Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New York, I'm off to the US again :)
Pixelgoth
post Jan 8 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

OK peeps, another request for information. This time for NY. I'm off next June with work for another US conference (something to do with the UN I believe!) smile.gif

I need advice on places to stay, things to do, places to eat, go out, etc., etc.

Any ideas??? unsure.gif

On a side note, I was watching a programme on San Francisco cops last night and just missed SF so much sad.gif Can anyone get me a green card???? wink.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 8 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Ooooh!

Go tousel Gerb's hair while you're there...hehehe.

I'm joking. Let's see...things to do in NY. It's been awhile since I lived there (February of 2001), so hmm. Gerb would probably be the best source of information on this. It's just been too long for me now I think. Plus, I don't think I'd really want to send you to most of the places I used to go...unless you're really looking for bargains on shopping (like Depressed Fromage told me she was when she asked for advice). It's not exactly the most tourist-friendly place around...especially for people with cute accents tongue.gif (you'd get hit on constantly...and I do mean CONSTANTLY).

Let's see...major stuff. Don't bother actually going to the statue of liberty. It's a day-long trip and not at all worth it. Ride past it on the Staten Island ferry. It's free (at least I think so), and you can get a perfect view of the thing from the deck.

Other than that....hmm. I'll have to think for awhile. OH! For goodness sake, don't eat from a hot dog vendor on the street. That's just..icky! You don't know how long that hot dog has been in there! It just grosses me out..and I've heard so many stories of people getting sick...and watched my little cousin-in-law get very sick while I was living there. Well, not so little now. I guess he'd be 14. But still....hot dog vendors = evil!

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Jan 8 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

By New York, you mean NYC, right? Cause if not I can't help you.

But if you ARE going to NYC:

About hotdog vendors: they're honestly not that bad. Just watch what you buy from them. Pretzels are virtually (I'm saying 'virtually' because, althought I've never heard of the pretzels making anoyne sick EVER, it might have happened. I really doubt it though.) always fine to eat. Same with the drinks. The hotdogs are fine as long as you don't get toppings that spoil easily (yes, I know, people DO occasionally get sick from eating hotdogs, but it's really, REALLY rare. And generally from eating bad topings). But, if you're worried about getting sick, there ARE a few of those vendors scattered around who cook the food in front of you and don't just leave it in some box all day (those people generally don't have hotdogs though, but the food is good and definitelly safe to eat). This is a really cheap way to get some decent food. (I know there's at least one around Chambers st. if you're ever in that area)

Other than that, you can eat just about anything (depending on your budget). Obviously, I don't know every single restaurant in NYC. In fact, i know practically none. And I have no idea about their prices. But, generally, if you want to find out where a good, cheap place to eat is, just ask around. Contrary to popular belief, New Yorkers are generally nice people who'll give you directions if you ask for it (if they know where to go).

As for things to do: well, you can do just about ANYTHING. If you're a touristy, sight-seeing person, you can go out and see whatever part of the city you want for yourself (which I'd recommend), or take a bus or ferry around and look around that way (I wouldn't, but that's just me). I mean, you can do basically anything you can think of doing here. Where it is depends on what you want to do.

Oh, and definitelly don't go visit the Statue of Liberty (up close, I mean). Mostly because it's been closed because the government says it's a terrorism target and shouldn't remain open to the public.....

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 8 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Jan 8 2004, 01:07 PM)
Oh, and definitelly don't go visit the Statue of Liberty (up close, I mean). Mostly because it's been closed because the government says it's a terrorism target and shouldn't remain open to the public.....

Really? I didn't know that. Ha.

I still stand by my previous statement about hot dog vendors. I'd get a pretzel from them...but meat carried around in a cart..hmm. No thank you! Maybe it's just a weird phobia of mine, though, after watching the cousin-in-law be so sick and having the girls at work all tell me all these horror stories..lol.

I always liked eating in all the little pizza places that are scattered around everywhere, myself. Other than that...I didn't eat out much...so I'm not much help there.

I never did much that would interest tourists. I went to the Empire State Building...once. But that was for a job interview. Most of the time I just went to City College or a local park or the mall on...wtf is it..32nd? Something like that...and hung out with friends.

Oh, one thing that impressed me was the movie theaters. I dunno if they would seem huge to you, but to me (The town I live in has 3 rather small screens in its ONE theater) it was enormous. I couldn't get over the fact that they needed escalators in them! Hehe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 8 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #5

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! OOOH!!

Come to the Bronx, maybe go to a Yankee game. Ooh yeah, go to the top of the Empire State Building. Ride in one of those horse carriage thingys. Shop like crazy! A place I reccommend to eat is a sports bar on Chambers Street called Mudville 9. Take a ride on a ferry! oooooooooh *squeals* you're coming!!!

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Jan 8 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #6

"Oh, one thing that impressed me was the movie theaters. I dunno if they would seem huge to you, but to me (The town I live in has 3 rather small screens in its ONE theater) it was enormous. I couldn't get over the fact that they needed escalators in them! Hehe"

I'm used to huge movie theaters, but there was this one that could 'instill shock and awe' better than the US army EVER could.

The AMC empire.

Yes, that's the name of it. And it definitelly IS an empire. Something like 8 floors, over i think something like 2 square BLOCKS of movie theater, god-knows how many concession stands and movie screens, their own GIFT SHOP, a mini-mall, and RESTAURANTS. This place was like an AIRPORT (with screens instead of gates)!

So Pixie, if you're a movie person, i suggest this place. One ticket and you can spend the entire day watching ANY movie you want, basically. You could spend your entire TRIP there if you wanted.

"I always liked eating in all the little pizza places that are scattered around everywhere, myself."

Completely forgot about those. Yeah, if you're going to eat out and want something quick, cheap, and relatively healthy, try any pizza place, deli, or something like that that're literally EVERYWHERE.

And SSAoDT reminded me: don't spend all your time in Manhattan (as tempting as it is, because we're OBVIOUSLY the best burrough in the ciy tongue.gif ).

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 8 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

I rarely left Manhattan. Once I went to Staten Island (only cause I was riding the ferry to see the statue of liberty), and once I somehow ended up in Queens with a friend of mine. Don't blame me, she was navigating. We didn't leave the subway station, though.

And the movie theater Gerb is talking about is the one I went to. Ha, and I thought that was an average size for a movie theater cause it was the only one we ever went to (stfu Gerb, I'm not a tourist). It's also where I had my very first date ever. biggrin.gif

I don't know what there is to even DO outside of Manhattan. I guess you'd have to depend on SSAODT for info like that. blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 8 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #8

The Six Train.

The Bronx Mall Go there get Bronx info!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Jan 9 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 644

If you ever find yourself in Queens, visit Elmhurst and look for a place called "Bang". It's a top notch vietnamese place, really authentic. Plus there isa chinese grocery right by so you can get some cool stuff, get some gyoza it's rather good.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
sammi
post Jan 9 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #10

As cliched as it sounds, the world is coming to an end. *nods*

Member No.: 652

MY CITYYYY TOOOO~! *hugs NYC* wub.gif YAY~! Uhm, what to do in NYC............ Wh00tness for Manhattan, but do be sure to visit Brooklyn, and the Bronx. I personally like Brooklyn a ton, and people are super friendly and nice there, unlike *some* NYers inside Manahattan. Although Bronx people are plenty nice too, I just like Brooklyn better. No particular reason really, just do... Probably because I've just spent more time in Brooklyn than the Bronx. If the Yankees were still playing at this time of the year, I would've suggested a Yankee game too, but they're not, so, uhm... Oh well... ^^;

If you're looking for really good pizza, go to Mimi's Pizzeria on like, 85th and Lexington Avenue, because that's personally my favorite, as far as I've been exposed to pizza in the city. And as for other good resturaunts, depending on your budget, there are tons of really great places to eat. There are tons of Starbucks all over the place, but the one I normally go to is around 78th and Lexington Avenue, I think. I generally don't look much at street signs, I just sort of know where things are, but it's definately on Lexington in the upper 70s. There's a place called Lili's Noodle Shop which has awesome Asian-fusion sort of stuff, and Ruby Foo's, if you can afford it, is really really good too... There's also a place near where you live, I think, Gerb, that's Japanese. I can't remember the name, but it's on 95th and Madison Avenue. Maybe you know, Gerb...? My second-fave Japanese place just closed, so that's no good. Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty more places I could come up with, so if you need specifics or more recommendations, just PM me and I'll be more than willing to help you out. ^_~

The one really great thing about Manhattan is it's very logical and grid-like until you get way downtown where everything sort of gets smooshed together into the bottom.... It's relatively easy to navigate, and as long as you know the street and avenue, you're all set - just hop in a cab. Often times, cab drivers know the really important places that they go to often, and sometimes even know resturaunts, depending. Most of them are actually really friendly and interesting people to talk to, with very diverse backgrounds, tho' many come from the Middle East. Very cool people to talk to. If you want to go for the whole international-ishy experience, I suggest going to Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho and Greenwich Village (which ROCKS, btw) because those areas are just SO much fun to wander around and do stuff. There's a kinda cool resturaunt in the Village called the Cowgirl Hall of Fame, which has really great burgers if you're into that thing. Funky fun decorations. happy.gif

And of course, the touristy stuff is pretty fun if you've never done it before. Definately do the Statue of Liberty, like Gerb said, and if you want to get a feel for the entire city, a ferry ride or bus tour as a general intro are pretty inclusive of everything. Of course, the Empire State Building, and if you have time, Ellis Island and / or Times Square / 42nd Street is much fun. ALSO - there's a Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum down in Times Square, on 42nd, so if you like stuff like that, that's open. The New Victory Theatre, right across the street from Madame Tussaud's usually has really fun performances and plays, depending on the time you go. And if you like MTV, there's also the MTV studios down there and their little store. I think it's around 40th or so...? The Theatre District in general is a ton of fun tho', so go to a good musical or play and you'll have a great time practically guarenteed.

On the topic of New Yorkers, as well.... Most are very friendly, nice people. The only thing I would watch out for is 1) business folks who couldn't care less about anything besides their work, normally categorized with a briefcase, suit, tie, and coffee cup in the morning and 2) generally cranky-looking people. I don't mean to stereotype, but it's true... People in the morning and end of the day can be really irked sometimes, so be warned there are a few out there, but the majority of us are a friendly, helpful lot. Many are chatterboxes, like this post seems to be displaying perfectly. biggrin.gif Also, another thing I thought I might mention is the topic of pickpockets, since no one seems to have brought it up yet. Keep an eye on your wallet / bag or whatever you'll be carrying around. Pickpockets generally have a good sense about who's a tourist and who isn't, so they aren't likely to pick someone from the area. I got $20 taken off of me one time in Times Square even with my coat pockets zipped, I believe, but other areas to watch out for in particular include Chinatown, the subway, MTA buses / public transportation; crowded, busy places in general... Just a note, which I thought you might want to be aware of. ph34r.gif

Wow, that turned out to be one long post... blink.gif Anyways, I think you get the general idea. If you need any more suggestions 'n stuff, just PM or IM me and I'll be happy to help out. Have a great trip and enjoy~! cool.gif

--------------------
Krys owns my n00by arse! Twinkie-eating chinchilla. Fear meh! >D Official possessed blueberry of the Evil Empire.Official tree-hugger hugger of the Hug Cult. <3

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 9 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #11

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

QUOTE (sammi @ Jan 9 2004, 01:02 AM)
I suggest going to Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho and Greenwich Village ...

I live next to there, the London version of course. The original.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jan 9 2004, 09:59 AM
Post #12

Cheers you guys! biggrin.gif There's loads of stuff to do there. Thanks for the tip about The Statue of Liberty. That'll save us wasting a day smile.gif I am going with Ed again but I've got to spend 3 days in a conference (boooooo :*) but we are going for 7 days/nights so I should be able to fit in stuff to 4 days unsure.gif

Is there anywhere I SHOULDN'T go? You mentioned Queens. Where are the 'bad' or 'rough' areas we might wanna avoid.

Also, thanks for the info about the cinema. Ed is a BIG movie fan so it'll give him something to do while I am selling books biggrin.gif

Are there are sports going on at the end of the June? What about baseball, basket ball or football? I MIGHT be going to Chicago at the end of July and wanted to catch a Bears game but I'll be damned if I know what the US sport seasons are rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Jan 9 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #13

<3

Member No.: 806

Hey I live in NY too!

Oh, but I live in Upstate NY...not the city. I've lived here...how long? and I've never been to NYC...

Sad, isn't it? unsure.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 9 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #14

The Six Train.

Bad areas..um.. South (I mean deep south) Bronx. But there's not much to see there, so you won't have to worry about going.

Sammi... HOLLA BACK!! lol. Where in nyc you live?

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:

+Quote Post
sammi
post Jan 9 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #15

As cliched as it sounds, the world is coming to an end. *nods*

Member No.: 652

I'm a lil' old Manhattanite, but ehhh, it doesn't suit me much. happy.gif; Unless I'm down in Chinatown, the Village, Soho or one of the boroughs or West Side, like Broadway. MUCH fun, 'tis Broadway and all the other boroughs... If I ever continue living in NYC, which I do and probably will keep the same opinion, I'd move down more. The Upper East Side is far too boring and stuffy for me. laugh.gif *needs excitement and social life*

I also forgot something else, btw, Pixiegoth. Near my house is this Italian resturaunt called Gastronomia, which has one of the best deals I have ever found in the city, and does huuuge portions, and usually sends me a free desert for some reason, so if you want, they do take out and have a casual place and then a more formal place, which I'm sure is nice, but I just like the small casual place and haven't been to the more formal place. But anyways, it's really inexpensive for NYC, and they give you a ton for your money, as well as free delivery if you're from East 65th St. to East 96th St. If you ever need to give them a ring, their tele. # is (212) 861-1533, noon to 10:30 PM, or Betw. 80th & 81st, 1542 Second Ave. Very good stuff. And if you're looking for good Vietnamese food, try Miss Saigon on 3rd Avenue betw. 80th and 81st, on the East side of the street. Chinam 28 isn't half bad if you're looking for Viet. and Chinese in one resturaunt, and they're pretty inexpensive. And as for Turkish food, which I like quite a bit, Uskudar remains my favorite, betw. 73rd & 74th on 2nd Ave. Maz Mezcal is very good for mexican, 'n their webby is mazmezcal.com Oh, and if you have the time, Baluchi's is FANTASTIC Indian food... I absolutely love their stuff... ph34r.gif And their lunches are pretty cheap during the week especially (betw. 81st & 82nd, on 2nd Ave.).. In general, there are great resturaunts on 2nd Avenue.... Wow, I'm like, a resturaunt whore... blink.gif *giggle* Ah well, now you know my favorites...

--------------------
Krys owns my n00by arse! Twinkie-eating chinchilla. Fear meh! >D Official possessed blueberry of the Evil Empire.Official tree-hugger hugger of the Hug Cult. <3

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jan 12 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #16

Thanks again for all your info smile.gif I'll keep a note of this thread and resurrect it nearer the time to see if anything's been missed biggrin.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jan 12 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #17

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

Just as I return...she leaves me again sad.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jan 12 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jan 12 2004, 11:10 AM)
Just as I return...she leaves me again sad.gif

Silly girl, I'm not going until June! rolleyes.gif Don't worry, you ain't getting rid of me THAT easily wink.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 21 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #19

I'm actually going in November now. 7th to 14th to be exact smile.gif I can't wait. It's all so exciting. We are flying with Continental from Manchester to Newark and we are staying at the Hyatt Grand Central wink.gif The conference is BSR Conference 2004 in case you're interested (but I seriously doubt it laugh.gif)

3 questions:

1. Does anyone know if I'll be able to ice skate in Central Park at that time of year?
2. Does anyone know of a good tattoo studio. So far these have been recommended;

Sacred Tattoo
Triple X Tattoo
Dare Devil Tattoo (Brad Fink)

3. Any other suggestions on nice things to do that tourists don't usually see?

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Sep 21 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #20

The Six Train.

I'm not sure about the skating...depends on the weather.

Umm... when you walk through the streets of Manhattan, don't just look at the stores, look at the buildings. Most of them are beautiful.
If you're anywhere around 56th-59th streets, keep an eye out for me... biggrin.gif I'll be around 9th, 10th, 5th, and Madison Avenues usually.

Don't fear the tap water, it tastes good! laugh.gif
And don't fall for tourist trap restaurants...the ones on the side streets are usually cheaper, and emptier.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Sep 21 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #21

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Jan 8 2004, 09:08 PM)
About hotdog vendors: they're honestly not that bad. Just watch what you buy from them. Pretzels are virtually (I'm saying 'virtually' because, althought I've never heard of the pretzels making anoyne sick EVER, it might have happened. I really doubt it though.)

That dumb bum in the whitehouse choked on one and was sick, but then he would. wink.gif.

Have a great time Pixie

+Quote Post
Pab
post Sep 21 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #22

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

Do not, under any circumstances, tell the customs officers you believe in freedom of thought.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Sep 21 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #23

I can't answer #2, but as for #1, just go to the ice-skating rinks, which *will* be open in November. Even if, beyond all odds, there's any natural frozen bit of water by early Novemeber, it won't be frozen enough to skate on.

As for #3, well...... what generally were you thinking of doing. It would take forever to try and list *all* the things you can do here, but no matter what you want to do, there's a place somewhere in the city where you can do it.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Sep 22 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Sep 21 2004, 11:32 PM)
I can't answer #2, but as for #1, just go to the ice-skating rinks, which *will* be open in November. Even if, beyond all odds, there's any natural frozen bit of water by early Novemeber, it won't be frozen enough to skate on

Sorry, I actually meant the rink in Central Park. I didn't mean some random bit of ice in the park laugh.gif

Thanks for everyone's advice and input. I'll stay away from street food vendors (after a nasty experience Ed had at Download this year) and we might even have a native to show us around (from another board) but we haven't decided anything yet.

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Sep 22 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #25

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

OK peeps, another request for information. This time for NY. I'm off next June with work for another US conference (something to do with the UN I believe!)
I need advice on places to stay, things to do, places to eat, go out, etc., etc.
Any ideas??? 

I personally love the metropolitan and any sort of show in NYC. One of my favorite shows is De Le Guarda, it's interactive and don't go there if you're afraid of tribal sounding music and getting wet. Otherwise it's loads of fun - I highly reccomend it.

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and noticed Chicago and Rent are out -- those are really good musicals to go see as well. Take a walk in Central park and up and down Broadway. I personally didn't like Planet Hollywood -- but I love the Hard Rock Cafe.

Some of the best restaurants there are the little side ones that you never really hear about so you kinda have to risk it.

Hmmm...that's all I can think of for now and I have to go but have fun and good luck!!
I'll let you know if I think of anything else to do. smile.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:59 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!