IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going Veggie, Any of you vegetarians??
quietphyscho
post Nov 24 2003, 02:42 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 694

Ok, I want to try going vegitarian, or possibly even vegan. I've tried once before and failed miserably. If any of you out there are vegetarians please help me!

--------------------
I live in my own little world... but that's OK everybody knows me here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 02:44 AM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 80

I'm a vegetarian.... smile.gif I've been a vegetarian for about fifteen years. I'm not really sure how I could help you though.... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Nov 24 2003, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 618

I don't think vegitarianism is the answer for me. If companies are doing incredably cruel things to their animals, I'll boycott, but not go to far as to become vegitarian. Humans eating meat can help control the animal population.
Another thing is health. Meat is good for you, as long as you don't overeat.

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 02:57 AM
Post #4

I'm not trying to convert anyone into becoming a vegetarian, but vegetarians can have a healthy diet. We just need to eat a variety of food to get all of the nutrients we need.... Much the same way everyone is supposed to. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Nov 24 2003, 03:00 AM
Post #5

And I'm not trying to convert people into omnivorism, I'm simply just stating my veiw on the topic.

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 03:10 AM
Post #6

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to be rude or anything.... I really wasn't. It's just that a lot of people do say that it is unhealthy to be a vegetarian as though that is a fact, when it really isn't.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 06:30 AM
Post #7

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

QUOTE (quietphyscho @ Nov 23 2003, 06:51 PM)
Ok, I want to try going vegitarian, or possibly even vegan. I've tried once before and failed miserably. If any of you out there are vegetarians please help me!

Hmmm, it's hard to offer any advice unless you specify what kind of help you're looking for. Do you want suggestions for what types of foods you can eat as a vegetarian? Or do you mean some other type of help that you need? Why do you think it is that you failed to go vegetarian before? If you answer that question, I can probably help you out a little bit more. smile.gif Do you need ideas for how to substitute your favorite meaty foods with a vegetarian counterpart? If so, there's plenty of stuff out there: veggie burgers, tofu hot dogs (which taste disturbingly like the real thing, in my opinion, blech...but good for those who like that sort of thing), etc.

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 06:35 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Nov 23 2003, 06:56 PM)
Humans eating meat can help control the animal population.

I have no problem with you eating meat, but this quote just jumped out at me for the poor reasoning behind it...you can hardly call it animal population control when most of the animals supplying our meat are bred specifically for the purpose of being consumed by humyns. There's no real population control taking place there.

--------------------
Then how should I begin

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Nov 24 2003, 07:01 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (MoonlightSavingsTime @ Nov 23 2003, 10:44 PM)

I have no problem with you eating meat, but this quote just jumped out at me for the poor reasoning behind it...you can hardly call it animal population control when most of the animals supplying our meat are bred specifically for the purpose of being consumed by humyns. There's no real population control taking place there.

What about Deer and Fish?

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 07:17 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Nov 23 2003, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (MoonlightSavingsTime @ Nov 23 2003, 10:44 PM)

What about Deer and Fish?

Deer and fish are not primary sources of meat for most people, and that's what I was referring to (cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys -- all the animals that are commonly found on farms and such).

And in fact, fish are also bred for sport and food in many cases. That's what fish hatcheries are for -- they breed and grow fish, and then deposit them into rivers or other popular fishing areas. So they're still being bred for consumption in this case.

In terms of deer, there actually are many examples of deer being bred for the specific purpose of hunting them. I can't remember what it's called when they do that, but there's certain plots of land where deer are bred only for the purpose of sport. Most people don't eat deer as a primary source of meat anyway.

I'll just leave it at that, because I don't want to hijack this thread.

--------------------
Then how should I begin

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Nov 24 2003, 07:22 AM
Post #11

Just one thing. Fish Hatcheries are for endangered species like the steelhead

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 08:59 AM
Post #12

And most fish become endangered due to overharvesting -- far from mere population control, that's just blatant population/habitat destruction.

--------------------
Then how should I begin

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Nov 24 2003, 09:01 AM
Post #13

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I read somewhere that vegetarians should take vitamin supplements for a vitamin only found in meat...I can't remember what it was, B-something...B15, maybe.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
FurryMammal
post Nov 24 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #14

Secret Electric Pants Buffer

Member No.: 559

im vegetarian biggrin.gif have been all of my life. the occasional lapse doesnt bother me either

--------------------
George Bush- the world's worst winner.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 24 2003, 12:13 PM
Post #15

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

one word...

BACON tongue.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Starfish
post Nov 24 2003, 01:14 PM
Post #16

Worrying

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Nov 24 2003, 02:10 AM)
I read somewhere that vegetarians should take vitamin supplements for a vitamin only found in meat...I can't remember what it was, B-something...B15, maybe.

It's B-12. Omega 3 fatty acids supplements are helpful too, good for your brain, but only found in fish.

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. Then it's a new game of find the eye. I like that game.

Hyperion's n00b, Elf's Step-n00b

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 03:49 PM
Post #17

Actually, according to my books and The American Heart Association's website (AHA), Vitamin B-12 can be found in animal products including meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese.... Many vegetarians still consume milk products and/or eggs. Plus, it can be found in certain fortified cereals and other fortified foods. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 24 2003, 06:58 PM
Post #18

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 24 2003, 04:22 AM)
one word...

BACON tongue.gif

There's a vegetarian version of bacon.

Sausage too.

If you really like meat, but don't want to eat it anymore, there are plenty of vegetarian alternatives out there that really do taste like the real thing. The bacon (that I tried at least) isn't one of them, but it still tastes okay. The sausage is one of the more realistic ones that I tried. Also, chik patties are pretty close to what chicken patties taste like. And Moonlight is right...the tofu dogs are disturbingly close in taste to regular hot dogs..lol. Back when I was a vegetarian I'd have one when we had a barbecue, but I had to make sure to cook mine inside or I was in danger of getting one of the regular ones...you really cannot tell the difference.

Like Crissi said before, just make sure that you get a balanced diet so you don't get malnourished. Make sure it's varied and not always the same thing (which can be hard if you eat out at fast food places a lot, since their idea of a vegetarian alternative is almost ALWAYS a salad).

And be sure to tell anyone who waves meat in front of your face and says "Oooh, looky....are you suuure you don't want some?" what a complete and utter moron they are. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 07:40 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (candice @ Nov 24 2003, 02:07 PM)
And be sure to tell anyone who waves meat in front of your face and says "Oooh, looky....are you suuure you don't want some?" what a complete and utter moron they are. biggrin.gif

Ugh, don't remind me! smile.gif That is exactly what I'm going to get to look forward to during the holidays.... My uncle is the worst.... He has actually laid his meat on my veggie plate! I had to throw it out and start all over.... lol (Yes, I'm a really picky vegetarian.... I don't even want meat touching my veggie food.... lol) It is not enjoyed... lol

There are definitely a lot of alternatives to meat as everyone else has said. There are a lot of great vegetarian cookbooks out there, and you can find a lot of vegetarian recipes online without even buying a vegetarian cookbook.... Here are some sites I found with a quick google search:

The Low Fat Vegetarian Recipe Archive--searchable recipe archive
Vegetarian Recipes From Around the World
All Recipes/Vegetarian.
And The American Heart Association has a few vegetarian recipes on their website: AMA - Recipe Finder. Just check the box next to "Vegetarian" and click "submit".

+Quote Post
Starfish
post Nov 24 2003, 07:43 PM
Post #20

Worrying

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (candice @ Nov 24 2003, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Nov 24 2003, 04:22 AM)
one word...

BACON tongue.gif

There's a vegetarian version of bacon.

Sausage too.

Yeah, the veggie sausage even upsets my stomach like the real thing. dry.gif

Gardenburger "Ribblets" are fabulous! Very meaty-ish and tastey. smile.gif

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. Then it's a new game of find the eye. I like that game.

Hyperion's n00b, Elf's Step-n00b

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 24 2003, 07:44 PM
Post #21

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (CrissiLove @ Nov 24 2003, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 24 2003, 02:07 PM)

Ugh, don't remind me! smile.gif That is exactly what I'm going to get to look forward to during the holidays.... My uncle is the worst.... He has actually laid his meat on my veggie plate! I had to throw it out and start all over.... lol (Yes, I'm a really picky vegetarian.... I don't even want meat touching my veggie food.... lol) It is not enjoyed... lol

Eww. Poor Crissi. sad.gif

I was the same way. That's another part of why I grilled my own veggie dog indoors...I didn't want it touching the meat juice covered grill..lol.

Oh, and don't eat at Pizza Hut. They put meat juice on their vegetarian pizza. Although, they might not now...they got quite a bit of flack for that (deservedly so).

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 07:50 PM
Post #22

Yeah.... I don't understand why so many places insist on adding meat flavoring (and such things) to food that really doesn't need it--especially any food that is supposedly vegetarian (such as a vegetarian pizza... lol)!

Adding this:
Oh, and I don't eat veggie burgers at restaurants either. Many times they cook the veggie patty on the same grill as they cook the meat on.

+Quote Post
quietphyscho
post Nov 24 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 694

My problom seems to be that I love meat, and tend to cheat alot. I'm not sure how to stop myself from doing this. I'm also not entirely sure how to get all the nutrition I need. Do any of you use a specific plan or anything??

--------------------
I live in my own little world... but that's OK everybody knows me here.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 24 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #24

Candbrush Threepwood

Well, like I said before, there are a LOT of alternatives that taste like the real thing. What kind of meat do you like specifically? They have an alternative for almost everything, I've noticed. Except fish...I've never seen any soy based fish. But that may be just because I live in a small town.

I don't think you need to stick to a plan...just make sure that you don't eat the same veggie burger and salad every day. Switch things up a bit, to make sure that you get a lot of variety. That way you'll almost definitely get a lot of nutrients. smile.gif If you're still worried, then take a vitamin supplement. In fact, I'd say take one anyway (but not one of those that has like 300% of your daily value for each vitamin..that's actually bad for you!) Beans are a good source of protein...as are nuts. Are you still going to eat dairy products and eggs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 25 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #25

I don't follow any specific plan.... I don't even like to eat vegetarian food that tastes like meat, but those types of food should be great for you! smile.gif I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to those foods, but I know that I have seen everything from veggie hotdogs, (breakfast) sausage, bacon, chicken, ground meat, and hamburgers.... In my grocery store I go to, they have a lot of the vegetarian food in both the freezer section, and in a section that is between the dairy and produce sections. Morningstar Farms has pretty good variety of vegetarian food. And you can be creative with a lot of it.... Take a veggie burger and cut it to make it into some tacos or something else! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 05:21 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!