Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interview, To tell or not to tell?
Pixelgoth
post May 14 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

Right peeps I need opinions and lots of them. I have a problem to solve. I have been working at Greenleaf for 5 years and although I like my job it really isn't what I'm passionate about which is history, museums, heritage, etc. I recently applied for a job at a museum and have been offered an interview. I don't have a date yet as they have said that their funding is delayed and as such the next stage (interviews) is delayed until June.

Now do I...

1. Tell work now?
2. Wait until I have a date and tell them?
3. Not tell them, go for the interview and only say anything if I get the job?

Bear in mind that Greenleaf is a tiny firm (4 people strong) and if I go it really puts a spanner in the works as no one else knows how to do my job! ohmy.gif Obviously they'd find someone else but it might take slightly longer than some large corporation might. Plus I feel there is some loyalty there and it would be better to give them a 'heads up' and tell them I had an interview rather than drop the bomb that I'm leaving in 4 weeks and there ain't nothin' they can do! biggrin.gif

A friend said that I don't owe them squat really and they wouldn't give me a heads up if I was being made redundant. Having said that I'd probably know about it long before as I organise the finances rolleyes.gif He also made the point that if I tell them I have an interview and don't get it then they are going to be nervous about me leaving and think I'm at an interview everytime I'm off sick or on holiday. Kinda destroys trust?

So what do you think? smile.gif :

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 14 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

It's a bad idea to ever tell a job that you're looking for something else, unless it's something else that will be worked at alongside the job that you're already at.

You're friend is right that you should wait to tell them because it will make them nervous about you leaving. What happens if you go for the interview and don't get it? From my own experience if you drop a bomb like this on people and then don't get the job you interviewed for, they're not as nice to you afterwards.

So yeah my advice is wait until you find out whether or not you got it. 4 weeks is more than enough time to find someone new, and train them to a point where they're catching on, so don't stress about that issue.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post May 14 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Group: New Members
Member No.: 822

Hmm tough one. I'm a very noble and dignified person so I'd say that you should go with option 2... however, being noble and dignified rarely gets you anything other than walked on. So I would suggest option 3, but then, I don't know the people you work with, whether they are nice or whatever, so I can't really tell you what you should do. Just go with what you feel is right. If your going to lose sleep over whether they can find a replacement, then tell them early. If not, then don't stress them out just yet, if you happen to stay, it could create some conflict.

Goodluck!

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 14 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #4

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I'm with Lolo on this one but what you could do is offer to stay do 6 weeks notice rather than the 4 if it worries you that much.
Good Luck!

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 14 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Cath @ May 14 2004, 01:04 PM)
I'm with Lolo on this one but what you could do is offer to stay do 6 weeks notice rather than the 4 if it worries you that much.
Good Luck!

I see what you're all saying but 4 weeks isn't long enough to interview, get someone in and train them. I need 4 weeks just to train. There are things that happen monthly and they need to be addressed as and when.I could offer to work 6 weeks. That's a good idea but it depends on what the museum wants. If they need to me to start ASAP then a months notice is expected but 6 weeks might not be suitable.

Having said all that my boss can't interview other people or do anything until I've handed in my resignation anyway so it probably would make sense to wait and see if I was offered the job?

I just don't know unsure.gif

I feel bad about leaving Greenleaf. They rely heavily on me. I don't feel bad enough to not leave but I would feel bad and I can't deal with their guilt trips which I'm sure I'd have to suffer! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 14 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Doesn't your employment contract specify how much notice you have to give before resigning?

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 14 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #7

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

Do not let them know. No matter how long you have been there or what you feel you owe them, do not let them know. If your boss suddenly gets spiteful and lets you go.. well then you would be up crap creek without a paddle! Play it cool, continue to work at your current firm, once you have interviewed for the position and you have the job. Then, and only then, do you let your current firm know. Give them at least two weeks notice.. and if you feel really bad, find a out of work friend and offer to train them in your position. Or offer to let them call you if they need information after you leave. But I would not let them know anything that would cause them to question your loyalty to your company. You don’t want to cause any tension at you current position, for all you know you may never get this new job.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post May 14 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #8

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

Yep, I'm with LoLo, Cath and Ravein - don't tell 'em!

I know it seems dishonest but I just feel that if you tell them and don't get it you'll feel uncomfortable, and if you tell them and do get it you've only got your notice to work out with them no matter how awkward it feels.

Whatever you decide I'll keep my fingers crossed for you hon! *hugs*

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 14 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #9

My question aside, and keeping in mind my total lack of experience in the area, seems to me the sensible thing would be not to say anything until you have the job. No sense disturbing things at work.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 14 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #10

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

Workplaces, although not always cruel, usually do what's best for them. If they think you might leave, they may just tell you to go, so they can get on with hiring someone new and have them trained as soon as possible.

Two weeks' notice before leaving is pretty customary, once you get your new job. That leaves them time to start hiring and you have the security of employment.

+Quote Post
Pab
post May 15 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #11

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

This would be a question for people that work for a living then ...

The amount of forewarning you give'm is a question of law, not arbitrary 'oh that sounds about right to me' rubbish.

Pixie: IF and WHEN you get another job, you start telling work. You will be able to give them whatever the established minimum amount of time is, as set by law, and this is in relation to how long you've been there and so on. If you'd like to give them more time (which is nice) then you negociate that with the new guys saying "I have to give the other lot some time" and then you talk about it to both openly ...

NOT before you get a real offer.

NOT.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

The individual has way more to lose than a company. Even if its a small one. A company makes profits and those profits are there to be able to afford this type of situation. If they are not, then the company has to make it so they are. You, as an individual, need to eat, and sleep under a roof. Your economy is a vry different thing to a companies.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post May 15 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #12

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (franken-sarah @ May 15 2004, 02:25 AM)

Ok, so y'all just make me look like the bad guy

I take back what I said, seen as my opinion is deemed unworthy. dry.gif

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 15 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Enslaved @ May 15 2004, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ May 15 2004, 02:25 AM)

Ok, so y'all just make me look like the bad guy

I take back what I said, seen as my opinion is deemed unworthy. dry.gif

Hate to remind you, Noble and Dignified, but you said option 3 too, if I recall correctly. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they think your opinion is unworthy, get off your high horse.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 15 2004, 11:50 AM
Post #14

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I might have been very lucky with my employers, because I've always had a very good relationship with my bosses so I've usually given them all several month's notice of when I intend to leave. They have always appreciated the advance notice and I've left when I wanted to and on good terms.

However, because you do not definitely have anywhere to go that does change the situation. Unless you are prepared to say 'even if I don't get this new job I still want to leave' then the people above are probably right, it would be best to wait until the new job is confirmed.

If you feel bad about leaving them in the lurch, it might be a good idea to start putting together a folder about how to do your daily tasks. If there is a routine you follow then write down everything in that routine, then write down everything that the individual jobs require. If there are things that you do once a month then maybe make a month-guide for when people should be doing things and what those things are. If there are phone numbers that a especially useful then assemble them in one easy to access place and make sure that other people would know who the numbers are for (write the name of the company and what they do for you as well as the person's name). If you do this well then it should be fairly easy for anyone with common sense to be able to pick up where you left off.

You might have to do this in the evenings so that you don't arrouse suspicion, but it will probably go a long way towards alleviating feelings of guilt.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post May 15 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #15

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

3. Not tell them, go for the interview and only say anything if I get the job.

Definatly babe. Always good to leave your options open I say smile.gif

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post May 15 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #16

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Pab @ May 14 2004, 05:44 PM)
The amount of forewarning you give'm is a question of law, not arbitrary 'oh that sounds about right to me' rubbish.

I'm thinking things work differently over there.

Here, you aren't required to give 2 weeks notice (which is customary here...good lord @ 4 or 6 weeks. That's insane) unless you have some sort of contract that states otherwise (few people do, to my knowledge), but if you want to use that particular employer for a reference in the future, you had better. It really isn't a matter of law over here. People leave their jobs in the middle of their shift over here, occaisionally, if they're particularly angry (though, I wouldn't suggest that).

Anyway, cultural differences aside, I'm going to echo everyone else and say wait to tell them, but give them plenty of notice if and when you do actually get the job so you can train your replacement.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post May 16 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #17

Light On The Surface

Member No.: 91

Well, I've nothing more to add to the topic (Pab had it pretty much down, really...), but I would like to wish you the best of luck for your interview. Sounds right up your alley.

Go get 'em, you slaaaaaaaag!!!

wink.gif

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 16 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #18

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (candice @ May 15 2004, 03:45 PM)
Here, you aren't required to give 2 weeks notice (which is customary here...good lord @ 4 or 6 weeks. That's insane) unless you have some sort of contract that states otherwise (few people do, to my knowledge)

In the UK it's a standard part of most employment contracts to define how much notice employees have to give before leaving. It's unusual to not have that in the contract rather than the other way around. I'm very surprised that you don't have that in the US!

On the other hand, there's not really such a culture here of wanting to get revenge on bosses when you're leaving a job so it's just sensible to make sure you have a decent bit of warning to find a new emplyee.

Quite a few jobs are flexible around the contract terms, they just have it there so that if they will be desperately messed up if they are left in the lurch they can request that you do your full four weeks before you leave. My last job knew that I would be going for about three months in advance of my actually knowing for sure when it would be. I actually gave them formal notice of when I would like to leave in a shorter period than was stated in my contract, so they would've been within their rights to make me work it but I got on well with the bosses so they were happy for me to go whenever suited me best.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 16 2004, 01:44 PM
Post #19

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

A lot of places in the states do have it in their contracts too but a lot of people don't give a flying crap about them. Mostly every place that I've worked for has required that I give at least 2 weeks notice before leaving my job, and for the most part I have. One job I gave 2 days notice, but I was transferring within the company so they didn't think that was a bad thing and I had already been planning a weeks vacation for the week after my notice, so they counted that as notice as well. The place I'm working for now only requires a week, which I think is rather cool, but that's only because it's an employment agency I think.

So yeah we do have preset amounts of notice that we have to give, it just doesn't work out that everyone does it. Some people just don't care about them so they leave and never come back. Like Candice said the only reprocussion(sp?) to it is not being able to use them as a reference. Well that and them being able to put you down as someone who abandoned their job. Either way if it's a low enough income job they don't care if you have walked out on jobs before for the most part.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 17 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #20

Thanks for everyone's input! smile.gif It'd pretty much decided Option 3 over the weekend so you've just confirmed my feelings.

Nat, don't be so over-sensitive you silly pie! *hugs* No one was saying you were wrong you daft beggar! tongue.gif Just stating their opinion which I asked for.

I think my notice is 4 weeks. I need to check but I'm fairly sure. Unless the museum insists that I start work as soon as my notice will allow me then I'm going to suggest 6 weeks to them and see what they say. Obviously this depends on if I actually get the job! biggrin.gif

I will say one last thing though. Greenleaf are my friends not just my employers and I don't think they would ever shaft me over. It's a completely different dynamic to anything I've ever worked at before. I was going to tell them I had an interview because they have been good to me and will likely always be unless I am really horrid to them and that is why I came to the final Option 3 conclusion: "unless I am really horrid to them". I know how nasty it is to be unsure whether someone is going to leave you in the lurch and even if I convinced them that I wasn't applying for other jobs left, right and centre there would still be that issue of "will she, won't she".

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 12:13 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!