Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Commie Plan His Trip
CommieBastard
post Oct 29 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Right. So next summer, my dad and I (and possibly my sister) will (probably - we're not very good at planning, as a family) be going on a much-anticipated round-the-world trip! It'll last anywhere between a month and six weeks, and thus far on the itinerary we have Singapore, Japan and of course the US of A. But where in the US? And where else should I go? And how long should I stay in each place? My indecisiveness haunts me. Help me plan!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 29 2003, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 505

I suggest you don't plan at all, and just bum across south-east Asia for two years, living off the pitiful wages that you earn from picking rice.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Oct 29 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

You should go to Cephalonia in Greece...Where I used to live.
Full of culture, wonderful scenery, good food, hot ladies and lots of cold beer.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Oct 29 2003, 07:40 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

You should spend all your time in Australia chasing after koallas

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Oct 29 2003, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15

well, if you're going to the US, you'd better make sure to stop off in NYC!

but, in terms of other countries:

definitelly australia, russia, greece, italy, ecuador, and india. oh, and make sure to find an island in the atlantic that no one's found and establish your own tax-free country there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Oct 29 2003, 08:31 PM
Post #6

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

brighton.

'nuff said. tongue.gif

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 29 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Oct 29 2003, 08:39 PM)

Here's my main thing. I've never been to the US. I don't know a thing about it. Where do I go? What do I do? Where the hell are all of you guys? Is there some kind of central Ben & Jerry's temple I can go worship at? What do I do?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Oct 29 2003, 09:55 PM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

Italy for the food (but avoid Rome)
Belgium for the chocolate and beer and chips...

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Oct 29 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Personally i'd say ditch the family grab a backpack and go solo, i did it through Europe last year. Had a blast met some great people and best of all i would wake up realised i was bored of that place and off i'd go, with noone to say "but i want to stay another day". Also i could pick where i wanted to go too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 29 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #10

How did you handle that financially? I would love to do that, but surely it would be hugely expensive?

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Oct 29 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #11

Matazone acolyte

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Oct 29 2003, 10:21 PM)
How did you handle that financially? I would love to do that, but surely it would be hugely expensive?

Me ??

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 29 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #12

Me??

You!!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Oct 29 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #13

Matazone acolyte

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Oct 29 2003, 10:29 PM)
Me??

You!!

Oh ok wink.gif

It cost me about 1000.00 to do the month, but i was really spending the money, i met people doing 2-3 months on that.

The trick is communal rooms in hostels (please go careful doing this as some are mixed sex rooms, and there are perverts everywhere PM and ill tell you some horror stories about what happened (if your over 18).

Find a cheap place to eat in the city (in Amsterdam i found a chinese place that served huge meals for 2 euro and filled you for the day). Try not to frequent tourist bar's head outside the tourist hotspots for drinking. (Prauge found a place that was 50 pence to get in and 50p a drink, the main street was 20.00 to enter 5.00 a drink). Also if you go buy rail you save more cash AND get to see some amazing sites in the way ( from Koln to Prauge i went through the German mountians and saw some small amazing villages just covered in snow, and on the train route all the old Bavarian Castles along the river). Try to work out what citys you want to/would like to see first before heading off, so you don't back track the same route.

Otherwise that's really it, if you want slightly more info and specifics then PM me and ill try and answer them, and i only did Europe so i don't know about anything else. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Oct 29 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #14

Cheers, Spacehappy. I already spent 300 on a week in Paris, and I stayed in the dodgiest hotel in Pigalle. No really, it was actually in the Red-Light District. The soil pipe leaked into the bathroom. I jest not.

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Oct 29 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Matazone acolyte

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Oct 29 2003, 10:51 PM)
Cheers, Spacehappy. I already spent 300 on a week in Paris, and I stayed in the dodgiest hotel in Pigalle. No really, it was actually in the Red-Light District. The soil pipe leaked into the bathroom. I jest not.

My one month all zones ticket cost less than that! And it gave me access to all Europe for waht you paid for a week in Paris

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Oct 29 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 29 2003, 10:02 PM)

Here's my main thing. I've never been to the US. I don't know a thing about it. Where do I go? What do I do? Where the hell are all of you guys? Is there some kind of central Ben & Jerry's temple I can go worship at? What do I do?

in NYC? go ANYWHERE! i mean it, there isn't a single square mile in the ENTIRE city that's not packed with stuff to do. honestly, though, unless you're a really tourist-ish type guy, avoid the tourist traps. there's every kind of restaurant, times square, broadway, soho, and more other places to visit than i can count. i've lived here 14 years, and there's still plenty of stuff that i never knew NYC had.

actually though, maybe it's time to start re-considering the east coast USA meet.

+Quote Post
werewolf3361
post Oct 29 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #17

Lost in my mind

Member No.: 555

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 29 2003, 10:02 PM)

you should come to San Diego too! go to Sea World and the Zoo and stuff! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
I <3 Girls
"Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians!"

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Oct 30 2003, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

In the US there are basically two places that should be on everyones to do list. The problem is they are on opposite sides of the country. lol

These would be New York, and California. There are many other great places like the art museums in Chicago, or watching the old people in Florida, or going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. However I personally think it's all about New York and Cali! Of course I'm kinda impartial to Cali seeing as thats where I'm from and live. tongue.gif

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
magikeyes14
post Oct 30 2003, 01:55 AM
Post #19

in the end there is only me.. *CENSORED*

Member No.: 492

come to cali! san diego! o yah! hehe... there's the Zoo, Sea World... erm then if you go to other parts of cali there is Knots berry farm, disney land, magik mountain, soak city *giggles* lots and lots of places

--------------------
Forever Forbidden
take me into the darkness..........

+Quote Post
acidteardrop
post Oct 30 2003, 01:57 AM
Post #20

Nobody Expects - THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Member No.: 649

QUOTE (Debaser @ Oct 29 2003, 08:40 PM)
brighton.

'nuff said. tongue.gif

i have a friend who moved from brighton (colorado)

--------------------
im now sextastically married to krys (magikeyes)! i love you so so so so soooooo much!///im engaged to liz(edward_lover)!///I LOVE YOU BOTH!!///I am Missy's slave! yay me!///Krys is my loving girlfriend...i love you infathomably with all my heart, mind, body, soul!///killersquirrel is my first noob ever ^_^///Trina(Spiffy) is me ickle sis! ^_^ /me wuvs trina///Shelly(werewolf) is my older sister! be nice! :P///I am engaged to VVes!///Mina(deaq) is me new n00bie! I LOVE YOU, MIAN!///i have three more n00bies; baldricks gherkinator. they are Jen, David, and Sebastian///Jen must be kept away from microwaves at all times. David must be kept near Jen permanently. Sebastian must not be fed peanuts...he prefers walnuts....
YAY FOR POLYGOMY! YAY FOR YOU ACTUALLY BEING BORED ENOUGH TO ENLARGE ALL OF THIS!

/\_/\ (\ _ /} i would cry but my tears have been stolen
(^.^ ) (='.'=) i would scream but my voice has been taken
(U U ) .(")_(") thus i write.
(''')(''')
kitty attributed to Tigerlily PM me if you are reading ths, i have something to tell you
BI PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.webpost.net/ac/acidteardrop/all...ebelongtous.JPG (sorry, that picture's way too big -Commie)

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Oct 30 2003, 02:13 AM
Post #21

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Well, what kind of stuff do you like to do, Commie?

I've been all across the states, and there's tons of different things to do everywhere. I'd probably direct someone like you to NYC though, because you don't strike me as someone who would enjoy more rustic activities...lol.

Although, unfortunately, I've never been out of the country, so I can't help you out anywhere else.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 30 2003, 09:14 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (candice @ Oct 30 2003, 02:22 AM)
Well, what kind of stuff do you like to do, Commie?

I like stuff. Lots of stuff.

Somewhere with a good goth scene or subculture or the like would be good - apparently NYC has much to offer in that respect.

Hmmm...okay, NYC is on the list. I'm considering California as well - sell it to me, people!

Edit: what exactly are "rustic activities", Cand? Sheep-shearing? Rodeo?

--------------------

+Quote Post
miss_spunk
post Oct 30 2003, 11:00 AM
Post #23

Teh Mistress of Screw!

Member No.: 603

The only place in America that I've been to is California. Which is great. I spent a lot of time hiking and what not. San Francisco seems great, but I need someone who isn't my brother to let me explore it properly... But hey, I've always wanted to go to New Orleans too.

Now Sea, you simply CANNOT go all the way around the world and not go to Ireland. If you do that, I will be annoyed tongue.gif

And while you're at it, go to New Zealand and learn how to surf! no wait, you avoid the sun...

Other places to go to, Switzerland, Germany, China, India (or Pakistan smile.gif ) Russia (I have always wanted to go there, damn you Economics trip people *glares at Crunchy*) Greece, don't go to Italy, you're coming there with me and a few others after the A-levels smile.gif

Aysha xxx

--------------------
I'd love to stay here and be normal, but it's just so overrated!!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Oct 30 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #24

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

San Francisco, San Francisco, SAN FRANCISCO!!!! laugh.gif

Sorry but I love the place biggrin.gif Try staying in the Haight Ashbury (hippie) district or Castro if you're into the gay scene. There are loadsa' places but I found anything less than $70 a night was scabby.

Avoid Los Angeles it really isn't all that. Unless if course you want to do Universal Studios but even then you might as well go to Florida for all that stuff as I have it on good authority they do that better there (from someone who's been to both).

California is really nice in general though. We hired a car and drove from SF to LA and it's really rather lovely even if you only do Highway 101 rather than the scenic stuff.

Other than that I hear NYC and Chicago are lovely places if you're into cultural things and shopping and such like.

Outside of America.......well.....quite simply.....SHEFFIELD! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Oct 30 2003, 05:18 PM
Post #25

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 30 2003, 02:23 AM)
Edit: what exactly are "rustic activities", Cand? Sheep-shearing? Rodeo?

Well, not sheep-shearing. tongue.gif No one does THAT for fun (seriously, have you ever seen how much poop sheep just carry around in their wool?). Some people do the rodeo thing, but I personally have never found it much fun (although I did grow up in a town that was known for its "buckeroo").

What I meant was more nature-y, scenic type stuff. But you don't really seem the sort who would enjoy hiking a 7 mile trail in a rainforest (meaning, it'll most likely be..uh..raining). biggrin.gif

As for California..hmm. I've never been there, so I can't say anything about it really. But from what I hear, Northern CA is quite beautiful.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 01:09 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!