Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fred
post Oct 14 2003, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 621

I'n taking it that townie is the same as ned. seems 2 b as far as ive seen before
townie is someone who listens 2 dance, hip hop etc, drives fast cars, wears Burberry, drives fast cars, and has a slight tendancy 2 be bothered about being cool in fashion etc. when theyre real neds theyre quite often thugs. ask neone from glasgow. they tend 2 think neone who wears so much as a pair of baggies sand has black hair is a "GOTH" and sometimes will beat ppl up just 4 that. one of my m8s hate his nose broken, and he ISNT a goth.
goth, someone who wears a lot of black and red and listens 2 death metal. hmm, Technically correct only. a REAL true goth is someone taking a walk on the dark side, possibly dabbling in satanism, possibly dabbling in drugs. hate townies.
skater. mostly but not always they skate. baggie trousers, punk music, mohiccans, also hate neds (sorry but most ppl do)
u forgot punks! need no explanation but they rock... sorry...
punk, goth, skater, rocker grunger all come under heading of Mosher.... personally i hate neds, like moshers, but dont actually like labels. i get called a punk or goth or mosher regularly prefer just 2 b MESELF... thats just personal opnion tho. ah well.
(oh yeah and Marilyn Manson isnt PROPER goth. hes mainstream. emporer is goth)
well there ya go

--------------------
May The Good People Get Much Shiny
I'm a victim... aren't we all?
Spot The Drama Student
The Evil Empire's very own Miss Pointy Things

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 14 2003, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Fred @ Oct 14 2003, 10:16 PM)
goth, someone who wears a lot of black and red and listens 2 death metal. hmm, Technically correct only. a REAL true goth is someone taking a walk on the dark side, possibly dabbling in satanism, possibly dabbling in drugs. hate townies.
skater. mostly but not always they skate. baggie trousers, punk music, mohiccans, also hate neds (sorry but most ppl do)
[...]
(oh yeah and Marilyn Manson isnt PROPER goth. hes mainstream. emporer is goth)
well there ya go

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Goths do not listen to death metal. Well, some might, but death metal has nothing to do with goth. Goths listen to goth music. It's a genre.
Some goth bands:

The Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
Christian Death (technically deathrock, but comes under the umbrella)
Siouxsie and the Banshees

Listen to any of these. Not even remotely connected to metal of any description, let alone death metal.
Baggy trousers are NOT goth. Goths are far more likely to wear skirts than baggy trousers. Little kids who listen to nu-metal wear baggy trousers.
Mohicans are a punk hairstyle. Some goths may wear them, since goth and punk are closely related, but they're not goth.
Satanist goths exist, but are very rare. Satanism is much more common in black/death metal circles. Most of the goths I know are atheists or agnostics (many are Wiccans or other pagan).
I do not know a single goth that skates. While I'm sure there are a few that do, it's a very strange mental picture. Skating is hard in big clumpy boots.
Goths generally don't hate "townies" or "skaters". As a subculture, it's pretty much totally free of prejudice. Everyone is judged on an individual basis.
"Goth" does not come under the heading of "mosher". You cannot mosh to goth music.
Emperor is not goth music. At all. It's black metal. Completely and utterly different. Chalk and cheese.
Well, that just about covers your part about goths. Learn what goth is before you comment on it in future, please.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Oct 15 2003, 10:07 AM
Post #4

FUEGO!

Member No.: 386

I'd say most death metal bands have borrowed a lot from gothic bands, especially the cure. Oh and saying that goth is completely free of prejudice made me laugh so much... That's the ideal but it's definately not the reality.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 15 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Alanity @ Oct 15 2003, 11:16 AM)
I'd say most death metal bands have borrowed a lot from gothic bands, especially the cure.

*listens to Cannibal Corpse*

*listens to The Cure*

Riiiiight...

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Oct 15 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #6

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 408

well it might just be a illinois thing, but townies are people that never leave for collage and they just stick around town all day and never do anything

i dont really have opinoin of what goth is, im not a goth and i have freinds that are that claim many many diffrent things, altho ive been called one because i listen to alot of drain sth, kitty, and wrackets and drapes but i dont really know ive never treally gotten into it i dont really fit into any groupe

a skater is somone that skateboards, alot

yeah thats it

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Mingtea
post Oct 15 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Lanky Mofo

Member No.: 403

Who cares?

--------------------
CODE
</geek>

MultiplayUK - Great LAN parties, attend today :)

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 15 2003, 02:40 PM
Post #8

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Yeah, who really cares? I have no idea why anyone would beat someone up for wearing different clothes. I mean, I can just about comprehend racist attacks, but goth vs townie? Really, it makes one wonder.

And Commie, you're forgetting that Goth, like all subcultures, has a tweenage following that wishes it were cool.

+Quote Post
elf
post Oct 15 2003, 03:22 PM
Post #9

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

Bah. People call me a goth at school, although I know I'm not. I listen to metal. I wear black, color my nails black, but other than that I'm really normal. (Other than I hate shopping, unless it's for books.) *shrug* All the labels, "goth" and "punk" have been distorted so many times over the years that it has no definite definition anymore. And Hot Topic is no longer for outsiders either. *glares at the giggly popular girls that have seem to invaded her local Hot Topic* I can't stand to be in that store anymore sleep.gif;

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 15 2003, 04:15 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Oct 15 2003, 03:49 PM)
And Commie, you're forgetting that Goth, like all subcultures, has a tweenage following that wishes it were cool.

And how I curse them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SteelWingedCheru...
post Oct 15 2003, 06:59 PM
Post #11

"in revolution one wins or dies"

Member No.: 523

I reckon you should just type in those names on google or something read a little about them and make your own mind up on what they mean, because your just going to get personal interpretations here

--------------------
Remember, only left-handed people are in their right minds! haha! not funny

+Quote Post
Fred
post Oct 15 2003, 08:10 PM
Post #12

Super advanced member

Member No.: 621

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 14 2003, 09:27 PM)
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Mohicans are a punk hairstyle. Some goths may wear them, since goth and punk are closely related, but they're not goth.
Satanist goths exist, but are very rare. Satanism is much more common in black/death metal circles. Most of the goths I know are atheists or agnostics (many are Wiccans or other pagan).
I do not know a single goth that skates. While I'm sure there are a few that do, it's a very strange mental picture. Skating is hard in big clumpy boots.
Goths generally don't hate "townies" or "skaters". As a subculture, it's pretty much totally free of prejudice. Everyone is judged on an individual basis.
"Goth" does not come under the heading of "mosher". You cannot mosh to goth music.
Well, that just about covers your part about goths. Learn what goth is before you comment on it in future, please.

ok ok... someone wants 2 get technical.
there is no such thing as a goth. its what people CALL themselves. therefore if enough people who no somethin about it agree that u r a goth, u r one.
but thats the philosphy bit over with
actually im not arguing with u here, im sayin we're both right. there are many many KINDS of goth. i was describing the common garden or mosher goth. the most common sort then thres Classic goths. think thats what u were talking about. then u have high goths. witch goths. not-proper-goth goths. the ones that no one else will agree are goths. (which they reckon begs the question Says Who?) there are, 2 b honest, lots, half of which id be the first person 2 admit ive probly not eard of. and as the philosophy bit is actually true i hate it when people say "well youre not REALLY a goth"
erm, i actually didnt say goths have mohiccans... or skate... reread my post maybe?
2 b honest i was skimming the surface there, and i have HEAPS of friends who are goths so i know what goths say about themselves, nuthin more, nuthin less.
actaully Classic goths are coolest in my book. but only cause they dress prettiest... uh... anyway. yeah guess im agreeing with you. and yeah, they dont ALL hate townies... sorry... thats me and my friends personal prejudice cause we're in physical danger from them regularly.
and yeah some goths DO listen 2 emporer. and they DO mosh. im sorry this is purely personal experience talking... but lets face it, your idea of goth will have someone harder and darker than IT thats says THEY arent goth. theres is always someone. maybe u happen 2 b someone who knows what they were originally but so what things change and become different. my main question would be how do you KNOW youre the ultimate? when if you think it rthough there sint one... its a NAME that nobody knows what its for
i wouldnt have sed goth and punk r that close actually... goths bin aroudn longer 2 start with and is less mutatable and rebellious... but never mind i cud b wrong.
i expect we just arent goin 2 agree there are different kinds whatever i say... but i do not deny that your right just that im not wrong.
so WHO DECIDES WHOS GOTH AND WHO ISNT?
i hate labels anyway.. they all suck and are about pretending 2 b somethin your not 2 b cool... why did i even answer this thread?
(meh... word goth has lost all meaning for mind now... bleh *pulls at tongue but it still feels funny*... goth... gth...gooo...gothho... blerggh)

--------------------
May The Good People Get Much Shiny
I'm a victim... aren't we all?
Spot The Drama Student
The Evil Empire's very own Miss Pointy Things

+Quote Post
Sinewmire
post Oct 16 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 648

(that's a "thinking" smilie, not an angry one.)

I'm not sure there's a right and wrong reply to this. I mean, TRUE goths are members of the Germanic Tribe, famed for Alaric the Visigoth, who were alive at the same time as the Roman empire.

I am called a goth, and I think of myself as a goth. I have a t-shirt with "goth" written on it: why would my t-shirt lie?

Seriously, I like to think of myself as a goth, but I listen to death/black/heavy metal, and think a bit more about things than is probably good for me.

Yeah, I wear black. ALL black, but that doesn't define you. I hate "townies", or most of 'em but that's because most of 'em they hate me. Ideally, yeah, everyone is measured singly (my best friend is a "trendy") but it's all too easy to find "Goth-cliques" who, as Mrs Anne Rice said of vampires, "make a conformist's club of eternity" and are generally unpleasant to anyone who is not them. And end up being Townies with a better dress sense. I call them "anti-townies" so "different" that they're the same.

Hope that helps.
Sinewmire.

--------------------
Gothic Towers tottered on her heels as she fled asylum grounds
Comitting hard crimes in soft cells where now another's screams resound...

+Quote Post
lygophilia
post Oct 16 2003, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Wanted: Meaningful Overnight Relationship

Member No.: 634

yes, TRUE goths were members of a Germanic Tribe...but as for labels...

Just wearing a lot of black, listening to Gothic music (as said before is Bauhaus/Sisters of Mercy...not metal), being interested in death and vampires doesn't make you goth.Yes we tend to be more...morbid (as we might be called) than others...but just cause you're goth, doesn't mean you do drugs, listen to Marilyn Manson (he's not goth, he's more of a shock-rocker), worship the devil or are a Satanist (worshipping the devil and Satanists are two different things. Satanists follow the Church of Satan...look it up if you want to know more). You can follow any religion to be goth. It's not about religion. All those are stereotypes. The Columbine shootings screwed things for goths even more. The students were wrongly perceived as goth, listening to Marilyn Manson and wearing dark trench coats. Manson was apponited reveron(sp?) by the founder of the Church of Satan, Anton Levey(sp?). However Manson is not a Satanist. Through that Satanic connection, the stereotype was spread. Goth is about expressing yourself in creative ways...individuality... however it's becoming more mainstream, so you find more people claiming to be goth. Ugh! Can not wait til it's over!...hopefully that will happen soon unsure.gif All those preppy kids invading... mad.gif tongue.gif

Commie Bastard is very correct...but as also said: you can hardly define it...everyone has a different perception on what it is. The term "goth" was first used (as a label -- not on the Germanic tribe) to describe a band (I believe it was Bauhaus, but not positive) in 1979 - that's when goth started. ...oh, also you can like other kinds of music, etc and be goth. People that want to be gothjust to be different or to shock people, who reject anything remotely mainstream just b/c it is [mainstream] annoy the hell outta me!

...not sure if i'll be coming back to this one, so if you wanna say something, PM me.

--------------------
Blog Site DeviantArt
Don't give me that kinkier-than-thou attitude!
If you are feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.
Prejudice is wrong; you should hate everyone the same!
We are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse.
Get your mind out of the gutter, you're blocking my periscope!
Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the leather straps.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me!
People say that everyone has a few skeletons in their closet, but I don't. Not yet anyway. The bodies are still decomposing.
We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there!

+Quote Post
Stray
post Oct 18 2003, 02:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

From: hm... if it really meens that much to you, 3 yards away from freaks and smarties.
Member No.: 468

ok, i am goth. meening that i wear black, bla bla bla... ya, but goths don't worship the devil, if they even believed in the devil then they would have to believein god. most goths are religiose and praise god. (i don't tho) most of the people that become goth are the more intellegent people who want to try something new. thats why some people think that goths are "freakishly" smart. There for making the mythe that all goths join chess clubs((he he he......that sounded smart!)). i am just a.........stupid.. goth. meaning, not the full goth... i'm more punk in a goth way you could say. but thats besides the point. people are just afraid of people who look strange. thats where all the "facts" come from.
At school these kids were teasing me about dressing in black and stuff, and calling me a vampire, but, i take those the right way and take them as compliments. he he he....those kids were nerds...he he he... and a townie....can't explain them...

--------------------
I don't know who you are, or where you came from.
And you call your self... a summoner?
You shouldn't have brought him here in the first place!
Wakka is a bit weak in the imagination department
-Lulu from FFX
Lulu and her voice
BOW DOWN BEFORE YOUR MIGHTY QUEEN STRAY!!
Minion world thread Minion world Web page

+Quote Post
Xandra the Blue
post Oct 19 2003, 09:57 AM
Post #16

Super advanced member

Member No.: 504

Townies are also called Shazza (at least where I live) and as far as I know, tend to come from the more run down parts of England, a sort of british 'gangsta' type. Most of the Townies I know (or knew, thank god) tended to be agressive, have little store in inteligence, even being envious of it in my case. Well, maybe not envious, more wanting to have the cake without baking it. They were sport brand clothing and listen to hip-hop, rap and manufactored bands. (at least in my experience)

Thats my two pennies on the subject. I know many people will disagree on my interpritation, but hey, this is what the Townies in my area are like! And for some reason, when they pick their person to have a problem with, they usually pick me....maybe its because I'm a non denominational(i'm not a goth, I'm not a punk, I'm not anything, except maybe an idealist). Or the fact that I'm a pasifist, except the occasional reasonable force.

(gets ready for the flames of generalisation)

--------------------
wanna read something odd? Visit My Little Twisted Mind

Smart alecs caught trespassing on my land will be shot. Very painfully.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Oct 19 2003, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

QUOTE (Mingtea @ Oct 15 2003, 01:26 PM)
Who cares?

Because some people get bloody violent about it!
I don't know about you, but I savour not getting the crap kicked out of me for listening to the music I like!

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Mingtea
post Oct 19 2003, 09:05 PM
Post #18

Lanky Mofo

Member No.: 403

and those are the real people we classify.

"Scum sucking pondlife"

--------------------
CODE
</geek>

MultiplayUK - Great LAN parties, attend today :)

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Oct 19 2003, 09:18 PM
Post #19

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

i'm confused by this, i listen to most kinds of rock, i wear flares (not those leg skirts mind tongue.gif) but i don't own a skateboard, i wear dark clothes (but not black) and i go out to clubs like creation and evolution (mostly populated by townies)

i must be some sorta hybrid bred in a lab somewhere....or i just havn't found friends i can go to places like costers with... unsure.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
laenan kite
post Oct 9 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #20

You can't understand...

Member No.: 1,347

[quote=Stray,Oct 18 2003, 03:45 PM]
ok, i am goth. meening that i wear black.[QUOTE]

being a goth aint just about blak.thats just a townie interpretation

--------------------
In the end, only kindness matters.

And I dont wanna fall in love; this world is always gonna break your heart.

+Quote Post
Forever Unknown
post Oct 9 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Microwave your children

Member No.: 1,164

Labelling is fun!

No, really, it is.

I find that, at the end of the day, in either group you get your bunch of arses and your nice people. I've heard the 'alternatives' shout abuse at the 'townies', and vice versa. Just people being people. I used to get abusive (?)shouts of "GOFFIC" and "MARILYN MANSON" while I wandered around. I used to also get people shout "GREEN DAY!" abusively (?) at me. Damn, that was confusing... But I don't think naming bands and different types of architecture are really that upsetting. I shouted "ROMAN COLUMNS!" in response once, but I got little except strange looks.

Now, I'm oblivious. I always walk around listening to music.

But, they're just people. Just people who dress differently. I don't think there's much difference in choosing to wear Adidas and choosing to wear DMs or New Rocks. Both fashion fads, both bloomin' expensive, both adhering to a certain subculture. Purely a matter of taste, comfort and style. A lot of people think "If you dress like X, you listen to Y". I've never quite understood it.

--------------------
Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All bastard.

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Oct 9 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #22

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

Welll your idea of this Ned doesn't seem right for the great old English chav (townie). They are the sort of people who wear Nike trainers, Nike tracksuits, Nike tee-shirts and a Nike baseball cap. They generally walk around town smoking and spitting.

And Skaters are people who think that Greenday and Avril is "THE REAL ORIGINAL PUNK! PUNK IS NOT DEAD!"

Lies.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Oct 9 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #23

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I can't believe you just said Greenday and Avril in the same sentence.

/spam

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
lygophilia
post Oct 9 2004, 08:23 PM
Post #24

Wanted: Meaningful Overnight Relationship

Member No.: 634

QUOTE (Mutilation @ Oct 9 2004, 11:48 AM)
And Skaters are people who think that Greenday and Avril is "THE REAL ORIGINAL PUNK! PUNK IS NOT DEAD!"

Lies.

I wouldn't say that skaters think those bands are the 'original' punk, but they might think they *are* punk. Eesh, imagine if they *were* the original punk (aka: punk never existing before...Avril. *shivers*). *gasp* There might not be any goths(!) since goth evolved from punk...the monochromatic punks became 'goths'...then there's also the new romantic kind of goth. ...not to mention the many, many genres of goth that we have today (talking about the dressing part of goth, obviously). I once read a list on a site that had 175 different types of goth. I think it should be generalized into...less than 10 genres...which I'll list because I'm bored. rolleyes.gif

PUNK GOTH: spikes, mohawks, safety pins, torn clothes, pyramid cuffs/belts, etc.
FETISH GOTH: PVC, leather, vinyl, rubber, latex, stiletto heels, thigh high boots, corsets, fishnet, chains, etc. Way into bondage and dominatrix girls.
ROMANCE GOTH: Renaissance, Victorian, Edwardian Era clothing. Velvet, corsets. Poet shirts for guys.
LOLITA: dress up like little girls, often in Victorian Era, but much sexier. Popular in Japan.
RAVER GOTH: Glow-in-the-dark...everything.
GLITTER/FAERIE GOTH: Guess... Glam, glitter, etc. Even color.
PAGAN GOTH: Celtic and Pagan symbols, etc. Cloaks and Celtic robes.
VAMPIRE GOTH: enough said. (if you want to call it goth...)

I think the first 5 or so are the big ones... So...I just went off into my own thing, didn't I? wink.gif

--------------------
Blog Site DeviantArt
Don't give me that kinkier-than-thou attitude!
If you are feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.
Prejudice is wrong; you should hate everyone the same!
We are born naked, wet, and hungry, then things get worse.
Get your mind out of the gutter, you're blocking my periscope!
Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the leather straps.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me!
People say that everyone has a few skeletons in their closet, but I don't. Not yet anyway. The bodies are still decomposing.
We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there!

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Oct 10 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #25

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Cath's fashion time line:- Original Punk!!! 1978 (as in the proper anarchy style punk as in The Sex Pistols (and yes I know they were a put together to make money), and pogoing and spitting none of this wossy Green Day (and before I get jumped on for this comment I dont mind Green Day styly stuff) which then led to the New Romantic's early 80's (all fops and flounces, Adam Ant and Duran Duran ), which the Goth's then evolved out of by basically going for a similar style to the New Romantics but in Black and dark colours and a much darker style of music (Sisters of Mercy and Siouxsie and the Banshees who were two of the Original Goth band cause Siouxsie and the Banshees was originaly a Punk band)
But all 3 ARE pretty interlinked cause they evolved from each other and as others have said Goth then has evolved into sub groups. But these sub groups did originally come from the Classic Goth style with the lacy shirts and big hair. The majority of the sub groups are quite reasont but are by no means a bad thing cause it means Goth is still with and still has Life in it cause for a while there in he 90's it look as if it was going to fizzle out.
This Time Line was brought to you by Cath (the sad old Goth) who has done way to much research in to it for college and Uni papers!

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 01:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!