Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rant About The Cicadas, heathens!
acid_rain_child
post May 27 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Vive y Deja Vivir

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 672

I haven't been here in a good while, so I don't know if anyone is experiencing or has mentioned the cicadas.
I love the cicadas. I love them and no one can do anything about it.
I hate the people who kill them. They come around once every 17 years, people! Every-17-years! Not every summer, not every other summer, every 17 summers. Yet you people feel the need to step on them, squish them, eat them (I kid you not), pull off their heads, smack them around, whatever seems to float your boat at the moment. To these people-I hate you. I hate everything you stand for.

Listen to me. Once every 17 years they emerge. They don't eat your flowers. They don't kill your trees. They don't bite or pinch or suck-on-you! You wanna know what?! THEY WAKE UP, F**K AND DIE. At least have the decency to let them fulfill their purpose in life. Jesus Christ, you people make me sick. I mean, REALLY? You can't deal with them 3 months every 17 mother-loving years?!

I don't know if this is in the right place, and I don't expect anyone to say anything. I'm just ranting.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post May 28 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #2

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

I'm still looking for them. I have yet to see one

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 28 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

feel like explaining what these things are to those of us not in the know?

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
The Lorax
post May 28 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #4

Superterriffic.

Member No.: 1,052

From what I've seen they're little bugs that latch onto things and buzz and buzz and buzz--then they screw and die.
They look like so:

http://www.stfx.ca/people/rlauff/images/cicadas.jpg

--------------------
[center]Lets all get drunk, tonight.[/center]

+Quote Post
killersquirrel
post May 28 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #5

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 106

they're little buggies. kinda like crickets.ish. they're black with red eyes 2 inches or so long and they're totally blind. they have fun sticky feet:)
there are some that come out anuually, but the real swarms of 'em come out every 17 years on the eastern shore of the U.S. possibly elsewhere, don't know about that. they just come out of the ground, lay some eggs on a tree, and die. don't hurt anything. they're here from about mid-may to mid june.

i think they're fun to play with. my biology teacher insists that they like their backs pet but she's bonkers. they shed their shells though which is kinda creepy. the mulch in my mom's flower garden is all light brown and crunchy because all of the shells have fallen out of the tree in the middle of it.

yeah, i was kinda fascinated by them when i heard it was their year:) i have a love/hate relationship with them though. as said before, they are fun to play with and are silly cuz they smack into you a lot. buuut, i can't really sit out on my back porch or anything because my house is surrounded by woods and they are incredibly loud

my driver's ed instructer said they've caused a bunch of accidents because they'll fly through people's cars if the windows are down and it freaks people out so they swerve and whatnot.

*queen of useless knowledge/procrastination shuffles away*

--------------------
no lies, just love

+Quote Post
Marsyas
post May 28 2004, 03:39 AM
Post #6

Apparently squishy

Member No.: 763

I was only 2 years old last time they were out. I live by Cincinnati though, and these things are EVERYWHERE. I was driving with my boyfriend in his noisy truck, with the windows open (more loudness) while blasting the radio really loud.....and the cicadas made it hard to hear all of that excess noise because they were so loud. In recent days they seemed to be clinging more to the trees, but they've become more adventurous as to land on me while I'm walking our dogs and take a stroll with us. At any given moment of the day, I can look outside and see them swarming about.

The storms and slight tornadic activity tonight has sort of quelled them, but they'll still be there and still be noisy tomorrow. I wish I weren't so freaked out by bugs.

For those of you in areas that don't have them, this is what they look like:

--------------------
Come away! O human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than you can understand...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 28 2004, 07:04 AM
Post #7

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Cicadas are pretty! None of them here, I'm just going by what I see in the pictures.

I really don't like bugs touching me, or coming anywhere near me, but the cicadas wouldn't bother me since I never leave the house anyway. Go cicadas!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post May 28 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #8

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

QUOTE (killersquirrel @ May 28 2004, 01:59 AM)
my driver's ed instructer said they've caused a bunch of accidents because they'll fly through people's cars if the windows are down and it freaks people out so they swerve and whatnot.

yep, i'd do that. loud buzzy things freak me out unsure.gif

do we have them in england? anyone?? *ponders*

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post May 28 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #9

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

we don't have them...

Those little critters are mad loud... i'm talking crazy levels..

if you watch a cop show set at night in florida or somthing and you can hear a insecty noise in the background... that'll be the cicadas...

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post May 28 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Worrying

Member No.: 233

Uh... Yeah, lets not kill off the cicada infestation, then, when you go to the store to buy your weeks worth of groceries you can blame yourself when you see the price of a loaf of bread is $73.50 and a can of corn is $150.00 because they destroy the crops, get into things like machinery and wreck it, can damage your car, etc etc... But they're "cute" so don't step on 'em... Awww, cute little destructive infestation. What's that you say? You're gonna go obliterate Farmer Joe's entire crop and put him in the poor house because he can't afford to maintain his farm? Well goodie, go do that because you're just too darned cute.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Patient #212
post May 28 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #11

Miss Violence Spiderguts

Member No.: 1,030

Uh... Yeah, lets not kill off the cicada infestation, then, when you go to the store to buy your weeks worth of groceries you can blame yourself when you see the price of a loaf of bread is $73.50 and a can of corn is $150.00 because they destroy the crops, get into things like machinery and wreck it, can damage your car, etc etc... But they're "cute" so don't step on 'em... Awww, cute little destructive infestation. What's that you say? You're gonna go obliterate Farmer Joe's entire crop and put him in the poor house because he can't afford to maintain his farm? Well goodie, go do that because you're just too darned cute.

Hahahaha. You know what's funny? They don't destroy crops. Because they don't eat at all. They don't even have mouths. They soak up nourishment for 17 years underground, emerge, mate, lay eggs, and die. They have no interest in destroying Farmers Joe's fields. But, you know, when bread is $73.50, then I openly invite you to say "I told you so."

Yeah, they're swarming in Cincinnati. It's especially mad in my neighborhood... you can't carry on a conversation outside it's so loud (I'm serious. Those of you who don't have them can't even imagine the noise). I don't really mind them much except sometimes they coat our sidewalk so thick that you can't help stepping on them-- and I don't like stepping on them because they're crunchy. Like roaches or something. But they're not so bad to deal with every 17 years. It's interesting really... like a novelty plague. tongue.gif

--------------------
With the headlights burning
We're looking up for something
Answers on the ceiling.

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post May 28 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Yeah, my mom was telling me about these the other day. Apparantly there's a spinn off of these guys that have mutated from the original cicada and they emerge every 13 years. I'm just waiting for this to happen and keep happening until the emerge every 2 years or something. Anyways. yes they are supposively loud and EVERYWHERE. My mother remembers them, but they only show up in southern ny and I'm in Central NY so I have yet to see one.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 28 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Patient #212 @ May 28 2004, 08:09 PM)
Hahahaha. You know what's funny? They don't destroy crops. Because they don't eat at all. They don't even have mouths. They soak up nourishment for 17 years underground, emerge, mate, lay eggs, and die. They have no interest in destroying Farmers Joe's fields. But, you know, when bread is $73.50, then I openly invite you to say "I told you so."

0WN3D

</spam>

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Tomoyo
post May 31 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #14

Super advanced member

Member No.: 697

Does anyone here eat cicadas? My friend was talking about how her biology class went outside and the teacher gave a little demonstration with eating cicadas. He apparently knows how to pick out the "ripe" ones and such. My friend claims that they taste good... like vegetables or something.

I have never eaten a cicada before, and I don't plan to. But other than that... they really don't bother me too much.

--------------------
We chase misprinted lies.

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post May 31 2004, 07:58 AM
Post #15

Worrying

Ahem.... So sorry, allow me to "<d00dsp33k> OWN3D </d00dsp33k>" you right back, dipsheet.

http://www.wvhomestead.com/calb/cicada.html
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research...ls.asp?Bu_Id=94
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/dept/entplp/bulle...das/photo13.htm
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/CicadaNet.html

Periodical cicadas damage trees above and below ground. The most obvious damage is that caused by egg laying in small twigs. This damage causes twigs to split, wither, and die, causing a symptom called "flagging." Flagging is especially serious on young plants (four years or younger) because more of the branches are of the preferred size for oviposition, 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. Some of the more favored trees for oviposition include maple, oak, hickory, beech, ash, dogwood, hawthorn, magnolia, willow, apple, peach, cherry and pear. Flowers, vines and shrubs include: Rose of Sharon, rose, raspberry, grape, black-eyed Susan, hollies, spirea, rhododendron, viburnum, junipers, and arborvitae. More than 270 species of plants have been noted as hosts for egg laying female cicadas.

Damage is also done by the nymphs that suck sap from roots. Prolonged feeding by nymphs on a tree's root system may reduce plant growth and fruit production.

So they cause no damage do they?

This also doesn't account for the damage they do simply by getting into everything in sight. But hey, they're just so f'n cute!!! Well, adopt a few million of 'em and take 'em to your house why don't ya?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 31 2004, 08:11 AM
Post #16

So...at which point in the (quoting your sources) "mostly cosmetic" damage every seventeen years are Farmer Joe's crops getting destroyed? Looks to me like they scratch up some trees. I don't see anything about them forcing the price of a loaf of bread up to $73.50. Bread grows on trees now? Whoa. Farmer Joe better take cover, some of the branches of his trees are getting scratched up every seventeen years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post May 31 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 374

Yeah, cicadas are cool. I remember them all through my childhood during the summer. They'd latch hold to pine trees and shed their skin. The skins left over were cool. You could stick them to your clothes with the little pointed feetsies. I used to cover myself in them and chase my sister around the yard. My grandfather farms every year and I help them. I've never heard him complain about the cicadas eating his corn or wheat or soybeans or tobacco.

And uh, try to avoid calling mods names. He can call me whatever he wants, doesn't bother me. -Commie

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post May 31 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #18

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Silly Irish...we don't call anyone names...it doesn't matter if they're a mod or not! rolleyes.gif

*cough*

I haven't seen any here yet, but there will be a few. My friend in Ohio says her mother gave her a poncho because the cicadas would all fly and stick to her. It must be annoying as heck, so I sympathize with you people that have to deal with them. I'd like to trap one and study one, but I wouldn't be able to keep it alive and it would probably make noise and plus they look scary. unsure.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Patient #212
post May 31 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #19

Miss Violence Spiderguts

Member No.: 1,030

QUOTE (gothictheysay @ May 31 2004, 11:10 AM)
I haven't seen any here yet, but there will be a few. My friend in Ohio says her mother gave her a poncho because the cicadas would all fly and stick to her.

They don't land on you very much unless you walk into areas where they happen to be extremely dense-- usually in somewhat forested areas. I've gotten used to them. Just pinch them lightly by their wings and toss them off. smile.gif

As far as damage done, cicadas do make tiny slits in tree bark in order to lay their eggs. There's a maple tree right in front of our house and there must be thousands of the things living, mating, and laying eggs in it. I haven't noticed any damage at all. No leaves wilting. No branches falling off and dying. And as far as the nymphs robbing trees of nourishment and reducing fruit production-- 1. It can't be very significant and 2. A lot of things do that, I'm sure. Birds eat fruit that could have been harvested and sold and eaten by humans. Lets kill all of them.

--------------------
With the headlights burning
We're looking up for something
Answers on the ceiling.

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post May 31 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #20

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Most of the animals, insects etc... living in our world today were here a lot longer than we were. And it sucks arse, big time that we give it the big one every time they may make our lives a little difficult.

We may be the dominant species on this planet but it gives us no right to do even half the stuff that we do. Makes me very angry. mad.gif See, < angry face.

Anyway - it's every 17 years. From what I can gather they do very little damage (if any) and I'm sure that the eco - system deals with it as it has done for many years.

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Cthulhu
post Jun 1 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #21

Worrying

Bread comes from grain, grains are damaged by the female cicadas laying eggs in their stems and root systems. It definatly is damaging. If it's ever 17 years or every 100 years it's still damage. If it was "no big deal" as you want to believe then it wouldn't even be newsworthy now would it? Even if the damage was only cosmetic, even if that's all it was, it's still damaging and it still costs people a lot of money.

Alright, that being said, you're right, a lot of these creatures have been here longer than we have and yeah, I agree, they have as much right to live as we do. But I don't believe in seperating man from nature. I think we're a part of it, right down to all the things everyone calls unnatural that we do. It's just our own nature and it's part of the whole. So, if a wolf creeps into the area of a bear's den and threatens its young, the bear is gonna kill the wolf, right? That's nature. Well if cicadas threaten some human's business and that endangers that human's family why is it any less natural for the human to take action to kill the cicada?

Some folks are naturalists who think that everything on the planet EXCEPT US is natural, I don't agree with that. We're just as much a part of the whole cycle as everything else, in everything we do.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 1 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #22

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I think the slits in the tree actually help the tree; I'll try to find my Time magazine article about it.

Ah...the summers filled with the neighborhood kids daring each other to run through large grassy areas of them rolleyes.gif This year it'll be a double-dog dare tongue.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Jun 1 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

According to my biology teacher, when they lay their eggs in the branch, it falls off. He called it "nature's trimming service" or something cheesey like that, but he has a point that if it trims the branches (mind you I didn't say "lobs the whole thing off") it's probably beneficial to the trees. Something like getting our split ends taken off to make hair healthier. Or something blink.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Fallen1015
post Jun 1 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #24

forum duct tape enthusiast

Member No.: 901

if they werent so freaking loud i wouldnt have a problem with them.. but they like.. crescendo and stuff.. and they are scary, and i dont like bugs.. lol.
im just glad they are gone soon...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Jun 2 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #25

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

If the cicadas are so bad, how come they've survived for hundreds of thousands of years? Presumably they must be an integral part of the region's ecosystem, or they wouldn't have survived (and nor would the trees in which they reside). In fact, they're probably some kind of pruning mechanism for the ecosystem.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 12:40 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!