Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Very Maudlin Rant, ...
MistressAlti
post Dec 17 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #1

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I just read Jonman's engagement announcement, and I was thinking about back when he first met her, and was talking about her, and it was so cute, all the way up through now, and I came to a realization:

I have just encountered a significant chapter in a complete stranger's life. A complete stranger, if not for Matazone... and how strange it really is! I mean, of course Jon's life, in reality, has nothing to do with mine at all, but I can't help being ecstatic for the whole ordeal.

How weird is that? So. Incredibly weird. To me, at least.

And of course that just spurred on more thought, about how drastically my life has changed since I came here in just so many ways, and I wonder how things could have been different if I'd never been here at all. I mean, wow. I would have serious void in my life that I have no idea how I ever filled before I came here, and just... wow.

This place is quickly approaching its first-year anniversary, and having been there since the beginning, that means one year for me, too... where was I before I came here? Who the hell was I? Some lonely and unhappy teenage girl looking desperately to belong somewhere, that's who I was, if I was anything else I don't remember. It seems like forever ago. I've changed so much. This place is a catalyst for that change, if not the cause itself.

You all are the very definition of unconditional love. No matter how horrible I am, no matter how rude I get, no matter how many mistakes I make, you take me back in your loving arms and tell me it's okay. You give me that freedom to be a human being, to be right and wrong and have good times and bad times and just live for once. This is the only place I have ever felt that freedom. Maybe it's the only place in which it exists.

You all have touched me so much. I guess that's why Jonman's announcement affects me, or why anyone else's events affect me, for that matter. You're my family, and I love you.

And I wonder, is there anyone out there that follows my life, gets excited at the up times and sad on the down times, and is gonna cheer for me when my chapter has a happy ending?

I don't know. I just hope I have touched all of you in the same way you've touch me. I guess that's what all this ranting is about. You all touch me so much, every day, and you mean so much to me. Sometimes... it surprises me just how much.

I'm crying like a big emotional moron now. Oi.

/end maudlin rant
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Dec 17 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Love you, Rachel. When your happy ending comes, I'll be cheering the loudest.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Dec 17 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 17 2003, 01:14 PM)
Love you, Rachel. When your happy ending comes, I'll be cheering the loudest.

I'd like to see you out-cheer a cheerleader!

Not that I am one. No. Certainly not.

*hides pom poms*

But I will of course be happy when your happy ending comes, Missysaurus. I do get excited at the up times in your life, and sad at the down times. I love you lots.

/me hugs

You already stated my feelings on this better than I could have. smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
ravein
post Dec 17 2003, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

yeah.. that was the cutest when he was telling us about her. He was soooooo cute and giddy! I think that we have all changes some.. I know my life is 100% different than when I came here almost a year ago. I would say that it changed for the better. There are some sad things.. but I can say that my experiance here has been a good one and I am much better off for what I have learned. happy.gif

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 17 2003, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

*blush*

aye, it's been a crazy mad year for a lot of us, I think. A lot's happened, I've certainly learnt a lot, and it's occurred to me what a unique and fantastically bizarre little community we are. As a group, I think a lot of us do live vicariously through the ups and downs of other members, and while that is indeed very odd given that most of us are strangers to one another, it's certainly a good thing. If nothing else, I'm sure that we as a community could keep a small horde of social science students busy. That may sound stupid, but I personally find it fascinating how the technology of the intnerweb is allowing us to radically alter the dynamic of our social groups. I suspect that if we all lived in the same town, there's be a hugely less clos connection between us all.

Long live the webternet, say I.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Dec 17 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #6

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Yep. You and I've had our little ups and downs and whatnot, and I'm pretty f--king proud to have shared something so lovely with someone so lovely. I'll always remember crying with you on the phone about Dayan, everything you said, all the comfort.. maybe it sounds morose, but that was a big part of life got shared there.

Seems people share lots here.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Dec 18 2003, 05:27 AM
Post #7

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

Awww, you guys got me teared up all over again. tongue.gif

I love you guys. I really do.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 18 2003, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I've met some great people on this forum. I've been through hell and this was my haven. I've been on the mountaintop and this was my home. I met Narth and Spiffy and now they're like family to me. I've had my beliefs tested and my eyes opened. My only regret is not coming sooner.There's been drama, anger, tears, joy, celebrations, tears and silliness. I'd probably still be on drugs, drinking and cutting myself if not for you guys. I don't know how much that means to you guys, but it means the world to me. I've had my differences and hostilities with some of you guys, but I'll put them all aside and forget about them. After all, we're a family here and that's what family does.

I'm crying hardcore like in that good way (hugs everyone). Thanks for being my family.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Dec 18 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

You mushy lot! You wouldnt catch me blubbing like a bunch of pre-menstrual women!!!... tongue.gif

/me blubs

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Dec 18 2003, 07:08 PM
Post #10

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Don't worry Missy, I was feeling the same way when Jonman announced it. I was like wow I remember when those two met. It made me feel all gushy and I'm not even on my period! laugh.gif

I'll be the one in your chearing section throwing the rubber chicken around the crowd and blowing the bullhorn Missy when you get your happy ending! It's always grand to see things go right for someone that you know virtually or non-virtually.

Some thing I think some people don't think about when they first get involved in internet groups, or look at those outside of internet groups, is that because we do have this computer screen and miles seperating us, we have the chance to get to know people better because this also helps break down barriers that might be there in the "real" world. Hell tons of us are even planning on (if they haven't already) meeting up with the people that they meet here, in real life and taking that next step to getting to know people even better. I know personally that if I had met any of you in real life first you wouldn't know me as well as I allow online.

I know these forums have changed who I am, wether people realize it or not they have. I think that I am better because of this place. If I hadn't come here, I would be lonlier than I am right now, probably still pining over coma boy, and suffering from not hearing him. I wouldn't be at the same level of weirdness as I am now, (even though I was really weird before coming here) and I wouldn't use the suffix ISH so much. I love all of you like you were my own disfunctional family.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Dec 18 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #11

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Dec 17 2003, 09:07 PM)
I don't know. I just hope I have touched all of you in the same way you've touch me.

what kind of touching are we talking about here? I havent exactly been sleeping properly and if uve been sneaking in to my room at night, missy...

BAD TASTE! HE SHARES THE SENTIMENT, REALLY. HES JUST IN ONE OF HIS SILLY MOODS JUST NOW... I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO BE "POLITE"...

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 20 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #12

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Here's a bit from a Bruce Sterling short story called Green Days in Brunei that I'm reading at the moment:

The sluggishness of Brunei had disappeared overnight once he'd hooked to the Net. The screen had eaten up his life. A month had passed since his first bootleg run. All day he worked on AML; at night he went home to trade electronic mail with Seria.

Their romance had grown through the Net; not through modern video, but through the ancient bulletin board's anonymous green text. Day by day it became more intense, for it was all kept in the private section of memory, and nothing could be taken back. Ther were over a hundred messages on their secret disks, starting coolly and teasingly, and working slowly up through real passion to a kind of mutual panic.

[....]

The Net had tricked them, because they couldn't see each other. Turner realised now that no woman had ever known and understood him as Seria did, for the simple reason that he had never had to talk to one so much. If things had gone as they were meant to in the West, he thought, they would have chased their attraction into bed and killed it there. Their two worlds would have collided bruisingly and they would have smiled over the orange juice the next morning and mumbled tactful goodbyes.

But that wasn't how it happened. Over the weeks, it had come pouring out between them, his family, her family, their resentment, his loneliness, her petty constraints, all those irritants that ulcerate a single person, but are soothed by two. Bizarrely, they had more in common than he could have ever expected. Real things, things that mattered.

The painfully simple local Net filtered human relations down to a single channel of printed words, leaving only a high-flown Platonic essence. Their relationship had grown into a classic, bloodless, spiritual romance in its most intense and dangerous sense. Human beings weren't meant to live such roles. It was the stuff of high drama because it could very easily drive you crazy.

I think what Missy is experiencing is exactly the reason, and the hopes I had, for starting this forum. I'd found a lot of internet forums to be pretty anodyne. People flame each other, there's a core of users who don't let anyone else in and rarely does anything serious get talked about in the open. I didn't want that.

I wanted to make a place where people could come and find themselves a home. I wanted, through the single channel of printed words, for people to find some release from the petty constraints we have placed on us, and that we place on ourselves, in our everyday lives. I've always wanted to help people grow, and I figured that if people have a place that they can feel comfortable then that will give us all a place to start and from, from there we can begin to change our lives outside of the forums that we call home.

These forums have helped me too, in the last year I've moved from working in an office to working by myself. I no longer see anyone else other than Sues on a daily and predictable basis and these forums have given me people that I can talk to about how my day has been, how my life is going... All those things that I would have had from friends that I would work with. So, to put it another way, you've all made my job of running this site possible, as well as making it worth doing at the same time.

It's been a mad twelve months. It was about this time last year that I was ending regular employment and getting ready to be fully self-employed. Through these forums I've felt great happiness (just one thing that comes to mind was seeing Prince Aries' post when he got a boyfriend!) and great loss, but that I can feel these emotions shows that everything I'd hoped for in a forum has come true.

I know a fair few people who say that I've made something special that is very rare on the internet, it's great to be told that because it just confirms what I already know to be true in my heart.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Rattgirl
post Dec 20 2003, 02:20 AM
Post #13

I forgot my socks

Member No.: 417

Wow.....

That's incredibly touching, Mata.....thanks for sharing that with us.
I admit that sometimes I feel a little out of the loop, because I don't come on here very often, and haven't formed any fierce and emotional relationships with other members here....but there are also times that I sit here with a goofy smile on my face, feeling so loved and appreciated by people who hardly know me. I've met a score or so of people that I've come to know initially through the Net...even two boyfriends....and I've found that with only 2 exceptions, all of my closest friends; the ones that have been there for years now, and always welcome me, always love me, and are as steadfast and true as any friend in a fairy tale...almost every one was made online. Aries and the third member of AKAT (mia Angelina) are the only two long-term friends I've made in the past 5 years that I didn't meet first on the Net.

Even though I'm not on here very much...I love this place. I love the people in it. I love the fact that through so many tribulations, these forums have maintained a sense of community, of dignity, of fellowship. Problems that I've seen tear other forums or chat rooms apart, have only made these forums closer. People are travelling the oceans, and across continents, to meet each other. People are forming deep and abiding relationships with people of widely varying ages, races, and ideas.

This really is a wonderful place you've built, Mata. You have every right to feel proud of it. I hope you know how much we all respect and love you for what you've created smile.gif.

--------------------
If I was a zombie, I would be back from the dead. As it is, I'm just back!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Dec 20 2003, 03:40 AM
Post #14

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Now if only someone would invent a box that plugs into your PC and dispenses pie, we'd never have to leave our comfy chairs!

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Dec 20 2003, 09:04 AM
Post #15

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Reading this makes me recall some of the other forums I've tried. I've gone on as just regular old Ri and have gotten torn apart by people. This was the first real forum I got into, so I was shocked by how people treated eachother on the other forums I've been on. The hostilities here are nothing compared to the ones on other forums and there is absolutly no sense of family. The only thing that seems to matter elsewhere is the stern pecking order which prevents anyone from integrating socially. It really saddens me. I've found a lot of friendship here which has been very helpful since going to college and not being around my friends IRL. I'm really glad I gave this forum a shot. I love all of you guys and always will. I will cherish the acceptance you guys have given (even if I am an annoying jackass sometimes happy.gif)

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Dec 20 2003, 11:05 AM
Post #16

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 20 2003, 03:39 AM)
Now if only someone would invent a box that plugs into your PC and dispenses pie, we'd never have to leave our comfy chairs!

dont get me started on pies. you people dont know what to do with them. Just last night i gave one to leo and pointed in the direction of bill gates and he went and bloomin ate the thing.

(the pie i mean, not bill gates)

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 22 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #17

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Rattgirl @ Dec 20 2003, 02:19 AM)
This really is a wonderful place you've built, Mata. You have every right to feel proud of it. I hope you know how much we all respect and love you for what you've created smile.gif.

The respect and love goes both ways. If you all weren't so ready for a place like this and so willing to give it a go then it would never have worked.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Sun Tsu
post Dec 22 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #18

Flip Mode Is The Greatest

Group: New Members
Member No.: 29

Thank you all so much for the care you have given me. I can be listened to and appreciated here, I thank for all of this time you have given to me, and Mata for making me this gift of a welcoming community.

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Dec 22 2003, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Haibane

Member No.: 731

I'm rather new here, and most of my posts go to Daft, so most of you, if not all of you, don't know me very well. But if I hadn't come here, I would probably still be simply trying to be a better person. Because while I've not fully escaped my rage and sadness quite yet, I find the people here are more accepting than my friends IRL. I mean, my real life friends and I all love each other, but sometimes we can be assholes to each other for the slightest slip-up (i.e. My friend messes something up on the comp. Him: It wasn't me, according to my logic that button didn't do that. Me: That doesn't change that that's what the button does do. Him: *begins to taunt me* Me: *loses control and lightly digs nails into his back, regains control and removes nails* Him: Oh! Your not really a pacifist! *taunts* Me: If you will not cease taunting please leave. Him: *continues taunting, leaves after about 10 minutes* We really are good friends deep down, but we get into dumb situations like that all the time, where we're both at fault, that kind of stuff doesn't happen here, however, therefore not only does this place calm me, it trains me and I become a little more in control). Anyway, if I hadn't come here I'd probably be a very sad person. Because before I came here I thought there couldn't possibly be anyplace where I belonged. You all have been a great encouragement to me, a great joy to meet, and most importantly great friends, thank you.

P.S. My real life friends are cool, the parenthisis was an example of a bad situation.

P.P.S. Besides, it's much easier to talk to people when they are thousands of miles away from you (not as odd a statement as it might sound at first).

Again, thanks everyone.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 22 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #20

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

what sorta connectivity you think that'd need, i'm guessing USB wouldn't be up for it....maybe PIE (i'll leave someone more witty than I to think up what PIE actually stands for) but you can imagine the possibilities, all the combinations under the sun!

mmm....digital pie

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Dec 22 2003, 08:11 PM
Post #21

Haibane

Member No.: 731

PIE? I'm not that good at this stuff, but possibly "Pie In Excess"?

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Daedalus
post Dec 22 2003, 08:45 PM
Post #22

Pretend you didn't notice

Member No.: 556

Pastry Integration Equipment?

--------------------
I wub snoo

+Quote Post
leopold
post Dec 23 2003, 10:01 AM
Post #23

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Dec 20 2003, 11:04 AM)

dont get me started on pies. you people dont know what to do with them. Just last night i gave one to leo and pointed in the direction of bill gates and he went and bloomin ate the thing.

(the pie i mean, not bill gates)

Oh, so THAT'S what the pie was for! Sorry 'bout that, sinuses playin up at the mo, makin me do daft stuff like eat pies that were meant to be lobbed at billionaires...

/me vomits the cream pie over Bill Gates

That better, taz?

Now please excuse me while I bang me head repeatedly on the desk in an attempt to clear me sinuses an get me creative juices flowin so I can think of summat that PIE could stand for...

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Dec 23 2003, 04:09 PM
Post #24

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 23 2003, 02:00 AM)
Now please excuse me while I bang me head repeatedly on the desk in an attempt to clear me sinuses an get me creative juices flowin so I can think of summat that PIE could stand for...

Well there's always the classic............3.17 or is that 3.14?

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
acidteardrop
post Dec 23 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #25

Nobody Expects - THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Group: New Members
Member No.: 649

ive probably said this before, but i dont think i could word it like missy did.

here i am accepted, as nowhere else before have i ever been. here i have found love and kindness in all of you, that i have never been given before. you accept me, even though i am a chronically depressed pessimistic overly modest f--khole.

i consider this family as my only family. i love you all so very much. thank you for being there for me.

--------------------
im now sextastically married to krys (magikeyes)! i love you so so so so soooooo much!///im engaged to liz(edward_lover)!///I LOVE YOU BOTH!!///I am Missy's slave! yay me!///Krys is my loving girlfriend...i love you infathomably with all my heart, mind, body, soul!///killersquirrel is my first noob ever ^_^///Trina(Spiffy) is me ickle sis! ^_^ /me wuvs trina///Shelly(werewolf) is my older sister! be nice! :P///I am engaged to VVes!///Mina(deaq) is me new n00bie! I LOVE YOU, MIAN!///i have three more n00bies; baldricks gherkinator. they are Jen, David, and Sebastian///Jen must be kept away from microwaves at all times. David must be kept near Jen permanently. Sebastian must not be fed peanuts...he prefers walnuts....
YAY FOR POLYGOMY! YAY FOR YOU ACTUALLY BEING BORED ENOUGH TO ENLARGE ALL OF THIS!

/\_/\ (\ _ /} i would cry but my tears have been stolen
(^.^ ) (='.'=) i would scream but my voice has been taken
(U U ) .(")_(") thus i write.
(''')(''')
kitty attributed to Tigerlily PM me if you are reading ths, i have something to tell you
BI PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.webpost.net/ac/acidteardrop/all...ebelongtous.JPG (sorry, that picture's way too big -Commie)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 02:42 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!