> I Want Bill Gates's Head On A Plate, Problems with Windows
Polocrunch
post Sep 4 2003, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 505

I feel like crying tears of rage.
A single day after getting 63 viruses erased from my computer, the PC is working worse than ever. Internet sites randomly shut down, I get disconnected every five minutes, games shut down without warning, the PC doesnt shut down properly, I constantly have to unplug and start over.
I propose that we hatch a plot to murder Bill Gates.
It'll be like Murder On The Orient Express - everyone can have a stab!
What think ye?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mingtea
post Sep 4 2003, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Lanky Mofo

Group: New Members
Member No.: 403

because you got a virus you're blaming it on windows?

--------------------
CODE
</geek>

MultiplayUK - Great LAN parties, attend today :)

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Sep 4 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #3

This space intentionally left blank

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

Well... I see Polo's point... Windows doesn't handle damage well, and makes it hard to shut down the affected processes properly so you can keep the machine running for long enough to fix.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 5 2003, 09:45 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Windows is the demon that most computer users of the world have to carry on their back. I hate it but I couldn't run everything I do without it. Mine likes giving me runtime errors and blue screens of death occasionally. These days I just defrag the harddrive usually around once a week and set it up t check for errors on a boot and then go off for lunch, that seems to cut down the problems.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 5 2003, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

i've said this many times, xp is simply THE most stable version of windows i have ever used....except maybe 3.1, but it's not as pretty, it is a pig when it comes to updating from a previous version though....

i swear these wkd's are getting stronger...maybe i should eat something... hmm

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Sep 5 2003, 07:24 PM
Post #6

FUEGO!

Member No.: 386

Seconded on windows xp, Microsoft may still make products with too many "features" to make people upgrade their computers but they've been forced to make reliable, less buggy software because linux is becoming a real threat. The pathetic slashdot zombie in me still wants linux to take over the world but I must admit microsoft are making darn good products for end users at the moment. (Apart from msn6, I'm still using 4.6 and I'm dreading the day that I have to "upgrade")

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 5 2003, 07:35 PM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Sep 5 2003, 08:08 PM)
xp is simply THE most stable version of windows i have ever used....except maybe 3.1

I loved 3.1. I could do stuff.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Sep 5 2003, 07:43 PM
Post #8

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

I took my high school computer class on a Windows 3.1 model. Then I got out into the real world and found out that since Bill Gates had screwed up the further models so much from 3.1 that I couldn't do much of anything. dry.gif

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Guest_Logicman_*
post Sep 5 2003, 07:58 PM
Post #9

Guests

Windows... hoi, windows... 95, 98, 2000, XP... XP is definitely the best out of the windows series... but really, I think a braindead hampster could make a better product... hmm, maybe I should try!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Sep 5 2003, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Big up the XP posse!

I've been using it pretty much for the last year, and it's yet to crap out on me properly. I think there may have been once when I had to force a reboot, but it fixed everything itself then, and happily carried on working.

Having said that, apps do still crash with annoying regularity, especially some of my more graphics-intensive games. I don't know whether to blame my weird laptop-ATI graphics card, DirectX, or Bill himself.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 5 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 5 2003, 09:09 PM)
Having said that, apps do still crash with annoying regularity, especially some of my more graphics-intensive games. I don't know whether to blame my weird laptop-ATI graphics card, DirectX, or Bill himself.

i had that sorta problem when i first got my computer....well i had a load of problems but that was one of the most annoying, i managed to fix the problem...though it could have been any number of things, shop bought systems shouldn't suffer from things like over heating or poor compatibility, as for dx try getting the lastest version if you don't already have it (9.something), if that doesn't work all i can suggest is try clearing some shelf space in the top shelf of your fridge....one reason why i hate laptops, you can't tinker with them very easily

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
naudia
post Sep 5 2003, 08:51 PM
Post #12

Guppy Xtreme!

Member No.: 547

first of all, windows 2000 is the greatest.........
the problems you have sound alot like the blaster worm, you are showing all symptoms of it and when you deleted the rest of your viruses you probably opened up a regestry entry that was used by one of the previous viruses that you had...(alot of viruses use some of the same registry entries, and since you can not have more then one of a registry entry then you wouldnt have had the blaster worm working right.) so do this.........
go here for the windows patch for the virus then and go here for a free antiivirus that actually is better then norton or mcafee then....go here and get a free registry healer and scan, it will fix all the screwed up registry entries from your 63 viruses, and also just normal wear and tear you create in there just using your puter.....enjoy

--------------------

See how I am faithful:
with all my heart
and with all my soul,
I am with you
even when I am far away.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Sep 5 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #13

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (naudia @ Sep 5 2003, 02:51 PM)
first of all, windows 2000 is the greatest.........
the problems you have sound alot like the blaster worm, you are showing all symptoms of it and when you deleted the rest of your viruses you probably opened up a regestry entry that was used by one of the previous viruses that you had...(alot of viruses use some of the same registry entries, and since you can not have more then one of a registry entry then you wouldnt have had the blaster worm working right.) so do this.........
go here for the windows patch for the virus then and go here for a free antiivirus that actually is better then norton or mcafee then....go here and get a free registry healer and scan, it will fix all the screwed up registry entries from your 63 viruses, and also just normal wear and tear you create in there just using your puter.....enjoy

....and the forum now has it's very own IT support! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
leopold
post Sep 5 2003, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Tis true... XP is rock solid, provided ya set it up right in the first place, an don't load anythin that might be a tad suspect.

Frankly, I think it's amazin that anyone can produce an OS that can be compatible wi thousands upon thousands o different possible configs, considerin the numerous processors, chipsets, sound cards, graphics cards, scanners, printers, webcams, network cards, SCSI interfaces, hard disks, CD and DVD drives, modems, cameras, webcams, PDAs, TV cards, joysticks, game pads, steering wheels, keyboards, mice, monitors... Not to mention all the third party software that insists it knows better an overwrites the Windows libraries (another huge crash problem).

I doubt anyone could do better, frankly. Yep, Linux may be more stable, but does it support all hardware configs? Does it have the same breadth of software? Erm, no, it doesn't...

You crash XP, then it's a driver or a piece of software. Locate an remove said, then use the System File Checker (on the CD) which will repair any damage done by such naughtiness.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Sep 5 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #15

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i dont know im running xp and i havent had anyproblems but that might be due to some of my freinds and there hacker-ish-ness (heh 2 birds one stone) and them always sending me patches and such and i probibly have the best anti-virus collection in the world on my computer. its very nice.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Sep 6 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 374

I'm having some problems with my computer. Prepare for a possible rant.

*takes a deeeeepp breath*

My computer is a Gateway. And I'm running on Windows ME. Now, I've been waiting for three years to get DSL in my whitebread hick town, and it's finally come. I can get rid of this crappy AOL. So, it's installed, I have the modem and everything, but I CAN'T USE IT! I can't get on! So I called up the provider and asked them. We spent about 2-3hours running through some stuff on my pc. I started out trying to connect the modem through the USB port, but the rep told me to change it to the ethernet cable. So I did. After another hour he told me that my computer thinks it has two ethernet cards when it only has one. It only has one because it only has one ethernet plug in at the back. So he tells me that I've either got to re-install the drivers and hope that it fixes it, or get a new computer. GET A NEW COMPUTER?!?! This one is barely a year old!!!!

Arrggghh, for all those computer savy dudes/dudettes, what say ye?

And Polo, I apologize for hijacking your thread.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Sep 11 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #17

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

well, thanks naudia, but now I can't click on links, and those that I type in rarely work either. We had a guy in to fix the computer, and we have got rid of the blaster worm (good analysis). However, the system is still suffering huge problems, particularly with the internet. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it. That, or arm myself with a sub-machine gun and open fire in my school. i haven't decided which yet.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Sep 11 2003, 07:41 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Sep 6 2003, 03:26 AM)
I'm running on Windows ME.

There's your problem. ME is possibly the worst edition they ever released. It has so many bugs it's untrue. If you really must keep using it though, make sure you have all the patches. Especially the ones which plug the memory leaks.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Sep 11 2003, 08:21 PM
Post #19

FUEGO!

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Sep 6 2003, 02:26 AM)
I'm having some problems with my computer. Prepare for a possible rant.

*takes a deeeeepp breath*

My computer is a Gateway. And I'm running on Windows ME. Now, I've been waiting for three years to get DSL in my whitebread hick town, and it's finally come. I can get rid of this crappy AOL. So, it's installed, I have the modem and everything, but I CAN'T USE IT! I can't get on! So I called up the provider and asked them. We spent about 2-3hours running through some stuff on my pc. I started out trying to connect the modem through the USB port, but the rep told me to change it to the ethernet cable. So I did. After another hour he told me that my computer thinks it has two ethernet cards when it only has one. It only has one because it only has one ethernet plug in at the back. So he tells me that I've either got to re-install the drivers and hope that it fixes it, or get a new computer. GET A NEW COMPUTER?!?! This one is barely a year old!!!!

Arrggghh, for all those computer savy dudes/dudettes, what say ye?

And Polo, I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Tbh I'd say you'll probably be best off backing up all your data, making sure you have all and any floppies or cds that came with the pc then formatting the hard drive and installing windows 2000 or XP. Be prepared to possibly spend a long time fiddling with the internet connection but don't give up on it, that part of installation used to really get me down, don't know how much easier it is with 2000 and XP though because I don't have much experience with them.

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post Sep 11 2003, 08:25 PM
Post #20

With DSL being coneected using ethernet it's a doddle with XP and 2000. You don't really need to do a lot more than plug it in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Sep 11 2003, 08:41 PM
Post #21

FUEGO!

Good to hear, I've been meaning to switch to 2k for ages but I don't get round to it...
98se has been being very naughty lately. *pokes it*

+Quote Post
reaper
post Sep 11 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #22

I live again......

Member No.: 358

Windows sucks, Computers suck. The best program for running things was DOS. Least amount of freeze ups, the only thing that people did not like is that they had to manually search for the programs you wanted but if you know how to use it it come in handy. For example if your computer could not find windows like my Aunt computer decided to do a little while back.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Belldandy
post Sep 12 2003, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Super advanced member

Member No.: 518

<Belldandy stands in the middle of a field. It is midmorning. She raises the shining, glimmering axe above her head, bringing it down with full force on WINDOWS ME. She then brings a chainsaw into the picture, going into the screaming program, tearing it to shreds. She then douses it with gasoline and lights a match, and the entire thing blazes up in a delightful inferno as she laughs histarically>

I hope this violent little description accurately communicates my feelings about Microsoft Windows ME, which came installed on the computer I currently own. Luckily, I now have XP, but I can't say I'm just in love with it either. Ah, computers. It's such a love-hate relationship.

"Bill Gates! Head on a Plate! Bill Gates! Head on a Plate!" Wonderful. It sounds like a cheer-- everyone now! "Bill Gates! Head on a Plate! Bill Gates! Head on a Plate!"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 01:38 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!