Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Big Apple, Yummy
depressed fromag...
post Jul 26 2003, 03:38 AM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 453

I'm going to New York City on August 12th-25th, and I was just wondering if any of you folk hail from that area? (this may be a long shot but I'll try anyway tongue.gif) It's just so freaking large with so much stuff to do...I dont know where to start! laugh.gif I do know about the typical tourist stuff, like statue of liberty, met museum, etc...but if anyone knows the area pretty well and can tell me a bit more about the shopping side of things (yum biggrin.gif) I would really appreciate it. And of course, I'll take a gazillion photos which I'll share with you all when I get back. wink.gif

btw, I would appreciate some names of any good thrift stores because I'm such a savings whore...and plus, where else can you get a beret? tongue.gif

--------------------
Back to the thorny ditch from whence you came, Whore of Babylon!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 26 2003, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Yer best bet, if ya can get hold of him, is Gerbilfromhell, he lives on Manhattan island. There's a few others too...

I went there earlier this year, I didn't see anythin like all of it!! I guess there's gonna be some inexpensive places in the oulyin areas of the island (like the lower east side) or prolly Brooklyn, I guess... All the shoppin I did was in the Times Square/6th Ave area, which ain't exactly cheap...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Jul 26 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Super advanced member

Ohhh Mister Geeeerbil...fromage is looking for you! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 27 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

gerbil is away for awhile, fromage.

but....i lived in nyc for awhile smile.gif it was from 2000-2001, but things can't have changed that much, eh?

ok...SHOPPING! god how i wish i could just hop on a train and go shopping in a real live mall *sigh*...i live in the middle of nowhere now. if you're looking for a bargain, then get thee to harlem, woman! West 125th....just take erm either an A or D train (well, i think, anyway.....it's been awhile) and you'll get there. i used to work in the mcdonald's right by the area you get out at...and trust me, don't eat there! i also lived a block away, but i won't say which building cause my in-laws still live there..lol. i'll just let ya guess tongue.gif

oh and of course you'll also get to see the apollo theater this way. and if it intimidated you when i said "harlem," don't be scared. it's not a bad neighborhood, i promise. just stick to 42nd street after dark though, since you're a tourist and all. (plus times square at night is something to see).

anyhow, you should be able to find a few bargains and cool stuff in the shops around there, provided they haven't changed much since i lived there.

oh...you HAVE to see bloomingdales. that is something everyone should do. but if you get a headache from perfume, skip the second floor! (i think it's the second one anyway)....cause yikes, they spray the crap all over the place. the mall i used to go to was around 32nd street i think...it was called manhattan mall. there's a subway exit/entrance right into the mall..and i think an A train will take you there...from w 125th it will, anyway.

that's all i can think of as far as shopping goes...i mostly shopped in my own neighborhood...lol. if you wanna know anything else, just ask and i'll tell you what i remember.

lmao geez now i'm all homesick for nyc happy.gif

*edit* ohhh i thought of something else! for the statue of liberty thing, the trip to the actual statue is highly overrated and takes a LONG time. i'd suggest just riding the staten island ferry, then going out on the deck to look at it. it takes much less time and you can still say that ya saw the thing. smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 27 2003, 02:46 AM
Post #5

Candbrush Threepwood

oh i forgot to ask...how big is the group you'll be travelling in, fromage?

a big group of people all looking up at the big buildings and/or snapping pictures are easily identified as tourists.

like i said...stick to erm nicer neighborhoods than my old one after dark, just to be safe. smile.gif but in the middle of the day, you'll be fine there if you feel like going bargain hunting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Jul 27 2003, 03:26 AM
Post #6

Super advanced member

wow, thanks so much for all the info, candice! You're a lifesaver. wink.gif I'm actually just going with my mom and sister, so it's not a big group type thing, and plus we're going to be pretty low key except for the snapping of pictures every ten seconds... biggrin.gif I've read in the guidebooks about all the necessary precautions, though, so I'm pretty prepared. I want to know...since there are so many places to go, is Brooklyn worth going to? How about SoHo? I heard that SoHo is really trendy...but is there anything else to it other than it's trendiness? tongue.gif I definitely want to go to Greenwich Village, as well as that place in central park where all the crazy rollerbladers are! laugh.gif I also have another question...what kind of places offer good deals on food? I've heard that diners are cheap, but do you know of any ones that you really like? I'm hoping you know some that have good food at reasonable prices. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 27 2003, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

i never went to brooklyn or SoHo...lmao. so i dunno about those. my husband lived in new york all his life and he never thought enough about either to bother taking me, if that helps any...lol.

for good deals on food...hmm i ate out in my old neighborhood a lot, so that's all i know of really.....lots of good little places there, especially if you like food from various ethnicities. and there some well-recognized places as well. basically the further downtown you go, the more food will cost. but yeah, i loved all of the little places i ate at around my old home. i'll try to think of names...but i usually just referred to them as "that place by (enter nationwide store name here)"...lol.

ummmm central park. all i can say is, don't go very far in. it's easy to get lost, as all the paths look the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 27 2003, 10:39 AM
Post #8

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (candice @ Jul 27 2003, 01:26 AM)
*edit* ohhh i thought of something else! for the statue of liberty thing, the trip to the actual statue is highly overrated and takes a LONG time. i'd suggest just riding the staten island ferry, then going out on the deck to look at it. it takes much less time and you can still say that ya saw the thing. smile.gif

I gotta agree wi this one, DF... When I went, the security check fer the Liberty Island ferry was insane, the boat ride was unpleasant (the East River gets remarkably choppy) an when we got there, the statue AND the museum were both closed! What a waste mad.gif

In fact, we got better pics from the Staten Island ferry, as it passes about 10 feet from the statue. Also, bein a proper big ferry, it's a smoother crossin. There's no security crapola. Oh, an it's free to use as well! They're still doin up the ferry terminal on Manhattan, mind, so it's a bit run-down an a bit like a buildin site...

Best way to get there is on the subway - use the yellow N or R an get off at Whitehall Street. I think the red line 2 is runnin to South Ferry now as well, it was closed fer a good while, prolly cos that stretch of line ran under the WTC...

Actually, that far downtown is only any good fer a few things... namely the Stock Exchange on Wall Street, Battery Park (which is pretty), the ferry (fer seein the statue) an Ground Zero if that sorta thing takes yer fancy. To be honest, I found midtown a helluva lot nicer, there's more to do, the atmosphere is nicer, an the buildings are better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 27 2003, 10:47 AM
Post #9

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (depressed fromage @ Jul 27 2003, 04:26 AM)
I also have another question...what kind of places offer good deals on food? I've heard that diners are cheap, but do you know of any ones that you really like? I'm hoping you know some that have good food at reasonable prices. smile.gif

I guess there are cheap diners... best bet is to stay away from anywhere that has hotels or tall buildings, cos anythin in those areas is pretty expensive. Also, if ya eat anywhere in those areas, a good thing I learned is that if a sandwich costs $10, it's big enough to share! I had one in Lindy's in Times Square, an it coulda fed a small country!

I suggest ya try Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side. The food there is really good! I know people say it, but it really is. An it's not hugely expensive either...

There was one diner on 48th Street (or was it 49th? Can't remember now), just off Lexington - that place did some really good food! Can't remember what it was called, though... Gah, me memory is so feeble! It was only a block away from the hotel I stopped in, so it was prolly 48th...

After that, I run out of ideas, cos everywhere we ate was expensive...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 28 2003, 03:53 AM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

okay, i asked my hubby about all this since he lived there all his life, so his memory is a bit fresher than mine tongue.gif

he said (and i agree) don't bother w/ any of the bouroughs (gah, sp?) except manhattan. the others are just where people live, nothing worth seeing. well, except yeah ride the SI ferry to see the statue of liberty.

gah i never even thought about the train lines being screwed up because of WTC. i should have, though. well, if you get lost....just stop in a supermarket and ask for directions....i worked at met foodmarket and gave directions to lost tourists all the time...lmao.

oh...subway passes! get a fun pass....it is very worth it if you're going to be jetting all over the place. do NOT bother w/ cabs, they are SUCH a rip off (except maybe to and from the airport, since you'll have luggage). oh hey since you're going to be there the 12th thru the 25th, i'd suggest getting an unlimited pass (they have ones that are valid for varying numbers of days...i think there's a 10 day one....but i'm not quite sure. meh just look on the machines in the train station and it'll be listed there). it's quite a good deal. you will need a separate one for each of you, however, since you have to wait 15 min before you can use it again.

oooo btw, you'll hafta post pics of your trip when you get back, fromage! happy.gif

oh...and for goodness sakes, do NOT eat food from street carts *shudder* well, unless it's ice cream, that's okay. but hot dogs..no no. i don't know a single person from ny who didn't know someone who had gotten sick....or they themselves got sick from that crap. blegh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 28 2003, 06:31 AM
Post #11

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (candice @ Jul 28 2003, 04:53 AM)
oh...and for goodness sakes, do NOT eat food from street carts *shudder* well, unless it's ice cream, that's okay. but hot dogs..no no. i don't know a single person from ny who didn't know someone who had gotten sick....or they themselves got sick from that crap. blegh.

erm... ya do now, hon. Me an the missus had hot dogs from those carts, an we both survived. No sick, nothin... Bloody handy fer gettin water from too, I get very thirsty very quickly, an those bottles fer a buck were a godsend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 28 2003, 07:14 AM
Post #12

Candbrush Threepwood

psst leo read my post again. tongue.gif

i don't know a single person from ny who hasn't had that happen or knows someone it happened to....wasn't talking about visitors, as they spend a lot less time there and all and so their experience of that sort of thing is limited. tongue.gif

i personally wouldn't chance it....not with meat and other perishable items. honestly, i know too many people who have gotten sick doing that.

an icee or a beverage of some sort is fine...but anything that can spoil..no ty! my husband's cousin that lived w/ us in nyc got really bad food poisoning from a hot dog from a street cart and had to go to the hospital. and of course all the girls at work told me their horror stories too.

it's just generally not a good idea, i think. stick to food in a less mobile setting, i say! happy.gif

i would say that all these people getting sick or knowing someone who got sick was just an urban myth, had i not seen my poor lil cousin in law w/ my own eyes sick w/ food poisoning from that stuff. and well, i trust the word of MOST of the girls i worked with.....a few are questionable lol. there's just too many horror stories on this for me.....myth or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuperKathoid
post Jul 29 2003, 04:33 AM
Post #13

the spam bunny

Member No.: 11

hey hey... i live like 12 miles from NYC

im there often, very often... im going tomorrow night again, YAY laugh.gif

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Jul 29 2003, 06:14 AM
Post #14

Super advanced member

candice...can you just get your husband into the chat so I can interrogate him? tongue.gif I swear, I won't bully him too much, but I can't promise. ("For the LAST time...WHERE IS IT?") As I mentioned earlier, I'm really wanting to get really good bargains on clothes and shoes...and I've heard of these huge warehouse sales that department stores hold. But are they worth the clamour, or is it just like one of those places where you can get a $500 pair of pants for $250? rolleyes.gif There is some stuff about consignment stores in NY, but I really want a New Yorker's perspective...after all, you all know the city best! wink.gif

And leopold...might the restaurant you mentioned earlier be Heartbeat? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 29 2003, 04:58 PM
Post #15

Candbrush Threepwood

okay sure fromage......erm like for an actual chat?

oh hey i know....PM me all the really specific stuff you want to know..and i'll have him answer it....does that work for ya?

--------------------

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jul 29 2003, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Absentee Mod

QUOTE (depressed fromage @ Jul 29 2003, 07:14 AM)
And leopold...might the restaurant you mentioned earlier be Heartbeat? smile.gif

Nope. It wasn't a restaurant, it was a diner... called the New York Luncheonette... on 49th, off Lexington. Can't miss it, it's across the road from the Waldorf Astoria...

Thank heaven fer a missus who can remember stuff! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Jul 29 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #17

Super advanced member

QUOTE (candice @ Jul 29 2003, 05:58 PM)
okay sure fromage......erm like for an actual chat?

oh hey i know....PM me all the really specific stuff you want to know..and i'll have him answer it....does that work for ya?

ok, that would be great! but I'm not sure if he might know the answers to some questions...they're sort of in a female interest. tongue.gif but I'll try anyway....besides, what's there that a lifelong new yorker wouldn't know? And leopold, I'll definitely give that diner a try. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Aug 12 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #18

Super advanced member

well, I thought it'd be useless to drege up another thread on my leaving, so I'm just going to bow and take my cue to exit...I'll miss you all! sad.gif

Ok, I'm over it. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Aug 12 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #19

Candbrush Threepwood

Have fun, Fromage! happy.gif

Too bad Gerbil just got back recently. He probably would have been more help to you than I was. =/

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:07 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!