> Well, That Was Odd..., My cat's apparent sex change
Tigersong
post Jan 31 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 752

So.

I had a very odd appointment with the vet today. It turns out, my cat, Hushpad, is a "he" and not a "she" as I have been under the impression for the last four months.

When I picked him up for the very first time, I looked under his tail and said, "Yep, he's a boy." But then I looked at the papers and saw "female" marked down, so I just assumed that I didn't know my animal anatomy and was getting what appeared to be testicles mixed up with some other external female genitalia.

So I took him to the vet, and the vet didn't say anything about it. Hushpad got marked down as a female. I don't even know if she looked under the tail... she was checking things like respiration, listening to the digestive tract, that sort of thing.

Anyway, I took him in to get his rabies shot today, but the vet I was going to normally is away on a conference and so I got another vet to look at Hushpad instead. I was referring to Hushpad as "her" as per my usual habit, when the vet said, "Um... this cat is a male. On the bright side, it costs about half as much to neuter as to spay, because it's less invasive."

I was kind of like... um... what?

So anyway, the short story is, I'm not terribly impressed with the first vet I had... you'd think that'd be something you should check out with a new kitten brought in, but... *shrugs*. Anyway I felt quite embarassed by the whole thing.

But the most interesting part is... it really shouldn't matter... it's just a cat, afterall, and I'm sure *it* doesn't care... but it's funny how I've placed very female anthropomorphisms in my dealing with Hushpad. It's a strange psychological switch I have to make, which is interesting. I'm placing gender stereotypes on my *cat* for goodness sake. Even the terms of endearment I've come to place on him... and everytime I go to use a pronoun, I always want to say "her" instead of "him." As I told my fiancee, though, this, I'm sure, is nothing compared to the feelings that a parent must go through with a transgendered child! Although, as the vet pointed out, I suppose if it really bothered me that much (which I seriously doubt it will), I could always go on treating Hushpad as if he's female... which is kind of bizarre, but I guess I see where he's coming from. Although I'm pretty sure I'll deal just fine. smile.gif

It's all very strange, that is all. And quite amusing.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jan 31 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #2

A monster of someone elses creation...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 873

Oh! The poor cat will have some sorta crisis or "catastrophe" over this! blink.gif

I had a cat called Percy who was female, my Mum was most embarrassed when the vet pointed out that Percy was a she - my Mum apologised and just told him that she was my cat! The reason we called her Percy is because she was a stray from the farm where I used to live and for ages she was just called "Pussy" then my Mum got all prudish about yelling "Pussy" out of the back door when it was time for the cat to come in so I changed it too "Percy" as it kinda sounds like pussy and I didn't want the poor cat to get confused!!

So, there you go!! Anyway, I'm sure you still love you little furry friend just the same! smile.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jan 31 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #3

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I had a hamster called furby who I thought was male until 2 days before she died. I still have no idea how she died, I was 15 and we had taken her to the vets while we went on holiday because she was ill and all I know is that she died on the day we went to Portugal and I didn't know until a week later when we got back, I was crushed to say the least. I didn't have the guts to look at her once we got her back either. I'm pretty sure a hamster that's been dead a week would be kinda ooky to say the least.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 31 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I bought two mice once, so they wouldn't get lonely, well i thought i got two females (two males tend to fight) all was going well with the little critters until one day there weren't two anymore but three....turns out one of them was in fact male, so eventually i got rid of the mother and baby and was left with the father (fred) who lived to a ripe old age of 4 1/2 years old....could have been 5 years...who knows? tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jan 31 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #5

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

rodents are buggers for random sex changes just to breed tho...it's all that frog DNA!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Jan 31 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #6

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

we adopted my cat, broomstick, when he started coming to our house as a stray, obviously underfed and unwell. we thought he was a she too and refered to him as such. we had him checked over by a vet who agreed that he was a girl. Then, a few months later, we took him to another vet to get some vaccinations and he pointed out that "she" was in fact a neutered male. we'd had broomstick a few months by then and we got over it ok smile.gif

so did he for the record, although he still answers to the name patricia for some obscure reason...

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Jan 31 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #7

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

You know, I never had a problem distinguishing my cat's gender even when they were little.

I remember when I first got Max, I was 6 years old. After bugging my mom the entire shopping trip, we got him. As we were getting myself and max (who was unnamed at the time) into the car, I blurted out "His name is Max!" She responds saying "You know it could be a girl, what if its a girl?" I in a joking way said "Maxine then" Sure enough though, I was right and he was my sweet wonderful Maxwell for years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Jan 31 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 31 2004, 02:22 PM)
I bought two mice once, so they wouldn't get lonely, well i thought i got two females (two males tend to fight) all was going well with the little critters until one day there weren't two anymore but three....turns out one of them was in fact male, so eventually i got rid of the mother and baby and was left with the father (fred) who lived to a ripe old age of 4 1/2 years old....could have been 5 years...who knows? tongue.gif

Ahhh... I want mouse babies!! Oh, that's not sounding too good... I want a baby mouse!!

*mutters to self* Yeah, that's ok and doesn't make you sound like a deviant - not that sort of deviant anyway!! blink.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
jicama
post Jan 31 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #9

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

hush is a boy?! blink.gif no way! gnah. well, if it makes you feel better, i thought pip was a boy at first!

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Jan 31 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #10

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

aw... transgender kitty... oh well it's still adorable no matter what gender it is! laugh.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Jan 31 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #11

Rabid Saskatchewanian

QUOTE (jicama @ Jan 31 2004, 03:25 PM)
hush is a boy?! blink.gif no way! gnah. well, if it makes you feel better, i thought pip was a boy at first!

I know! Isn't is bizarre to have to start thinking in those terms? *shakes head confused.* I just wish the first vet had told me the first time. It's more that I'm unimpressed with her apparent lack of observance, more than anything. Wait... with pip... when did you figure out her gender? I remember thinking she was a boy that first night as well... did the vet point it out?

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Feb 1 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Jan 31 2004, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 31 2004, 02:22 PM)

Ahhh... I want mouse babies!! Oh, that's not sounding too good... I want a baby mouse!!

*mutters to self* Yeah, that's ok and doesn't make you sound like a deviant - not that sort of deviant anyway!! blink.gif

thats nothing, i bought a hamster once that turned out to be pregnant, it was buy one hamster, get 8 free!! they were so cute (even cuter than adult hamster) tongue.gif but then i had to sell them or they'd start humping and the idea of having lots of inbred hamsters didn't appeal...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Feb 1 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #13

<3

Member No.: 806

Same thing happened to my cousin. Now we call...er..whatsitsname...a he-she!

"c'mere you little he-she!" It's kind of funny to say: "C'mere stupid kitty! Yes you are such a stupid kitty!" and then watch as the cat comes over and purrs and thinks you're being nice...tehe. I love cats. Such cute animals. *hugs Mokey (my cat)*

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Trident
post Feb 1 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #14

Group: Scriptkiddies
Member No.: 903

That cat's gonna need therapy tongue.gif
Being told he was a girl for months. Poor baby.

--------------------
I'm a scriptkiddie and I should never come back to these nice boards because I don't deserve to ever speak to the people here again. =)

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Feb 1 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #15

Rabid Saskatchewanian

QUOTE (Dreams On Hiatus @ Jan 31 2004, 07:50 PM)
It's kind of funny to say: "C'mere stupid kitty! Yes you are such a stupid kitty!" and then watch as the cat comes over and purrs and thinks you're being nice...tehe.

Yay! I'm not the only one who does this! "Yes you ARE a stupid kitty, That's RIGHT, you ARE." (in a cooing voice). My fiancee always says I'm being mean when I say this. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

+Quote Post
magikeyes14
post Feb 1 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #16

in the end there is only me.. *CENSORED*

Member No.: 492

i had a dog named Andromida. I dont think she knew what gender she was.. she woudlnt answer to her name.. only to Andy blink.gif it was slightly weird cuz i would be like "come here gurl,come here" and she would sit there staring at me like i was crazy... then when i asked her to come with just her name she would run at me like! dry.gif

i had a couple mice once. Midnight (gurl) and Brownie (boy) they ended up haveing wild monkey sex and had a litter of babys. 7 of them!!! then right after she had them, they did it again! and igot 10 more! so i had like..19 mice!!! then my next door neighbor told me his snake was hungry. dry.gif No i didnt give the snake the mouse, i just let brownie loose into the canyon behind my house. then i had a hole bunch of crazy baby mice! they tried to eat eachother!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif sad.gif it was sad becuase i had to sell them all or let them loose. only a few died sad.gif it was sad

--------------------
Forever Forbidden
take me into the darkness..........

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Feb 1 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 1 2004, 12:49 AM)
thats nothing, i bought a hamster once that turned out to be pregnant, it was buy one hamster, get 8 free!! they were so cute (even cuter than adult hamster) tongue.gif but then i had to sell them or they'd start humping and the idea of having lots of inbred hamsters didn't appeal...

I'm not sure that rodents have inbreeding issues - and I don't mean on a moral level - they do it all the time!! huh.gif

Anyway, by now I think we could safely say you'd be over-run with small and furries!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Feb 2 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Feb 1 2004, 08:21 PM)
I'm not sure that rodents have inbreeding issues

really? and how do you think lemmings came into being? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Feb 2 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #19

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

The good thing about rats is... You will know, believe me...

laugh.gif I got bored. See? You would know pretty damn quick wink.gif (His side is shaved there, he had a tumor removed ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 2 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #20

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I once had a kitty named Jason.

A female kitty.

I named her after my best friend's older brother. I had such a crush on him. I was only four...and they told me Jason was a girl, but that's still the name I chose for her.

I actually forgot that Jason was a girl until she had kittens. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Feb 2 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 2 2004, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Feb 1 2004, 08:21 PM)
I'm not sure that rodents have inbreeding issues

really? and how do you think lemmings came into being? tongue.gif

Lemmings?? I don't know... is this a trick question?? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Feb 2 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #22

put the aerial on your head

Member No.: 89

Has anyone ever noticed that male cats and female cats have distincive faces. My male cat just looks male (even though I think he's gay) and my fmale cat has a lovly cute girly face....maybe I'm just weird blink.gif

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post Feb 2 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #23

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Member No.: 822

Faeries - I have to say that is true. I had a kitten until a few weeks ago when i had to give him away coz i was moving to a place where u cant have animals and he (Ptolemey) had a very manly face. I think its coz he had a big boofy chin and just kinda looked beefy in the face. *misses her widdle Ptolem-man* maybe i can have a cat again someday.

As for telling the gender of cats, it is kinda difficult coz female cats kinda do have this 'outside' bit. I have no idea when it comes to telling whether a cat is male or female. My friends adopted a year old cat who the owners believed was a girl and they named it Sarah. When my friends got it they soon discovered it was male. I can understand mixing up a neutered male cat with a female but Sarah had umm very manly 'bits' lol. laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Feb 4 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #24

Rabid Saskatchewanian

QUOTE (talking to faeries @ Feb 2 2004, 08:28 AM)
Has anyone ever noticed that male cats and female cats have distincive faces. My male cat just looks male (even though I think he's gay) and my fmale cat has a lovly cute girly face....maybe I'm just weird blink.gif

Well, the above vet said that his first clue was that the cat's face was very masculine. *shrugs*. Ah well. Probably different musculature, since their designed for fighting and such.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 02:05 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!