Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Change....
cheese is funny
post Jun 16 2003, 01:16 AM
Post #1

I post more than I speak

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 116

a change must be made... something must be done to get the forums back to the way they were... back when i first joined... no cared about their post counts... there was no mass spamming.... and there were convorsations everywhere... it was like one big family.. there were no cliques.. it was happy... and it made everyone want to be here... no one thought about leaving...

i want all the damn spam to end now... i want all the random crap to be to a minimum.... i want people to start threads to give people stuff to talk about...

religion... suicide... bisexuality... abuse... all great (even though they could be somewhat depressing) topics taht required thinking for posts... i wish for more like these...

i want all the damn cliques to end... it tore the forums apart... the mirc and yahoo BS... it needs to end.. we should come together and find a program that everyone that wants to chat, can use...

if you have anything to add, lemme hear it...

note: THIS IS A DISCUSSION THREAD! I WANT TO HEAR SERIOUS THOUGHTS! SPAMMING IS NOT ALLOWD!!

thank you

end post

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 16 2003, 01:23 AM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I agree a change is needed, but I think people may just all be getting burnt out at the same time. Good ideas there though cheese, and I must reitterate what I've been telling you in PMs.....its not your fault

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Jun 16 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

to be honest, i have all these ideas in my head about what's going on at the moment, but i can't put them into words. this is not the forum i joined and loved a while back. the reasons as to why this is are irrelevant now. cheese is right. we need to f--king DO something. what i see at the moment here is a forum that's splitting at the seams. unless we ALL make an effort to cut the spamming, the irrelevance, whatever else is linked to any sort of negativity here, this place is gonna die, i can see it coming.

Farewell to this land's cheerless marches
hemmed in like a boar between arches

the smiths - the queen is dead. somehow sums up my feelings about here right now...

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Jun 16 2003, 01:27 AM
Post #4

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

Cheese is right! in the last few topics I have said we can't let this spam make the better of us. We all are to blame. If we want this to work we all should rise above it and work together as the family we all are and take care of this problem and support one another in the process.

This place is the best place to call my own online. I don't want it to die, and I am sure neither of you want it to either. As i said before, United we stand, divided we fall....it is the fair and real truth. We all came on here for same reasons: We liked Mata's work and we wanted to meet new and interesting people without being ridiculed. This place speaks to much bliss and solitude eith me. We can not let this place slowly die, we just can't.

We all shall work together, together we will beat the odds of the Matazone's death. We love each other, we've been around to support one another, We have given oen another friendship. Let not this one case of trial and error make you so low to want to leave.

We can do it....all we need to do is work for it. Who's for this worthy cause? I know I certainly am.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jun 16 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #5

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Jun 15 2003, 06:16 PM)
we should come together and find a program that everyone that wants to chat, can use...

i've been thinking that for awhile cheese. i was going to suggest excite's super chat, and just make a private rm called matazone...but that requires a download now and i don't think everyone will be willing to do that. if they are, then that'd be great though.
i don't think msn chat requires a download, so maybe that would work for more people? i'll go out now and look around for some good chat programs...i'll let you know if i find anything.

(btw hrm are e-weddings considered spam? i'm really sorry if so..but heh everyone else always did it..and we thought it'd be fun...)

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jun 16 2003, 01:31 AM
Post #6

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

im glad to know people feel the same way as me...

if nothing is done in the near future.. it shows how little people care... show me you care, do something about all this, think up threads to let everyone have convorsations about... be political... be religious... sometimes... i think it would be best to disagree with people rather then spare their feelings...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Jun 16 2003, 01:33 AM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

you're completely right cheese, but that's what inevitably happens to forums. i posted somethin similar to this awhile ago, saying that we should be careful about spamming (this was before eveyone knew me as 'spamasaur' or wtv) and other things like that (especially hatred and verbal attacks) because it would turn the forum into something like newgrounds, where everyone is angry or the clock crew, were there's not as much anger but the mods have their own little warring factions. i'm pretty sure it's too late to change nething now, but i might be wrong. i hope i'm wrong. plz prove me wrong. until you do, i'm making my decision to leave (quite possibly permanently) formal. i'd talked it over with a few ppl and decided not to make a scene about it, but i think that if it causes some change to the forums (i doubt it) that the person whose been here since day 1 is leaving. remember, i blame no one person, or even a group of ppl. hell, i don't even blame the spamming as it's a result of the little things (such as the mods no longer checking ppl's language, i've seen quite a few 'f**ks' and 'bullsh*ts' written in whenever someone feels angry)...... y'know what, i'm rambling. bye everyone

EDIT: Hehe - sorry Gerbil, I guess you were askin for the rude word filter! - leo

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jun 16 2003, 01:54 AM
Post #8

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (candice @ Jun 15 2003, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Jun 15 2003, 06:16 PM)
we should come together and find a program that everyone that wants to chat, can use...

i've been thinking that for awhile cheese. i was going to suggest excite's super chat, and just make a private rm called matazone...but that requires a download now and i don't think everyone will be willing to do that. if they are, then that'd be great though.
i don't think msn chat requires a download, so maybe that would work for more people? i'll go out now and look around for some good chat programs...i'll let you know if i find anything.

(btw hrm are e-weddings considered spam? i'm really sorry if so..but heh everyone else always did it..and we thought it'd be fun...)

yeah ive suggested that before.....only my fellow excite chatters seemed to go for it lol. but you get to have avatars! i cant come on excite though without having to worry about being found. course i guess i can just continue to use my hiding name since the person i dont want to find me doesnt know what it is and wouldnt know that i went to that room instead.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Jun 16 2003, 02:01 AM
Post #9

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

personally all this talk about how the forum used to be makes me wish i hadent put all my attention in my school work and been able to stay on here (well okay so i'm happy with my marks but i still wish i had seen it) but i guess because i wasnt here that much back then i dont really know the difference. i'm not seeing a huge problem with the forum now, i like it but maybe that because i dont know any better. so far i havent met anyone that truelly irked me. or maybe i just didnt read there posts..anyone i dont really have a point to what i'm writing sept i hope you all stay around and help improve the forums if you have a problem with them

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
elf
post Jun 16 2003, 02:59 AM
Post #10

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

yeah, true true, cheese.

I want to find the abuse thread again. I need to rant there... >_<... *sigh*

This was pretty much the first forum that I found that everyone was just wacky (in a good way) and were themselves. But there weren't any "intelligent" topics (n/o), and I half-liked it... But... now I hope there's something to talk about.

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
poppa.moo
post Jun 16 2003, 08:19 AM
Post #11

Phlurp!

Member No.: 119

Too true elf. It's never too late to solve this. We just all need to pull together and sort ourselves out. No one particular person is to blame, we all are in our own way. Suggestions about other chatrooms is good, but there will always be another person that disagrees, there will never be any and eunanomous(sp?) votes on that front. This ain't the forum that even i joined, and i ain't been here that long. Maybe i am to blame for the way i am, and not coming on here as often as others, so i've missed stuff.

B*llocks.

No-one is to blame and yet we are all to blame. It's too petty to argue about.

--------------------
And when I vest my flashing sword,
And my hand takes hold in judgment
I will take vengeance upon mine enemies
And I will repay those who hase me.
O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand,
And count me among Thy Saints.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 16 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #12

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I guessed this was comin...

I hafta disagree wi Gerbil's comments about how this place is too far gone to be fixed. I reckon there's still enough people here who care enough about the place to pull it out of the quagmire.

All it needs is for those people to not leave!

If ya care about this place, then ya can do summat about it!

If you think someone is spammin too much, PM them an ask them nicely to stop, or restrict it to the spam threads! It shouldn't and doesn't need a mod to do that. An there's plenty of established, respected people here who will be listened to (cheese, lolo, crissi, d-man, an plenty more... even gerbil an missy, should they return). I'm not suggestin war on spammers, I jus think a gentle nudge is all it should need. If someone gets stroppy, then pass 'em to myself or Jonman, an we can take it from there... It's prolly best we don't bug Mata directly with these things, that's why Jon an I are here...

I dunno what I can say about the "clique" thing. Naturally, people are gonna be drawn to each other, an some will be friends more with some than others. That's perfectly fine, I guess everyone expects that to happen! However, when in-jokes an references are posted in threads it can appear a little closed off to those not involved. Either share them or keep 'em to a minimum. Also, if someone wants to talk, please don't just ignore them - they may want to be friends too!

Arguments. If ya have a beef wi someone, PLEASE use the PM!! Keep the stress off the forum. Open arguments jus cause people to choose sides (not all, but some) an this just promotes the clique thing mentioned above... By arguments, I don't mean the debates that some people have put forward - example, righteous has one goin about anarchy, it's a good healthy debate an I've enjoyed readin an participatin in it.

Seriously, if we shed any more people, then it'll be too late, there's not gonna be enough people who care to be able to fix this.

I'm sorry if I sound overly forceful - I'm at the point where I feel action needs takin, an when I hit that point I tend to get a bit hefty with the orders... I wanna stick around an get this place fixed up before I too end up burned out by it an leave.

I note that one of the biggest issues is wadin through lots of threads lookin for useful content. I did think of maybe splittin "General Chat" up into subsections - like "serious", "silly" and "spam". It's prolly a lot of work to shift threads into the areas but I'm more than happy to do the legwork there... Does anyone else think that might work? Or is there any better way of doin it? I'd be really interested to hear yer views...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
reaper
post Jun 16 2003, 10:05 AM
Post #13

I live again......

Member No.: 358

I am willing to help out in anyway I can Leo. Anything I can do to help stop good people from leaving these forums I will do

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
nordelen
post Jun 16 2003, 10:08 AM
Post #14

the monitor lizzards are coming!

Member No.: 299

this all sounds right on the money leo, except for the last bit about spliting the general chat up into subsections. you know that people will end up posting less because they dont know which catagory they should put thie post in, 'cause alot of times people here are silly and serious within the same post?

--------------------
let me FIND a lifestyle before you judge me on it

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 16 2003, 10:17 AM
Post #15

Absentee Mod

Hmmmm... that's a good point nord... I guess it'd be down to the thread starter to choose, but I see what ya mean, they may not be too sure...

I do know that one of the bugbears here is that people dun wanna wade through lots of posts to find what they want. I dunno if they mean threads or just individual posts though. I must confess I don't read every thread (naughty me!!) an even then I scan over posts in those thread to get to what's interestin sometimes... That's not new for me either, I've done that for several weeks now, since before me promotion to mod status.

I think this discussion may warrant it's own thread, but I'll hang fire until I return from Paris an see what the reaction is...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jun 16 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #16

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (leopold @ Jun 16 2003, 10:52 AM)
I note that one of the biggest issues is wadin through lots of threads lookin for useful content. I did think of maybe splittin "General Chat" up into subsections - like "serious", "silly" and "spam". It's prolly a lot of work to shift threads into the areas but I'm more than happy to do the legwork there... Does anyone else think that might work? Or is there any better way of doin it? I'd be really interested to hear yer views...

I know I'm just a n00b to these forums, but this may be one area where a fresh viewpoint could come in handy. I'm personally all for the idea of splitting up General Discussion into separate forums. The main reason I lurked for several weeks before posting is due to the fact that I was simply having a difficult time finding any threads that were worth posting in, because all the good topics were buried somewhere, smooshed in between 26 spamming topics. It was hard to navigate through all that. I wouldn't have even bothered to make any return visits (as infrequent and boredom-induced as they were) if it weren't for the fact that I have a friend (LoLo) who posts here and had referred me to these boards.

Also, I honestly don't think that separating the forums into "serious" and "spam," for example, would necessarily inhibit people's desire or likelihood to post new topics. A lot of messages are pretty obviously one or the other, and I definitely think it would help to separate them from each other because I have already found a problem with finding the interesting and worthwhile topics beneath all the spam topics. Most other message boards I've been to have multiple forums anyway, especially as they gain more members and thus a wider variety of viewpoints/ideas/personalities. For example, the chickclick message boards I used to visit would conduct their e-weddings in their "fluff" or "spam" forum, and all the more serious topics would be separated into other sections. And I for one think that's a good idea.

This is kindasorta unrelated, but I think that, no matter what is decided, the General Discussion forum could at least use a new name, something more attractive and eye-catching. A more interesting name will be more likely to attract more new members, if that's what everyone wants.

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Jun 16 2003, 10:56 AM
Post #17

well, you've all said everyone has to help with change, so here's my idea (well, not exactly mine, but i'm supporting it). i think we should have a forum for serious un-spammity topics, and a forum for funny/spammity topics (this idea came from missy's site so credit goes to her) that way, if you really NEED to spam and you find the normal spam threads boring, or if you just have something funny to say (which for some reason seems 'out of place' nowadays) you have an entire forum to do it (and this will get rid of the un-spoken restriction against MAKING funny/spam threads. and yes, that restriction IS there, cause every time rafdm posted a random thread, you all yelled at him about it. THAT THREAD WAS MEANT FOR SPAMMING YOU SHOULDA REALIZED THAT! i'll stop myself now before i start ranting but i hope you at least notice my suggestion)

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 16 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #18

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (MoonlightSavingsTime @ Jun 16 2003, 11:52 AM)
I know I'm just a n00b to these forums, but this may be one area where a fresh viewpoint could come in handy.

Hi there MST - I dun think I said hello to ya yet...

As far as I'm concerned, anyone here can have a say in this, n00b or not. In fact, I guess you newer guys may be able to see things more clearly than those of us entrenched in this place.

Yer quite right about other forums - they do have distinct, separate areas for various types of thread. Mata has the main three covered already (intros, anim discussion and site problems) but the general chat area is too generic. On other boards, they may have "News items", "Anim related posts", "Discussions" and "Spam" areas. I think the Weebl forum could be worth a look, if only cos it serves the exact same purpose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jun 16 2003, 11:16 AM
Post #19

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Jun 16 2003, 11:56 AM)
well, you've all said everyone has to help with change, so here's my idea (well, not exactly mine, but i'm the first to suggest it so i'm claiming it). i think we should have a forum for serious un-spammity topics, and a forum for funny/spammity topics (this idea came from missy's site so credit goes to her) that way, if you really NEED to spam and you find the normal spam threads boring, or if you just have something funny to say (which for some reason seems 'out of place' nowadays) you have an entire forum to do it (and this will get rid of the un-spoken restriction against MAKING funny/spam threads. and yes, that restriction IS there, cause every time rafdm posted a random thread, you all yelled at him about it. THAT THREAD WAS MEANT FOR SPAMMING YOU SHOULDA REALIZED THAT! i'll stop myself now before i start ranting but i hope you at least notice my suggestion)

Oooh, hello Gerbil! Didn't see ya sneak in there! laugh.gif

A separate forum, eh? Personally, I don't think that'll work. Remember I was sayin about not havin divisions in the group? Well, havin a totally separate "spam" forum will encourage that. I think we all enjoy a good burst of irrelevance now an again (me included) an I know I dun wanna log on elsewhere to do it...

Unless by "separate forum" ya mean a separate group on THIS forum. Which is pretty much what I suggested... If that's the case, then yes, I agree.

As far as funny threads go, I have no objections to them. There are some genuinely funny posts here, an I enjoy them too - cos oddly, I dun wanna read serious stuff 24/7! laugh.gif The problem has come about cos there are too many threads which are neither serious nor funny. Yes, people complain about RAFDM, but ya hafta admit, some of her threads (cos she is a she, if memory serves) are a bit too off-the-wall to be enjoyed by everyone, an there's one I recall recently where someone started a thread an simply said "oh, I forgot, nm..." Anyway, the problem with all these threads is that it becomes impossible to find anythin of interest to post into when yer in that kinda mood. Which is why we have several instances of serious posts which could, and prolly should, be combined.

I guess some people aren't postin funny stuff at the moment cos the general mood is against it. It will change (or at least I hope so) an soon everyone will have their sense of fun back an start bein funny again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 16 2003, 11:24 AM
Post #20

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Okay, I'm going to be doing some work on splitting up the forum into different sections and we'll see how that goes...

Wish me luck, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing...

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Jun 16 2003, 12:04 PM
Post #21

i think you did great (isn't it weird how every time i say ' i gots to go for two weeks' i always manage to fit another post in *looks at clock, runs out door*)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 16 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #22

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Yep, it all seems to have worked. Now it's up to you all to use the new system! Yay!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jun 17 2003, 03:57 AM
Post #23

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

I think it looks like a good system so far, and I like the new names for each of the sections (Daft is just a too-cool name for a forum). Great work!

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:28 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!