Closed TopicStart new topic
> Spam And Signatures., A few guidelines
Mata
post Jul 25 2003, 06:08 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

What is spam? There's a question that's the subject to much debate.

Basically it is a post that adds no new content to a discussion. Such as 'haha' or 'yeah, that's cool'.

How much is too much? Well, we all do it now and then, and if something was _really_ funny then it's good to show the poster that it amused us, but equally it really shouldn't be much higher than one in ten if indeed that many.

Spam can also be considered as a post that is very silly, some people consider things that are not 'about something' to be spam. I've not really got such a problem with this as long as it is something that people can respond to and it is in the Daft forum.

If it is a post starting a new topic and it is something that people really can't respond to then it is spam, for example, 'Topic: I have the best dog in the world, message: it's better than anyone's.' That's perhaps not a great example, but it doesn't really immediately bring out the need to reply to it.

There are also points about quantity again that should be considered here, one topic like this now and then and you won't be annoying people too much, seven topics like this in a day and you'll be really getting on people's nerves.

A way to avoid spamming is to make sure that you contextualise your response in a way that people can respond to, for example, instead of just saying 'haha', say 'haha, yeah, penguins are really evil, but I reckon puffins are worse. Hmm... What's the most evil sea creature?' or something like that. One line posts generally should be avoided as a rough rule because they don't add as much (that's by no means strict, but just something to bear in mind while typing).

As I said at the start, if you really don't have anything to say in response to something it is probably spam. Forums run on communication, spam is something that gets in the way of rather than promotes communication. It's okay now and then, we all occasionally post a tumbleweed, but too often and you won't be being funny you'll just be damaging the forum.

Just a few things to think about. This isn't being posted because I'm annoyed, it's just because I'd typed it in response to a PM on the subject and I thought it was worth having on record.

Have fun!

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 25 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I would post this in Daily Life but more people read Daft so it's going here.

This is just a polite request for people to chop their own signatures.

A sig should be around the same height as an avatar picture, if you look at a picture and then look at your sig and there is a noticeable difference then you've probably got too much in there.

Ways of shortening them:

1. Don't post huge images (that's pretty obvious and I don't think anyone is doing that at the moment, but just for future reference).

2. If you say lots of things on different lines then try putting them all in one line and using colour, a symbol such as '//' or something else to make the list readable. You'll be amazed at how effective ** or // can be at breaking up bits of information. Often by doing this you can half the length of your sig in one go.

3. Use small fonts. If people really want to read your sig then they can copy it into a word processor and change the font size to see what you've written. Also putting things in really small fonts can sometimes make it more likely to be read because people are interested to see what you've hidden! Being blunt, often people will only read the sigs of others once or not at all, so why clutter up threads with these words? By keeping it small (size = -1 is good for making things tiny) you make sure that the people who really want to read it do, and you don't inconvenience everyone else.

4. Are the things in your sig important to tell others? If you want jokes in there, or e-spouses' details then make these readable and resize the less important stuff to tiny writing.

I've got a lot of work on at the moment (hence the reason that I've not been posting on here much, but I do come in and read at least once a day) so I don't want to spend my time relaxing trimming people's sigs for them and I'm sure the other mods feel the same.

Everytime you post with a sig that's too long, [insert deity/cruelty of fate] kills a puppy. And that puppy wanted to be a guide dog when it grew up.

Cheers,

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Mar 14 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Just a couple of things which would make the Matazone experience (like the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but with more kittens and less LSD. Not much less LSD though) that much more shiny and happy for us all.

As you know (or should), swearing isn't allowed on the forums. Part of our job is to edit it out when people forget this. If you're quoting a post in which somebody swears and none of us have gotten around to editing it out, please edit it out yourself in the Quote Edit box. Otherwise, our job gets multiplied.

Another thing: nested quotes (quoting the post which quoted the post which quoted the post which quoted the post...) are unnecessary. You don't need to quote the last five posts, it just fills up the thread with unnecessary text. The same applies to images - having the same image five times in a thread because people kept talking about it isn't needed (unless it's the Bouncing Boob Thread, then it's okay).

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Jan 29 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #4

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

One should probably also take a look at the link provided here if you aren't languishing on dialup. Although made for a different forum it says many wise things.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 12:16 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!