IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Sad Ratio Of Noobs To Members, A Dismal Tale, A Dismal Question.
Hyperion
post Oct 20 2003, 01:17 AM
Post #1

samazon

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 234

I must ask. . .

What makes them go?

So many sign up and post once, twice, thrice, then no more.
Where do they go? Are they with that sock that the dryer ate? Or do they rest with the last tube of Toaster Pastrie frosting that disappeared into the freezer, leaving you with only the pastry and no delicious sweet white cream?

Why, I ask, Why?

--------------------
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys. I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel? Ginsberg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Starfish
post Oct 20 2003, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 655

I never leave you Hyperion! biggrin.gif

You saved from the dark, cold, lonely world of n00bdom. For that I will alway whorship your right pant leg.

blink.gif

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. Then it's a new game of find the eye. I like that game.

Hyperion's n00b, Elf's Step-n00b

+Quote Post
Edward_lover1200
post Oct 20 2003, 07:23 PM
Post #3

The Mad Hatter

Member No.: 395

lol I think they post...We scare them..they leave lol...

--------------------
We're all mad here

+Quote Post
acidteardrop
post Oct 20 2003, 08:17 PM
Post #4

Nobody Expects - THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Member No.: 649

ya know, if you go into the most posters list dilly and go to the last page..its a little scary.

there are 67 pages total...and the one that starts having regular posters are around 28ish i think...distubing, no?

*convulsive shudder*

--------------------
im now sextastically married to krys (magikeyes)! i love you so so so so soooooo much!///im engaged to liz(edward_lover)!///I LOVE YOU BOTH!!///I am Missy's slave! yay me!///Krys is my loving girlfriend...i love you infathomably with all my heart, mind, body, soul!///killersquirrel is my first noob ever ^_^///Trina(Spiffy) is me ickle sis! ^_^ /me wuvs trina///Shelly(werewolf) is my older sister! be nice! :P///I am engaged to VVes!///Mina(deaq) is me new n00bie! I LOVE YOU, MIAN!///i have three more n00bies; baldricks gherkinator. they are Jen, David, and Sebastian///Jen must be kept away from microwaves at all times. David must be kept near Jen permanently. Sebastian must not be fed peanuts...he prefers walnuts....
YAY FOR POLYGOMY! YAY FOR YOU ACTUALLY BEING BORED ENOUGH TO ENLARGE ALL OF THIS!

/\_/\ (\ _ /} i would cry but my tears have been stolen
(^.^ ) (='.'=) i would scream but my voice has been taken
(U U ) .(")_(") thus i write.
(''')(''')
kitty attributed to Tigerlily PM me if you are reading ths, i have something to tell you
BI PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.webpost.net/ac/acidteardrop/all...ebelongtous.JPG (sorry, that picture's way too big -Commie)

+Quote Post
Edward_lover1200
post Oct 20 2003, 08:22 PM
Post #5

The Mad Hatter

Member No.: 395

that's very sad...*shudder* very very...I dont see why people sign up...then only post once or twice...cause this is the coolest place ever! I love it here...it's my life..

--------------------
We're all mad here

+Quote Post
prezgfish
post Oct 22 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #6

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

also some people post like 3000 times than just leave and never come back whats with that

but as for the NOOBIES many just go on for a look around and find out that this is not what there looking for

as this place is very different from most message boards

as it has more in common with a chat room sometimes

so there my two cents

and now i'm poor

information costs to much in the modern age

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Oct 22 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #7

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

i have to add that sometimes, cause i never get online to come here, seeing you all so close-knit can scare me, like im a noob alll over again...maybe thats what they run away for, because they think they wont be able to know everyone etc??
i dunno. just my humble addition.

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 22 2003, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

This place is indeed very cool, but sometimes it can feel very clique-ish (and it's pronounced "cleek", not "click"! It's French dammit! FRENCH!!!). Maybe they feel it would be too much hard work/too much of their boss's time to try and get "in" here. I'm not too worried, I like the elitism - it makes us stronger, as the MataVolk should be!

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Oct 22 2003, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I post, but not constantly because I travel alot. LOL yes I am new and LOL you guys are too much like me to scare me - the only thing that scares me is how alike yet different we all are tongue.gif

ph34r.gif never be a ninja

pirates are forever

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
VVes
post Oct 22 2003, 05:07 PM
Post #10

iHuman

Member No.: 483

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Oct 22 2003, 08:44 AM)
This place is indeed very cool, but sometimes it can feel very clique-ish (and it's pronounced "cleek", not "click"! It's French dammit! FRENCH!!!). Maybe they feel it would be too much hard work/too much of their boss's time to try and get "in" here. I'm not too worried, I like the elitism - it makes us stronger, as the MataVolk should be!

Ishh thishh a good thang??? wink.gif

Clique on then !!!

--------------------

I live in my own little world, but it's ok they know me here.
Solo pensando en ti Dayan

+Quote Post
acidteardrop
post Oct 22 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #11

Nobody Expects - THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Member No.: 649

psh, pirates are not nice, and ninjas arent either. ronins will continue foreva! samurai all died cos there is no daimyo to serve anymore...HAHA! and ninjas are all but extinct. pirates are all now sitting at their comps dling musik. the old ways are still nkown and somehweres taught, thus "samurai" in this modern day are all ronins. Ronin forever!

now i forgot why i posted in the first place.

--------------------
im now sextastically married to krys (magikeyes)! i love you so so so so soooooo much!///im engaged to liz(edward_lover)!///I LOVE YOU BOTH!!///I am Missy's slave! yay me!///Krys is my loving girlfriend...i love you infathomably with all my heart, mind, body, soul!///killersquirrel is my first noob ever ^_^///Trina(Spiffy) is me ickle sis! ^_^ /me wuvs trina///Shelly(werewolf) is my older sister! be nice! :P///I am engaged to VVes!///Mina(deaq) is me new n00bie! I LOVE YOU, MIAN!///i have three more n00bies; baldricks gherkinator. they are Jen, David, and Sebastian///Jen must be kept away from microwaves at all times. David must be kept near Jen permanently. Sebastian must not be fed peanuts...he prefers walnuts....
YAY FOR POLYGOMY! YAY FOR YOU ACTUALLY BEING BORED ENOUGH TO ENLARGE ALL OF THIS!

/\_/\ (\ _ /} i would cry but my tears have been stolen
(^.^ ) (='.'=) i would scream but my voice has been taken
(U U ) .(")_(") thus i write.
(''')(''')
kitty attributed to Tigerlily PM me if you are reading ths, i have something to tell you
BI PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.webpost.net/ac/acidteardrop/all...ebelongtous.JPG (sorry, that picture's way too big -Commie)

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Oct 22 2003, 07:44 PM
Post #12

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

Its not Clique-ness...its people being friends dry.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
elf
post Oct 23 2003, 03:34 PM
Post #13

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

QUOTE (Edward_lover1200 @ Oct 20 2003, 12:32 PM)
lol I think they post...We scare them..they leave lol...

yeah, i think that's what happens too... *sigh* where is gothic angel?!

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
SteelWingedCheru...
post Oct 23 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #14

"in revolution one wins or dies"

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Oct 22 2003, 02:40 PM)
seeing you all so close-knit can scare me, like im a noob alll over again...maybe thats what they run away for, because they think they wont be able to know everyone etc??

That’s where the problem lies. It is too much hard work to try and fit in if friendships have already formed it tends to put people of, its like school all over again if you know what I mean
there we are that’s my opinion

--------------------
Remember, only left-handed people are in their right minds! haha! not funny

+Quote Post
phoenix
post Oct 23 2003, 07:01 PM
Post #15

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Member No.: 252

i didn't know anyone on here when i joined, well oni but he doesn't count (j'k don't jump down me throat for that hehe) i thouhgt it was very welcoming, and friendly. they probably join and forgot that they did, or they joined just because they were bored. quite possibly they have 'real lives', what ever that is and they don't live on the internet like i do (i would say we, but you know). who knows.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
Skiz
post Oct 23 2003, 08:54 PM
Post #16

Super advanced member

Member No.: 394

I came, lost my internet for a few months after moving to uni, and am now back. Unfortunatly for you. Soemtimes n00bs stay, sometimes the go. You dont bite, well at least you didnt me.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
phoenix
post Oct 24 2003, 05:31 AM
Post #17

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Member No.: 252

wb skiz

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Oct 24 2003, 09:53 AM
Post #18

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

QUOTE (SteelWingedCherub @ Oct 23 2003, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Oct 22 2003, 02:40 PM)
seeing you all so close-knit can scare me, like im a noob alll over again...maybe thats what they run away for, because they think they wont be able to know everyone etc??

That’s where the problem lies. It is too much hard work to try and fit in if friendships have already formed it tends to put people of, its like school all over again if you know what I mean
there we are that’s my opinion

sure, that was my point, but i agree with phoenix, when i registered i forgot to come on here for about 3 months i think!
failing that, i reckon that they get eaten my small round and polka-dotted chickens who use their legs to make ladders ph34r.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Skiz
post Oct 24 2003, 07:13 PM
Post #19

Super advanced member

Member No.: 394

cheers pheonix. does my prolonged absence after shorty time here to start with mean and immeadiatly back down to tru n00b instead of sorta-n00b rating? ???

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
VVes
post Oct 26 2003, 05:58 PM
Post #20

iHuman

Member No.: 483

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Oct 22 2003, 01:53 PM)
Its not Clique-ness...its people being friends dry.gif

Yes, this is basically true, Weej. But, sometimes the intricacies and nuances of the freindships take on a life of their own and all it's memebers are in such a state of mind that it's almost telepathic, I'm comparing it to my real life "group" here, and that very nature makes it somewhat intimidating to most new people that want to try and jump into this stream.

The fear of being washed to shore is overwhelming at times. I am not saying that the new people are getting intimidated into a corner purposely, but sometimes it's hard to break into the inside jokes and such things the "group" have and sometimes the fear of beng ridiculed or worse, ignored, can be a thing most new people don't want to experience.

The need to belong is natural, but sometimes the hive is to loud and abuzzz for new members that aren't born from within. (People that you know in real life that join)

Take me for example, the only people I "know" Are Crissi and Lolo (well sorta, Lo intimidates me, tongue.gif )

I have made some new friends and relations, but out of the group that was here and that have introduced people they already know to join, sometimes I just look and walk away and not even try, for obvious reasons.

It's odd, and I know that this generally not the case (amongst noobs), but I think I had the need to share this, and hence why I sometimes use my goofiness randomly to interject here and there where I can.

:: Ok, off I go to the real world ... hugss & what-not's to all !!! ::

--------------------

I live in my own little world, but it's ok they know me here.
Solo pensando en ti Dayan

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Oct 26 2003, 06:17 PM
Post #21

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (VVes @ Oct 26 2003, 10:07 AM)
Take me for example, the only people I "know" Are Crissi and Lolo (well sorta, Lo intimidates me, tongue.gif )

Hey I never knew I intimidated you VVes. Very interesting.

I know I've complained about the cliquenish before, because yes sometimes it is highly irritating to try and break into pre-formed friendships, or have to wait on the side lines until one of your friends is done talking to their other friends to make time to talk to you.

The thing is that friendships happen. There's nothing really that can be done about that. And yes it is very intimidating to come in and try to break into groups of friends that are pre-existant. Thing is anytime you come into a new environment, be it real life or online life, you're going to have to deal with this. You just have to keep trying and not give up.

I've been to a lot of various places, and it was easier to make friends when I had an "in". However my better friendships have been those formed where I had no "in" and I had to make the friendships myself.

I guess people can look at it this way. You can either stick it out and try and make friends and use this place as maybe a place to practice these skills for other places, or you can not do that.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:27 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!