Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying A Telly Off Ebay
Jonman
post Feb 25 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Blimey. Some cracking deals on TVs on Ebay. Think I might buy me one when I get home. But nervous about blowing a few hundred quid on Ebay, but I'll just have to be a nightmare customer for them...

Check it, aii, lots of good feedback - just can't help feeling that they must be 'off-the-back-of-a-lorry'

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Feb 25 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Engrish Ranguage Student

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 338

Drarok's just bought a keyboard off ebay. It has no markings on any of the keys laugh.gif

What stops people just not bothering to send you what you've paid for? blink.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 25 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Feb 25 2004, 12:42 PM)
Drarok's just bought a keyboard off ebay. It has no markings on any of the keys laugh.gif

What stops people just not bothering to send you what you've paid for? blink.gif

Nominally, the feedback system should stop them from ripping you off - they rip you off, you leave them crappy feedback, so then no-one else bids on their stuff. That's the theory anyway.

The TV folks I'm looking at have over 200 excellent feedbacks, but I'm still nervous. They've got an outlet in Brum though, so I'd go and pick it up in person, and demand to see it working before I pay for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Feb 25 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Engrish Ranguage Student

QUOTE (Jonman @ Feb 25 2004, 08:00 PM)
They've got an outlet in Brum though, so I'd go and pick it up in person, and demand to see it working before I pay for it.

Don't blame you. Plus, if you came to Brum , you and Mrs Jon could come and see Mat and I and go for a pint smile.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 25 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Feb 25 2004, 01:04 PM)
They've got an outlet in Brum though, so I'd go and  pick it up in person, and demand to see it working before I pay for it.

Don't blame you. Plus, if you came to Brum , you and Mrs Jon could come and see Mat and I and go for a pint smile.gif

mmmm, pint.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Feb 25 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Engrish Ranguage Student

QUOTE (Jonman @ Feb 25 2004, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Feb 25 2004, 01:04 PM)
They've got an outlet in Brum though, so I'd go and pick it up in person, and demand to see it working before I pay for it.

mmmm, pint.

Warm, English pint.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
markslut
post Feb 25 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

Ebay can debit the non-posting-sellers card, they instist on one for security from sellers

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Feb 26 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (markslut @ Feb 25 2004, 01:46 PM)
Ebay can debit the non-posting-sellers card, they instist on one for security from sellers

I'm not sure that's true. The reason they need a credit card from sellers is to get their fees. I don't think that they have any jurisdiction over transactions that go balls up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pab
post Feb 26 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

E-BAY SCAM REVEALED:

I'll try to keep it short ....

My mate saw a really nice laptop on ebay (unless it was another one), contacted the seller, who was in Austria, and started the "who pays first, and who sends first, half upfront or what?" malarky ...

As proof of sending, the seller had my mate receive an e-mail from UPS, that was very official looking and quite above-board, and that looked to all the world liek a receipt of a package, so many kilos, pick up at such and such an address and so on ...

He then messenger-serviced the money to the address the guy had given, and started waiting for his comp ....

Needless to say it didnt get there ....

And here is the amazing bit:

The email he got from UPS, which WAS from UPS btw, was not a confirmation of a pick-up .... it was in fact genereated by a bit of software that UPS give their clients, that existing UPS clients use to ORDER pickups .... And indeed the one he got, which had barcodes and everything, wasnt even a request for a pickup ... it was just a petition saying that somebady SHALL WANT (in the future) for something to be picked up ... and UPS hadnt even been asked to make said pick up ... See the point? ... UPS denied everything, and did a "not my problem, mate" ... alledging that the bloke had hacked the software and it wasnt thier problem ...

After a week, the bloke had the gall to put the same 'alleged' comp on e-bay AGAIN, changing his first name to Jose (cheeky little ...) and carried on, happy as larry ... We told e-bay, and they just stuck an asterix under the account name saying "Wanring : repeat offender" and life went on ...

My mate had forked out 1000 euros. Ask him if he buys stuff on e-bay ....

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:35 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!