Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's The First Thing You Remember?
Mata
post May 11 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There's been a lot of negativity around on the daily life forum. Yes, if you're down this is the place to say it, but I also want this to be a place that you write the things that inspire you.

I have several memories from when I was very young, not many, but I think that a line or two about them might be interesting. I'll add more after other people have added theirs.

One of the first is that there was gate beside the house I lived in as child that blew down in a storm. I remember that it was just a cheap metal gate with curlicues. I don't know why it sticks in my memory, maybe it's the first time that I realised that the world didn't really like us being here.

Your turn. What's the first things you remember, really push. Why do you think you remember that?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post May 11 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 844

I remember as a wee likkle kid this table, and I used to play under it. When once I did a run towards it (being He-man again I assume) and I didn't realise that my eye level was lower than the top of my head and I smashed into the corner of it. I would say that is my earliest memory as I have the scar to kick start the memory.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 11 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Gosh, it's hard to remember my earliest memories...

What I always claim is my earliest memory was when my mom threw out the best Sears' Christmas Wishbook. For those of you in other countries, Sears is a department store chain. Every year they put out a "Wishbook" at Christmas. A yearly catelogue, but so much more. It's got everything from the best toys to clothes to whatever you can possibly think of. (Okay, I'm romanticising it a bit, but it is pretty awesome.) The Wishbook in question had the greatest toys in it. That was pretty traumatic, and my brother and I were both highly displeased with mom. She's never thrown out a Wishbook since. smile.gif

I'm sure I have earlier memories. If I think about it hard enough, I can picture the moment when my mom accidentally hit me with an axe... (I know, it sounds terrible! tongue.gif ) We were camping, and I was just learning to walk and she didn't want me to fall and hurt myself on the rosebushes. So she was cutting them out, and my brother told me to come and sit beside him, out of her way. I, of course, took the long way around the fire pit, and walked behind my mom. She stood up, not realizing I was behind her, and she caught the side of my face with the axe. Cut that camping trip short! I still have the scar on the left side of my face. It especially shows when I squint.

Edit: I also remember when the second drawer was the tallest one I could reach! Now it's waaaaaay down there, near the floor!

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Patient #212
post May 11 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Miss Violence Spiderguts

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,030

The earliest thing I remember... hmmmm. The room I now have once used to be a den/office and for a couple years after I was born, my parents hadn't redecorated it. I was really excited when they decided to redo it. I remember my dad painting the walls and I wanted to help. So he let me paint a little section in the corner. I'm sure it must have been horrible because I remember noticing later in the day that he'd fixed and smoothed out the area and I couldn't understand why he didn't think my painting was good enough.

That's kind of a boring memory, but I'm fairly sure it's the first one.

--------------------
With the headlights burning
We're looking up for something
Answers on the ceiling.

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post May 11 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #5

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

First things I remember:
1) Sitting in the car going down the street with my mother and asking "What are those tall buildings over there?" Who knew they would later be the key to my past?
2) Seeing a girl throw up in a cake pan in a Red Lobster parking lot in Florida

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 12 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

It's weird isn't it? Why do you think we remember these things in particular and not other things from our childhood?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 12 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #7

Rabid Saskatchewanian

QUOTE (Mata @ May 11 2004, 06:19 PM)
It's weird isn't it? Why do you think we remember these things in particular and not other things from our childhood?

I think it's often because of strong emotional or physical responses. Getting hurt (ie. when I got swiped with the axe, Mr. Teapot with the table) causes immense physical pain, which sticks out. Or the first time we strongly feel an emotion -- like when my mom through out the Wishbook, disappointment. Or probably disgust or curiosity for Silver Star with the throwing up. For some reason it has an emotional trigger of some sort? Or the second drawer, for me, is significant because that's where all the craft supplies came from which equaled fun.

Often traumatic experiences seem to stick out, for some reason.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 12 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #8

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

My earliest vivid memory is my sister's baptism. I was 3 at the time. I remember standing up near the altar and stretching my neck upwards to watch her as she was held in the pastor's arms, water trickling along her forehead. I looked out at the congregation in a fit of childhood shyness, and they all stared intently back at me. Then my sister started wailing, as wet babies often do.

All my memories from under the age of 6 involve my sister, strangely enough. Her, and the soundtrack to "Dirty Dancing". My mother stuck the tape in the car one day driving me to school a few years ago, and I didn't know why, but I knew all the words to the songs, even though I'd never seen the movie. Apparently my mother used to play that tape all the time when I was young while she cleaned the house.

It really is amazing how my mind picked that up.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 12 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #9

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

The earliest thing that I can remember is the day before my 4th birthday. My mom had had us eat at a folding table in the kitchen because we were going to have company later so she didn't want us to mess up the dining table. We had potroast and I distinctly remember spitting out the pieces of fat from the meat and setting them on the edge of my plate. Later when our home teacher came (a person sent by the mormon church on a monthly basis to check up on families) I went up to him and proclaimed, "Tomorrow I'm going to be four and I'm going to be big!"

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 12 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #10

Rabid Saskatchewanian

a person sent by the mormon church on a monthly basis to check up on families
Yeesh. This would go along with my trauma theory for why we remember things. ohmy.gif tongue.gif j/k
</spam>

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 12 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #11

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Tigersong @ May 11 2004, 05:29 PM)
a person sent by the mormon church on a monthly basis to check up on families
Yeesh. This would go along with my trauma theory for why we remember things. ohmy.gif tongue.gif j/k
</spam>

Nah the home teachers never tramautized me just later taught me how to shake hands so hard that it felt as if you were going to break the other person's hand. On that note, don't shake hands with me if you meet me or use the hand you don't use as much. laugh.gif

</spam>

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 12 2004, 02:45 AM
Post #12

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

One of my first memories was from when Dad was adding on to the house. I walked to the end of the hall one night, pulled back some plastic, and stared up at the stars. rolleyes.gif I'd have been about two at the time.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Marsyas
post May 12 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #13

Apparently squishy

Member No.: 763

One of my earliest memories is of me standing in our laundry room wearing this white angel robe for our "angel chorus" in our church Christmas pageant...and they kept trying to make me wear this God awful tinsel halo and I remember being quite irate about that...

Another one of my memories is sitting in the breakfast nook, looking out the window while eating a bowl of Crispix, and watching my mom back into my father's truck. That was the day I learned what f**k meant. rolleyes.gif

Not too many bad memories here...I've been very fortunate.

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 12 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #14

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I have a terrible memory. The earliest memory which is actually a memory and not something I've constructed out of photos and the like would be when I was five years old, crawling into a space beneath one of the buildings in my old school.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post May 12 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #15

<3

Member No.: 806

My earliest memory was when I was about one. It was the only year we ever had a real christmas tree, and I remember sitting under it, watching my dad water it.

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Pab
post May 12 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #16

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

My absolute ealiest memories are:

1. having thrown up in my cot as a baby, I remember crying to get the attention of my parents, and more particlarly waiting and sort of thinking "why are they taking so long" ... Somehow I remember there being other thoughts with this incedent ... I get the sensation of thinking something like "hmmmm .... now THERE's a point" but I really cant get more specific

2. visiting the house that my parents were getting built at that time. I remember walking along the upstairs landing holding my dads hand and stepping over the feet of workmen who were sat against the wall having a sarny or something ...

These 2 situations were easy to place in time. They were necessarily BEFORE I was 2 years and 1 month old, cos that's when we moved in to the new house ... a different chapter entirely. We'll say I was between 1.5 and 2.
I reckon they lodged in my mind at the time because my brain somehow came to some sort of conclusion to a thought process, and therefore they are more or less my first 'memorable' concious thought-out rational super-me thoughts ... give or take ...

Ask me where I've put my car-keys 20 minutes ago and you'll just get met with a blank stare ...

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 12 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #17

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Hmmm....earliest memory is probably me standing in my cot holding onto the side waiting for someone to come and let me out....though i'm not entirely sure how long ago that happened.

I also vividly remember leaning against the wall in the hall way at home, my mum was kneeling on the floor, talking on the phone and I was thinking "I'm 3 years old and I'm bored.....yay me" ....well it was something along those lines

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
phoenix
post May 12 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #18

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Member No.: 252

most of my past memories are vivid (its the present i have the trouble with tongue.gif )

but the earliest memory that i have is me and my mom were at my aunt becky's (whos not really my aunt, but my moms longerst and dearest friend) and my mom put me in one of those whelly things that you put babies in so they can scurry around the house. i remeber my aunt becky telling my mom she still had it from when bredan (her son) was a baby. and i remember scrurrying to the living room area and my sister and bredan were watching Nightmare on Elm Street, and the guy was turned into some insect.

its odd that i can remember this stuff. i talked to my aunt becky about this memory and she confirmed i was right. i can even describe her house perfectly and she was outta there when i was three.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 12 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #19

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

i just remembered something else, I remember having one of those bouncer things that you attached to a door frame and attached yourself with bungee cords and bounced til your hearts content....i remember being in one of those once, i used to love doing that....bouncy boucy bouncy

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post May 12 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #20

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I have a rubbish memory. Alot of my earliest memories never actually happened.

I distinctly remember that we bought the Rug in our living room when we were in Cyprus but apparently we got it from Cheltenham!
I do remember playing on rocks by the sea in Cyprus, I don't really know why I remember. According to my dad it snowed when we were there *shrugs*

I think my earliest memory is a bad one, when I was about 6 and I was buying ice cream in Wales, I still have nightmares about it. unsure.gif

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
phoenix
post May 12 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #21

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Member No.: 252

i remember my first popsicle. i was at aunt becky's again (we spent alot of time there) and she was watching me, while my mom worked. i had gotten ill and all that fun stuff. so i was put on the couch to lye down, gah i remember what every pillow case was (they needed to be changed often that day... poor sick baby phoenix). and she gave me a orange popsicle. i never had one before (my dad was bit of a health food junkie.... what happened to that!) we werent allowed to have sugary stuffs in our house. but yeep, that was my first popsicle.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post May 12 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

I think my earliest memory is probably when I made a little den out of sheets and the clothes horse in the back garden. That was actually the day my parents split up (they got back together a year or so later) and I remember thinking how great it was that I was allowed to eat my dinner in my den and wondering why everyone was so grumpy.

I love the story my Grandpa tells me of when I learnt to walk. Apprently, my Grandpa was holding on to one end of a string of beads and I was holding the other end. He kept walking me round and round the table and then broke them "by accident" and I kept going. Apprently I wouldn't stop biggrin.gif Wheeeee biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 12 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #23

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I remember being a little kid in my house in New Jersey. I remember the couch, the backyard, the woman accross the street and the entire layout of my house. U also remember playing with my brother and the day we moved from New Jersy to Philadelphia.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post May 12 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #24

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Oh! I know this one. ^^ (Awesome thread idea, Mata)

I was, well, I think about two or so back home and wanted to put on an acting show or ballerina show .. something like that on for my parents, but my grandfather was in the room so I told him to get out and threw a stuffed hippo at him. O.o not very _nice_, but he took it pretty well.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post May 12 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #25

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

hmmm i think my erliest memory would be in my g-mas house in my in my crib and there was a brick wall with a vent in it and thinking "great a monster is going to jump out of that hole and eat me and my butts wet, mybe it will spit me out if i get a bit wetter" i couldnt have been more then a year old because we were doing the back and forth from seattle and we were staying with my grandma because we didnt have a house yet...

anouther memory is when i stuck a carrot up my moms nose... no clue how old i was but i know i had just learned to talk and promtly said "i love you mommy" because she seemed a bit mad about having a carrot stuck up her nose (it was a baby carrot)

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:41 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!