IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family Album Decision
Should members be allowed to be added to the family album who do not have a picture and/or an audio file to contribute?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
LoLo
post Jul 11 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Basically I've been getting some requests lately to add some members to the family album, who are basically only wanting to contribute the answers to the questionaire I created for it.

I consider this album to be your (the posters) album, and therefore will do what you want to it. All I do is host the site and write the code.

So what do you think? If someone doesn't have a picture and/or an audio file should they be added?

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 11 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

in the question that should be allowed not aloud, or even just should they be added?.........sorry this is just me being nitpicky over me.

[edit - I changed it for ya lo, I'd hate to think of ya cringin every time ya saw that!! laugh.gif - leo]

This post has been edited by leopold: Jul 11 2003, 08:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 11 2003, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Kiefer > Jason

Ok so the reason I posted this topic, is I want a discussion about it. lol. It's dead on the boards right now so I don't really expect people to be posting here.

These are my own personal issues and why I made this poll:

1.) we have two members with a no picture available picture in the album. they were put in because they have audio files, however I'm contemplating getting rid of one of them, because he has no info, and he has never posted, just signed up for the boards.

2.) i also have someone in the album with a drawing of themselves. I believe i did this because she couldn't get a picture of herself to put up and the drawing is the best she can do.

3.) if i added these people why shouldn't i add others?

4.) if i start adding people who don't have pictures and don't have audio files, then basically I'm using up webpage space to have a questionaire filled out.

5.) as i mentioned before this isn't really my album it's the forum members, I just do the work on it, so how can I just make the decision to exclude people on my own?

See the conflict I have going with myself here? I want to keep the family album under good quality control, but I don't want to exclude anyone, or play favorites for anyone. I personally think the members who don't have pictures, but have audio files have everyright to be in the album, because it came in the merging of the picture and the audio album, also at least it's something to be contributed.

So yeah, people help me out.

side note: i nulled my vote

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Jul 11 2003, 04:59 PM
Post #4

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 80

note: I haven't looked at the album again to see who doesn't have any of this and I have no idea who has asked to be put in there without pic/voice....

I said no.... just because if they don't have either a picture or voice, then they are just in there to have filled out a small questionaire.... that's webspace space and more work for LoLo... And I think that the reason everyone loves having the album so much is to see all of the pictures and hear our voices... even though the questionaire is really cool to have on there too.... so you can read some about the person you are looking at.

+Quote Post
Sun Tsu
post Jul 11 2003, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Flip Mode Is The Greatest

Group: New Members
Member No.: 29

The main reason the family album was started was so we could all see each other so I think just having the questionnare is a waste of space. Even if you had a stupid picture it does'nt matter because everyone thinks they look bad in a picture.

So yeah, i don't think non pictured or audio filed members should be in the album.

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Jul 11 2003, 09:00 PM
Post #6

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

I haven't put my vote up yet in the poll, but so far I think I'm on the "no" side of the vote. It does seem like a waste of time and space just to put a questionnaire up on the family album. If all they want to do is fill out a questionnaire, then they can just as easily write that information on their profile on the boards, or even start a new topic and have everyone post their personal information there.

I think that as long as a person has at least one picture OR at least one audio file, they should be included -- like what Lolo said, the family album was a merging of the audio and photo albums, so people who have both OR either one should be included. I personally am equally interested in seeing what people look like and hearing what they sound like. I agree that the person who has never posted should be deleted though. That's just taking up space. Maybe there should be some sort of standard that you have to be a member of Matazone for at least a day or a week or whatever, and have 10 or more posts, or 100 or more posts, before you can be added to the family album? Just a thought. Or that you can have your picture and info deleted from the family album if you haven't posted for a long period of time (say, two months or so) and gave no notice about your absence.

I don't know about the person who could only submit a drawing though. Some people who actually have available pictures but are too self-conscious about them might look at that drawing and take it as an excuse to submit drawings of themselves rather than face their self-consciousness about how they really look in pictures. If that made sense. And drawings can be inaccurate. Absolutely nothing personal against the person who submitted only a drawing (she's cool!), but a bitmap drawing doesn't really reveal much about how a person looks in real life. It just seems kind of pointless to me. Unless we want to expand the family album into a members' personal artwork site as well, it just doesn't seem to add much. Sowwie. huh.gif sad.gif

Having said all that, I think I'll just officially vote no.

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 11 2003, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I'd say not.

I know I'm a fine one to talk, since I dun have any audio files... but I think if someone has neither then they shouldn't have an entry. Since this is about people wantin to "reveal" themselves, they should play ball if they wanna be on there.

I think the minimum requirement is a photo. Oh, an I think people should choose an av as well... I mean, it's not hard to pick an av, really... I think a drawin is a bit of a cop-out as well, cos otherwise people will jus send in summat nailed together in PShop or whatever, an say "well they can do it, why not me?"

I will do an audio thing one day, lo... I have a device doodad I can use, but I'm so rubbish at recordin me own voice, I hate the way I sound...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 11 2003, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Kiefer > Jason

Thanks for changing that leo!.....and thanks for comments.....people who've voted yes I would love to hear your reasoning why. I'm open to both opinions, and just voting yes does get you heard, but may not get you truly heard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Jul 11 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #9

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

I picked yes because well sometimes there will be people who do now have a scanner to show ya a pic or a digi sam to use, and sometheres there will be people who do not have a mic or any means of recording their voice. And even sometimes there will be people who do not feel all 100% about showing a pic or giving off a recording. I don't like being singled out like I used to back in school. I think everyone deserves a chance. You get to know a person by talking to them as well as pictures and hearing the tone of their voice.

That's my 2 cents.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 11 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

i think you either should have a photo or an audio file, at least. you don't necessarily have to have both..but i mean come on...if you wanna fill out a survey, just answer one of the many ones that are on the forums.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 12 2003, 04:01 AM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

bump

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Jul 12 2003, 04:15 AM
Post #12

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

The family album is a webpage that portrays the Matazone family and the sort of people that venture here. Though it's mainly for us to see what one another look like and sound like without having to visit that person, it's also going to be viewed by the guests. That weighs very little, however.. Some people on the forum may feel left out if they're not on the album and want to send a questionare. But if you want in that badly, you ought to find a friend with a scanner or a mic, or even send it to someone you trust on here. As for being ashamed of looks, I don't think anyone really has to worry about that. Lots of people on here have called themselves ugly when in fact, they're really rather handsome ( Cheez! ). Also, if you are insecure about how you look, remember this. We don't judge people. I'm very thankful I wasn't judged, and it was pretty heartwarming as well. Another thing is that nobody has control over how they look generally. Weight and such can be changed, but otherwise, it's out of your hands. So no need to be ashamed. So all in all, my answer is yes, you should be allowed, but you should also do your best to contribute something as the rest of us have mustered the courage to do ( wasn't easy for me, really. ).

=P Happy posting.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 12 2003, 03:01 PM
Post #13

Kiefer > Jason

(I just want to hear more opinions on this)

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 13 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #14

Kiefer > Jason

I hope by the end of the day to have made the decision on this. I would like to hear more discussion on it but I think that I probably won't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jul 13 2003, 03:40 PM
Post #15

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

they shouldnt get in for the reasons stated above, its there so we can see/hear people. if they cant take the time to get a pic or sound file, its just a waste of bandwith.... i would like to see some new faces in there as ive made a few new friends here....

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Prince Aries
post Jul 13 2003, 04:35 PM
Post #16

Ai Ravana-hime

Member No.: 421

I agree with you guys. See I knew it was called the Family ALBUM. I usually was under the impression that meant you know like......stuff was included in there? Personally I would like to see having a pic or audio file as a requirement because that not only fulfills the purpose of the album, but it makes things more interesting. The small questionnaire is pretty much information that will come about in a newcomer's first few posts (unless you're like me and just dive right in, nose first feet up into the randomness biggrin.gif) Blah blah blah, quiet Aries. Anyway, to summarize, yes I think it should be required to have a pic or audio up. And besides...you Matazone people are just so darned CUTE!! cool.gif

--------------------
Pimping Lolo and ridin' teh Trout since 2003. Dominated by Tigersong, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 13 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #17

Kiefer > Jason

I'm going to cut the decision off here.....after an intensive talk with Debaser about it in chat some new views were brought to mind, and well some of my own have been swimming around as well so here's whats going to happen with the family album:

If you don't have a picture or audio file, I'm not going to add you to the album.

Members in there have gone through a lot of trouble to get in by getting their picture scanned, or having one taken, or buying a mic just so they could get an audio file in there. I don't want to make their efforts wasted, because some people don't want to take the effort to get a picture or audio file in there.

As Missy said to me....the family album is about media, not about quesionaires. Picture or audio only way to get in.

Now for my own point. For many years I wasn't included in the updates of my own personal family album, because I wouldn't let people take pictures of me, and if they got one I was hiding behind someone/something and they really didn't get a picture. So there I was excluded from the albums because of my choice to not have my picture taken. This however didn't make me any less of a family member.

That said you are no less of a family member on this board if you don't have a picture or audio file to contribute. The album is for viewing/hearing pleasure. If you feel that you really just want to answer the questionaire and not contribute anything else....please do so, but start a new thread for it.

I personally spend a lot of time on this album. I don't want the quality to go down and making it less fun for others, and if I were a person looking at it, when I didn't make it, I personally would be flustered to take the time to click the link to a members page and not find a picture or audio file.

That is all thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 13 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #18

Kiefer > Jason

As a side note.....thank you all for your opinions they are all much appreciated and well put.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 13 2003, 05:01 PM
Post #19

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

I voted yes as I find the quesions about the members quite interesting.
I think maybe when members join the family album and don't contribute to the forum...then the question of whether they should be deleted from the album could be asked.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 13 2003, 05:03 PM
Post #20

Kiefer > Jason

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 13 2003, 10:01 AM)
I voted yes as I find the quesions about the members quite interesting.
I think maybe when members join the family album and don't contribute to the forum...then the question of whether they should be deleted from the album could be asked.

That's actually the next topic up for discussion. lol

I was thinking about it when I combined the two together, this and moonlight's and now your comments have made me think about it more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 13 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #21

Engrish Ranguage Student

Glad I could be of some service laugh.gif

the question is...how long should a member not contribute before he/she is deleted from the album?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 13 2003, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Kiefer > Jason

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 13 2003, 10:06 AM)
Glad I could be of some service laugh.gif

the question is...how long should a member not contribute before he/she is deleted from the album?

theres that and some members have gone but made a HUGE impact on posters.....should they be deleted because of their absence?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 13 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #23

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

well....hrm. that's a tough one. i myself will probably take a few absences due to school, and i'd be heartbroken to find i'd been deleted from the family album when i came back.

i think...if someone hasn't posted for about 6 months, then someone should be elected to e-mail them and ask them if they plan to post again, if there is a reason for their absence, etc. if they provide a reason, then sure leave them up there (this doesn't necessarily have to be lo who emails them, she has quite a bit to do w/ the family album keeping her busy already). but if they just don't feel like posting or if they say they aren't coming back, then i think they should be deleted. they should also be given a set amount of time to respond to the email, like a month...and i think more than one email should be sent....just in case the first one doesn't reach them or whatever.

anyhow...does any of that make sense to anyone except me? lol.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 13 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #24

Engrish Ranguage Student

QUOTE (candice @ Jul 13 2003, 06:36 PM)
anyhow...does any of that make sense to anyone except me? lol.

Very well put biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 13 2003, 06:16 PM
Post #25

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I think deletions should best be handled case-by-case... I mean, every situation for leaving's going to be a bit different, isn't it? I dunno if a formula's going to really take care of everyone...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:51 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!