IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favorite Comic Book Characters, Who're some of yours?
Righteous
post Apr 27 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

I was going through my old stash of comics last night and came across a bunch of really kick-ass comics I hadn't read in years. I read a bunch of Midnight Sons issues I had all but forgotten about. I revisited some of my favorite characters after years of comic book-hiatus.

Of the Midnight Sons, I really like Morbius. He's a badass, but at the same time mellow and chill. I have an issue where he takes on this monster called Bloodbath and miraculously kills him (his body was encased in impenatrable armor). In the same issue, Ghost Rider takes on the Harvester who has the ability to transplant human flesh and organs into himself (he wanted Ghost Rider's skull). Ghost Rider gave him his infamous Penance Stare, which gives you all the pain you've caused a thousandfold.

I've also been a big Spider-Man fan. I've followed his exploits for years. I was also absorbed in Generation X and Gen13 during my early teens. The Punisher has always been mondo bad-ass, waisting criminals and gunning down mobsters and what-not.

Am I the only one here who reads/has read comics? If not, who do you guys like?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Apr 27 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

My favourite characters are from the Sandman comics. Dream, and his relatives Death, Despair, Desire, Delirium, Destiny and Disaster are all really great characters. I also like Jesse from Preacher - when you wield the power of God Himself, you can kick some serious ass.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
MissJade
post Apr 27 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
From: London, England, World, Solar Sysetm, Milky Way, Space!
Member No.: 1,087

ohhh dear..

Well Mara Jade (from many Star Wars comics) completely rocks and is by far the best non-film Star Wars Character.

uhhh I have always Had a Soft spot for Sailor Jupiter and Saturn from Sailor Moon

Suomo/Plum from Chobits never fails to make me giggle. And yay for Tomoyo the 10 (or so) year old Bi Sexual from Card Captor Sakura!

Oh and Asuka and Misato from Eva... those guys rock.

Sorry I like my Female Role Models

--------------------
Is it Madness or just Genius
Visit my site:
user posted image

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Apr 27 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #4

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 27 2004, 06:17 PM)
My favourite characters are from the Sandman comics. Dream, and his relatives Death, Despair, Desire, Delirium, Destiny and Disaster are all really great characters. I also like Jesse from Preacher - when you wield the power of God Himself, you can kick some serious ass.

I with Commiekins on this one I love the Sandman and Preacher. Here's another you might like Sean the Invisibles, slightly odd stories but damn cool and Kingpin (?) and Ragged Robbin rock! biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Apr 28 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

I read a lot of Shade, the Changing Man comics growing up. I have somewhere the first issue when it was published under DC Comics. I desperately wanted to get my hands on issue #2 but never could. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Apr 28 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #6

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

I'm another Sandman fan, but Death and Dream are probably my favourites. The only other characters I can think of that I'm into are Wolverine (who doesn't like Wolverine??) and maybe Judge Dredd, just cause he's cool. I don't really read comics much though. Only cause my boyfriend has lots and I get bored of watching him play computer games tongue.gif

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Apr 29 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

Wolverine's a bad-ass, but there's too much drama surrounding him. I mean, everytime I turn around, there's something major going on in his life. That annoys me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Apr 29 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #8

<3

Member No.: 806

I like Piro, Tohya, and Largo from Megatokyo, Athan from No Ordinary Love, Inu Yasha from ...Inu Yasha, Shari from Rabid Monkeys -- I like Death too, he's funny, umm, Dominick from Wicked Alchemy, aaaand...lessee....Rakne from Spells and Whistles, and Shades from Starcross'd Destiny. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Apr 29 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #9

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

QUOTE (Righteous @ Apr 29 2004, 12:23 AM)
Wolverine's a bad-ass, but there's too much drama surrounding him. I mean, everytime I turn around, there's something major going on in his life. That annoys me.

yeah i guess but i think that's why i like him...no matter how long it is since i read x-men he's always heavily featured so i know what i'm reading about tongue.gif

i like the new x-men graphic novels, have only read parts 1-3 so far though, keep getting distracted by ranma 1/2

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Apr 29 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

I'm still really liking Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider was cool when John Blaze held the mantle, but Dan Kench makes a better Ghost Rider. He's more of a badass. They're making a Ghost Rider movie sometime in the near future and I desperately want to see that. I don't know if Ghost Rider will be John Blaze or Dan Kench. Probably John Blaze. In any case, it should kick major ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jicama
post May 14 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #11

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

i've read a lot of golden age marvel (i like my comics old school cool.gif ), so that's where most of my fav's are, but i can't believe nobody's mentioned the tick! ohmy.gif the tick was my introduction to comics and he will always hold a special place in my heart. i mean, he's NIGH-invounerable!!! and he's got a past every bit as mysterious as wolvies without all the mellow drama!

not that i don't like wolverine, he's got the isolated and full of rage thing going on, plus he's canadian! though i gotta say my favourite x-men are beast and nightcrawler (pre-monk).

and honestly, who *doesn't* love spider-man? it's impossible! it's like dis-liking bacon, or a colourful sunset, or... or... puppies! not loving spider-man is like taking pleasure in kicking cute ickle puppies!

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 14 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #12

Jesse Custer > you.

And from the same comic:

Proinsias Cassidy > everybody.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 14 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #13

I've been brainwashed

Yay! Commiekins!!!! Preacher is brilliant but a bit behind at the moment cause not read it reasontly. I'm still advicing you to get some Invisibles though Sean I is thinking you will like! biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 14 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Cath @ May 14 2004, 11:10 PM)
I'm still advicing you to get some Invisibles though Sean I is thinking you will like! biggrin.gif

I'll tell my college library to buy some. They do whatever I tell them to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 14 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #15

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Sandman was pretty darned amazing. So is Mina from Extraordinary Gentlemen. Nightcrawler is funky whoa.

Have to say Utena's my favorite anime character, and one of my favorite comic/graphic novel/anime/manga/whatever characters overall.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 14 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #16

I've been brainwashed

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 14 2004, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (Cath @ May 14 2004, 11:10 PM)
I'm still advicing you to get some Invisibles though Sean I is thinking you will like! biggrin.gif

I'll tell my college library to buy some. They do whatever I tell them to.

Glad to here it! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post May 15 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #17

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (MissJade @ Apr 27 2004, 03:25 PM)
Well Mara Jade (from many Star Wars comics) completely rocks and is by far the best non-film Star Wars Character.

HEATHEN!!!
ABSOLVE YOUR SINS AND TAKE BACK THESE WORDS OF BLASPHEMY!!!

*ahem*
Mara Jade, while definitely one of the best characters in the Star Wars universe, is vastly inferior to the greatest Jedi ever! I am speaking of course, of Corran Horn, a Jedi who hails from Corellia and had his roots in CorSec.

To those of you unfamiliar with Corran, I insist you drop whatever you're doing, go to the nearest bookstore, once there buy every X-Wing book and I, Jedi. Read them, Cherish them, You can thank me later. biggrin.gif

Ok, as far as I am aware, Corran is not in any comic books, so now I have to say some things that are a bit more on topic.

My favorite comic book characters (that I can think of), in alphanumeric order, are:
Alita, Battle Angel Alita
Kaolla Su, Love Hina
Gambit, Gambit, Several X-Men books
Peter Parker/Spiderman especially the ninja, Various titles, Ninja seen in Marvel Mangaverse

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 15 2004, 04:21 AM
Post #18

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (jicama @ May 14 2004, 04:11 PM)
though i gotta say my favourite x-men are beast and nightcrawler (pre-monk).

Nightcrawler is awesome. He just kicks major ass.

and honestly, who *doesn't* love spider-man?  it's impossible!  it's like dis-liking bacon, or a colourful sunset, or... or... puppies!  not loving spider-man is like taking pleasure in kicking cute ickle puppies!

I read in Wizard the commentary of this one comic writer Warren Ellis who specializes in killing off characters. He said he HATED Spider-Man. His idea was to get around his spider sense by snipering him while he's climbing a building. Plus with his wall-crawling he could be up there for says and have the crows pick at him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post May 15 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #19

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Righteous @ Apr 29 2004, 12:23 AM)

Actually, righteous, if you were to read some more of the recent Ultimate X-Men, you would see that even the writers are becoming bored with too much wolverine, and in fact the same can be said of any wolverine stories since Origin was released. The Ultimate stories dont go shy on good old logan, and he's handy in a fight as always, but the stories are written for a very new reader base who want more emotional involvement than the old comic books. For instance, much of the early series resides in the drafting of very young mutants into a minimal number of existing x-men, where things like parents' fears override a lot of what the institute is trying to do (Kitty Pryde almost gets expelled because she disobeys her mothers orders, iceman gets pulled out and almost helps his parents sue after he gets seriously injured battling sentinels, to name but a few examples), but the overriding storylines deal with the ultimate ethics of the overall goals of the institute, and how they have to compromise and sacrifice just to make progress, even in the face of everyone else, who seem to be dead set on making up the rules as they go. Besides this, the comics are also written by very liberal-minded people, and it shows in the almost sarcastic leftwing approach to politics that the characters take.

Needless to say, you can tell i enjoyed reading the new X-Men, but the same goes for much of modern comics. I couldn't tell you what started it all off, whether it was the introduction of serious stories in the format of the Vertigo line from DC (headlined by everyone's favourite, Sandman), or if it came from a bitter aftertaste in American writers' mouths from today's seemingly oppressive education system... To be honest I could care less why. I'm just very glad that writers have been willing to let the wolverines lie for a while to stand up and actually say something worth reading.

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post May 15 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #20

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Psylocke and Gambit from the X-Men hands down beat anyone else. Gambit... he's Cajun and just plain cool. Psylocke is a bad ass psychic ninja woman, so she's got that going for her. I was never really much into Wolverine... But since I'm here, I might as well ask a question that's been on my mind... I read somewhere that Wolverine's real name was not Logan and that pre-x-men and pre-experiment, he was actually a plantation owner's millato (sp?) son in pre-civil war times... yes? no?

But as far as my actual favorite comic book character goes, I'd really have to go with the amazing Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. No one makes killing look that good or sound that philosophical. No one. That book is, purely and simply, amazing.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 15 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #21

Shut up, noob!

One thing I've noticed comparing X-Men of old vs. X-Men of new (aside from more plot twists and turns then I-95 through Jacksonville) is that back in those days, there was more of a feeling of liberation. Stan "The Man" Lee based the general concept off of the civil rights movement with radicals on either end. There was a sense of civic duty and societal unrest. Now it's all about action figures and Saturday morning cartoons. Perhaps with this loss of passion came all of the new age comic companies who wanted to have passion and outside-the-box entertainment in their comics so they broke off and started anew.

I have a cool idea for a comic that's been in the works for a few years tell me what you think:

Imagine the Earth where any war that could have happened did. The ground is saturated with nuclear, chemical and biological fallout. All of this fallout caused birth defects including mutations. Some of these mutations were superhuman and have wreaked havoc on what's left of the Earth. Then there's a small group of superhumans whose headquarters in in an old mental hospital. Psycho is the world's most powerful telepath/empath/telekinetic/pyrotelekinetic, but he's also somewhat mentally unstable with a bad temper. Now he takes care of his brother Night Shadow who is telekinetic and has a "mental security system" where anyone who attempts to enter his mind is zapped with a psionic bolt. He also has pain-induced metamorphosis where if he's attacked, he'll turn into a murder of crows or something to avoind injury. The third member of the team is Ruckus who can absorb, project and manipulate kinetic energy. So if someone punches him, he can absorb the energy and redirect in in a punch of his own. Makes sense? Anyhow, the three of them protect themselves and others from corporations (who basically own the government and run everything) and other superhumans. I'm calling the book Asylum. What do you guys think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post May 16 2004, 05:15 AM
Post #22

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

It's really close to X-Men. Really close.

The premise itself (post apolcolyptic earth being run by corporations... it's been done) is rather tired. The party of people are also too strong... way too strong. You should tone them down a little. Or a lot. Either way, if it's written well and drawn well, anything should sell.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
jicama
post May 18 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #23

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

Stan "The Man" Lee based the general concept off of the civil rights movement with radicals on either end. There was a sense of civic duty and societal unrest. Now it's all about action figures and Saturday morning cartoons.

couldn't have said it better myself. i don't care much for the new marvel/dc comics, they just don't hold my interest the way the golden age ones do. though oddly enough, i am getting into the new cartoons. has anyone else been watching justice league? 'cause they're really aiming for an older audience.

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post May 18 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #24

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I'm kind of a virgin to this. Read lots of comics and graphic novels, but the only one that really make me smile was Fray (Buffy of the future)? I assume others have seen this?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 19 2004, 04:21 AM
Post #25

Shut up, noob!

Daredevil and Punisher are still pretty cool. They were once throwing around the idea of having Pun be some kind of demon hunter. My jaw dropped. I thought that was the biggest amount of crap in existance. You can't do that to the goddamn Punisher. His place has been and always will be the harsh dealer of justice to those who harm the innocent. You can't put living vengence into some kind of antidemonic comic crap. Grrr.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 04:17 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!