IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breaking Down..., just thought you ought to know...
doublehelix00101...
post Dec 13 2003, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Obsessive

Group: New Members
Member No.: 626

Ok, i have very very very sad news. my brother, age 21, has recently been diagnosed with a type of very rare muscular dystrophy called Fredricks Attaxia. it is indeed genetic and it is very possible for me to have it as well, or to be a carrier or not have any trace of the disease at all. i have never prayed so hard and seriously about anything in my whole life and i fear for his life, because he will eventually die...and so will i if i do have it. but, there's a catch. i don't know if i have it because i am too afraid to get tested. i have milder symptoms but some still the same such as scoliosis. this has made me very depressed and i have turned to my music, my lifestyle and everything about me reflects how i feel. i get madder easier and i cry more often for no apparent reason. i guess all i need is to tell you guys since i mentioned it in the pill topic in issues, it might have had you all worrying if you cared that is. i just wanted to let you know...

--------------------
"meaningless lies and childish outlooks casting shadows of ignorance on our walls of life so we all sit back and watch the dancing puppets, unknowing that our lives are quickly withering away..."~me~
This is my December, these are my snow covered dreams. This is me pretending, this is all I need.

The Gothic Goddess in lygophilia's Fantasy Creature Club!!!
The Assassin of All Assassins in acidteardrop's EVIL EMPIRE!!!
The Blower of Kisses in spiffi's Hug Cult!!!*kiss wink*
The Schizophrenic Shaman in Dark Protector's League of Insanity!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Dec 13 2003, 03:01 AM
Post #2

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Member No.: 644

Very sorry, hope for the best

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
Zesty
post Dec 13 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #3

From: The United States of America. Except on Tuesday mornings when i travel into another dimension for an hour or so.
Member No.: 660

double: i will keep you in my prayers.

--------------------
Amelie has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. Its a perfect moment. Soft light... a scent in the air, the quiet murmur of the city. She breathes deeply. Life is simple and clear. A surge of love, an urge to help mankind comes over her..

+Quote Post
doublehelix00101...
post Dec 13 2003, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Obsessive

thanks a lot. it really means a lot to me and that's all we can do is just to have faith, which is awful because i have none.

--------------------
"meaningless lies and childish outlooks casting shadows of ignorance on our walls of life so we all sit back and watch the dancing puppets, unknowing that our lives are quickly withering away..."~me~
This is my December, these are my snow covered dreams. This is me pretending, this is all I need.

+Quote Post
jicama
post Dec 13 2003, 06:18 AM
Post #5

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

dude. get tested. there is nothing worse than not knowing. even if you have it, at least you'll know for sure. and if you don't, it will be a huge relief.

there's nothing i can say that will make you feel better. heck, i don't even know you. but even if we were best friends, i doubt there would be anything i could say that would be helpful. all i know is that sometimes life is light and happy, and sometimes it's the worst kind of torture. we hope for good, and we do our best to get through the bad.

i'm not big with the prayers, but i wish you hope.

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Dec 15 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

jeez helix....i wish stuff like this didn't have to happen to people, but that isn't much use to you! all i can say is i'll think about you, and if you ever want to talk let me know, yeah? *biggest possible hugs*

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 15 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

(tried posting this yesterday, but IE crashed and I got in a huff)....

Seriously, I'd like to echo jicama's advice - get yourself tested. Otherwise, you'll be left with the fear, with no way out. Get tested, and you'll know one way or the other, either you're in the clear, and you can forget the fear, and get on with supporting your brother. If you test positive, you'll still be relieved of that nagging fear due to not knowing. And if that's the case, you can start to deal with it, educate yourself about it, and learn what you can do to help the situation.

If it's going to happen, you're better off knowing that it's coming, and if it's not going to happen, you need to know that so you can stop worrying that it might.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
ravein
post Dec 15 2003, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

I have to agree with them.... I went through the same thing last year... I was shaking horribly.. I was worried to death that I had some strange form of Parkinsonís. I would read up on it online, in med journals, etc.. by the time I finally made it to the doctor I was scared to death. I couldnít sleep.. I was in hell. Come to find out it was just Graves Disease which is basically a super over-active thyroid gland. Iím on meds and all is well. Just go, it is better to face your fears than to let needless fears eat you alive.
I hope it all works out for you! good luck!!

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." ‚ÄĒSimone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
doublehelix00101...
post Dec 15 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Obsessive

well i think i should get tested but i'd miss a bunch of school for DNA testing and blood tests and sleeping tests so on so forth. i think i will get tested if it doesn't get any better, who knows maybe i'm just paranoid and think i have it. my mom thinks that i'm just worrying, but i'm trying to focus on my brother right now. he means the world to me and i don't want to lose him, even if it will be a while. i know some of the med. facts but i get really frightened by all the pictures i see and stories i read so i stopped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cait
post Dec 16 2003, 06:32 PM
Post #10

Social Introvert, Sporatic Poster

Member No.: 747

*hugs*

I wish you luck getting through this. It is an obsticle in your life that must be faced, and will eventually anyway. For the part of your own fear of having it. It would be best to get tested and over with, so that you know, because it is inevetable that you would find out if you do have it anyway. And the sooner you get through the fear of not knowing, the sooner you can move on to the next stage of the problem, whatever it may end up being. As for your brother I hope that he is okay, and stays with you for a while. I hope that something can be done for him. I'm not religious, but I'll pray for you in my own little way all the same.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Dec 16 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #11

Empowe(red)

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 614

::huggles helix:: I'll say a prayer for you

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:36 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!