IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wow. Always A Rumour, But it finally came true.
Jaq
post Sep 17 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Took this grammar!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 165

I'm sure lots o you have heard about the sidewalk preachers screaming out their messages into a crowd. I've only seen one before and it was just a nice odd looking old lady handing out pamphlets. Well yesterday I saw an honest to God fundamentalist creationist guy. He was standing outside of the Arts building on campus as alot of people came out of their classes. He was hsouting at the top of his lungs about how we were all going to hell because we were learning and believing evolutionary teachigns. i think his exact wors were "no better than animals" There was a huge crowd of students coming out of the building yet he still managed to have a 100 ft circle all to himself. People avoided him like the plague. He was waving a New Testament and a bunch of flyers.... I'm not sure what he hoped to accomplish by yelling at people.... No one actually responded to him. Okay, except for me, but I'm not proud of that.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Sep 17 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #2

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

ah. they're f--king everywhere here. one of them saw me in my death to the pixies shirt, and yelled "the pixies aren't going to save you from eternal damnation!"

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Sep 18 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #3

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (Debaser @ Sep 17 2003, 06:06 PM)
ah. they're f--king everywhere here. one of them saw me in my death to the pixies shirt, and yelled "the pixies aren't going to save you from eternal damnation!"

Then you should have said "No, but they *will* quicken my hedonistic spiral into the abyss"

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Sep 18 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Member No.: 154

hehe....i actually said "yes they will, as kim deal is jesus." and then ran for my life as he chased me down oxford street...

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Sep 18 2003, 12:15 AM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

aaaah preachers. the best form of entertainment in NYC laugh.gif

however, if they get annoying and you want them to shut up for a few seconds, tell them to suck on a bible. laugh.gif (sorry if i offended anyone. i know it's offensive but it works every time)

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Sep 18 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #6

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (Debaser @ Sep 17 2003, 06:19 PM)
hehe....i actually said "yes they will, as kim deal is jesus." and then ran for my life as he chased me down oxford street...

LMFAO! That's great!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Sep 18 2003, 01:46 AM
Post #7

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

Yay! crazy stupid creationists, pixies and hedonism. This is the best thread ever!
But seriously, what did you do Jaq?

+Quote Post
kidvicious2punk
post Sep 18 2003, 03:44 AM
Post #8

word

Member No.: 359

never seen one in my life...

--------------------
salviadivinorum.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 18 2003, 11:27 AM
Post #9

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

There was an evangelist in town the other day and I just wanted to go up to him and say, "What makes you so SURE that you're right?!"

I didn't want to have an argument with him but try to understand why he thinks Christianity is the right way. I personally don't and I have my reasons but I'd be intrigued to hear his. Who knows he might actually have something sensible to say.

Thing was, I was waiting for my bloke in HMV and I didn't think he'd appreciate it if he came back and found me having a discussion with an evangelist in the middle of the town centre attracting all sorts of people laugh.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Sep 18 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #10

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I'm a magnet for preachers of all denominations. Something about my face seems to beg for salvation...

My favourites are the Krishnas. They're just so nice! They sidle up, ask for a quick chat, try and sell you a couple of magazines, then let you go after a hearty 'Gouranga!'. Something about them cheers me up a bit - and you can barely turn a corner in certain parts of Manchester without bumping into one. Hurrah for Hare Krishnas!

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 18 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Why do you get the ones giving out flyers? I always get the ones giving out bibles. Then when I throw them to the ground they yell at me to pick them up and I have to laugh. (btw I litter it at their feet so they can pick it up and give it to someone who might want one.)

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Sep 18 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #12

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

We don't have much in the way of religous preachy people here in Tamworth, but we do get a lot of people trying to flog stuff and pounce on you in the street.

There was some guy today at lunch trying to flog something for charity. I think he must have buggered up what he was trying to say as he told me he was 'selling some great children'

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Sep 18 2003, 01:16 PM
Post #13

put the aerial on your head

Member No.: 89

I was out shopping in my town the other day and there was this guy standing infront of Boots shouting about God and Jesus and how they can "save" us. I don't think anybody said a word to him, the only problem was trying to get past him without him saying something to you cos it was a very narrow street. I had to jump into a few shops to avoid him.

People like that annoy me, especially Jehovah's Witness's. It always seems to be a little old lady who knocks my door and I hate being rude so every time, she gives me a leaflet and I tell her I'll take it but it won't change my opinion..but still she insists on coming back just to check.

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Sep 18 2003, 02:05 PM
Post #14

Engrish Ranguage Student

You wanna watch that. Take a leaflet off them and the next thing they'll be expecting is a cup of tea and a sit down!
I really hate that pushy knocking-on-the-door thing. Its ridiculous. I'm not partial to being pressured into believing in something.

Saying that, I like the Jehovah idea of there being no Hell. I think the Bible is laughable with how it teaches us to 'turn the other cheek' and always forgive those around us...when the it also speaks of people going to Hell blink.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
VVes
post Sep 18 2003, 02:54 PM
Post #15

iHuman

Member No.: 483

I just find that it's amazing how many of those preaching on street corners, tele evangelists, witnesses and such can be so stubborn --and hipocritical at times-- when confronted with a challenge to their faith.

I ask any of them, "Do you honestly think that anyone living on an isolated island that has no idea of judeo-christian beliefs, or teachings is really going to be damned to hell...just because of that mere fact?" The responses are remarkably single-minded and not very well thought out...

..." Because the bible says so"..."It's the word of God"..."we are all sinners and we need to hear his word to be saved!"... I have a personal problem with such statements... not to mention other beliefs against such issues such as homosexuality and others...

...so that said...

--------------------

I live in my own little world, but it's ok they know me here.
Solo pensando en ti Dayan

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 18 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #16

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

And once again I bring out one of my favourite photos that I've taken:

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 18 2003, 03:44 PM
Post #17

It's all so very sad why we can't all just get along. Like if I mention I'm a Pagan/Heathen/Witch they all go mental and tell me I'll burn in hell and I worship the devil. How can I worship something or burn in something I DON'T BELIEVE IN!!!! mad.gif

Idiots! dry.gif

Sorry rant over biggrin.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
trixiedinkins
post Sep 18 2003, 03:55 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 592

i disagree about the Jehovah's Witness thing...i don't think they're pushy and they don't want coffee and to sit down or anything...i used to work at McDonalds back in the day and not only did i work with Jehovah's Witnesses, but they all would come in and stop for a break there while they were door knocking. they're some of the nicest people i've met and they're really open about their religion, they know it's different than any other religion and they accept it and don't feel ashamed (not that anyone is ashamed of their own religion), but they really do know their Bible...i liked having them explain why they don't do things..like celebrate any holidays or their birthday or salute the flag...it's really interesting...

but anyways------>
and i've found when they come to your door, if you tell them that you probably won't read what they give you or you'll just throw it away, and that you have your own religion and are satisfied with it, but thank them for coming or something to that affect, they respect it...and they won't come back

take something from them and they'll come back..

--------------------
i'm on the outside, i'm looking in...i can see through you, see your true colors
inside you're ugly, ugly like me...i can see through you, see to the real you

these are my dreams, but i've never lived before
somebody shake me cuz i, i must be sleeping

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Sep 18 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #19

Engrish Ranguage Student

QUOTE (trixiedinkins @ Sep 18 2003, 04:04 PM)
and i've found when they come to your door, if you tell them that you probably won't read what they give you or you'll just throw it away, and that you have your own religion and are satisfied with it, but thank them for coming or something to that affect, they respect it...and they won't come back

I'm not disagreeing with you. One of my best mates from school was Jehova, and I think they make some really good points about life and I admire their philosphy...I just don't like the door knocking.

I have tried the 'probably won't read what they give you or you'll just throw it away, and that you have your own religion and are satisfied with it, but thank them for coming or something to that affect' but unfortunatly in my experiece, it doesn't work (or at least with the door knockers I've had in the past...although we don't get them where I live now for some reason)

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 18 2003, 04:15 PM
Post #20

They know you live there! laugh.gif

I have never had any problem with the Jehovas that knocked on my door when I lived in my previous house. They always came back and I always said thanks but no thanks. They were respectful of the fact that I had my own path. I like the idea of promoting your religion. What if it's right for someone and they just haven't heard about it. It's all well and good to support your religion and tell others about it. It's when you force others into following your way or condemn them for not mad.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 18 2003, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 18 2003, 04:44 PM)

Pot smokers? That's interesting. I'm sure it doesn't say anything about pot in the Bible. And you can preach all you want, but don't knock masturbation. That's just going too far.

I hardly ever see damnation-and-hellfire preachers. I'd love to though. I can imagine having hours of fun.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Sep 18 2003, 04:55 PM
Post #22

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Oh you lucky, lucky people. I wish I could see some genuine damnation-and-hellfire people. All we get is some happy-clappy women singing in Ilford town centre, and they don't even try to intimidate you. Remember, threatening someone with eternity in Hell is a good way of getting them on your side. Those happy-clappy girls have a long way to go.

+Quote Post
FurryMammal
post Sep 18 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #23

Secret Electric Pants Buffer

Member No.: 559

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Sep 18 2003, 12:00 PM)
My favourites are the Krishnas.  They're just so nice!  They sidle up, ask for a quick chat, try and sell you a couple of magazines, then let you go after a hearty 'Gouranga!'.  Something about them cheers me up a bit - and you can barely turn a corner in certain parts of Manchester without bumping into one.  Hurrah for Hare Krishnas!

Me and my friends have got to know one krishna monk almost personally.

if they offer you a monk rock cd for 6, all i can say is take it. i bought one.

first track is 45 minutes long, its heavy rock with a sledgehammer of a drumbeat.

then from there the titles are something along the lines of 'hear and mosh' 'pray and mosh' 'speak and mosh' and a few moer to that effect. its strangely good.

--------------------
George Bush- the world's worst winner.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Sep 18 2003, 06:21 PM
Post #24

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

All we get is mormons coming to our door and bitching a lot about how christians suck. .-.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Sep 18 2003, 06:24 PM
Post #25

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

On two occasions I was given a partial bible as I left school to get on the bus.
The same portions to boot. All the kids just tore them up. It was a total waste of paper. I still have mine though. I don't read them or anything. I'm not sure why I kept it actually. I wrote all over the second one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:35 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!