Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Road To The Self, A rant/philosophy by Lo
LoLo
post Jan 6 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I just needed to have a little rant. You can choose to read this or not, but I have to get it off of my chest. Just a side note, this isnít about games being copied or what not, just a rant for me.

I donít think some people seem to realize what it does to other people when they copy them. For some reason people think it is a good way to show the fact that they admire them. Either that or they think that by copying one person that they think is cool and funny or what not, that this will make that person like them, or other people like them. It doesnít work that way though. At least not for the most part. The problem with it is that they are not being themselves, they are trying to be someone else.

I used to do that myself when I was younger. I wanted so badly to be part of the in group that I tried to be what I thought the in group wanted me to be. It didnít work either, because they thought I was just some poser who was out to try and become cool. I donít think I ever truly made it into the ranks of this coolness that I was striving for, but I did get past it and became a better person for it. It was when I turned my cheek and said, ďF**k them and what they think,Ē and started being me without caring if someone thought I was being a big geek or what have you, that people started to really like me, and most importantly I started to like me.

See what I didnít realize at the time was that I was belittling their own experiences that got them to the place that they were at. Now that I am in this position where some people for some odd reason look at me and think Iím cool and try to copy that so that I will like them better, that I truly get it. See I had to travel down my road to become what I am. I had a lot of good and bad experiences that shaped my personality and who I became. Frankly I wouldnít wish the stuff I had to go through to get where I am today on anyone. Iím still working on what it takes to make myself survive in this world and be the Lo that people know, the Lo that I like to be. When someone copies me so that I will like them, or so that other people will like them better because they seem to like me ok, it makes my personal journey seem all that much less important. It seems like it doesnít really matter that I had to go through as much as I went through to get to where I am, since all one has to do is gank the personality traits from someone else to make themselves. I personally donít hold much respect for those who are unwilling to follow their own path and become what they are meant to be.

So my moral of the story is donít copy other people. If youíre going to copy anything that I do, please let it be to just say to yourself one day, ďF**k what other people think!Ē Thatís one of the best ways of becoming a true individual.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jan 6 2004, 04:30 AM
Post #2

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

A. F**king. Men.

You've said what I've been trying to express for a week now.

You're my hero. *applauds*

+Quote Post
Marsyas
post Jan 6 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #3

Apparently squishy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 763

That was, quite possibly, one of the most intelligent and thoughtful things I've read all day. Thank you for stating it so eloquently.

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear

+Quote Post
leopold
post Jan 6 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #4

Absentee Mod

Group: Moderators
From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

That's our Lo - eloquent to the end.

There is a saying that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Yep, I can sort of see that, when others take on little bits of my traits (such as using my stylised words from time to time, or using -ish where they wouldn't normally), but it's just the bits that are appreciated. I guess, from that perspective, Lo doesn't mind if everyone uses the word "gank".

But to go to the extreme and try to be like someone in order for them to like you is going a touch too far. I've not been through half as much as Lo has, so when people copy me I don't feel like my worth is devalued. But I do find it a bit wearing, to the point where I yell "Hello, is your personality in there??"

I, too, have been through the same cycle of trying to fit in when I was much younger - but the point came to me with the realisation that it wasn't working, the point where I decided "Bollocks to this, I'll just do my own thing! If people don't like it, that's their problem and not mine." Since then, I've found it easier to make friends. And yes, there are those who don't like me. But you know what? I don't care! There's millions of people out there, and if a handful dislike me for whatever reason, I can live with that!

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jan 6 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #5

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

I've never really conformed to what society considers "normal". I don't dress "fashionably" (although I guess 'skater chic' is in! biggrin.gif) and I don't do "fashionable" things. I do what makes me happy. Don't worry Lo, it's all good, you do what you want girl and I agree with you, you should be yourself otherwise you lose all sense of indentity.

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jan 6 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (leopold @ Jan 6 2004, 01:05 AM)
I've not been through half as much as Lo has, so when people copy me I don't feel like my worth is devalued.  But I do find it a bit wearing, to the point where I yell "Hello, is your personality in there??"

I don't really think that my personal experiences, however bad many of them may have been, are any more valuable than that of another person's. Someone may have lived a gifted life where their parents stayed together and loved them unconditionally and helped them with anything they could have ever wanted or needed, but that doesn't make their experience any less important to who they become than mine. I can't travel that road, so yes I could be jealous of the fact that they seemed to have gotten a nice path to follow, but by trying to copy them, I feel, devalues their experiences. Experiences good and bad help to shape people, and those experiences are theirs to have. Does that make any sense?

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 7 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

/me claps

I don't get copied much...but I do know someone who copies everything one of my friends does.

I haven't told this person outright, because I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I really cannot stand her.

And that's sad to me. Because I think I really would like her so much better if she just was her own person and stopped trying to be like someone else. That someone is very loved and popular, and the girl obviously really wants to be...but I doubt she ever will be if she doesn't start being original.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
sammi
post Jan 7 2004, 02:16 AM
Post #8

As cliched as it sounds, the world is coming to an end. *nods*

Group: New Members
Member No.: 652

Definately agreement on what people have said... Being yourself is really better than trying to be someone else. I remember when I was around 11 I had major issues about "fitting in" for some reason, but I didn't go about copying what people did. I just sorta' absorbed it and was stupid enough to be what they wanted me to be. dry.gif Thank God that time is past and I came to the same sort of realization others have mentioned... The "WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK?! I'm gonna be meeee!" sort of thing... And what Leopold mentioned is also rather important - there are bound to be people that dislike you. You can't get along with every single person on the planet. So with all those people out there, whoever you turn out to be, there is bound to be someone who likes you for who you are. But anyways, muchos good for you Lolo.

--------------------
Krys owns my n00by arse! Twinkie-eating chinchilla. Fear meh! >D Official possessed blueberry of the Evil Empire.Official tree-hugger hugger of the Hug Cult. <3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 11:48 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!