure what prompted me to join the forums. I'm fairly glad I did. It's definitely been interesting.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 7 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #23

I still use that game in my teaching biggrin.gif When I was making it I kept on making it simpler and simpler to control until it was just pressing a button and releasing it, which resulted in that probably being the most popular game I ever made on Matazone (naturally StickScene.com beat all of my records with well over 17 million players in the first few months, but it doesn't really feel like a Matazone product, if you see what I mean).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Oct 16 2012, 01:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 240

Two of my friends in high school introduced me to the animations specifically Mittens and Snowdrop. Honestly my first thought was "Why are they making me watch an animation about stoned talking cats." Fortunately I hung in there and watched more. Not really sure what made me join the forums, I'd never joined one before and didn't get really into any others since. I know everyone just being silly is what got me interested once I was here.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 16 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Oni Usagi @ Oct 16 2012, 02:38 AM) *
Two of my friends in high school introduced me to the animations specifically Mittens and Snowdrop. Honestly my first thought was "Why are they making me watch an animation about stoned talking cats." Fortunately I hung in there and watched more. Not really sure what made me join the forums, I'd never joined one before and didn't get really into any others since. I know everyone just being silly is what got me interested once I was here.

Yeah, I think when my friend linked me to Mittens and Snowdrop it was with some reference to them being stoned.

I also haven't maintained any kind of forum activity anywhere else except here. I've joined about two or three others with good intentions, but this is the only one I have ever continued to regularly visit or check. I think that is mostly to do with people being a little more open about themselves here (so we therefore feel a stronger connection with one another, perhaps?), and it also not really being a forum about anything specifically. The others forums I've registered with have had a very clear raison d'etre, e.g: about a particular game or game company, about a particularly musician or type of music, etc. Although this forums perhaps exists because of the animations, the actual discussions about the animations themselves isn't the top priority (hell, it's even one of the lower sections in the list).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:47 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!