IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tipping, Do you do it?
Do you tip?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Righteous
post May 28 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Self-explanitory. I was watching Reservoir Dogs (yet again) and took particular note of Mr. Pink's rationale behind not tipping. I thought it was rather interesting and debate-worthy. Tipping, for those of you who don't know, is giving extra cash to the person who brings you food. Usually it's around 20% of your bill. Some tip more; some tip less; some have a flat tip rate. Though I am a cheap bastard, I personally tip to the best of my ability just because I know people who wait tables. Very, very, very, very rarely do I tip poorly or not tip at all because of poor service. Most of the time though I tip well, very well if you do a good job, like fill my coffee six times (Reservoir Dogs reference).

How about you guys? Any tippers in the house?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post May 28 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #2

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

I tend to tip very well. But on occaison I run accross a completely anal waitor/waitress who act like they haven't gotten any in years. When I come accross a person who isn't attentive to their table's needs, or nice (even if they fake it it's good), or if the person is just outright crabby I don't tip them. I came accross this one older man in a restaurant in Atlanta, it was a very nice restaurant mind you, but my youth group and I went there. The man was incredibly rude, would only talk to the adults and kept glaring at us and chastising us. Mind you we weren't doing anything wrong, so our youth group leader spoke to him and he just started to yell at our youth group leader. Thus we didn't leave him a tip, and he yelled even more.

Oh and there was this woman in lake George who just completely ignored our table and didn't even take our order until an hour and half after we got there when the restaurant was almost deserted. We didn't tip her either.

But often I tip just over 15 percent. More like 16/17%.

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 28 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ May 28 2004, 09:15 AM)
But on occaison I run accross a completely anal waitor/waitress who act like they haven't gotten any in years.

Very rarely does that happen to me. I usually get a lot of those really nice waitresses with southern accents who say "y'all" a lot. At New China, I'm usually serviced by my friend Shan and I tip her like a madman.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post May 28 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #4

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

Only if they deserve it. Actually, my parents do the tipping, but when I'm older I'm only giving it if it's well deserved.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post May 28 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #5

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

I generally tip a maximum of 10%. I tip according to how well I've been served, with 1p insult-tips for those servers that I really detested. I was once outraged to be served a 15% tip in my bill in Paris, which I promptly refused to pay. My altruistic and naive friends decided to pay up, which I was most disappointed at. Tipping is a form of communication between you and your server, and should be used carefully to let them know how they're performing.

I particularly dislike restaurants that include the tip in the bill; it seems slightly ingratiating and over-demanding of them. I usually under-tip where this occurs. I do not like to be told that a tip is "compulsory" either, an idea that I find quite offensive.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 28 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Tipping is less of a necessity in the UK - it's more common in the US because people get paid less for service jobs (I think), so tips are a considerable source of income. I usually tip a few pounds if I have money to spare (which I often don't), unless I didn't think the service was up to much or I'm just generally feeling pissy.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 29 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ May 28 2004, 04:52 PM)
I particularly dislike restaurants that include the tip in the bill; it seems slightly ingratiating and over-demanding of them. I usually under-tip where this occurs. I do not like to be told that a tip is "compulsory" either, an idea that I find quite offensive.

It really takes the warm, fuzzy feeling out of tipping when you have to do it. When it isn't compusary, it makes one feel as though his/her tip is more appreciated. Like Mr. Pink says, I don't teip because society says I have to. That's the philosophy I follow. I tip whatever I deem worthy and it's usually well.

Tipping is less of a necessity in the UK - it's more common in the US because people get paid less for service jobs (I think), so tips are a considerable source of income.

Yeah, waiters and waitresses get paid crap here. That's why it's such an easy job to get and, as Mr White said, the reason someone can make a living on it is because of the tips.

Depending on where you go, tips really vary. If you're working overnight at Joe's 24-hour Diner, you may not make as much as working dinner at the Posh Dinner and Wine Club across town. If you work places like the latter, you can make a buttload, as in a few hundred bucks a night.

Slight spam: I once went to a 24-hour diner in the city and there was this fox working there who brought me my food. I got dinner and her number; she got good convo and breakfast when her shift was over on top of a nice tip.

--------------------

+Quote Post
phoenix
post May 29 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #8

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Group: New Members
Member No.: 252

okay, this is going to be a rant. im a waitress, my hourly wage is $2.13 an hour (ohio's bright idea of minium wage for servers), so tips are my main source of income. now i work in a at a small diner with less then desirable clientele, who do not know how to tip properly. i cannot tell you how many times i have been stiffed or short tipped (less then 10% which i have to claim for taxes). its instances like that, that tips should be added to bills that are over a certain amount, or a party with a high amount of people in it. this is because (now this is just me, cant speak for all waitresses/ers) i run my bum off for my tables. and to go back and collect my tip after a table of 6-8 with a bill of $50+ and see three cruppled up dollar bills laying in the mess of crumbs after all the effort i put into them well... its not a happy moment, lets just say that.

i happen to be a good tipper, im at least 20% of the bill (thats for expected service) and if you are really good or if i know you, i will leave a 40-70% tip. its really on how good your service is.

im sorry, you should never not tip your server, thats wrong on so many levels. tips are the income, its what we live off of and depend on. and we are human, we have bad days, and its not our fault that the food was bad, or took to long to cook, or we couldnt fill your drink right away (the thing to remember when you go out: you are not the only table we have!) so give cut some slack.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 29 2004, 07:57 AM
Post #9

Shut up, noob!

Don't hate on me just yet Phoenix. I say I don't tip because society says I have to and that's true. However, I do tip for various reasons. Take, for instance, Mr. White's rational: You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job...Waitressing is the number one occupation for female noncollege graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips. This combined with the fact that I try to be a nice person makes me tip the way I do. There have been many times when I've left a tip larger than my actual tab. The tipping gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. If society deems it necessary, grand but I do it for the warm, fuzzy feeling, dammit.

Just thought I'd let you know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post May 29 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #10

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (phoenix @ May 29 2004, 04:53 AM)
okay, this is going to be a rant. im a waitress, my hourly wage is $2.13 an hour (ohio's bright idea of minium wage for servers), so tips are my main source of income.

Yeah, see, that's why tipping's such a big deal there. That is a horrifically low wage, I'm not surprised you need tips.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post May 29 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #11

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i leave 5$... not matter how much the bill is... my freidn do this as well... one night we tipped about 40$... it was interesting to watch teh waitresses face out the window... no matter what the ervice is... in less my food is not cooked and i have to send it back 4 times... i leave 5$...

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post May 29 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #12

My cute little Aislinn!

Member No.: 1,123

I tend to tip hardcore. And at Pizza Delivery places I have a reputation for being a good tipper ($7-10), then again it's not my money. The delivery guys get crap, and plus they talk good about me to the pizza makers so I get oogles of mushrooms when i say extra. There are certain places that I do not tip at all because they treat me like a child, granted I'm not an adult but I am a paying costumer I'm too scared to order the food there so I usually just get a virgin strawberry daquori instead ( I can watch them make it laugh.gif ). I usually tip $5-6+ for places I plan to come back to, but for places I don't.. it's a flat rate of $5.

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
phoenix
post May 30 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #13

why cant you people that tip $5 come into where i work! i swear i would look forward to going to work if everyone did that, or even tipped i dont know, like $1 a person! and it is hard work, you do more then just serve (at least where i work) you bus your tables, seat the door, do nightly clean ups, do the dishes, and cook at times! (i love hear the little posh girls that come in and say that they are going to be a waitress because its good money and easy work, it makes me giggle on the inside tongue.gif.) tipping is important to us servers, and honestly if you tip well and regulate at a place, your service will improve immensely. i know i go outta my way for people who tip well, i get them extras and will "hook them up" with their food.

tipping is a necessity to servers, and if you see that your server is having a bad day and is trying their hardest to make you happy and you leave them a large tip, it will make their day. i still remeber my first $10 tip, and how surprised and happy i was about it. it was like a birthday gift. as servers we dont expect huge tips, but its really nice to get them.

--------------------

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
Aislinn Faye
post May 30 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #14

My cute little Aislinn!

Member No.: 1,123

See... I prefer flat rates, and that each person should chip in.. or every two (one gets the bill, one gets the tip) But for like.. apple bees (don't know if tip is included) they're kinda pricey.. and people who work at waffle house and what not, deserve more of a tip, because the do more than just serve, while people at apple bees just serve. They shouldn't get a bigger tip because the food that they didn't make costs more. Does that make sense?

--------------------
"I can kill catering with a thought!" - Darth Vader

+Quote Post
phoenix
post May 31 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ May 30 2004, 05:59 PM)
See... I prefer flat rates, and that each person should chip in.. or every two (one gets the bill, one gets the tip) But for like.. apple bees (don't know if tip is included) they're kinda pricey.. and people who work at waffle house and what not, deserve more of a tip, because the do more than just serve, while people at apple bees just serve. They shouldn't get a bigger tip because the food that they didn't make costs more. Does that make sense?

well see thats where you are wrong, we get taxed on our tips, and have have to claim (as in claim no less then) 10%. grant the fact that we do make up for it with people who tip alot, it still pisses waitresses off when you dont tip at least 10%. but then again the minium wage could be different where you live, but it really sucks when i have to claim almost all my tips, i know its wrong and we shouldnt cheat the government, but taxes are outragous! and our checks are small enough as it is. but kudos for seeing that applebees waiters do less work, that makes me happy that people see that (they have no clue how good they have it there).

--------------------

[B] Own Microsoft

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 31 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I always tip well even if I can't afford it. I even tip well when I get bad service. My best friend doesn't tip at all and that bugs me. She says if people don't get tipped in every job where service to another is given then why should she tip a waiter or waitress. I think that's total crap. I for one when working a retail job don't expect a tip because I don't have to pay taxes on them. I do get tipped every now and again which is a nice feeling to have. Just the other day some lady slipped me 2 bucks for a wrapping job I did that cost her a dollar. That's a 200 percent tip! Anyway I think I lost my point other than tips are good for servers. laugh.gif

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 31 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #17

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (phoenix @ May 30 2004, 11:25 PM)
i know its wrong and we shouldnt cheat the government, but taxes are outragous!

And why the hell not? I'm glad that, via nepatism, I don't have my wages taxed. That's one of the beauties of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkInferno
post Jun 2 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #18

Serpents hide behind your eyes

Member No.: 346

I tipped in the US... fairly well.. I've been known to leave $20 if I enjoyed a meal/service.. I never related a tip to a % of the bill cost... I gave a tip that I believed the service to be worth.

I don't tip in the UK.. I may (and thats a may) offer a barman a drink if I'm flush and i'm having a good night... otherwise I belive that tipping is redundent in the UK.. due to cultural differences...

I have given tips in other countries but those are the only two I've lived in...

--------------------

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks

+Quote Post
talking to faeri...
post Jun 2 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #19

put the aerial on your head

Member No.: 89

I work in the UK as a waitress kind of thing in the local country park, I cook the food, serve the customers and do the dishes and I have never had a tip there, probably cos the pay is so good..at least 6 an hour. It's also a kind or hotel as well, and I have had a few boxes of chocolates from people who stay because I clean the bedrooms there as well, but the only money "tips" from the hotel section of the place comes from loose change that has fallen under the matress or something.

It feels nice to be appreciated, but I don't mind if there aren't any tips as long as the people are polite, nothing's worse than a rude, impatient customer. Anyway, yeah I agree that it's a cultural thing, I don't feel the need to tip whenever I go out to eat (which isn't often), cos I know from experience that the pay isn't that bad.

--------------------
~I'm missing your bed, I never sleep, avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak, and this bottle of beast is taking me home. I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets, you're not alone and you're not descreet. You make sure I know who's taking you home. I'm reading your note over again, there's not a word that I comprehend, except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"~

+Quote Post
emiliza
post Jun 5 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #20

math head

Member No.: 488

Always. I always double my tax. Even if the server is horrible, and the food was nasty. A tip just seems right. My parents tip, my relatives tip, I was brought up to tip people. It's just generosity I guess =/

[When I first read this, I thought it was cow-tipping.. hehe]

+Quote Post
Ocean!
post Jun 5 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #21

Worrying

Member No.: 745

I double the GST and round it up usualy, depencing on the restaurant. Hmmm, I always was taught that 15 percent is good.

Once my sister got 110 percent. o_0

Anyways, my sister was a waitress, so I've known that a portion of their tips go to cooks etc. so I always tip at least 15% sometimes more if the service was good.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Jun 5 2004, 05:20 AM
Post #22

Shut up, noob!

WHen I go to this place called The Surf with my dad or uncle or whomever I'm working with, we always tip the hell out of the bartended Michelle, often 40-50%. The reason we do that is because she's an absolute sweetie. I always leave her a dollar with a note written on it reading something akin to, "This is Michelle's dollar. It is not to be spent by any other than Michelle until after it is used by Michelle herself. Blah, blah, blah." I think that the thought can count as much as the tip itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
antagony
post Jun 5 2004, 06:22 AM
Post #23

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 560

Never. Not because I'm rude or inconsiderate; it's just not done in Singapore. If I were to tip someone, they'd just wonder what I was doing.

--------------------
THE SKY'S GONE OUT!

Urban Freakshow now has a forum // Do you blog here often?

+Quote Post
AcidRose
post Jun 5 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #24

More proficient guppy

Member No.: 1,156

I myself am a waitress, and I always tip 20%. I just started, but I'm fairly good. And some of the time for bad service, the waitress is helping other workers, or other tables. Espically on busy nights. So, if you arent a tipper, cut us some slack. smile.gif We need money too.

+Quote Post
AcidRose
post Jun 5 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #25

More proficient guppy

Member No.: 1,156

QUOTE (phoenix @ May 29 2004, 04:54 AM)
my hourly wage is $2.13 an hour), so tips are my main source of income. now i work in a at a small diner with less then desirable clientele, who do not know how to tip properly. i cannot tell you how many times i have been stiffed or short tipped (less then 10% which i have to claim for taxes). its instances like that, that tips should be added to bills that are over a certain amount, or a party with a high amount of people in it. this is because (now this is just me, cant speak for all waitresses/ers) i run my bum off for my tables. and to go back and collect my tip after a table of 6-8 with a bill of $50+ and see three cruppled up dollar bills laying in the mess of crumbs after all the effort i put into them well... its not a happy moment, lets just say that.

(note: I edited the quote, just cut parts out...)
That is horrible. Our food isnt exactly '5 Star Hotel Restraunt' expensive, but its up there.. Anyways, I had a table of 8 come in during Memorial Day Weekend, and the place was busy. And it was my 3rd day. I explaned to them that I was new, and they said they understood. I got my tip.. six dollars. SIX DOLLARS?! For a table of 8, the bill was at least 50 bucks. I was so mad!! Which is why, you should always, ALWAYS, CUT YOUR WAITRESS SOME SLACK! rolleyes.gif Remember that next time you go out and get a shy new waitress. ^.^

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:12 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!