IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Should I Do?, Next year
Alright, here's the deal, I've applied to a bunch of schools for next year, but if I don't get in to any of them what do you propose I do?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
Jaq
post Feb 10 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Took this grammar!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 165

A semi serious, semi daft question. Figure Issues couldn't handle it, nor could daft, so Daily Life, here it comes!

I'm stumped... So I'm going to let anonymous strangers decide the trajectory of my life!

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Feb 10 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Either teach English or the Au pair thing. I had a great time travelling Europe over a year ago now, and if you can afford it, then do it. Becuase once you settle down you may never get the chance to do it again.

Good luck with what you chose (come to Cardiff) wink.gif

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Feb 10 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

I think you should chain yourself to a tree in Brazil. Though do be sure to have access to the internet.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 10 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Totally agree - the going overseas to teach English will be mad scary at first, but will be an amazing experience on the whole. Au Pairing is alright, but it sounds too much like hard work for bugger all cash. The only plus side is that you end up being in Europe, but in the same breath, there's a helluva lot of places in Europe I wouldn't want to be for love not money.

Plus, the teaching English overseas may well make you a more attractive proposition to a school, so you can reapply the following year with better chances, n'est pas?

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 10 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I said Au Pairing but the teaching thing would work to then you get to visit us lot. But I wouldn't go visit that mad welsh git Spacehappy especially if he asks you to wear his fleece! ph34r.gif blink.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 10 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #6

Took this grammar!

I would really really really like to teach ESL overseas, but my parents are all concerned about money, the cost of living, me getting back into school if I take a year off, me being away from Canada and contracting some horrible disease etc. etc. etc. Since they'd be fronting the money for the training (I have none...) I kind of have to assuage their fears before I can go.

Has anyone done anything similar? Do you know of anyone that's done something similar? Any advice from those that have been there and done that would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Feb 10 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #7

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Jaq @ Feb 10 2004, 07:32 PM)
I would really really really like to teach ESL overseas, but my parents are all concerned about money, the cost of living, me getting back into school if I take a year off,  me being away from Canada and contracting some horrible disease etc. etc. etc.  Since they'd be fronting the money for the training (I have none...) I kind of have to assuage their fears before I can go.

Has anyone done anything similar?  Do you know of anyone that's done something similar?  Any advice from those that have been there and done that would be greatly appreciated.

I did the course. I was supposed to go over to Japan in Jan. but my father went all protective and wouldnt let me go. sad.gif

However I have talked to alot of people that have done it. I could answer some of your question a bit better if I new where you were planning to go. Though as far as I've heard you shouldnt go over planning to make money. Every person I know thats done it says they havent come back with alot of cash, but the experiences were interesting.

As for my vote. Well there wasnt a hope to get into any school except Calgary choice. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 10 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (oobunnie @ Feb 10 2004, 01:46 PM)
However I have talked to alot of people that have done it. I could answer some of your question a bit better if I new where you were planning to go. Though as far as I've heard you shouldnt go over planning to make money. Every person I know thats done it says they havent come back with alot of cash, but the experiences were interesting.

I plan on going to South Korea, but anywhere in Asia would be fine with me. I don't really want to make money, just enough to support myself. I want to go mostly for the experience.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 10 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #9

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

my friend is going to Sri Lanka for 3 months on the 7th of March to teach ESL, she gas no experience but she's going with an organisation that is for gap year students and they provide food and accommodation at really cheap prices and all she really had to pay for was flights.

If you can, go, it would be awesome, I kinda wish I'd done the gap year thing!

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Feb 10 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #10

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I kind of like the international relief organization. I'm reading a book about it now, and it sounds like a good way to engage yourself in something, have fun, and help people.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Feb 10 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #11

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

You should come to London and geek it up with me!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 11 2004, 01:55 AM
Post #12

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Feb 10 2004, 05:22 PM)
You should come to London and geek it up with me!

That's not on the poll!

Okay... I'll choose the one that's closest to that... au pair in Europe for Sean. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jicama
post Feb 11 2004, 04:22 AM
Post #13

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Group: New Members
Member No.: 46

i picked the basement option. that way we can both be like stereotypical nerds together again!

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 11 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #14

Took this grammar!

Great.

So first place as of now is teaching overseas at 6 votes, but more than a quarter of you would rather see me bald and attached to a large arboreal structure somewhere in South America.

Oh yeah. I can feel the lurve. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jicama
post Feb 11 2004, 05:48 AM
Post #15

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Group: New Members
Member No.: 46

love?! i'm offended! i picked what i did out of immature selfish short sighted spite! tongue.gif

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 11 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #16

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

ESL is the way forward I think, I had a friend who was fairly shy and not very confident, he went off to Japan for a year, stayed teaching there for two and now lives in Sweden and is a very happy chappy. It's hard work but living in a different culture has got to be worth it.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Feb 11 2004, 01:29 PM
Post #17

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I'm a stickler for good grades; though my grades as of the moment are low for me. If you have a chance to do them over then take a crack at it. I know that if I could I would.

But if all else fails you can try to figure out how to speak monkey. laugh.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Feb 11 2004, 01:29 PM
Post #18

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (jicama @ Feb 10 2004, 11:47 PM)
love?! i'm offended! i picked what i did out of immature selfish short sighted spite! tongue.gif

As did I! Plus, I think it would be funny to see you on the news, bald and chained to a tree in Brazil. Mmmm.... protestory goodness! biggrin.gif

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Feb 11 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Jaq @ Feb 11 2004, 01:54 AM)
Okay... I'll choose the one that's closest to that... au pair in Europe for Sean. tongue.gif

/me looks up au pair

Sounds good. Will you work for booze and drugs?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Feb 11 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #20

Light On The Surface

Member No.: 91

*pricks up ears*

Did someone mention booze and drugs? Oh, wait... work... sod that, then...

I said au pair through simple selfishness - I want my own Canadian sidekick! Get yer arse over here, woman...

Reading through the posts, though, it seems like the English teaching might suit you best - especially given your penchant for grammar pedantry (remember the grammar jokes in IRC? No-one else laughed, damnit!!!).

A very close friend of mine went to Japan to do just that, and now he's staying there with his new Japanese girlfriend. You don't get more settled-in than that, really...

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Feb 11 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #21

Took this grammar!

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Feb 11 2004, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (Jaq @ Feb 11 2004, 01:54 AM)
Okay...  I'll choose the one that's closest to that...  au pair in Europe for Sean.  tongue.gif

/me looks up au pair

Sounds good. Will you work for booze and drugs?

and how!

but how would one describe such work experience on a resume?

Au Pair
London, England
Duties: cleaned up after teenager
Salary: food, vodka, pot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 11 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #22

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

In light of what Mata and Inky said about friends gleaning lots from working overseas, I'd just like to reiterate that. In the last two years, I've worked on 3 different continents, and briefly visited another 3 on business. I've had to get by in countries where I didn't speak the language, which though at first terrifying, with hindsight is absolutely brilliant.

I've really learnt an incredible amount about myself and the world around me, and it really has been the chance of a lifetime. I'm waaaay more confident that I was when I left my little comfort zone in England, proffessionally and personally. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Get thee to some bizarre place for a while, and you'll remember it forever. Do it before your bits start to sag and you've got mortgages, husbands and babies.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:52 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!