Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Effect Of These Boards
LoLo
post Sep 19 2003, 02:34 AM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I was having a conversation about this with Inky in chat and I just thought it deserved a special topic all in itself, in the least to say thank you to Mata for creating this place, and to say thank you to all of you for allowing this place to be what it is.

I've been here for a long time and have seen this happen to people more than just myself, and what that is is people coming to the realization of who they really are. It's happened to me as well.

I personally came here to escape the horror of my life and what was going on at the time with my ex bf in Texas. For you oldschoolers you probably know about this already so the need to reitterate it I think is unnecissary. Those who don't feel free to ask in PMs if you're curious.

Anyways while escaping, I became what in truth I really am. I made many revelations some small and some large just from the ability to talk about things and having the openness and acceptance that has been experienced.

I may sound a little sappy right now, but you all hold a special place in my heart because of this. So again I say thank you all.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Sep 19 2003, 02:44 AM
Post #2

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

Well said there, Laura...

I actually mentioned this to Mata at the meet, in an indirect way. That night, he'd brought 13 other people from around the UK to a pub in Birmingham; since late Feb, he's brought hundreds of people from around the globe together via the internet.

Personally, I found this place whilst scouting for a new forum after the vibe at FFGurus went sour for me. I felt like part of the crowd almost immediately, and the feeling hasn't let up since. I've made some wonderful friends - LoLo being the most long-serving, certainly, but I have to mention Missy (of course...), syuu, debs, Jaq, SPS, Jonman, Fuzzy, even that old lady part leopold, as well as others too numerous to mention. Also those lost to us - NoName4444, Smallsam, and the much-missed IRC presence of Crissi and Cand...

Also, a mention to my extra-special n00b, Hyperion. So glad you settled in here, Tink. Those bastards at FFG don't know what they're missing... wink.gif

In short - yay for the forums!!!

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Sep 19 2003, 02:48 AM
Post #3

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

It's true.

Some of my very closest friends are here simply because of Mata's art -- and I have to say thanks again. You can't put a price on providing that sort of connection for us, Mata. Most of the people here came to escape something from their lives and found the perfect place to be understood and loved. It's something that's rare and amazing, and it's one of the many, many reasons we all adore you so much. You took time to answer all of my PMs and everyone else's without getting annoyed, I don't know how you juggle it all. But it really, really is deeply appreciated. These boards are a lot more than boards, they're connections, comforts, understandings, friendships, landmarks.. everything like a family. Thank you.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Sep 19 2003, 05:04 AM
Post #4

I post more than I speak

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 116

i know exactly what you mean... i consider myself a MUCH different person from the time i joined, to the current, and in many ways, mentally, emotionally, and you could even say spiritually, in a way. hell, i doubt i would be alive if it werent for this place. at first, i was just amazed that such weird funny little animations brought in such mature intelligent people, and now, i just sorta expect such people to come here. at first i was coming here to get my mind away from my life, just for random spamming and cheering myself up, but now i come here because some of my, hell, my best friends are here, people i can connect with, people that understand me, and people that actually care for me. i could not begin to thank mata enough for creating this wonderful universe away from our own, and i hope he knows how eternally thankful i am.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Logicman_*
post Sep 19 2003, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Guests

You know, it's odd... before I joined, I was always negative and angry, and in short totally screwed up. This is due in large part to several mental disabilities of mine, but also because I had no friends, nothing to laugh about, no one to talk to... then I found the forum, and now, for some odd reason, I'm cheerful and upbeat. And I have friends. All of you, of course, but also some real ones now... I think I'd probly be a lot worse off if this forum didn't exist, so thanks Mata, I think you helped more than the three years of counseling did.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 19 2003, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

I recall talking to Mata about this at the meet. I can say without reservation that the forum is the best community I've ever been a part of, internet or otherwise. I have a special affection for everyone on it - there's nowhere quite like Matazone.

Thank you. All of you.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Sep 19 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #7

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

I know when I came here, I certainly wasn't expecting to make so many friends in the time I have been going to this site. The animations brought us together, but our hearts minds and souls remained open enough so we could make friendships and bonds that will last forever. I have like so many people on my yahoo from this place lol. I always knew the closest of friends are the one's to me that are far away, the irony behind that. I want to thank you all for letting me open up and show off my heart, my dreams and me. I love you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prince Aries
post Sep 20 2003, 03:51 AM
Post #8

Ai Ravana-hime

Group: New Members
Member No.: 421

I would of course like to thank Mata for doing what he does best. Truly a wonderful thing. Also want to thank you, Lo-baby, for bring this topic up. I feel the same way as some people....I didn't come here really expecting anything except a mindless diversion from what was going on in my life. It started off as just simple fun but the more and more I got to know people, the more and more I got hooked. I see it already: Requiem for a Dream 2: Matazone laugh.gif

I dont think I fully understood how important the people and the place was to me until it was so abruptly taken away from me recently. And as soon as I was back......I felt it again. Just warm and fuzzy. I never thought I would be here today where I am if I hadnt been on these forums. I'm going on a fabulous trip with my Narthie-poo to the UK here soon to hopefully meet some of you fine people and antagonize Commie as well. I've made so many amazing friends its hard to keep track. My only regret is that these friendships couldnt have been in real life because if they were.....just...wow. Everyone is just so lovely and amazing I almost dont know what to do...I feel so......overwhelmed by it all so many times. I keep thinking I want to name names and thank people for things, but it just doesnt work. There's too many. Just go look at the active members list and you'll get a good idea happy.gif

Besides.....the forums gives Aries a place to let his hormones run rampant and thats always a good thing laugh.gif

I love you guys so much. *raises glass of soda* To the people of the Matazone forums. To many more great times, to many more talks and understandings....to Meets and to going on holiday. And to rampant sexuality. Cheers people.

--------------------
Pimping Lolo and ridin' teh Trout since 2003. Dominated by Tigersong, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Edward_lover1200
post Sep 20 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #9

The Mad Hatter

Member No.: 395

After reading this I have nothing to put in...I feel the same way as most of you...with out the forum I might be even more F***ed up then I already am smile.gif so I thank you mata...and all you...I guess for just being friends..and a source for humor..*hugs everyone* *happy tears in eyes* biggrin.gif

--------------------
We're all mad here

+Quote Post
leopold
post Sep 21 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #10

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Sep 19 2003, 02:53 AM)
even that old lady part leopold

Gee, inkles, I never knew you cared!! wink.gif laugh.gif

I joined the forums after much wandering around to provide relief from what I thought was the main thing bugging me in RL. I'd always loved watching the anims, and when I noticed the forum (about two weeks old by then) I joined up and started to post. After a while it became apparent that being here was more preferable to being in RL - people were fun, caring and supportive, and helped me overcome the more trivial bothers of life, while allowing me to concentrate on dealing with the bigger issue. Or in this case, hiding from it altogether.

I've made some great friends on here, and I'm glad to know each and every one of you.

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 21 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

This place has definitely changed my life in that I have found a group of really amazing friends that I now don't know what I'd do without. Not gonna name all of you, cause I don't wanna risk leaving anyone out, but I think you know who you are, regardless.

I have my RL friends too, and they're great, but I often feel that I can talk more openly with people on here. Maybe it's because it's the Internet, and so it's slightly anonymous, but I think it's just because of the sort of people you are. smile.gif

Like my signature says, you all are the most uplifting thing in my life without underwire. happy.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Sep 21 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

i've been meaning to post in this thread for a good while, but i keep thinking that i won't be able to say anything without just regurgitating what everyone else has said...ah well, here goes...

i've relied on the people on these boards for ages. even when i pretty much FORCED myself to quit due to problems i've had, both within and out of my control, i couldn't...you guys are just WAY too good...this is, quite possibly, the greatest place i've ever been...i swear, if i knew the lot of you in real life i'd be one happy f--ker...gah, this is so damn difficult to translate by text...

i'm glad i found this place...really i am...

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:05 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!