Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Castaway: A Lost Reference
effabledan
post Feb 10 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #1

More proficient guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 938

I just happened across your site, and I noticed you mentioned Castaway Island. If I am not having a failure in memory, isn't/wasn't that the British rip of Survivor? I mean, since it's making a statement about Americans I think part of humour is lost on the readers... since most Americans have no knowledge of that show.

Hell if I know, most Americans are addicted to crap like survivor... so they don't understand the difference between the two shows.

Just an observation... and you forgot to mention that 98.2% of American males list masturbation as their number one hobby... haha.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 10 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There was a suggestion of the Castaway series in that animation, but the term 'Survivor' doesn't really speak of relaxing holidays does it?

I used Castaway mainly because the term is romanticised as being an idyllic seperation from the stresses and strains of daily life, balanced with the reality that life everywhere is hard and we have a lot of cushions from reality in the modern world. I like the dual interpretations of the word (romantic versus reality), the fact that there was a TV series with the name was just a little bonus and I don't think you really need to know about it to enjoy the animation.

And yes, I do actually think about this kind of thing when I'm writing the animations, I don't just make it up afterwards! smile.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
effabledan
post Feb 11 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #3

More proficient guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 938

Thats alot more of a direct reference... haha. I mean, usually when I watch things there is a duplicity in the meaning. I rather expect it most of the time.... just another example of me digging to deeply into words.

I understand that you don't randomly make things up, I just rather expected it to be a play on the entire Castaway... your use was, I'd suspect rather congruous with the use by the shows creator... I just didn't really expect it would be so. *shrug*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 07:28 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!