Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uni, I think Ive screwed up
Skiz
post Jul 16 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 394

I have spent my whole life in Bury and Bolton. Its what I know. I am used to a bus to manchester and oing to Lousies on a Tuesday night. I know my Brownies,have good mates and love the area but Ive accepted a place at Nottingham uni. Ive always wanted to go to Manchester but decided to move away instead and now Im regretting the decision. I dont know what to do. Should I leave it a year and re apply, should I go regardless, try it in the hope I like it? When I first meet people face to face I am the ultimate introvert. I find it really hard to make friends and I am so scared that when I get to uni I am going to be a bill. I know all this is probably just apprehension but as mush as I rant about the place I love Bury, sure it aint the best town in the world. But its my town.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 16 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

try it.

i hold the firm belief that EVERYONE from a small town should live in a larger place at least once in their life. you need an adventure. happy.gif

good luck w/ whatever you choose though. smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 16 2003, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

You from Bury??? Oh wow, that makes ya the closest Matazonian to me!!! Cool! Take THAT, Inky! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anywho... I was a bit like you, born an raised in Oldham, knew Manchester really well, was very very shy etc etc... then I went to Uni in Sheffield. I spent about, ooooh, 35 mins at the freshers ball before I was swept up by a group of people (all from Nottingham, oddly!) an after that I never looked back!

Mind, I never liked Oldham that much... which is why I live in Hyde now...

I'm a much more relaxed an confident person than I was, an I owe it all to goin away to Uni. Do it, I'm sure you'll love it! Jus don't hide away, get yerself to the first bash of the semester - even if ya go on yer own (which I did) an you'll make loads o friends. Remember that there's plenty more people in the same boat as you, an everyone is eager to make friends at first.

An apparently Rock City is a great club, too... if yer into that kinda music... Better than Jilly's, anyways...

Go. Have a blast. That's what it's there for! biggrin.gif

(BTW cand, FYI - Nottingham is not much bigger than Bury, an a lot smaller than Manchester.)

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jul 16 2003, 09:19 PM
Post #4

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Take the bull by the horns and go for it. Moving to new places is an enormously life-enriching experience, and trust me, you'll come out of the end of it a better person. I can't understand folk that live in the same place their whole life - there's so much to see and do out there.

Break out of your comfort zone - it'll be scary and unsettling at first, but once you get your feet under you, you'll love the new sights, sounds and experiences.

That's my advice anyway.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
[Wraeth]
post Jul 27 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 344

I think that staying in the Manchester area would be a big mistake for you. I'm trying to get as far away from home as possible when I go to university, not because my home is bad, but because I know that if I stay in this area I'll just hang around with my current friends, and not try to make any new ones.

Also, I know that at some point in my life I need to learn the three big important things: How too cook my food, how to wash my clothes and how to iron them. If I stay here, I'll just get my parents to do everything.

Move away, make friends with people just as weird and introverted as you are. Hell, thats what I plan on doing.

Actually, make that the two big important things. Thinking about it, I dont really need to know how to iron, do I?

---

Have a good time at uni.

+Quote Post
wolfbane
post Jul 28 2003, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 74

I moved from a small town in the S. Wales valleys to Bath to go to uni and yes I was sacred as hell. I almost dropped out severl times in the run up, but I didn't, and now I've just graduated. It's hard moving away from the things and the people that you know, but I've made some great friends, and I am glad that I did it. There'll be ups and downs on the way, but you can expect that from everywhere. Go and try it, that's the best thing I can say. If you're not happy there you can alays drop out and reapply to another uni. Good luck though.

--------------------
~ Last night you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me....do it again ~
I am an innocent anti-minion and my ass belongs to Free Psycho..apparently
I have two vodka imps called Lith and Xan who I will train to make snakebite and black. Don't mess with them.
user posted image This is my acid bunny. I shall call him fluffykins (cos it really pisses him off)

People screaming can I be dreaming
Is this the truth I can't tell
Whether this is heaven or hell
Wolfbane and the sound of a silver bell ~ 'Spiritual Law', Slayer. Inky's song dedication

+Quote Post
Skiz
post Oct 23 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Super advanced member

OO, uni be good. I was worried and it all sorta clicked into place. Nottingham uni is great, its all on campus so everything is here and the city has numerous nice bars, the shops aint up to much but who cares. Halls are fun and the course (although difficult) is quite enjoyable. When we do dispensing its like cooking with chemicals, unfortunatly I f*cked up this week and would have killed my patient 1 serious error in my first four weeks...youre only allowed four full stop. Oh well.

This post has been edited by saucy_tara: Oct 24 2003, 10:12 PM

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Pab
post Oct 24 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Good bump .... I am VERY happy to see that you went for the adventurous decision and that it worked out so nicely ... Good example ....

Skiz 1 - Planet 0

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Oct 24 2003, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

wow i feel a little better about not-to-distant move to uni myself after next year! glad to know it worked out cool.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Mingtea
post Oct 24 2003, 11:43 AM
Post #10

Lanky Mofo

Member No.: 403

QUOTE (Skiz @ Oct 23 2003, 09:01 PM)
OO, uni be good. I was worried and it all sorta clicked into place. Nottingham uni is great, its all on campus so everything is here and the city has numerous nice bars, the shops aint up to much but who cares. Halls are fun and the course (although difficult) is quite enjoyable. When we do dispensing its like cooking with chemicals, unfortunatly I fucked up this week and would have killed my patient 1 serious error in my first four weeks...youre only allowed four full stop. Oh well.

Nottingham is a nice area, quite pleasing to browse around (and they have an apple mac shop)

--------------------
CODE
</geek>

MultiplayUK - Great LAN parties, attend today :)

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 24 2003, 12:11 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Skiz @ Oct 23 2003, 09:01 PM)
OO, uni be good. I was worried and it all sorta clicked into place. Nottingham uni is great, its all on campus so everything is here and the city has numerous nice bars, the shops aint up to much but who cares. Halls are fun and the course (although difficult) is quite enjoyable. When we do dispensing its like cooking with chemicals, unfortunatly I fucked up this week and would have killed my patient 1 serious error in my first four weeks...youre only allowed four full stop. Oh well.

I discovered last year (well it may not be a generalisation, might just be my uni) but its one almighty f*ck up to start with, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and i can't understand half of my lecturers, it took some people 2 weeks to enrol because of a new system they installed (i was lucky and did it the first day of freshers week) still its fun and you make friends....

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Skiz
post Oct 24 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #12

Super advanced member

The organisation in this can be poor, but I'm used to Bury LEA and they have a rep for being bad.

I don't think this lark is for everyone but you don't know until you've tried it, and its plenty of fun for the first few weeks decided if its right.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:37 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!