Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back From The Concert, David Bowie is SO great. Calgary is evil
oobunnie
post Jan 22 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #1

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 64

Okay so first my rant about how very horrible Calgary is. We had to drive down from Edmonton where I live, which is only about an 1 1/2 drive (driving how we drive, for most people I think its something like 3 hours). Well after proving our friends and family wrong and making it down there without dying in a crash; we were pretty pleased. But then came the Calgary traffic. It tooks us 45 mins. to make it to the place we were staying. Not because there was alot of cars or accidents, but because I dont think anyone in that bloody city understands how to drive or the difference between a red and green light. So finally we make it to where were staying. Later on we head out for some food before we go. Believe it or not, after ordering it only took them 90 minutes to bring us our food, yes that fast in a place with only 10 or so other people dinning. Then it was onto the C-train (LRT thing) to take us to the Saddledome. Now you might think as the train stops right at the saddledome, they might name the stop Sadlledome. But why do logical things like that?! So we ask the driver which stop is the Saddledome, she tells us and asks where were from. We tell her Edmonton, and I think she gave us the worst look I've ever gotten for reasons unknown.
So fine we make it to concert finally and head over to the doors to get in, but for some reason they decided to let half the door people take breaks 20 minutes before the concert starts. At this point all I can think is "What kind of logic do this people go by, really nothing in this city makes sense". We decide rather then buying t-shirts, programs or whatever we'll go and find our seats (mostly because we didnt want to risk more of these people's brilliance and be late.). Which is to bad because I never bothered to see who was opening for him, and it turned out to be Macy Gray. So after the concert we go to call for our ride, have a smoke and then go back in to get programs n' stuff. However for some reason they decided without notifying or putting up signs, that once you left you couldnt come back in, even if you showed your tickets. So the door lady wouldnt let us go back in to buy our stuff (that was probably what miffed me the most I must say). I would go on to rant about the return trip, leaving in the morning, but Its all along the small lines as the arival stuff.

However not all was bad. Bowie was awesome. His vioce, proformance, everything he did was just damn awesome. Best concert I've ever seen. From the classics to his new reality stuff, just great, all of it.
Highlight- After having the crowd sing along to a song. He said "well you did that so good I'm going to let you sing the next song" after about 30 seconds into China girl he got back to the mic a said "Well that was f*ckin tragic".
Also the Songs Fame, I'm Afraid of Americans, Cactus (cover of the pixies song) really stood out.
Bowie's bass player and back up singer Gail Ann Dorsey was amazing as usual, and I cant wait for her cd to come out.

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jan 22 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Ugh! Don't tell me that! I'm applying for school at the Uof C for next year!

I've heard that Calgary rush hour starts @ 7 a.m. and goes until 10a.m. and then starts again @ 3:00 and goes until 7:00. Yikes!

Definitely getting a bus pass if I end up getting accepted to that school.

I don't really listen to David Bowie, but it sounded like a good concert. Yay!

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Ocean!
post Jan 23 2004, 02:52 AM
Post #3

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 745

Lucky duck. I wanted to go. Personally, I think that Calgary is easier to navigate around than Edmonton. My sister lives there, and she never complains. (I live in Fort Mac)

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Jan 23 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #4

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

I think part of the main thing about the driving, was it didnt appear the lights were timed. Here in Edmonton, the light before the light your at will turn green slighty before your light does; allowing traffic to move smoothly. However we had to sit at lights for long periods of time because only one or two cars could through. Aswell as the fact that cars and buses kept turning through even though they had a red light. As for navigating, I dont see how that could be as in Edmonton all the streets are by number and are thus easy to find, however in Calgary you get things like Crowsnest SW or something. I suppose a large part of it might depend on where you grow up. But I had an easier time driving around LA then I did Calgary.
Fort Mac, now theres an easy place to get around. Pretty to. Not much on the entertainment side from what I saw.

And Jaq, why not the U of A. Come on we now have Flamingo's in our mall.

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
antagony
post Jan 25 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #5

Has too much time on their hands

Group: New Members
Member No.: 560

I don't think I've ever heard any good things about Calgary. My mom lived there for a few years and still talks about how much she hated it.

And I'm going to see Bowie too! Teh awesomeness! Just another month or so...

--------------------
THE SKY'S GONE OUT!

Urban Freakshow now has a forum // Do you blog here often?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 02:09 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!